The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I also don't think they were actually pockets but just an arm rest according to all the views I've been able to find. Certainly they are rather plain and not very Ferrari-esque! It's just too bad Camera's car didn't still have them - I mean there should be one car around that looks EXACT ...And yeah the Jag will be a fun ride when it's done' date=' and there are very few 1970's XJ-Ss remaining - they all rotted away years ago![/quote'] Here is a shot of the other car Mark Cichetti did the interior for. It was red. Looks to me like a standard Vette door pull is covered with a fiberglass shell to change the overall look. But, I agree that I don't think it is a pocket.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3128[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963463367_thumb.jpg

Testa--what's that? ;)Thanks for the links to Leno. I was thinking of installing something under the new carpet to prevent heat intrusion and this may be it. When driving in the summer and stopping, because the car sits so low to the pavement, it really builds up heat in the interior fast.

Testa--what's that? ;)Thanks for the links to Leno. I was thinking of installing something under the new carpet to prevent heat intrusion and this may be it. When driving in the summer and stopping' date=' because the car sits so low to the pavement, it really builds up heat in the interior fast.[/quote'] Think he means Testarossa.Yes, Dynamat is a good investment. Cuts down on heat and road noise. The Vette floorpan is notorious for getting hot in the summer, between the exhaust and the highway heat.

Think he means Testarossa.
I know.....was joking.
Yes' date=' Dynamat is a good investment. Cuts down on heat and road noise. The Vette floorpan is notorious for getting hot in the summer, between the exhaust and the highway heat.[/quote'] Sounds like you installed it as well. Did you make any other mechanical changes we haven't talked about yet on the interior? I know you said Roberts built your car, and assume it was the McBurnie panels, and other than replacing worn components like all of us, were you faced with making any major mechanical or body changes? Still can't locate the P6 in a 235 size. Wondering if anyone knows a close tire in that size?

not sure, ill have to look around but I remember someone mentioning that theres a particuar tire company that makes tires in old sizes, like the 15 inch wheels the muscle cars used.and I remembered reading that they are literally the only ones who make tires in the right size for the lamborghini miura anymore as well. I think it was goodyear eagles, not sure though (and also make sure the tire is rated for the proper speed if you do decide to go racing with it)http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/muscle-cars/1970-dodge-challenger-rt-update/also you may want to start documenting everything you do to your car and put it all in a folder to go along with it and set up a checklist on what to change on your car and when, not only will it help the value of the car but it will help preserve your car, like on an aircraft.It is a 27 years old now and to preserve it I think you need to change stuff like the clutch fluid, brake fluid and alike once a year to help preserve the mechanicalsplus if you dont already I would recomend having a fire extinguisher with you at all times just as a precaution, any older car can go up regardless if its fuel injected or carbed and if it does remember to shut the engine off otherwise the fuel pump will keep fueling the fire, literally!and also having a battery disconnect installed wouldnt be such a bad idea either:http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/super-cars/1967-lamborghini-miura-p400/

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/muscle-cars/1970-dodge-challenger-rt-update/also you may want to start documenting everything you do to your car and put it all in a folder to go along with it and set up a checklist on what to change on your car and when, not only will it help the value of the car but it will help preserve your car, like on an aircraft.It is a 27 years old now and to preserve it I think you need to change stuff like the clutch fluid, brake fluid and alike once a year to help preserve the mechanicalsplus if you dont already I would recomend having a fire extinguisher with you at all times just as a precaution, any older car can go up regardless if its fuel injected or carbed and if it does remember to shut the engine off otherwise the fuel pump will keep fueling the fire, literally!and also having a battery disconnect installed wouldnt be such a bad idea either:http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/super-cars/1967-lamborghini-miura-p400/

I think this size in the P6 may be discontinued and, if so, I want to match the size of the tires on the camera car because I like the way the bigger tires complement the stance of the Daytona. So maybe what I need is to find a tire that looks similar in tread and has appropriate performance ratings, as you mentioned. The documentation thing is a good idea, for a lot of reasons, as well as insurance as I am insuring it as a classic car at a specific value. But I have already added about $8K to its value since purchase. On the age thing, actually the chassis and engine components are now 30 years old this year and good idea on the maintenance. I'll ask the experienced Vette mechanics about this next time in. They are also recommending I think a lead supplement for the engine. Have you ever heard of that? Fire extinguisher :eek: ....never thought of that one. Now that would really upset me if that happened. Another good idea of yours....Yeah my battery has already crapped out this winter and had to re-charge it. Assume you are referring to storage? I plan to put an alarm system in it this year so probably have to leave the battery connected.

Lead suplement? that's kind of odd since I thought post 76 cars didn't need it, what year was your car made?if its really an issue I think you can get the head redone to run on unleaded gasoline (or replace it with a modern 350 crate engine)but to my knowledge it was more a compression issue on the american engines of that time period than anything else that alot of people fixed by lowering the compression. rather than for lubrication, which is what I think alot of people say the lead was used for.yeah and I meant for storage and I guess that was well timed with your battery actually I was going to suggest going with this, rather than a normal battery considering its location behind the seat:http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/car-parts/agm-spiral-cell-car-batteries/

Yeah concerning that fire thing I've read about an Ferrari F40 catching fire at a race meet where he fueled the fire by not shutting the engine off and I've personally seen a Ford T bird, one of the tvo's from either the late 80's or early 1990's on fire driving down the highway in the late 1990's that the owner couldnt do a damn thing about except to watch it burn.

No I checked that's what it wasEingefügtes Bild

JN or CameraDaytona, re the top trunk lettering FERRARI--Are your trunk letters bolted/screwed to the trunk? One set I looked at attaches in that manner, but am not crazy about punching holes in the body.

Mine's an '81 and the Vette mechanic knows it very well. I think he said this supplement is to lubricate the engine as lead apparently is a natural lubricant. I'll need to ask again in the spring. But no, I am running on premium unleaded gas.I think the last owner put a cheap battery in there as well that I need to change out.

a beatyful car :cool::clap:

Make sure you look through this thread and you will see pictures of the Camera Car that was actually used in the show. It is owned by a private individual and member of this Forum' date=' CameraDaytona. [i']That is the Holy Grail of all things Vice, IMO.

What do you mean by But no, I am running on premium unleaded gas.as in running it on unleaded is not an issue?and heres where I first heard of having the head redone to run better on unleaded gasoline, not sure if anyones doing this for corvettes though:1:30

JN or CameraDaytona' date=' re the top trunk lettering FERRARI--Are your trunk letters bolted/screwed to the trunk? One set I looked at attaches in that manner, but am not crazy about punching holes in the body.[/quote'] Yes, they go through. If your trunk lid has a liner that is a pain. I had my liner re-done after the paint job so the chrome went on first.

I know.....was joking. Sounds like you installed it as well. Did you make any other mechanical changes we haven't talked about yet on the interior? I know you said Roberts built your car' date=' and assume it was the McBurnie panels, and other than replacing worn components like all of us, were you faced with making any major mechanical or body changes? Still can't locate the P6 in a 235 size. Wondering if anyone knows a close tire in that size?[/quote'] This is as close as you can come to the P6.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P600&partnum=36WR5600&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Sonny if you engine is originally an 81 I can't understand what a lead supplement would do for you. Besides being used as an anti-knock additive for high compression engines in the muscle car heyday, lead was a lubricant and impact absorber for valves and valve seats. Many an engine designed for leaded fuel has burned out it's valves and seats over time due to the lack of lead in the gas. In 1981, however the metallurgy of the valves, valve seats and valve guides were such that these issues were no longer significant. Now of course even further improvements in metallurgy have probably taken place since then to make the valves and seats last even longer, but if they are in good shape now they will probably be good for many many miles of enjoyment! And btw I have an '81 Chevy engine (a built straight six!)in my Jag so I have looked into this myself!

Jagvic' date=' I'll take some underneath shots and send them to you later tonite. I just had a look and the flares do in fact run continuously underneath the nose to the other side. But the cowling underneath prevents it from acting like an air dam. Speaking of which, the Vette shop that works on my car told me that one of the reasons my temp runs a little hot in the summer is because there is an air flow vent/dam under the '81 Vette (my chassis) body for cooling that the McBurnie body did not include. Of course it also doesn't help that one of my 2 cooling fans is disconnected from the AC controls. When I redo the interior and replace the dash I have to find the solenoid and reconnect it. Hope that helpsThanks Kavinsky for the comment -- I am also fond of this car. ;)S-B[/quote'] Oh and Sonny you were going to get a pic of the underside of the nose on your car??

The engine was definitely replaced. The engine pad on the front of the block (in front of head on passenger side) was a different shape on a 1981 and would have the VIN number and engine assembly date on it. The pad on the MV car is the later model shape and is not stamped indicating an over-the-counter crate engine. The 81 was only about a year old when purchased by Mardikian for conversion to the Daytona' date=' so I would be much surprised if it had an engine swap and if so, the engine should still have had the "thinner" pad (if replaced in 81 or 82).The carb is a double-pumper Holley and the intake is aluminum. The valve covers are black with polished aluminum strips. I will take pictures of the engine, headers, etc next week for you.I believe the trans is a 400.[/quote'] Camera Daytona hasn't had a chance to get on here with the pics of his engine yet, but I'm wondering if you (Jurassic Narc) know anything about the exhaust on his car when you checked it out?

Jagvic so the manfactures say but for the most part the engine in the C3 corvettes were essentally the same as they were before the energy crisis and the emissions BS ala 1967 when the 350 was first introducedso while they were detuned to run on it, it might preserve and further improve perfomance if he did add a lead additive.Also Dont forget that they want you to buy next years model too so if that was the case gm wouldnt have told you.Camera and jurrasic I remember reading that the stunt testarossa had a foam filled float of some sort that insulated the carburetor so that the gas wouldnt slosh around during a stunt, do you guys know if the daytona had that as well?

Jagvic so the manfactures say but for the most part the engine in the C3 corvettes were essentally the same as they were before the energy crisis and the emissions BS ala 1967 when the 350 was first introducedso while they were detuned to run on it' date=' it might preserve and further improve perfomance if he did add a lead additive.Also Dont forget that they want you to buy next years model too so if that was the case gm wouldnt have told you.Camera and jurrasic I remember reading that the stunt testarossa had a foam filled float of some sort that insulated the carburetor so that the gas wouldnt slosh around during a stunt, do you guys know if the daytona had that as well?[/quote'] I remember reading the same thing. Never heard anything about the Daytona. Might be something to ask Carl about the next time I see him. He might remember what that was all about.

This thread has GOT to be the most indepth, most comprehensive info on the VICE Daytonas that exists! :thumbsup::thumbsup:Way to go fellas! :clap: