The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

KavinskyIs this a closeup of the Camera Car? Looks like this may even have a thin strip of metal (but not sure) in the light housing that is silver or matte silver as you suggested. I see the screws as well. and the lenses are clear.

Yes, that is the Camera Car as it appears today. The surface in front of the headlights is highly polished (pictures are a little deceptive) and looks to me like chrome or aluminum finish.The Roberts cars use no screws, and a fiberglass trim piece with 4 screws at the bottom of the nose plexi to hold it in place (which is what I have). McBurnie cars were generally screwed on with as many screws as the person doing the installation saw fit to use. The Rowley plexi is shipped without holes. It does come with black screws. Use care in drilling holes in any of that material. Especially on a cold day.JN

I don't know it sounds like if you ever seriously get rear ended in any sort of an old vette its going to be trouble regardless of how its set up.Although having the spare right infront of the piece where both pipes meet does sound like it could cause a gas leak in that situation' date=' its probably a safer bet to do like they used to do with the old muscle cars and jusy have the spare tucked in a corner of the trunk ontop of the gas tank and use the storage area behind the seats for groceries if there's no space left in the trunk because of that.[/quote'] JNSo yours is Rowley conversion? Sounds like you have a different structure altogether than the McBurnies. I have really no room for a spare in my car or else I cannot use the trunk for anything else. And the old style mouting plates for each wheel are almost impossible to remove anyway without an impact wrench. :p

I meant that once I bought a couple of the plexi nose covers I was able to cut my own. That's how I did the tinted one.The Camera car has clear lenses today. They are much safer' date=' and there may be legal issues with a manufacturer (like Carl Roberts) selling cars with tinted lense covers. Not a problem (at least in Georgia) for an individual to do it.[/quote'] Got it--thanks So you did go with the tinted lenses then after all. Think I'm having trouble keeping straight what shifts between S1 and S2 now to decide which I want to duplicate. Can either of you pls summarize both Seasons changes that are on th camera car?S-B

Re the Ferrari logo on the front --not sue which is better for position.... any thoughts?BTW did you notice that I do not have the chrome script Ferrari on the top rear of my trnk? Think the camera car has this but I have not been able to locate one yet. RE the prancing horse on the back' date=' am planning to keep it as I like it as a nice personal touch add-on for me. ThxS-B[/quote'] I also have a horse on the back. Like you, just wanted to have a small touch of difference that few would notice. The chrome Ferrari logo for the trunk is readily available (usually) on Ebay. Not nearly as expensive as the Tag light chrome you look like you are still missing.I chose to replicate the Season Two look with the low mounted Ferrari emblem, the tonneau, the smoked lense covers, and the black trim on the back of the seat.Those are really the only differences in the two season's looks.

JNSo yours is Rowley conversion? Sounds like you have a different structure altogether than the McBurnies. I have realy no room for a spare in my car or else I cannot use the trunk for anything else. And the old style mouting plates for each wheel are almost impossible to remove ayway without an impact wrench. :p

No, Carl Roberts built the original of my car.

Yeah its the camera car and it looks like its shiny like it is chrome since its actually reflecting an image of the headlights in the photo I think the inner most muffler tubes need to line up with the rear bumperswith the ferrari badge on the front I've always pondered how exactly the daytona would look without the badge ala the vice city stinger, but I'd probably try to center it if it didnt look right without it like it was in the pilot and S2 although it doesnt look bad as it is.Eingefügtes Bildand it did have the ferrari lettering on the top of the trunk

post-592-13892963420722_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963420847_thumb.jpg

Yes' date=' that is the Camera Car as it appears today. The surface in front of the headlights is highly polished (pictures are a little deceptive) and looks to me like chrome or aluminum finish.The Roberts cars use no screws, and a fiberglass trim piece with 4 screws at the bottom of the nose plexi to hold it in place (which is what I have). McBurnie cars were generally screwed on with as many screws as the person doing the installation saw fit to use. The Rowley plexi is shipped without holes. It does come with black screws. Use care in drilling holes in any of that material. Especially on a cold day.JN[/quote']JN Do you have a close-up of the assembly without screws? I really don't want to see any screws in the nose area at all and so would like to install lenses without them. But not clear on what/where to obtain this and how it mounts to the lenses or body. ThnxS-B

I also have a horse on the back. Like you' date=' just wanted to have a small touch of difference that few would notice. The chrome Ferrari logo for the trunk is readily available (usually) on Ebay. Not nearly as expensive as the Tag light chrome you look like you are still missing.I chose to replicate the Season Two look with the low mounted Ferrari emblem, the tonneau, the smoked lense covers, and the black trim on the back of the seat.Those are really the only differences in the two season's looks.[/quote'] JNTag Light Chrome? You have me there....Thnx for the S2 comments a wellS-B

Yeah its the camera car and it looks like its shiny like it is chrome since its actually reflecting an image of the headlights in the photo I think the inner most muffler tubes need to line up with the rear bumperswith the ferrari badge on the front I've always pondered how exactly the daytona would look without the badge ala the vice city stinger' date=' but I'd probably try to center it if it didnt look right without it like it was in the pilot and S2 although it doesnt look bad as it is.and it did have the ferrari lettering on the top of the trunk[/quote'] Thanks re the tube positioning. I like the nose badge but need to think about relocating it. Thought so on the trunk lettering but can't tell its length and width to find the right item. Still those screws seem unattractive to me.S-B

and I do like how your rear suspension looks beefier and more filed in vs the look of the miami vice car from behind but it might have looked that way to make space for the camera rigEingefügtes Bildbut it does look like it needs a lick of paint down there and some polish

post-592-13892963421029_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963421216_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963421394_thumb.jpg

With the lettering it looks like it needs to be about a quarter of an inch shorter than that chrome strip hanging off of the trunk like here and about an inch back from the edge of the trunkEingefügtes BildJesus I think the only thing left to discuss on the look of the car is the wheel spinners by now Sonny

post-592-13892963421571_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963421748_thumb.jpg

and I do like how your rear suspension looks beefier and more filed in vs the look of the miami vice car from behind but it might have looked that way to make space for the camera rigbut it does look like it needs a lick of paint down there and some polish

Well I could say it was the lighting ...but actually I haven't tried to polish the underside of the body yet. ;)

With the lettering it looks like it needs to be about a quarter of an inch shorter than that chrome strip hanging off of the trunk like here and about an inch back from the edge of the trunkJesus I think the only thing left to discuss on the look of the car is the wheel spinners by now Sonny

But I have discussed spinners with JN some time ago....:p Think you're right, at least on the exterior. But still would like to see some more top down angle shots of the interior for fitting of leather and carpeting.

We have also only been discussing the camera car too, for instance the stunt car interior may have had many differences. Here are the door panels for instance...And I still hope we can figure out more about the engine and exhaust of the cars as used - or at least as they were on the camera car when CD got it!BTW the McBurnie replicas didn'thave the real Daytona's "scoop" under the nose in teh front valence, did they??

post-592-13892963421939_thumb.jpg

actually the one I've been using as a reference car for sonny here has one, and its not an air scoop its an oil cooler it turns out:Eingefügtes Bildhttp://www.photos-automobiles.com/shootings/ferrari_daytonaspyder/index.htmand its already been discused there was a few differences with the stuntcar besides the door panels which were more like the one on the camera car nowadays and theres a cap on the dash itself that makes it noticeably higher than the one on the camera car, plus the black steering column.so Sonny you already know that the spinners on the MV car had a silver prancing horse logo on them with ferrari underneath like here Eingefügtes Bildand that the MV car is sporting black spinners with a gold eagle on them now?if thats so didnt you say that you wanted the interior shots I referenced awhile back on this thread to help you with that via email? I guess if thats all now I can start referencing the mechanicals and the misc stuff then

post-592-13892963422132_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296342236_thumb.jpg

http://www.photos-automobiles.com/shootings/ferrari_daytonaspyder/index.htmso Sonny you already know that the spinners on the MV car had a silver prancing horse logo on them with ferrari underneath like here Eingefügtes Bildand that the MV car is sporting black spinners with a gold eagle on them now?

The car had gold caps with eagles. Similar to the caps on the car now. The spinners were not swept back, but stuck straight out.These particular spinners are not common now. Zenith no longer makes them in that color. The wheels on the Camera Car from the time of McBurnie were Zenith wires. I used Daytons with the same color insert. The wheels look identical except for the legend "Dayton Wire Wheels" instead of "Zenith Wire Wheels".(Take a look about 5-6 pages back where Sonny is going into the Hotel and you have a good view of the door panel)

So on the spinners --what was in S1 and S2? Confused about your comments, guys. Here's what's on my car now (dirty, I know) and are identical to one of your shots. (and these are swept forward) Eingefügtes Bild

if thats so didnt you say that you wanted the interior shots I referenced awhile back on this thread to help you with that via email?

Kavinsy & JNSure would like to get all these pics via email from you both, if you are so inclined and have time. ThanksS-B

Turns out they were eagles, not the ferrari logo on them like in the shot of it now except with a gold backgroundand they werent swept back and looking at this shot it does kinda look like there was an eagle on the wheels:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3030&stc=1&d=1296768321and Sonny after all this I'm going to have to take a break for a few days, I've got like 2 other projects going on parallel to this

post-592-13892963422497_thumb.jpg

jagvic heres the shot of the interior now, it differs from the way the car was in the show by 5 waysthe door panels were different:Eingefügtes Bildthe center console was also covered in wood and had a tape deck player instead of the cd player thats on it now that was installed in 87' after its retirementEingefügtes BildThe shifter was not of a ball type it was more like the handbreakand the second season stripe along the back of the headrest is now missingand of course the phone Eingefügtes Bildand also note the 240 mph speedo on it (crockett had a ludicrous speed drive installed for the 3rd season but never got to use it, hence why the explosion was so big when they blew it up)along with the momo veloce steering wheel and the bootlegers pedal for quick 180's:Eingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892963422612_thumb.jpg

post-592-138929634228_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296342298_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963423164_thumb.jpg

You know as we compile all this info and answer questions for each other we really are reconstructing what the cars were like exactly when the show was filmed, but unless someone else who is interested comes along and goes through this thread line by line they'll never understand it..... PLUS we are talking about the car in the pilot, the 2 cars in Season 1 and the 2 cars in Season 2. That is a lot of info especially when mixed in with all the info about you guys and your own individual cars you are making as "more or less" replicas (deviating here or there for personal taste). So I propose a chart or something that includes pictures that will document what we determine here per car per season so that in the future this info doesn't have to be "rediscovered". Remember even CameraDaytona's car is not 100% accurate to the way it was on the show any more.. IDK.. any thoughts guys?

Not a bad idea we could put all of it here in the glossaryhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showcat&catid=13but even then glossary is abit cluttered right now and I dont think that many people check it so it might be a good idea to maybe hotlink those glossary topics directly to the appropriate forums.hell if you think this is tricky we still have no idea how many different caddies Tubbs was using.

Not a bad idea we could put all of it here in the glossaryhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showcat&catid=13but even then glossary is abit cluttered right now and I dont think that many people check it so it might be a good idea to maybe hotlink those glossary topics directly to the appropriate forums.hell if you think this is tricky we still have no idea how many different caddies Tubbs was using.

I love this thread. And you are right, we do have a pretty good handle on the Daytonas and the Testas, but nothing on the other cars that were used. You guys keep on digging and posting. I know about a hand full of differences in the two cars and a few differences that still existed between seasons. But there are probably more, and I love having others take a look and find things I missed!!JN