The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

:):) Hi CameraDaytona - yeah I may be to blame for a lot of the posts the last week or so! I have a question about your motor - I know it isn't the original as far as what was in it when McBurnie built the car' date=' and I believe you and JN agree that there is no way to tell when that motor was switched with the crate motor that is in it now - i.e before filming, during filming, after filming etc. But:1) are you sure that your motor is not just the motor that was in the car before with the (I believe JN said SINGLE, whereas car #1 had DUAL) Turbocharger setup replaced with a standard carb? Because couldn't that motor have been a crate motor in the first place?2)What color are the block, heads and intake manifold on your car?3) What type intake manifold and carb?4) I see that you have headers but are they block hugger or standard (can't tell from your pic)5) Do you have a real dual exhaust or the single system that has 2 outlets as stock? Converters? Mufflers? 6) is it a turbo 350 or 400 transmission?Thanks! That should do for now :)[/quote'] The engine was definitely replaced. The engine pad on the front of the block (in front of head on passenger side) was a different shape on a 1981 and would have the VIN number and engine assembly date on it. The pad on the MV car is the later model shape and is not stamped indicating an over-the-counter crate engine. The 81 was only about a year old when purchased by Mardikian for conversion to the Daytona, so I would be much surprised if it had an engine swap and if so, the engine should still have had the "thinner" pad (if replaced in 81 or 82).The carb is a double-pumper Holley and the intake is aluminum. The valve covers are black with polished aluminum strips. I will take pictures of the engine, headers, etc next week for you.I believe the trans is a 400.

You know as we compile all this info and answer questions for each other we really are reconstructing what the cars were like exactly when the show was filmed' date=' but unless someone else who is interested comes along and goes through this thread line by line they'll never understand it..... PLUS we are talking about the car in the pilot, the 2 cars in Season 1 and the 2 cars in Season 2. That is a lot of info especially when mixed in with all the info about you guys and your own individual cars you are making as "more or less" replicas (deviating here or there for personal taste). So I propose a chart or something that includes pictures that will document what we determine here per car per season so that in the future this info doesn't have to be "rediscovered". Remember even CameraDaytona's car is not 100% accurate to the way it was on the show any more.. IDK.. any thoughts guys?[/quote'] I like your idea because there are so many details to keep track of and it's easy to mix up S1 frm S2 changes that I'm sure I won't recall everything discussed here when work on my interior starts. Think we need some sort of written outline with pics referencing the comments. Not sure though how we do that in here.

CameraDaytona is right, you miss a couple weeks and it takes a while to get caught up on this thread!To clarify, the spinners are definitely Zenith spinners? My wheels appear to be replica Borrani wheels, but they've got lug nuts (originals were single-nut lockables). So my spinners are Borrani 3 prong straight, so they've got the right look but they're black in the center and I'd like to replace them with ones like on the show. Nothing on eBay at the moment.Also, any idea where I can find a chrome license plate strip? Looks like Sonny-Burnett and I both have the same black plastic ones. I don't see them at Rowley, might be tough to source.Thanks to all so much for all the great info! Have only had the car in Texas for 3 weeks now and with the craziest winter we've had in ages I haven't been out in it much but I sure have learned a lot about it from this thread. You guys are a lifesaver.-Brian W

I googled Borrani, Zenith, and Dayton wire wheels...came up with these on eBay. Plenty of sets available, think I'll grab 'em for $20. I think this is pretty correct/accurate, no?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIRE-WHEEL-CENTER-CAP-STICKERS-SET-GOLD-/160487395888?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255dcb5230-Brian W

Sounds like we need to take a few pages out of the mad max movie page page http://www.madmaxmovies.com/and do this:http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/mad-max-interceptor/index.htmlhttp://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/Replica/Black/index.htmljust for the daytona.and I completely forgot about this page Sonny and Jag:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2147Eingefügtes Bild

WOW! - Brian I think those look like they are the EXACT correct emblems for the centers of the spinners - GREAT FIND! All you guys with actual cars will want to look at this link...

post-592-13892963428835_thumb.jpg

WOW! - Brian I think those look like they are the EXACT correct emblems for the centers of the spinners - GREAT FIND! All you guys with actual cars will want to look at this link...

For some reason the eagle landing was a popular center cap for a period of time. Both Zenith and Dayton sell the center caps just like that. Zenith, which is the brand on the MV Daytona, no longer sell them in gold. Dayton still does, and then the generics are also still available. The actual ones on the Camera Car during filming were just like this but had the legend "Zenith Wire Wheels" printed underneath the eagles talons.The Dayton and Zenith caps are not the same as the generics. The metal portion is raised, and the backing is solid. But then again, the price is much higher. I have owned both types. I currently have the Daytons with the correct color on my car.

For some reason the eagle landing was a popular center cap for a period of time. Both Zenith and Dayton sell the center caps just like that. Zenith' date=' which is the brand on the MV Daytona, no longer sell them in gold. Dayton still does, and then the generics are also still available. The actual ones on the Camera Car during filming were just like this but had the legend "Zenith Wire Wheels" printed underneath the eagles talons.The Dayton and Zenith caps are not the same as the generics. The metal portion is raised, and the backing is solid. But then again, the price is much higher. I have owned both types. I currently have the Daytons with the correct color on my car.[/quote'] Yeah, I may keep looking...the generics will work for now but I think the real Dayton and Zenith caps are a deeper shade of gold, almost amber, correct? In some of the pics I've seen they almost look like they're reflecting the light a little bit.-Brian W

Sort of actually an alternative would be just to paint it gold rather than putting a cap on it:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild1:25

but alteast we've got an up close and personal refernce photo of what was on the MV car during its run on the show save for the zenith wire wheel writing on it

Sort of actually an alternative would be just to paint it gold rather than putting a cap on it:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild1:25

but alteast we've got an up close and personal refernce photo of what was on the MV car during its run on the show save for the zenith wire wheel writing on it
To me on the last pic you have here, the spinners do look like they are flared. Can't make out the logo on it. But think mine are fine, flared and with gold background and Ferrari label.Btw, with the clear lenses here looks like the S1 car. Which ep is this from?

Also, any idea where I can find a chrome license plate strip? Looks like Sonny-Burnett and I both have the same black plastic ones. I don't see them at Rowley, might be tough to source.-Brian W

That must have been what JN meant the other day about a missing part. But think it is the light bar. Need to ck the rear shots again.

Yeah' date=' I may keep looking...the generics will work for now but I think the real Dayton and Zenith caps are a deeper shade of gold, almost amber, correct? In some of the pics I've seen they almost look like they're reflecting the light a little bit.-Brian W[/quote'] There is a difference, or I wouldn't have spent all that time and money trying to track them down. But, to be honest that is a small detail. I became really obsessed with those small details for a while (like any hobby, this stuff can consume you). I have contacted Zenith in the past, and if you check their web site you will see that the caps they sell are really nice. As to the color, it is richer looking and has a sort of depth to it. But again, they are not cheap!!

That must have been what JN meant the other day about a missing part. But think it is the light bar. Need to ck the rear shots again.

yes, there is a chromed bit of trim that includes the tag lights for the car. The lenses themselves are very fragile, and that item can cost more than $300. It is a Ferrari part, and I haven't found a cheaper replacement. I kept my eye on EBay and found one for $125.You might take a look though, cause many of the Italian cars use interchangeable parts. Might be that an Alfa part would fit.JN

To me on the last pic you have here' date=' the spinners do look like they are flared. Can't make out the logo on it. But think mine are fine, flared and with gold background and Ferrari label.Btw, with the clear lenses here looks like the S1 car. Which ep is this from?[/quote'] Remember that Mardikian planned to market these cars to an elite market. The MSRP was $49,000 in 1983-84. So the wires, the trim and all the various features were the best available at the time. None of the cars were marked with Ferrari badging. So the nose badge and the name across the back were the only things added. That's why the steering wheel is a Momo with their logo, and not a Ferrari horn button. The wires, the steering wheel, and all the things you see on the cars were installed by McBurnie at the time of construction.The only really odd thing is the seat back cushions which you see in Car #4 in the pilot. Both cars had the same seat covers by the HEART OF DARKNESS episode.

it wouldnt be the first time it turned out the part was actually off of something else and was a hell of alot cheaper.I remember reading about a restoration of a Miura SV where the restorer was looking for the original tail lights and the only one he found in the US was selling for 5 grand and then somehow he came across the same lights which turned out to be off of an old alfa as well for $125 bucksand the episode that shot is taken from is No Exit, the one with Bruce Willis at 3:33http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12jv0_2-flics-a-miami-daytona-3_autoAnd Jurrasic so the cars werent supposed to have ANY ferrari logos on them? so were they going to be marketed as upscaled rebodied vette's then?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12jv0_2-flics-a-miami-daytona-3_autoAnd Jurrasic so the cars werent supposed to have ANY ferrari logos on them? so were they going to be marketed as upscaled rebodied vette's then?
Right' date=' notice on the speedo and tach from Camera Daytona's car that it has the Mardikian logo.[ATTACH=CONFIG']3066[/ATTACH]This is the shifter similar to the show car[ATTACH=CONFIG]3068[/ATTACH]This is a spinner on my car[ATTACH=CONFIG]3067[/ATTACH]and this is the Mardikian logo.

post-109-13892963428965_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963429092_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963429249_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the spinner pic, best one I've seen yet. I will probably spend quite a bit of time and money tracking them down myself.There are other details that aren't that important to me but for some reason the spinners are. I guess we're all kinda funny like that...some things have to be exactly right and some "personal" things are a little different for me and I want to keep them that way.-Brian W

Remember that Mardikian planned to market these cars to an elite market. The MSRP was $49' date='000 in 1983-84. So the wires, the trim and all the various features were the best available at the time. None of the cars were marked with Ferrari badging. So the nose badge and the name across the back were the only things added. That's why the steering wheel is a Momo with their logo, and not a Ferrari horn button. The wires, the steering wheel, and all the things you see on the cars were installed by McBurnie at the time of construction.The only really odd thing is the seat back cushions which you see in Car #4 in the pilot. Both cars had the same seat covers by the HEART OF DARKNESS episode.[/quote']Thanks for the perspective on this. But not getting your point about the wheel spinners here. Was earlier posted that the spinners were flat through both seasons, I believe, yet in this pic they clearly look flared out to me, as mine are, notwithstanding that maybe the caps don't have the Ferrari emblem on them.

Thanks for the perspective on this. But not getting your point about the wheel spinners here. Was earlier posted that the spinners were flat through both seasons' date=' I believe, yet in this pic they clearly look flared out to me, as mine are, notwithstanding that maybe the caps don't have the Ferrari emblem on them.[/quote'] Not flared, swept. Swept is the most common version of the 3 eared spinner.

Thanks for the spinner pic' date=' best one I've seen yet. I will probably spend quite a bit of time and money tracking them down myself.There are other details that aren't that important to me but for some reason the spinners are. I guess we're all kinda funny like that...some things have to be exactly right and some "personal" things are a little different for me and I want to keep them that way.-Brian W[/quote'] Exactly, a man of my own heart!!

Thanks for the perspective on this. But not getting your point about the wheel spinners here. Was earlier posted that the spinners were flat through both seasons' date=' I believe, yet in this pic they clearly look flared out to me, as mine are, notwithstanding that maybe the caps don't have the Ferrari emblem on them.[/quote'] These are just cheapie add-on fake knock-offs I found pictures of, but they show the difference between "SWEPT" and "STRAIGHT" ears on the spinners......

post-10068-13892963429432_thumb.jpg

post-10068-13892963429626_thumb.jpg

These are just cheapie add-on fake knock-offs I found pictures of' date=' but they show the difference between "SWEPT" and "STRAIGHT" ears on the spinners......[/quote'] THanks. Exactly right.

I'm confused. JN - we know that my car now has the black center spinner caps. Do you think these were on during its use in the series or did Carl change them after he got the car?

These are just cheapie add-on fake knock-offs I found pictures of' date=' but they show the difference between "SWEPT" and "STRAIGHT" ears on the spinners......[/quote'] Thanks Jagvic for posting these --now I see what JN was getting at.But when I said flared I meant that the blades were angled outward from the wheels away from the center plane of the blades. That is on the pic in the show Kavinsky posted earlier and teh same with my Zenith wheels and spinners. So these pics you have are Swept but not flared out at all that I can see but the last pic from Kavinsky shows the blades not only Swept but also flared. Different from what I think had been discussed as on the car during S1.Just trying to establish exactly what the spinners looked like during filming.