The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

and on a side note did all of the C3 corvette convertibles have a chrome strip running along the top of the windshied or was it an option to leave them chromed like on the camera car or get them painted to match the body like on jurrasics here?Eingefügtes Bild

That is a standard item on convertible Vettes. The Carl Roberts cars have a fiberglass piece that surrounds the windshield and tries to replicate the Ferrari look. That is what I have. The chrome piece is fairly expensive (last used on the 75 Vette, so a classic part) and I have seen it for over $600. Still looking.

Ah I see and do you know if rowley corvette has a part like that as well?Sonny what do you think about that, is that something you'd like to add to your car or leave the chrome strip as it is?

also as I sidenote did the stuntcar have a different licence plate they used when they shot on open roads, the plate here in florance italy seems to be something other that zaq 178

post-592-13892963465514_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963465712_thumb.jpg

also as I sidenote did the stuntcar have a different licence plate they used when they shot on open roads' date=' the plate here in florance italy seems to be something other that zaq 178[/quote'] That is the actual tag issued to the Camera Car. Good catch Kavinsky, I knew the tag existed, but had not noticed it on any of the episodes. The photo above from Florence Italy is of the Camera Car (note the sunvisors).[ATTACH=CONFIG]3145[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963465898_thumb.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3145&d=1297716278Looks kinda close to the tag on the testarossa actually, wonder if they got sick of switching the tag on the daytona and just decided to make the on screen tag the same as the on road tag.also Sonny I should be done with your photos in alittle while here, about another 2-3 days and Ill send them to you, I need to convert them to jpg and rename them yet before I can send them to you.

post-592-13892963467635_thumb.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3145&d=1297716278Looks kinda close to the tag on the testarossa actually' date=' wonder if they got sick of switching the tag on the daytona and just decided to make the on screen tag the same as the on road tag.also Sonny I should be done with your photos in alittle while here, about another 2-3 days and Ill send them to you, I need to convert them to jpg and rename them yet before I can send them to you.[/quote'] I think it was just an oversight, like the total lack of tag in the chase in ONE WAY TICKET. And I knew about this tag, but I am assuming that when the cars were titled in Florida finally that the Stunt Car had a tag other than ZAQ178. The Z series was only for cars leased or rented. Once the cars were purchased by Universal they would have had to have new tags issued.

Does that stil apply to the Z tag down there nowadays?Also does the MV car, car 4 still has that gas tank set up that it did in the show where it was split up amongst two tanks like you explained? and do you have any idea what exactly this is underneath the MV Cars, is a mounting plate for the cameras or is it an air duct of some sort?http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140&stc=1&d=1297659476

post-592-13892963506808_thumb.jpg

No, Florida changed that policy shortly after MV began filming. Several tourist were attacked leaving Miami International in cars that the crooks made to be rentals by the tag number. Some were killed. The State changed the policy.Car 4 has a standard Vette tank, just mounted low in the rear (and visible in most shots from the rear). The authentic Ferrari 365GTS has the split tank that I described. The picture on the left is of the trunk with the spare out and the cross-over pipe visible. The picture on the right shows a Daytona being reassembled with the tanks (off white) on each side.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3158[/ATTACH][i think what you are seeing is the cross-member that holds the end of the transmission and the exhaust in place in the middle of the car. That is the lowest spot on my car, and the area where most of the dragging takes place when clearance is a problem. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3159[/ATTACH]JN

post-109-13892963468592_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963468806_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963469_thumb.jpg

Yeah that does make sense with crossmember and it does fit since it looks like the nose there on the MV car is alittle warped in that shot from S2's definitely miami, probably from this in the first season:Eingefügtes Bildand that would explain why it seemed like the bottom was abit flatter in the second season and thus drew more light underneath the car than it used to in S1, one of the things I was wondering about with it.Eingefügtes Bildand I see what you mean about the gas tank on the real daytona, I thought maybe you were talking about the MV car when you said that a few pages agoEingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892963469199_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963469403_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296346959_thumb.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3145&d=1297716278Looks kinda close to the tag on the testarossa actually' date=' wonder if they got sick of switching the tag on the daytona and just decided to make the on screen tag the same as the on road tag.also Sonny I should be done with your photos in alittle while here, about another 2-3 days and Ill send them to you, I need to convert them to jpg and rename them yet before I can send them to you.[/quote'] Appreciated and please, take your time on this. Know you are a busy guy. :thumbsup:

3157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3158[/ATTACH][i think what you are seeing is the cross-member that holds the end of the transmission and the exhaust in place in the middle of the car. That is the lowest spot on my car, and the area where most of the dragging takes place when clearance is a problem. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3159[/ATTACH]JN

I have a cross beam there as well - maybe that is it.

Just a quick note, the center console that goes over the gauges is burlwood, and the carpet that went under the glove box and the space next to the driver side which was some sort of ferrari brown was rigged up to match it.you did order the right wood Sonny right? you said you ordered something in wood a few pages ago.

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/images/KDPics/daytonajump.jpgand that would explain why it seemed like the bottom was abit flatter in the second season and thus drew more light underneath the car than it used to in S1, one of the things I was wondering about with it.Eingefügtes Bildand I see what you mean about the gas tank on the real daytona, I thought maybe you were talking about the MV car when you said that a few pages agoEingefügtes Bild

In the first pic it looks like the frame is bent and the nose is about 15 degrees up from where it should be. Not good. Poor Daytona.... :thumbsdown:

Just a quick note' date=' the center console that goes over the gauges is burlwood, and the carpet that went under the glove box and the space next to the driver side which was some sort of ferrari brown was rigged up to match it.you did order the right wood Sonny right? you said you ordered something in wood a few pages ago.[/quote'] Yep I know that but no haven't ordered as I saw only Rosewood on the website. Has anyone seen the burlwood trim pieces for the center console and instrument cluster?

I found this http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-center-dash-and-console-trim-kit-for-cars-with-air-conditioning-burlwood-1977-1980.htmland it looks pretty closeEingefügtes Bildbut no such luck with the shift nob, I'm starting to think that in addition to the AC controls off a Mercedes Markadian Might have modded a shift nob off one of them to work on the MV car.

CameraDaytona or JNCan you tell me the outside diameter of the steering wheel in the camera car pls?ThnxS-B

Just bumping this and asking if CameraDaytona has time to ck this for me please.

Just a quick note' date=' the center console that goes over the gauges is burlwood, and the carpet that went under the glove box and the space next to the driver side which was some sort of ferrari brown was rigged up to match it.you did order the right wood Sonny right? you said you ordered something in wood a few pages ago.[/quote'] The wood pieces that Ecklers has are not trimmed between the gauges, like the show car. You can find vendors who sell the correct trim in the correct wood color, but they are not real wood. That is what I ended up with, but if you look long enough you will find one who does both. After I got mine done, I found out that most of these places will do a custom job for you if they have the original mold to go from (78-82 Vette).Not sure the brown of the carpet is a Ferrari color, but is a wool carpet. A high end upholstery shop can match that for sure. Mercedes, BMW and most of the other more common luxury cars use the same type of carpet. (If you say it is for a Ferrari, it will cost like a Ferrari)

True but what is the diameter of yours and camera daytonas momo veloce wheel, is it 12.5 as this one and this is kinda time sensitvehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Momo-Veloce-Steering-Wheel-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e616db57aQQitemZ130483598714QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesand have you ever looked around for that odd shift nob the car had during its run?

post-592-13892963470727_thumb.jpg

Not sure on the steering wheel. I bought a standard MOMO and added the logo. I just ordered a wooden knob similar in shape, but matching the wood trim. Will not know for sure if it fits till it arrives, but the mechanism is fairly simple.JN

Okay Sonny I just looked at the momo website and they seem to vary in diameter from 12.5 inches to about 14 so it seems like the most logical thing to do would be to take a ruler to your current steering wheel and see how close it gets.and its 12.5 from one edge of the wheel to the horn, not the total length which would be 2 feet 1 inch so I think that wheel should fit your carhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Momo-Veloce-Steering-Wheel-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e616db57aQQitemZ130483598714QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesor you could go for the full asembly here:http://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/montecarlo-steering-wheel-2.htmlhttp://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/hubs/chevrolet-hubs.htmlhttp://www.momousa.com/products/horn-button-yellow-arrow.htmlI made the same mistake actually I thought that was the total diamiter of the wheel, not just the diamiter (its been awhile since I really thought about diamiter so I'm a little rusty)also I found a possibile match for the shifter nob:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-88-Chevrolet-Corvette-4-3-Shift-Knob-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5addcc88e1QQitemZ390268225761QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesMiami Vice was first made in 84 when the C4 vette first came out so its possibile that this was retrofitted to the car along with the momo for the show

Okay Sonny I just looked at the momo website and they seem to vary in diameter from 12.5 inches to about 14 so it seems like the most logical thing to do would be to take a ruler to your current steering wheel and see how close it gets.and its 12.5 from one edge of the wheel to the horn' date=' not the total length which would be 2 feet 1 inch so I think that wheel should fit your car[/quote']First, thanks again for chasing this down...is appreciated. But not following your note. To me wheel diameter would be measured from the outside of the steering wheel edge to a point 180 degrees opposite on the wheel. Are you saying that is not how it is measured as I asked the seller to double ck his measurements. Reason is my current wheel outside diameter is larger.
I made the same mistake actually I thought that was the total diamiter of the wheel, not just the diamiter (its been awhile since I really thought about diamiter so I'm a little rusty)
Sounds like you're referring to the circumference?
also I found a possibile match for the shifter nob:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-88-Chevrolet-Corvette-4-3-Shift-Knob-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5addcc88e1QQitemZ390268225761QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesMiami Vice was first made in 84 when the C4 vette first came out so its possibile that this was retrofitted to the car along with the momo for the show
Now that is an interesting knob.

Sorry I'm getting radius and diameter mixed up, but I think the seller did the same I mean 12.5?thats one total foot and the wheel would be way too small the seller MUST mean radius not diamiter

Sorry I'm getting radius and diameter mixed up' date=' but I think the seller did the same I mean 12.5?thats one total foot and the wheel would be way too small the seller MUST mean radius not diamiter[/quote'] I double-checked my current steering wheel and its diameter is 13.5". 12.5 seems a little small but would really like to know what is in the Camera Car. Maybe I will PM Camera now. The ones sold on the other sites you referenced were 330MM and 350MM which is 13" and 13.8" respectively, so the wheel I am looking at is definitely smaller .