The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Yes' date=' they go through. If your trunk lid has a liner that is a pain. I had my liner re-done after the paint job so the chrome went on first.[/quote'] Thanks JN, looks like the bolt on set then is the correct set to buy.

Sonny if you engine is originally an 81 I can't understand what a lead supplement would do for you. Besides being used as an anti-knock additive for high compression engines in the muscle car heyday' date=' lead was a lubricant and impact absorber for valves and valve seats. Many an engine designed for leaded fuel has burned out it's valves and seats over time due to the lack of lead in the gas. In 1981, however the metallurgy of the valves, valve seats and valve guides were such that these issues were no longer significant. Now of course even further improvements in metallurgy have probably taken place since then to make the valves and seats last even longer, but if they are in good shape now they will probably be good for many many miles of enjoyment! And btw I have an '81 Chevy engine (a built straight six!)in my Jag so I have looked into this myself![/quote']
Jagvic so the manfactures say but for the most part the engine in the C3 corvettes were essentally the same as they were before the energy crisis and the emissions BS ala 1967 when the 350 was first introducedso while they were detuned to run on it' date=' it might preserve and further improve perfomance if he did add a lead additive.Also Dont forget that they want you to buy next years model too so if that was the case gm wouldnt have told you.Camera and jurrasic I remember reading that the stunt testarossa had a foam filled float of some sort that insulated the carburetor so that the gas wouldnt slosh around during a stunt, do you guys know if the daytona had that as well?[/quote'] Yeah I think the additive is for prolonging the engine life and for some performance enhancement.

Actually that is an optical illusion. The tires are 215s and the gap at the top of the wheel wells makes it look like it sits higher. The car actually sits so low that it drags on speed bumps (no joke!).The MV cars sat very low as well' date=' but had 235s on them so the wheel wells looked fuller. Carl Roberts said both cars had some damage on the bottom from the streets of Miami being full of dips (ala the end of HIT LIST). He said the stunt car had taken a beating in the midsection of the frame.[/quote'] So I watched a few of my favorite scenes again last night and started thinking about this. Have they changed the way tires are labeled since the 70s? I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about vintage tires, but if we were talking about today's tires then the only difference between 215s and 235s is that they would be wider, they wouldn't have any difference in circumference and thus wouldn't fill out the wheel wells any differently, right? It would be the profile, whether they were 45, 50, 55, etc. I haven't paid too much attention because my tires have plenty of tread left on them but when I gotta get new ones I may want to change it up a bit.-Brian W

So I watched a few of my favorite scenes again last night and started thinking about this. Have they changed the way tires are labeled since the 70s? I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about vintage tires' date=' but if we were talking about today's tires then the only difference between 215s and 235s is that they would be wider, they wouldn't have any difference in circumference and thus wouldn't fill out the wheel wells any differently, right? It would be the profile, whether they were 45, 50, 55, etc. I haven't paid too much attention because my tires have plenty of tread left on them but when I gotta get new ones I may want to change it up a bit.-Brian W[/quote'] The way it was explained to me, the 215 is the width, and the 45, 50, etc is a percentage of the width to give the height. SO a 215/60 is shorter than a 235/60. BUT, I am no expert. That is just how it was explained to me by a mechanic.

So I watched a few of my favorite scenes again last night and started thinking about this. Have they changed the way tires are labeled since the 70s? I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about vintage tires' date=' but if we were talking about today's tires then the only difference between 215s and 235s is that they would be wider, they wouldn't have any difference in circumference and thus wouldn't fill out the wheel wells any differently, right? It would be the profile, whether they were 45, 50, 55, etc. I haven't paid too much attention because my tires have plenty of tread left on them but when I gotta get new ones I may want to change it up a bit.-Brian W[/quote']BrianHeight can vary due to the ratio of tire height to width and the wheel diameter--- both are part of the tire code. Have a look herehttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

Got it, thanks guys! Like I said, haven't done any tire research yet but in a couple years will need to dig in. Will look to see what I've got on mine today and take a pic under my nose as well, pretty sure I have a scoop to direct air up to the engine.-Brian W

Sonny I just thought of something are you going to go with the way the headrests looked in the pilot along with the tailpipes Eingefügtes Bild

0:22or are you going to go with the way those two things looked post pilot?

Sonny I just thought of something are you going to go with the way the headrests looked in the pilot along with the tailpipes Eingefügtes Bild

0:22or are you going to go with the way those two things looked post pilot?
RE the tailpipes, assume you mean separated and not angled? No I would not go with that look. I want to move them out from center a bit but like their angled appearance.Re headrests, not recalling exactly but think there may have been a moveable pad there? Not sure I like that either. More interested in the seats the way they are in both seasons except may not do the black stripe in back. Trying to recall but think that was S2 and now is not on the camera car anymore.As per Jagvic's comment I do think we need a detailed summary of what was on the car for each season and the pilot. Today was trying to recall if the outside of the windshield frame has chrome on it or not.

yeah separated and not angled.with the headrests I'm not sure it looks like they may have been part of the seat and not removable, but then again they may have been after finding this:http://www.corvettesouth.com/corvette-seat-covers-90/seat-covers-c3-68-82-273/68-69-c3-headrest-foams-398080.htmland there wasnt just a black stripe on there, I noticed that it went down the entire back of the seat after seeing this:yeah that may not be such a bad idea to make a seasons guide for it and the chrome was never there on car 4, it was a car 1 thing and only a S1 deal as it was removed for S2Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892963463923_thumb.jpg

Regarding the black on the lower part of the seat back I believe that is carpet just like the stock Vette seats had, and I believe JN addressed this already and told of having this done to his seats and using the Vette originals as patterns?Also as far as making a summary to document things - I'm not very knowledgeable about what this site can support, but would anyone know if we can attach a spreadsheet as an attachment and archive it so that it can't be changed? That might be a good way to start. I could give it a start and we could all input our info and then would suggest we send it to JN and CD for their final approval before we consider it done, and maybe even have them assigned as the only ones who can edit it in the future? In any case, first question is what are our options to archive things here?

Not sure but I think what we could do is basically add another section to the glossary/hardware/cars section called "The Daytona: Seasons changes" and sticky it to the hardware section on the forums detailing all the things that were changed on it during its appearances on the show, and afterwards.Although I dont have S1 on my computer anymore, save for the last episode "Lombard" so we'd have to go with what we have concerning its appearances during S1

and on a side note did all of the C3 corvette convertibles have a chrome strip running along the top of the windshied or was it an option to leave them chromed like on the camera car or get them painted to match the body like on jurrasics here?Eingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892963464109_thumb.jpg

Regarding the black on the lower part of the seat back I believe that is carpet just like the stock Vette seats had' date=' and I believe JN addressed this already and told of having this done to his seats and using the Vette originals as patterns?Also as far as making a summary to document things - I'm not very knowledgeable about what this site can support, but would anyone know if we can attach a spreadsheet as an attachment and archive it so that it can't be changed? That might be a good way to start. I could give it a start and we could all input our info and then would suggest we send it to JN and CD for their final approval before we consider it done, and maybe even have them assigned as the only ones who can edit it in the future? In any case, first question is what are our options to archive things here?[/quote'] Yes that is correct the black you see in the center back is black Wilton carpet. I have the same thing in the back of my current seats as well. I will definitely duplicate that just with new carpeting. Think on your document question we need to PM the mods, either Timm525 or Ferrariman to ask.

and on a side note did all of the C3 corvette convertibles have a chrome strip running along the top of the windshied or was it an option to leave them chromed like on the camera car or get them painted to match the body like on jurrasics here?Eingefügtes Bild

Mine also has a chrome strip there and that is the point of contact for the convertible top. Not sure of the Vettes.

Just a side note Sonny I updated the above post with photos and I just thought of this' date=' the shift nob was covered in tan leather just like the seats[/quote'] Nice close-up and mine is the same, even with the round knob. But this reminds me I need to see if the other knob is available --recall the one JN was describing that had kind of an oblong shape (can't find the pic just now)

Nice close-up and mine is the same' date=' even with the round knob. But this reminds me I need to see if the other knob is available --recall the one JN was describing that had kind of an oblong shape (can't find the pic just now)[/quote'] Yeah has anyone ever identified what that original tapered knob used during filming was from? I mean I do not think there was a big aftermarket for Corvette AUTOMATIC shift knobs! So it had to have the correct GM thread and also the hole for the lockout button. Could it possibly be from a Firebird, or a Monza, or a Malibu etc?

I thought it may have been a repurposed handbrake lever from another C3.

Yes, the shape in the right hand pic is what I'm after to try and replicate.

Jagvic, sorry for the delay - here are some shots of the flares under the nose as you requested. Not really significant enough to form an air dam. Eingefügtes Bild

Sonny - THANKS! That shows me exactly what I need, and I see what you mean about not much of an air dam. It's too bad the original McBurnie design didn't incorporate an air scoop like the real Daytonas had, it sure would have helped cooling, PLUS that part of the body was just plain old easy to touch up flat black on Ferraris!

post-10068-13892963464996_thumb.jpg

I thought the MV daytona had an airscoop down there, it seemed like it judging from these photos: On the other hand it might have just been a metal plate that the camera's were mounted to.http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRstk4319Xwe3GbZrH6kydaYZQeg3DfBK5d38VF6YGienJaguku

post-592-13892963465212_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963465386_thumb.jpg