The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I'm confused. JN - we know that my car now has the black center spinner caps. Do you think these were on during its use in the series or did Carl change them after he got the car?

It appears they were changed at some point, judging by these stills compared to your wheel now...

post-592-13892963429809_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963429937_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963430119_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jagvic for posting these --now I see what JN was getting at.But when I said flared I meant that the blades were angled outward from the wheels away from the center plane of the blades. That is on the pic in the show Kavinsky posted earlier and teh same with my Zenith wheels and spinners. So these pics you have are Swept but not flared out at all that I can see but the last pic from Kavinsky shows the blades not only Swept but also flared. Different from what I think had been discussed as on the car during S1.Just trying to establish exactly what the spinners looked like during filming.

Gotcha! As far as I understand it the spinners were STRAIGHT and FLARED from construction by McBurnie til today, with only the center emblems changed. However I'll defer to JN or CD to give final confirmation on this - them being our experts!

post-10068-13892963430313_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963430513_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963430671_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963430775_thumb.jpg

Yeah Camera they were changed, along with the door pannels, the center console from wood to black plastic, the shifter back to a ball type the radio from a tape deck to a cd player in 87 and the plexyglass on the nosethe spinners in laymens terms like these:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3070&stc=1&d=1296868742except that they stick out at a 30 degree angle from the car

post-592-13892963430981_thumb.jpg

I'm confused. JN - we know that my car now has the black center spinner caps. Do you think these were on during its use in the series or did Carl change them after he got the car?

All the photos of the car during the series have the gold caps. Even the photos Carl took after he got the car have gold caps. They were changed at some point after the car came to Carl.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3079[/ATTACH]The cap pictured on the left is a Zenith (just a screen capture from their site-not anywhere close to the color used on the show car at any time), the same company that made the caps for the Camera Car (both the original gold and the current black caps). On the right is a Dayton cap in the (approx.) correct gold color.And again, sorry that I am having to jot off these quick replys that end up confusing everyone. (They make perfect sense to me) But business is good, and I try to shoot something back when I can but should take a little more time.........JN

post-109-13892963431084_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3079[/ATTACH]The cap pictured on the left is a Zenith (just a screen capture from their site-not anywhere close to the color used on the show car at any time)' date=' the same company that made the caps for the Camera Car (both the original gold and the current black caps). On the right is a Dayton cap in the (approx.) correct gold color.And again, sorry that I am having to jot off these quick replys that end up confusing everyone. (They make perfect sense to me) But business is good, and I try to shoot something back when I can but should take a little more time.........JN[/quote'] JN - just to get it on record - what is the correct text that should be under the eagle on the proper gold Zenith center emblem?

JN - just to get it on record - what is the correct text that should be under the eagle on the proper gold Zenith center emblem?

Found this close up of the Camera Car. Same cap' date=' different color.[ATTACH=CONFIG']3080[/ATTACH]For CameraDaytona, this is from a shot of your car outside Roberts Motors, right after Carl got the cars. The cap is still gold.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3081[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963431336_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963431541_thumb.jpg

Differences between Season 1 and Season 2:The trim on the back of the seats. Season 1 no black strip, Season 2 a wide black strip.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3082[/ATTACH]The nose of the car and the headlight covers:Season 1 Ferrari emblem high above a clear plexi cover, Season 2 Ferrari emblem between the headlights which are covered with a tinted plexiglass.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3085[/ATTACH]The tonneau cover over the top was rare in Season 1, common in Season 2.

post-109-13892963431683_thumb.jpg

post-109-1389296343189_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963432073_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963432272_thumb.jpg

Differences between cars:Season 1 only, the stunt car (Car 1) had chrome trim around the windshield. (note-both pics are from DUTCH OVEN which was shown in Season 2, but filmed in Season 1, therefore the cars had not changed)[ATTACH=CONFIG]3088[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3089[/ATTACH]The dash of the Stunt car was like a 78-82 Vette. And had a black steering column.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3090[/ATTACH]and the stunt car never had sun visors, but the Camera Car did until the end of Season 2.

post-109-13892963432456_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963432654_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963432839_thumb.jpg

I had wondered about that with the dutch oven and can you show the full shot of the daytona there when carl got the cars?and I'm post a photo of the steering wheel here for sonny.

post-592-13892963433033_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963433219_thumb.jpg

I had wondered about that with the dutch oven and can you show the full shot of the daytona there when carl got the cars?and I'm post a photo of the steering wheel here for sonny.

Here are two.

post-109-13892963457299_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963457544_thumb.jpg

3087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3082[/ATTACH]The nose of the car and the headlight covers:Season 1 Ferrari emblem high above a clear plexi cover, Season 2 Ferrari emblem between the headlights which are covered with a tinted plexiglass.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3085[/ATTACH]The tonneau cover over the top was rare in Season 1, common in Season 2.

Nice photo comparative and comments ---thanks JN!

Yep, thanks, that's the one I'm planning to order. :thumbsup:

are you talking about that one I sent you the link to Sonny because that one is out of production now.These guys say they do have a veloce however:http://www.nengun.com/momo/veloceand these are the ones they make now that seems to be pretty close to the veloce one:http://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/mod-78-steering-wheel-2.htmlhttp://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/montecarlo-steering-wheel-2.htmlactually sonny do you want to fit the boat one off of a testarossa to your car?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-Steering-Wheel-OEM-Black-w-White-Stitching-NR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb2f47563QQitemZ200570860899QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

are you talking about that one I sent you the link to Sonny because that one is out of production now.These guys say they do have a veloce however:http://www.nengun.com/momo/veloceand these are the ones they make now that seems to be pretty close to the veloce one:http://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/mod-78-steering-wheel-2.htmlhttp://www.momousa.com/products/products/steering-wheels/montecarlo-steering-wheel-2.htmlactually sonny do you want to fit the boat one off of a testarossa to your car?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-Steering-Wheel-OEM-Black-w-White-Stitching-NR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb2f47563QQitemZ200570860899QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Yeah, its the Veloce. I looked this up a few months ago and found a site that had 2 different sizes. Need to find the site again so thanks for this.

yes' date=' there is a chromed bit of trim that includes the tag lights for the car. The lenses themselves are very fragile, and that item can cost more than $300. It is a Ferrari part, and I haven't found a cheaper replacement. I kept my eye on EBay and found one for $125.You might take a look though, cause many of the Italian cars use interchangeable parts. Might be that an Alfa part would fit.JN[/quote'] JNDo you remember what this part was called when you searched for it?Thx

Thnx. None of these vintage Ferrari parts are cheap' date=' as I learned when I bought replacement genuine Carello taillights. They were really pricey.[/quote'] Been there done that! None of the body parts are cheap. The front turn signal covers are ridiculous ($700+ each). Hang in there, once you get past the high dollar parts it gets easier.You also might try T Rutlands, here in Atlanta. Carl and some of the other replicar people used them for a while, then Ferrari made them ask for a Vehicle ID Number before they would sell Daytona parts. That is no longer the case, and while I wouldn't tell them it's for a replica, they do stock a huge supply of Ferrari parts and some remanufactured parts.JN

Been there done that! None of the body parts are cheap. The front turn signal covers are ridiculous ($700+ each). Hang in there' date=' once you get past the high dollar parts it gets easier.You also might try T Rutlands, here in Atlanta. Carl and some of the other replicar people used them for a while, then Ferrari made them ask for a Vehicle ID Number before they would sell Daytona parts. That is no longer the case, and while I wouldn't tell them it's for a replica, they do stock a huge supply of Ferrari parts and some remanufactured parts.JN[/quote'] Thnx for the reference JN, appreciate it very much. All the Carello lenses are very expensive I know. I do have a small crack on one of the front turn lenses and yes, have seen them go for that range. Have also seen reproductions of these lenses and even these are selling for outrageous prices. S-B

Thnx for the reference JN' date=' appreciate it very much. All the Carello lenses are very expensive I know. I do have a small crack on one of the front turn lenses and yes, have seen them go for that range. Have also seen reproductions of these lenses and even these are selling for outrageous prices. S-B[/quote'] Even though I have most everything in that line that I need, I still periodically search EBay for bargains. You never know when you might need a part.Good luck, and keep us up to date on your car!!

Well apart from one or two things Sonny I think I've just about covered everything with your car.I'll send you the final part in a little while but its some really small stuff but with the motor basically try and make the best of it. I'd say going for a crate motor should be one of your last options and if the motors in decient shape a few good parts should give the car quite an omph and hell if you want more power and your car does turn out to have 3:11 or 3:15 gears just switch them out for 3:75 and up and it should basically give you a huge jump in the acceleration deparment although it sort of a give and take thing since with higher gears comes less gas mileage and the 4:11 is considered to be a drag racing set up.

Well apart from one or two things Sonny I think I've just about covered everything with your car.I'll send you the final part in a little while but its some really small stuff but with the motor basically try and make the best of it. I'd say going for a crate motor should be one of your last options and if the motors in decient shape a few good parts should give the car quite an omph and hell if you want more power and your car does turn out to have 3:11 or 3:15 gears just switch them out for 3:75 and up and it should basically give you a huge jump in the acceleration deparment although it sort of a give and take thing since with higher gears comes less gas mileage and the 4:11 is considered to be a drag racing set up.

Thnx Kavinsky. Appreciate your thoughts and time on the car. :thumbsup:S-B

Even though I have most everything in that line that I need' date=' I still periodically search EBay for bargains. You never know when you might need a part.Good luck, and keep us up to date on your car!![/quote'] Thanks JN and will do. Looks like parts I still need are:78-82 dash assembly & gauges (FL shop didn't come thru), and replacement turn signal and cruise switchesrear tag light assembly in chromeMomo Veloce steering wheelTrunk chrome lettering "Ferrari", in scriptLeather tan tonneau cover (done later to match interior leather)front headlight lenses (clear or tinted)then all the interior components (carpet, leather, sound system)So need to begin sourcing these. ThnxS-B