The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I think I read the same thing... So if I decide to build my model to look just like it appeared in S1 I will leave the stripe off the headrest, and have those plain door panels with the big pockets in them. I have seen the still of the radio from the series but it doesn't go far enough bach to show the phone. Does anyone have a pic of what that looked like?

There was only one McBurnie used in the pilot, the Camera Car (Car 4). It had dark tinted headlight covers and much different seat backs. The seat backs had an inset between the headrest and the body of the seatback. For some reason the tinted plexiglass was replaced, the seatback was replaced and the Ferrari logo on the nose was moved up for Season 1. Most likely it was easier to duplicate the look of the second car (Car 1, sth Stunt Car).During Season one the logo stayed up high on both cars. The door panels on Car 1 (the stunt car) were more similar to what the Camera Car (Car 4) has now. The dash of Car 1 was pretty much a standard 78-82 Corvette dash with a cap on it to make it look similar to the Camera Car.For Season 2 the seats had a piece of black trim pulled across the back of the seat shell. No idea why. Generally, the tonneau was not present in Season 1, but was most of the time in Season 2.Hope that helps.

There was only one McBurnie used in the pilot' date=' the Camera Car (Car 4). It had dark tinted headlight covers and much different seat backs. The seat backs had an inset between the headrest and the body of the seatback. For some reason the tinted plexiglass was replaced, the seatback was replaced and the Ferrari logo on the nose was moved up for Season 1. Most likely it was easier to duplicate the look of the second car (Car 1, sth Stunt Car).During Season one the logo stayed up high on both cars. The door panels on Car 1 (the stunt car) were more similar to what the Camera Car (Car 4) has now. The dash of Car 1 was pretty much a standard 78-82 Corvette dash with a cap on it to make it look similar to the Camera Car.For Season 2 the seats had a piece of black trim pulled across the back of the seat shell. No idea why. Generally, the tonneau was not present in Season 1, but was most of the time in Season 2.Hope that helps.[/quote'] Yes it does! I haven't seen any pics of the Car 1 door panels that I can recall, and most quick glimpses I see of the door panels at all are of the "plain" ones. I guess then if I am going to make it as I remember the car from the show I should do those door panels, though the faux Ferrari style does look nicer. Wow I never thought I would have to be this specific with this model - so i guess I will be doing the camera car (Car 4) as it appeared during season 1 but not in the pilot! I will however put the boot over the convertible top because if I leave it off I would have to build a folded up top to go in the well! I do believe it was used SOME times, right? I am hoping that CameraDaytona checks in and sees this thread and comments - there are some details that only he can answer for me!And am I understanding correctly that when McBurnie built the camera car it had a single (or was it a twin?) Gale Banks turbocharger, and when CameraDaytona bought the car it has a normally carburated crate motor (isn't it possible the turbos were simply taken off the motors and simply converted to regular carburation?) but no one has been able to determine when the switch was made .. before filming or somewhere in the middle?BTW would anyone be interested in seeing any pictures of this project?
  • Like 1

So car 4 was the only car used in the pilot, didnt know that.I think they were trying to replicate the daytona package with the striping for the second season, which was originally done first with the ferrari 365 daytona and from then on called the daytona package which they still offer on their cars todayEingefügtes Bildand this is from a 2010 Ferrari kharma ghia... Eingefügtes Bildsorry ferrari californiaSonny I could be a little off with the placement of the tail pipes but it does look they were originally mounted horizontally on the car

1:25, 2:02like on this oneEingefügtes Bildvs this one that has it mounted like it was after the pilot:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand Sonny to my knowlege the MV cars didnt have a reverse tail light.

post-592-13892963388632_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963388816_thumb.jpg

Sonny I could be a little off with the placement of the tail pipes but it does look they were originally mounted horizontally on the car

1:25, 2:02and Sonny to my knowlege the MV cars didnt have a reverse tail light.
Interesting--- in the Youtube clip the pipes do look much more horizontal. And it does look like there is no backup light on the show car.

http://www.finecars.cc/typo3temp/GB/5f63fff0e7.jpgand this is from a 2010 Ferrari kharma ghia... Eingefügtes Bildsorry ferrari californiaSonny I could be a little off with the placement of the tail pipes but it does look they were originally mounted horizontally on the car

1:25, 2:02like on this oneEingefügtes Bildvs this one that has it mounted like it was after the pilot:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand Sonny to my knowlege the MV cars didnt have a reverse tail light.
Kavinsky that last pic you posted shows a great view of the door panels - but also another item I wonder about - it that a black carpeted bulkhead behind the seats all the way up to where to boot snaps on? I had never noticed this before if it is!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2973[/ATTACH]There is no backup light on the show cars. The seats were always fitted with the "Daytona stripes" on the seats themselves, the black strip was only a single horizontal strip on the back of the seat added for Season two. The interior is very light saddle or tan leather with black wilton wool carpet. The carpet only covers the very bottom of the floor and across back to where the top is dropped into. The sides are all leather covered, including the well for the top. It appears that the cover is a tan carpet, because the inner wheel wells are covered with tan leather.I have included a small pic of the seat used in the pilot. If you watch the episode, you will note at some points that the M for Mardikian is noticeable in the headrest.

post-109-13892963389002_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2973[/ATTACH]There is no backup light on the show cars. The seats were always fitted with the "Daytona stripes" on the seats themselves' date=' the black strip was only a single horizontal strip on the back of the seat added for Season two. The interior is very light saddle or tan leather with black wilton wool carpet. The carpet only covers the very bottom of the floor and across back to where the top is dropped into. The sides are all leather covered, including the well for the top. It appears that the cover is a tan carpet, because the inner wheel wells are covered with tan leather.I have included a small pic of the seat used in the pilot. If you watch the episode, you will note at some points that the M for Mardikian is noticeable in the headrest.[/quote'] Hmmmm.. Well I guess then I am confused by this still - the boot for the top seem's to be snapped on to something right behind DJ's head. And the boot doesn't appear to have a flap that hangs down into the passenger's compartment (and therefore hiding the Corvette's storage area, battery box, wheelwells, etc) Yet I see BLACK behind the seats, which made me guess there was a vertical wall with snaps at the top which the boot attaches to. IDK - can anyone explain this?And I hope this isn't all too obsessively detail oriented for everyone... but I figured that documenting exactly how the cars were was the point of this thread... right?

post-592-13892963389103_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I forgot you were referring to that, it was kinda late and I wasnt thinking straight.but I'm curious when they put that smoked cover on the cars for season 2 was one of them the original headlight cover they used on car 4 for the pilot or was it a new piece and was the original piece also smoked plexyglass or was it something else?and jag I thought the same thing a few pages back on this thread but its an optical illusion caused by the tonau cover not going all the way to the floor of the bulkhead so what your seeing is a shadow being caused by the tonau cover and it looks like the actual black top itself:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2850&stc=1&d=1294778351http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2851&stc=1&d=1294778353Vs when it had a longer tonau cover in the pilot:

post-592-13892963390211_thumb.jpg

Sorry I forgot you were referring to that' date=' it was kinda late and I wasnt thinking straight.but I'm curious when they put that smoked cover on the cars for season 2 was one of them the original headlight cover they used on car 4 for the pilot or was it a new piece and was the original piece also smoked plexyglass or was it something else?and jag I thought the same thing a few pages back on this thread but its an optical illusion caused by the tonau cover not going all the way to the floor of the bulkhead so what your seeing is a shadow being caused by the tonau cover[/quote'] Kavinsky I see what you're saying... So maybe there is a bow holding the front edge of the cover from sagging, and that might explain the snap?

yeah I think so and I did notice that one of the snaps came loose in this chase scene with it

freeze at 0:48and this is a better look at one with a longer tonau cover:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I assume that is just due to the shadows. The Florida sun made it very difficult to see details at times. But check out the pics for SONS AND LOVERS.Don't know about the lens covers, as I have yet to find anyone who knows about the cars during filming.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2973[/ATTACH]There is no backup light on the show cars. The seats were always fitted with the "Daytona stripes" on the seats themselves' date=' the black strip was only a single horizontal strip on the back of the seat added for Season two. The interior is very light saddle or tan leather with black wilton wool carpet. The carpet only covers the very bottom of the floor and across back to where the top is dropped into. The sides are all leather covered, including the well for the top. It appears that the cover is a tan carpet, because the inner wheel wells are covered with tan leather.I have included a small pic of the seat used in the pilot. If you watch the episode, you will note at some points that the M for Mardikian is noticeable in the headrest.[/quote'] JNThanks for clarifying on the backup light --can you look at my earlier question on tires on yours and Cameras' cars also?Re the seat, thought from the pics you sent me some months ago that the entire seat (cushion and back ) had black stripes added after S1? Re the Tonneau cover, mine is long and horizontally covers not only the deck area behind the seats but also drapes vertically down behind the seats (and snaps) to cover the deck view when sitting in the car. Is this what you see with yours and Camera's? Also do you have any pics of the exposed deck area of Camera's car?ThanksS-B

JN and KavinskyReally can't visualize how this Tonneau cover attaches at the front by the seats. On mine there is just an open space behind the seats and so the cover drops straight down and snaps on the side of the frame. But in these pics the cover appears to stop and leaves an exposed black area and there also appear to be snaps running the length horizontally. But not sure what these snaps would attach to?

JNThanks for clarifying on the backup light --can you look at my earlier question on tires on yours and Cameras' cars also?Re the seat' date=' thought from the pics you sent me some months ago that the entire seat (cushion and back ) had black stripes added after S1? Re the Tonneau cover, mine is long and horizontally covers not only the deck area behind the seats but also drapes vertically down behind the seats (and snaps) to cover the deck view when sitting in the car. Is this what you see with yours and Camera's? Also do you have any pics of the exposed deck area of Camera's car?ThanksS-B[/quote'] No, the cushions (which sit inside fiberglass buckets on the bottom and the back on the 78-82 Vette) had the Daytona-like strips both seasons. A single black strip was added to the back of the seat bucket (which is covered with tan leather) for Season 2.The tonneau cover just barely clears the front of the roof when folded down. The actual Camera Car has a snap (male side) screwed into the forward-most rib of the top which allows the tonneau to stay down. I fabricated a rubberized clamp that fits around the roof bows and allows mine to snap in the same location.I'll have to get back with you on the tire size when I have a chance to look that information up.JN

No' date=' the cushions (which sit inside fiberglass buckets on the bottom and the back on the 78-82 Vette) had the Daytona-like strips both seasons. A single black strip was added to the back of the seat bucket (which is covered with tan leather) for Season 2.The tonneau cover just barely clears the front of the roof when folded down. The actual Camera Car has a snap (male side) screwed into the forward-most rib of the top which allows the tonneau to stay down. I fabricated a rubberized clamp that fits around the roof bows and allows mine to snap in the same location.I'll have to get back with you on the tire size when I have a chance to look that information up.JN[/quote'] JNThanks for clarfying on the seat. I need to go back and see if I have that pic from you.Thanks also for clarifying on the cover. Glad all these questions are being asked in this thread, as this one got past me earlier. So then yours and Camera's must have a clear view into the back deck area behind the seats. Can you send me a pic of this deck area as I want to duplicate that as well with appropriate carpet or leather? That would also give a better sound (not muted) from the speakers mounted on the vertical back wall of the deck area assuming your cars have that as well. TnxS-B

It does appear that snaps run the length of the convertibile top on that one and it does run down into the cabin and stops on what appears to be a fold in the leatherthat particular area was covered in the same color leather as the rest of the car and the floor was some sort of black wool, ill post some pics of the shots of the deck area from sons and lovers in a few minutes.

post-592-13892963390317_thumb.jpg

Here we are:

Thanks. In the pic with the bad guy in the motorcycle helmet you can see that the rear deck is black and the wheel well is covered in matching tan leather.And you get pretty good pics of the seats generally. And all those pics are of the Camera Car. There are tell-tales that give it away. Just no tonneau.

It does appear that snaps run the length of the convertibile top on that one and it does run down into the cabin and stops on what appears to be a fold in the leatherthat particular area was covered in the same color leather as the rest of the car and the floor was some sort of black wool' date=' ill post some pics of the shots of the deck area from sons and lovers in a few minutes.[/quote'] Which car is this pls?

Thanks. In the pic with the bad guy in the motorcycle helmet you can see that the rear deck is black and the wheel well is covered in matching tan leather.And you get pretty good pics of the seats generally. And all those pics are of the Camera Car. There are tell-tales that give it away. Just no tonneau.

KavinskyThanks for the great photos, btw. JN OK think I finally have it now. Black Wilton carpet on the rear deck but the sides of the rear deck are tan leather as per the front. Assume then that the back wall of the deck is also tan leather. But where is that single black stripe added after S1 you were referring to? ThnxS-B

But where is that single black stripe added after S1 you were referring to?

It's on the back of each seat, where the headrest would be.

Sonny-Burnett you can see the stipe in this pic right behind DJ's shoulder - it's maybe 2 1/2 inches wide or so and just goes across the back of the headrest..

post-592-13892963391394_thumb.jpg

It's on the back of each seat' date=' where the headrest would be.[/quote']
Sonny-Burnett you can see the stipe in this pic right behind DJ's shoulder - it's maybe 2 1/2 inches wide or so and just goes across the back of the headrest..
Thanks codemaster94 and Jagvic. I thought he meant the seat back (as in what you lean against) but appears he meant the back of the seat. :thumbsup: