The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I take it these were taken before you installed the new mirrors right and is there anything else thats been changed since this photo?

These shots were all taken this past summer and before I replaced the mirrors. No changes made to the exterior so far. What I plan for exterior changes this year are:Replacement of all tires (rears too big, fronts too small) all to P225sTan Tonneau cover for convertible top (I have black)replace headlights with newer brighter lightsPossibly (this year) remove drop down headlight covers and install tinted lensesWindshield replacement (has scratches and rock nicks)And need to switch position of rear amber and red taillights. Rewire amber to be the running lights instead of the reds. Jurassic --were the reds used for braking only or turn signal as well?

Jurassic --were the reds used for braking only or turn signal as well?

Reds are brake only, ambers are running and turn signal.

Thanks Jurassic for that info. Would be great if Roberts could actually produce the originals and maybe reinstall on Camera's car. Where did you source your tinted plexiglass from?

I located a place in Kennesaw, Georgia, where they sold sheets of plexiglass (actually they had another name for it, Plexiglass is a trade name). I already had a plexi cover and used it as a go-by. If you get a chance, email me a close up of your car's nose. I am guessing the plexiglass will popr right on over the nose, but it would be good to see a detail shot to be sure.JN

Are you sure the cars originally used Plexiglass and not Lexan? And even if they did perhaps you may want to choose Lexan anyway. Plexiglass is brittle in nature and has little impact resistance. It tends to crack and chip easily. The generic name for it is Lucite and it is actually an acrylic material (Polymethylmethacrylate or PMMA). Lexan is tougher than Plexiglass (it's actually used to make bulletpproof windows!), and can be impacted continously with little or no wear / cracks, chips etc. It is actually a polycarbonate material and looks just like Plexiglass, though it costs 2-3 times as much. Just my 2 cents, guys!And any help with my search for info or pics of what the full door panels or engines looked like? Thanks!

has there anything else been changed since these photos besides the mirrors and can you post a shot of the front?and Sonny I see what you mean about the body' date=' it really looks to be in good shape and the beefy rear tires give it a nice stance.[/quote'] I'll need to take a shot of the front as I really don't have a good one and the car is in storage now. Thanks for comments about the body, but I don't really like the big wide rear tires. I just have not found the Pirelli's in the correct P225 size. Wondering if CameraDaytona or JN can comment further on tires. Recalling I think that JN went down one size on the tires to get the correct brand but not sure what CameraDaytona has now on his wheels.

I located a place in Kennesaw' date=' Georgia, where they sold sheets of plexiglass (actually they had another name for it, Plexiglass is a trade name). I already had a plexi cover and used it as a go-by. If you get a chance, email me a close up of your car's nose. I am guessing the plexiglass will popr right on over the nose, but it would be good to see a detail shot to be sure.JN[/quote']
Reds are brake only' date=' ambers are running and turn signal.[/quote'] THanks JN for the info on the taillights and will do on the close-up of the nose.Cheers, S-B

Are you sure the cars originally used Plexiglass and not Lexan? And even if they did perhaps you may want to choose Lexan anyway. Plexiglass is brittle in nature and has little impact resistance. It tends to crack and chip easily. The generic name for it is Lucite and it is actually an acrylic material (Polymethylmethacrylate or PMMA). Lexan is tougher than Plexiglass (it's actually used to make bulletpproof windows!)' date=' and can be impacted continously with little or no wear / cracks, chips etc. It is actually a polycarbonate material and looks just like Plexiglass, though it costs 2-3 times as much. Just my 2 cents, guys!And any help with my search for info or pics of what the full door panels or engines looked like? Thanks![/quote'] Thanks for thoughts on the lens material. Do you know where this can be obtained in a smoked color for this application? Here is a pic of my engine. Eingefügtes Bild

Thanks for thoughts on the lens material. Do you know where this can be obtained in a smoked color for this application? Here is a pic of my engine. Eingefügtes Bild

Here are a few online places:http://www.interstateplastics.com/search.php?searchtext=smoked%20lexan&ph=8776952591&gclid=CLju15b-36YCFcNM4AodwSF31ghttp://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lexan_Polycarbonate?gclid=COOjp_z-36YCFVln5QodCTD_0wYou could contact then or just google "tinted lexan" or "smoked lexan" and your location - maybe there is a local place near you.Thanks for the engine pic, but I think what I really need is to know what color CameraDaytona's engine is. It is a crate engine so it may be GM Engine Blue or possibly Chevy Engine Orange? Perhaps if he sees this he could be kind enough to post a few pics?

Sonny is a part missing from your car? it looks like the windshield wiper cover is missing or was it off for maintenance?

I don't think there is supposed to be a cover there. When the hood is closed it covers most of the windshield wiper well area and so the space is not very noticeable. Maybe CameraDaytona or JN have something different there.

Here are a few online places:http://www.interstateplastics.com/search.php?searchtext=smoked%20lexan&ph=8776952591&gclid=CLju15b-36YCFcNM4AodwSF31ghttp://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lexan_Polycarbonate?gclid=COOjp_z-36YCFVln5QodCTD_0wYou could contact then or just google "tinted lexan" or "smoked lexan" and your location - maybe there is a local place near you.Thanks for the engine pic' date=' but I think what I really need is to know what color CameraDaytona's engine is. It is a crate engine so it may be GM Engine Blue or possibly Chevy Engine Orange? Perhaps if he sees this he could be kind enough to post a few pics?[/quote'] Thanks for the links. I can tell you mine is a 350 small block. I think the same is in Camera's car but he can weigh in. Colorwise don't know about his but mine is standard gray/black.

I don't think there is supposed to be a cover there. When the hood is closed it covers most of the windshield wiper well area and so the space is not very noticeable. Maybe CameraDaytona or JN have something different there.
The Camera Car has a rubber type cover' date=' and mine has a cover I got at Ecklers. The engine for both cars doesn't seem to have a color other than gray black (checked my pictures of the Camera Car, but can't be 100%). There is no way to know for sure when the 350 in the Camera Car was installed. I have never found any pictures of the car engine during filming, and very few of the interior can be found. The photo on the right is my engine, and the one on the left is the Camera Car.[ATTACH=CONFIG']2962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2963[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963387455_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963387647_thumb.jpg

I'll need to take a shot of the front as I really don't have a good one and the car is in storage now. Thanks for comments about the body' date=' but I don't really like the big wide rear tires. I just have not found the Pirelli's in the correct P225 size. Wondering if CameraDaytona or JN can comment further on tires. Recalling I think that JN went down one size on the tires to get the correct brand but not sure what CameraDaytona has now on his wheels.[/quote']
The Camera Car has a rubber type cover' date=' and mine has a cover I got at Ecklers. The photo on the right is my engine, and the one on the left is the Camera Car.[ATTACH=CONFIG']2962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2963[/ATTACH]
JN, looks like Kavinsky has a good eye again as apparently I need to find a cover for my wiper well. Could you email me these engine shots please as it will help when I go looking for parts. I think you told me earlier but not finding the info now on what specific tires (& sizes) are on Camera's car and what you ended up going with for all 4 on your car. I think you said you went smaller than P225s but that Camera has the 225s on all 4 wheels? Thanks. S-B

2962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2963[/ATTACH]

Jurrasic Narc Thanks! Well that pic certainly helps. So it is a small block Chevy 350 with stock 1975-1981 Corvette valve covers with breathers added on, and a 14" open element 1969-72 style Corvette air cleaner, with headers and HEI ignition and AC. Great! I can't tell if the intake manifold is natural aluminum on CameraDaytona's engine, or painted whatever color the rest of the motor is painted.OK then here is a question - I looked around at a bunch of pics here on this site and found some of CameraDaytona's interior, and see the door panels, which I read were replaced before he purchased the car. I also however found this still of the car that someone posted. I guess these are the door panels that were used during filming? However didn't I also read that season 1 and season 2 had different door panels? If so, which episode and season is this from? Then again.. did the season 1 seats look different than season 2? Thanks for the help guys!

post-10068-13892963387846_thumb.jpg

OK then here is a question - I looked around at a bunch of pics here on this site and found some of CameraDaytona's interior' date=' and see the door panels, which I read were replaced before he purchased the car. I also however found this still of the car that someone posted. I guess these are the door panels that were used during filming? However didn't I also read that season 1 and season 2 had different door panels? If so, which episode and season is this from? Then again.. did the season 1 seats look different than season 2? Thanks for the help guys![/quote']That photo is from Season one. It's from the episode MILK RUN.

and its my work too, those pannels were actually replaced on car 4 after its retirement from sheer wear and tear.this is what it now looks like now with the replacement panels and I think it actually looks better with them

post-592-13892963388033_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

and its my work too' date=' those pannels were actually replaced on car 4 after its retirement from sheer wear and tear.this is what it now looks like now with the replacement panels and I think it actually looks better with them[/quote'] I agree with you there Kavinsky but I want to build the model accurate to how it was when used on the show. As I understand it the camera car had the door panels in the pic I attached during filming. Does everyone agree? And also - I take it the difference with the seats between season 1 and 2 (not including the pilot) was the black stripe on the back of the headrest (there only in season 2)?

I'm not sure but there was defintely some sort of a change between the two cars used in the pilot and the second episode heart of darkness where one of the cars went from having an all black nose to a plexyglass oneEingefügtes Bildsince the deal with using the actual ferrari for still shots fell throught after apparently Don damaged it in its brief appearance in the pilotEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildhence why the mufflers of what I think was car 4 was moved further over to the middle of the car and arched upwards after the pilotbasically it went from this Eingefügtes Bildto this

post-592-13892963388171_thumb.jpg

Although the car that was used for the in the air montage already had a plexyglass nose so maybe the one with the pop down headlamps was originally car 1?Eingefügtes Bild

freeze at 2:00

I'm not when that stripe showed up after looking at this shot from S1's no exit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1o-NWNmQLMEingefügtes Bildand then S2's junk love

post-592-1389296338836_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure but there was defintely some sort of a change between the two cars used in the pilot and the second episode heart of darkness where one of the cars went from having an all black nose to a plexyglass onesince the deal with using the actual ferrari for still shots fell throught after apparently Don damaged it in its brief appearance in the pilothence why the mufflers of what I think was car 4 was moved further over to the middle of the car and arched upwards after the pilotbasically it went from this to this

Your first pic here does look like either the plexiglass is extremely opaque or are doors, though I didn' think that was on either of the Daytonas. Probably was on the genuine Ferrari but believe they were flip-up and think that McBurnie later offered drop downs to people who wanted the Faux Ferrari look. That's why mine is more the Faux Ferrrari interior as well. Re the exhaust pipes, I can't really tell from here whether the pipes were originally spaced further apart but the center configuration and angled look are identical on mine. Can't see if the show car has a back-up light in the center as mine does though.

I'm not when that stripe showed up after looking at this shot from S1's no exit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1o-NWNmQLMEingefügtes Bildand then S2's junk love

Don't know on the stripe but thought JN mentioned once that the striping was added to the full seats after S1 when the cars were sent to Carl Roberts for some repairs and renovation after S1 abuse.