The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I think that markadian probably redid the dials completely and recalibrated it. I mean it does look downright stock when compaired to the stock one in this videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMn31TiffzY 2:42here's a weird one. seems to be some sort of special dealer edition judging by the steering wheel.http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/96805/index.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDuLjfgQ8E 1:22 and 2:25

Eingefügtes BildMy speedometer goes to 240 mph (good luck on that). As you can see in the picture' date=' both the tach and the speedometer have the Mardikian logo on them. That indicates to me that they were prepared (painted or printed?) specifically for the Mardikian cars - probably only the first 4 cars McBurnie built. I would assume that they started out as Corvette units since I don't know any other that would have the same shape, etc.[/quote'] You can still find places that will recalibrate and remark the Corvette speedo and tach. They will do about anything you want, but are very reluctant to do a Ferrari logo on one. I did some checking around when I first got the car. The 78 and above speedo and tach are basically electronic and the older are mechanical (CameraDaytona is actually more of an expert on the vintage Vettes).Mardikian actually advertised his cars as being able to reach 200mph (probably not his only stretch). Since the speedo would be difficult to see on TV (it's even hard now with an HD TV if you don't know what to look for), the production company didn't change the markings. There is no record as to whether one of the Mardikian owners added the Ferrari logos after they realized the cars looked so similar, or if that was done by Universal. Still some mystery in the MV Daytona story!

Eingefügtes BildMy speedometer goes to 240 mph (good luck on that). As you can see in the picture' date=' both the tach and the speedometer have the Mardikian logo on them. That indicates to me that they were prepared (painted or printed?) specifically for the Mardikian cars - probably only the first 4 cars McBurnie built. I would assume that they started out as Corvette units since I don't know any other that would have the same shape, etc.[/quote'] Well these certainly look like the stock Vette guages from a 78-81 as modified by the logos and of course the speedo range increase. Assume that yours would have been recalibrated to read correctly at speed?

It seems to work fine. I assume it has been recalibrated.

Thanks. My interior restoration is a little on hold now. Trying to locate a really competent restorer who can handle the complex task of replacing my faux ferrari dash with the 78-81 Vette dash (incl wiring, guages) and then customizing the dash top and trim around the guages. Am learning that dash replacement is not something a lot of restorers like to do on a kit car.

Indeed althought its not a kit car, its a rebodied corvette After all save for the body its all corvette, kit cars are cars that are built from the ground up with completely different components based on what the owner wants from it, the most famous being the cars from the old film deathrace 2000and theres been plenty of rebodied cars made before it (I think it first started with the duesenbergs, bugattis, bentleys and caddies of the 1920's)and also has anyone ever seen a mcburnie with a hardtop?Eingefügtes Bild

and also has anyone ever seen a mcburnie with a hardtop?Eingefügtes Bild

There was one on EBay about a year ago. It is a Vette hard top that drops into place. Not very practical for places where rain pops up unexpectedly, but might work in Southern California.

and also has anyone ever seen a mcburnie with a hardtop?

Not sure I would ever want one. It's way too much fun driving with the top down and hearing the engine. :)

Indeed althought its not a kit car' date=' its a rebodied corvette After all save for the body its all corvette, kit cars are cars that are built from the ground up with completely different components based on what the owner wants from it, the most famous being the cars from the old film deathrace 2000and theres been plenty of rebodied cars made before it (I think it first started with the duesenbergs, bugattis, bentleys and caddies of the 1920's)[/quote']I like the term "rebodied" better than kit car" anyway, and think you're right. I don't know where I picked up the term Kit Car anyway now that you mention it.

I like the term "rebodied" better than kit car" anyway' date=' and think you're right. I don't know where I picked up the term Kit Car anyway now that you mention it.[/quote'] Probably because the magazine with the widest circulation covering these types of vehicles in the 80s and 90s was "Kit Car Magazine" :-).For what it's worth, I'm about to register mine in the state of Texas, and if it resembles a known brand and/or vehicle it's classified as a "replica".-Brian W

Probably because the magazine with the widest circulation covering these types of vehicles in the 80s and 90s was "Kit Car Magazine" :-).For what it's worth' date=' I'm about to register mine in the state of Texas' date=' and if it resembles a known brand and/or vehicle it's classified as a "replica".-Brian W[/quote''] Thanks Brian. Sort of recall that magazine. Most people that see mine have no idea it is a replica or rebodied car. I've had a number of people stop me and ask if mine is the real thing, and they have some idea of the rough value of the genuine article. Only one knew for sure without any help from me.Hope they don't tax you too hard on the value.

Most people that see mine have no idea it is a replica or rebodied car. I've had a number of people stop me and ask if mine is the real thing' date=' and they have some idea of the rough value of the genuine article. Only one knew for sure without any help from me.[/quote'] When I first got my car I was never sure what to say. Now, if someone asks I tell them it is a replica of the car used on Miami Vice, not a replica Ferrari. Some are surprised that it is not a real Ferrari, and if they really strike up a conversation I point out that the real deal in good condition is worth between a quarter and half a million. So if it were real I wouldn't be here at the Burger King drive-thru.No matter what you call it, one of these cars that is well cared for and clean still is as rare as the Ferrari Daytona. And always draws attention.JN

When I first got my car I was never sure what to say. Now' date=' if someone asks I tell them it is a replica of the car used on Miami Vice' date=' not a replica Ferrari. Some are surprised that it is not a real Ferrari, and if they really strike up a conversation I point out that the real deal in good condition is worth between a quarter and half a million. So if it were real I wouldn't be here at the Burger King drive-thru.No matter what you call it, one of these cars that is well cared for and clean still is as rare as the Ferrari Daytona. And always draws attention.JN[/quote''] That's a great idea JN, thanks. I've been saying "Faux-rrari" really fast and wondering if folks have caught on :). That's a much better way to explain it, I'll try that from now on. I took mine through the McDonald's drive thru for a McRib but they jumped in my car and slapped barbeque sauce all over my upholstery. Man, I've killed people for less.@Sonny-Burnett: the tax shouldn't be too bad, here it's 6.25% of the purchase price.-Brian W

Actually saying that its a replica of the car on miami vice sounds best to me and they are just as rare and a hell of alot more practical than the geniune article thanks to ferrari themselves.Precticality wise just take a look the placement of the radio and the aircon and tell me how your going to use either while your driving.Eingefügtes Bildso just give it another 5 - 10 years and the last of the C3 Vettes should start jumping up in valve, hell I still remember in one of leno's aricles he mentioned that some guy who had a c2 said that the C5 just didnt feel like a real vette to him (and those are skyrocketting in value and I think they were making big block C3 vetts up until the late 70's')so you gotta figure thats going to eventually apply to the c3 series and the values will go up for the old cars without any drivers aids.

Actually saying that its a replica of the car on miami vice sounds best to me and they are just as rare and a hell of alot more practical than the geniune article thanks to ferrari themselves.Precticality wise just take a look the placement of the radio and the aircon and tell me how your going to use either while your driving.Eingefügtes Bildso just give it another 5 - 10 years and the last of the C3 Vettes should start jumping up in valve' date=' hell I still remember in one of leno's aricles he mentioned that some guy who had a c2 said that the C5 just didnt feel like a real vette to him (and those are skyrocketting in value and I think they were making big block C3 vetts up until the late 70's')so you gotta figure thats going to eventually apply to the c3 series and the values will go up for the old cars without any drivers aids.[/quote'] This pic looks like the real Ferrari. Well I don't plan to sell my Daytona for a long time. I am investing too much money into it and not done yet. I am sure I will cumulatively invest more into the car by the end of this year than what I paid for it last year. :)But if it does ever increase in value someday that would be a bonus.

Yeah it is the real ferrari 365 gt/b and I just love how the radio was such an afterthought that they didnt even bother putting it in at angle that the driver could even use it.

Yeah it is the real ferrari 365 gt/b and I just love how the radio was such an afterthought that they didnt even bother putting it in at angle that the driver could even use it.

It is in an odd location. My dash is similar to this one but not quite as elaborately furnished. All that will change I hope in a few months.

A couple things - the real Ferrari Daytona convertibles are now back up to around a million dollars. The Daytona coupes converted to a convertible are in the quarter to half million dollar range. And the last model of Corvette offering a factory big block (454 ci) was 1974.You see a lot of very poorly done Daytona conversions (or replicas) that are pretty "ratty" (and often incomplete) and I think these have hurt the values of the cars. A really well done one like Sonny-Burnett's should hold its value. There will probably always be people who remember and like Miami Vice.

A couple things - the real Ferrari Daytona convertibles are now back up to around a million dollars. The Daytona coupes converted to a convertible are in the quarter to half million dollar range. And the last model of Corvette offering a factory big block (454 ci) was 1974.You see a lot of very poorly done Daytona conversions (or replicas) that are pretty "ratty" (and often incomplete) and I think these have hurt the values of the cars. A really well done one like Sonny-Burnett's should hold its value. There will probably always be people who remember and like Miami Vice.

Thanks, CameraDaytona. Though when I'm done spending on mine I think will likely exceed the market value for now. Oh well....

Just to let everyone know I'm posting these to help Sonny with the interior of his car.

And it is very much appreciated....thanks very much Kavinsky. :thumbsup:Great shots and good close-ups. The forward view of the dash is something I had never seen before and I was wondering how much height it is supposed to have when I get a custom guy to modify the vette dash. Btw, doesn't the curvature of the dash in the night shot with Crockett look more severe than the daytime shot of what I think is CameraDaytona's car?

And it is very much appreciated....thanks very much Kavinsky. :thumbsup:Great shots and good close-ups. The forward view of the dash is something I had never seen before and I was wondering how much height it is supposed to have when I get a custom guy to modify the vette dash. Btw' date=' doesn't the curvature of the dash in the night shot with Crockett look more severe than the daytime shot of what I think is CameraDaytona's car?[/quote'] The 76 car was not modified by the same people. It has a 78-82 dash installed with what appears to be a "cap". The interior of the 76 car is only seen in FLORENCE ITALY and YANKEE DOLLAR. Notice that the lip between the top and the face of the dash is much larger in this shot from YANKEE DOLLAR. The actual angle of the dash is hard to determine, and I have studied it as much as anyone. It is also hard to figure based on looking at the episodes since it is often impossible to tell if you are seeing the 76 or the 81 car. I had made some adjustmenst based on the appearance of the dash from the side as seen at the end of WHATEVER WORKS, only to later realize I was looking at the 76 car.Not sure how to get the dash exact. The best I think I will be able to do is to get it so that is "looks right". The dash was modified in such a way as to give no clear reference point to start from. Hope this helps. JN ATTACH=CONFIG]2861[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963347225_thumb.jpg

Actually I think I just found a new way for you to determine which car was used jurassic. I've noticed that the carpeting of car 4 is black, however in shot 3 here you can see on car 1 that it looks like its tan colored. Since I think the storage area for the convertible top uses the same colored carpet as the floor for the cabin.and also the dash on car 1 does look abit higher than the one on car 4.

post-592-1389296334742_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296334761_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296334779_thumb.jpg