The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Yeah the terminology with seats gets kinda confusing without photos to show you what exactly is what.

Yeah and I'm more of a visual than verbal person anyway...Many thanks again for all the pics you found, and for all the sleuthing you've been doing on the show Daytona. These questions and answers will really help me get my car as close to Camera's as I can. So keep on asking.....I noticed from your pics the other day that my tailpipes are slighty more centered than what appears to be on the show car. Would really like to see some down angle camera shots of the interior of Camera's car without the Tonneau cover installed. That will help in determining where the carpet ends in some places and the leather begins.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2973[/ATTACH]There is no backup light on the show cars. The seats were always fitted with the "Daytona stripes" on the seats themselves' date=' the black strip was only a single horizontal strip on the back of the seat added for Season two. The interior is very light saddle or tan leather with black wilton wool carpet. The carpet only covers the very bottom of the floor and across back to where the top is dropped into. The sides are all leather covered, including the well for the top. It appears that the cover is a tan carpet, because the inner wheel wells are covered with tan leather.I have included a small pic of the seat used in the pilot. If you watch the episode, you will note at some points that the M for Mardikian is noticeable in the headrest.[/quote'] JNWhere you commented "..the cover is a tan carpet ", do you mean the tonneau is tan with carpet on the underside? My cover material is like a heavy canvas --assume same on the show car Tonneau cover?ThnxS-B

KavinskyJN But where is that single black stripe added after S1 you were referring to? ThnxS-B

Second photo down on left. Look at Sonny's left shoulder. The stripe or strip of leather starts there and goes around the back of the seat shell. It is apparent in all the pics.

Second photo down on left. Look at Sonny's left shoulder. The stripe or strip of leather starts there and goes around the back of the seat shell. It is apparent in all the pics.

Yep, thanks, got it now. :thumbsup:

unfortunately I think this is one of the only times in the shows run that we really get a top down shot of the daytona with the tonau off

Think I need to borrow a microscope on this one.... :)But thanks for trying. Maybe CameraDaytona will take a look at this thread soon and he may have some down angle shots.

Maybe CameraDaytona will take a look at this thread soon and he may have some down angle shots.

I hope so - he is the only one that can answer what color is his engine block heads and manifold! (as well as some other details!)Oh and JurassicNarc did you have a chance to look underneath CameraDaytona's car? I am wondering what the exhaust is - true duals? Did it have converters or were they removed? Were the Monza tips mounted on mufflers, etc.

JNWhere you commented "..the cover is a tan carpet "' date=' do you mean the tonneau is tan with carpet on the underside? My cover material is like a heavy canvas --assume same on the show car Tonneau cover?ThnxS-B[/quote'] No, I am refering to the wheel well cover, it may appear to be tan carpet but it is in fact leather.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2991[/ATTACH]And the Camera Car now has speakers in the rear doors behind the seat, but the when it was on the show the speakers were in the doors and there were none in the rear.As to the tires, the car had on the show and has now Pirrelli P6 235/60 vr 15s. My car has 215s.JN

post-109-13892963415791_thumb.jpg

2991[/ATTACH]And the Camera Car now has speakers in the rear doors behind the seat, but the when it was on the show the speakers were in the doors and there were none in the rear.As to the tires, the car had on the show and has now Pirrelli P6 235/60 vr 15s. My car has 215s.JN

JNThanks again for this really good info. And the pic you posted shows the entire horizontal area behind the seats carpeted in Wilton black - looks good. Sorry for too many follow-ups on this but have another few. OK, the wheel well side area is leather, got it and assume so are entire 3 sides of rear decking as well?Re the speakers in the rear doors behind the seat, was not aware there were doors there. Thought earlier posts suggested a space under the tonneau cover just behind the seats? Can you describe where these doors are? If is in the back wall of the rear deck, that's where I have some speakers mounted now but there are no doors behind my seat. Re the tires, I had it in memory from before that Camera's were P225 vs P235. Can you confirm? Thanks again,S-B

S-B I think he means the doors to the storage and battery compartments in the floor of all S3 Vettes... This shows the early 3 door design, late 79-82 has a 2 door design

post-10068-13892963415989_thumb.jpg

S-B I think he means the doors to the storage and battery compartments in the floor of all S3 Vettes... This shows the early 3 door design' date=' late 79-82 has a 2 door design[/quote'] Hm... interesting and thanks for the diagram. So am guessing this is right behind the seats and is on the black carpeted deck shown in JN's earlier pic? I don't have this layout, actually have a slot running parallel to the seats for the battery and some wiring and then a second parallel slot for more wiring. Have a carpet-covered top for the slots. Then in the back of the deck (where the convertible top folds into) are 2 speakers mounted vertically in the back wall frame.By wheel well covers assume is referring to the slightly rounded areas in JNs pic just behind the seats protruding from the side deck walls?ThnxS-B

S-B can you post a pic of the battery area slots you are talking about? Maybe we can figure out what they modified on your car.... And also yes the rounded areas are what he is talking about.Meanwhile I noticed another odd thing in this pic- what is with the goofy sunvisors? Those aren't Corvette they look like they were handmade. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

post-592-13892963416185_thumb.jpg

I think he means this compartment at 2:04 and 2:45

some of the cars had a space for the battery in back to try and put some of the weight abit more rearword and sometimes people even moved the gas tank back there to even out the weight distribution of the car.and with the sun visors they were an on/off kinda thing, sometimes they'd be on the car sometimes they weren't, it was Miami in the summer after all.

I think he means this compartment at 2:04 and 2:45
some of the cars had a space for the battery in back to try and put some of the weight abit more rearword and sometimes people even moved the gas tank back there to even out the weight distribution of the car.and with the sun visors they were an on/off kinda thing' date=' sometimes they'd be on the car sometimes they weren't, it was Miami in the summer after all.[/quote'] Thanks- yeah this is almost exactly like mine - battery right behind the driver's seat in a long rectangular box running behind both seats. My visors are much smaller and black. To be replaced when I do the interior work.

Sorry I keep posting and then leaving you guys to decrypt my answers, but the drug business is good right now.The tires on the Camera Car are 235s. That is the size McBurnie installed on them originally. As far as I know, they kept what he had throughout the run of the show, and McBurnie installed the Zenith wires, also. (My car has 215s but I want to go up to 225s)The sunvisors are the stock Vette visors, which were not very good. By the end of Season two the visors were gone. But they are one of the ways to spot the Camera Car. The 76 doesn't have any provisions for visors in the windshield frame, they were done another way. So when the 76 was converted to match the 80 model the trim was put in place without visors.You are dead on about the area behind the seat. The Camera car still has the battery behind the driver. McBurnie cars have the battery just like a Vette. Carl Roberts cars have the battery either in the engine compartment, in the trunk or under the body. He mounted a gasoline tank behind the seats in order to have a full trunk with a spare tire underneath. That was a change I made as quickly as I could, as having 20 gallons of gasoline sloshing around where you can hear it is disconcerting. The carpet is dark black wilton wool, custom cut and laid in the car. The carpet on the bottom of the dash panels is a medium brown and matches nothing else in the car. The leather is a butter or very light natural color. Everything in the car, including the cover for the emergency brake, is covered in leather. The carpet in the seatbacks is in the same location that it would be in a stock Vette. In fact I used the carpet I took off the Vette as a go-by to cut the wool inserts.As far as I know, in talking to Mark Chichetti (who did the custom work on the interiors) only two cars were done this way (maybe Car 3 and Car 4 of the four McBurnie built for Mardikian). So the Camera car is very distinctive.Hope this helps out!!JN

JN - your last post brings up the question - whatever happened to the other two Mardikian cars?

I wish I knew. I keep looking on the net for one of them offered for sale. I suspect some of the other web detectives on this site do the same. JN

Sorry I keep posting and then leaving you guys to decrypt my answers' date=' but the drug business is good right now.The tires on the Camera Car are 235s. That is the size McBurnie installed on them originally. As far as I know, they kept what he had throughout the run of the show, and McBurnie installed the Zenith wires, also. (My car has 215s but I want to go up to 225s)[/quote']Thanks for clarifying --don't know why I thought they were 225s. Curious though why you don't want to go to the 235s? My zenith wire wheels are still in good shape but they require a special tool to remove and make changing a flat tire all but impossible. Btw, I don't have any room for a spare tire anyway if I want to use the trunk. Am guessing Camera doesn't either.
The sunvisors are the stock Vette visors, which were not very good. By the end of Season two the visors were gone.
I actually like the tan oversized visors shown. What does he have today?
You are dead on about the area behind the seat. The Camera car still has the battery behind the driver. McBurnie cars have the battery just like a Vette. The carpet is dark black wilton wool, custom cut and laid in the car.
Do you know if Camera has a down view of the back deck area with top off? On the rear speakers you mentioned, so they were mounted on the floor of the rear deck then pointing skyward? Wondering why they would not be mounted on the rear deck wall facing forward, as mine are? So now he only has door speakers?
The carpet on the bottom of the dash panels is a medium brown and matches nothing else in the car.
Do you know color and make/brand of this carpet?
The leather is a butter or very light natural color. Everything in the car, including the cover for the emergency brake, is covered in leather.
This one is high on my radar to get right. I really want to capture the correct color of the leather, which I think is Connolly (sp)? I have a swatch of Connolly from the seller of my car but is a little too brown I think. Have you seen anything that spells out color codes or some other identifier for the leather color?
The carpet in the seatbacks is in the same location that it would be in a stock Vette. In fact I used the carpet I took off the Vette as a go-by to cut the wool inserts.
Assume also black Wilton on the seat backs as well. So when you restored yours, did you go with the S1 door panels with the storage area or with the look in the camera car today? Think I like the latter and is similar to what I have now, though my leather is not in good shape. Did you go with the wide black stripe on the seat backs? Haven't decided on that yet?Thanks JNS-B

OK I found this pic of a stock Vette sun visor - it appears much thicker and padded that the one in the MV car. I think the ones on the show car may have been a flatter, slightly oversized version - maybe a prop to keep DJ's hair from getting too mussed up?

post-10068-13892963416372_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296341656_thumb.jpg

OK I found this pic of a stock Vette sun visor - it appears much thicker and padded that the one in the MV car. I think the ones on the show car may have been a flatter' date=' slightly oversized version - maybe a prop to keep DJ's hair from getting too mussed up?[/quote'] The original visors without the mirrors were thin just like the ones in the pictures. Replacement visors have more padding. I think those were just stock visors that had been recovered with leather.

Thanks for clarifying --don't know why I thought they were 225s. Curious though why you don't want to go to the 235s? My zenith wire wheels are still in good shape but they require a special tool to remove and make changing a flat tire all but impossible. Btw' date=' I don't have any room for a spare tire anyway if I want to use the trunk. Am guessing Camera doesn't either. I wanted Pirrelli P6s and can't find them in 235. Am still looking, but they are readily available in 225.I actually like the tan oversized visors shown. What does he have today?No visors on the car. Do you know if Camera has a down view of the back deck area with top off? On the rear speakers you mentioned, so they were mounted on the floor of the rear deck then pointing skyward? Wondering why they would not be mounted on the rear deck wall facing forward, as mine are? So now he only has door speakers? No, during the run of the show the speakers are in the door panels. The interim owner had them put in the lids behind the seats. Do you know color and make/brand of this carpet? No, sorry. This one is high on my radar to get right. I really want to capture the correct color of the leather, which I think is Connolly (sp)? I have a swatch of Connolly from the seller of my car but is a little too brown I think. Have you seen anything that spells out color codes or some other identifier for the leather color? Again, no. Assume also black Wilton on the seat backs as well. YesSo when you restored yours, did you go with the S1 door panels with the storage area or with the look in the camera car today? Think I like the latter and is similar to what I have now, though my leather is not in good shape. Did you go with the wide black stripe on the seat backs? Haven't decided on that yet?I have a door panel similar to the one on the Camera Car now, but with carpet on the bottom which matches the carpet on the bottom portion of my dash.Thanks JNS-B
Again, hope this helps.

Wow, I have been gone for a week and a half and there are 10 pages of new posts for this thread. I think JN has answered the questions about the Camera Car. If there are any unanswered, let me know. I do think there was a request for a picture of the rear compartment - which is shown below. This was taken by looking in through the driver's door with the seat folded forward. The entire section with the speakers in it (front half of the rear floor) folds up and the battery is under the driver's side and an empty compartment on the passender's side. (I don't know how to make the picture any larger.)Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1