The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

You may have hit the nail on the head. I looked at the pictures I took inside the nose of the Camera Car. The back is vertical from top to bottom' date=' but the front is in line with the nose at the bottom of the headlights and then in line with the top of the lower body panel (I may not be making sense here, but what I am trying to say is that the front side of the grill does appear to have a slope to it.In the Camera Car as it is now, the grill looks to have been cleaned or painted and it looks more like your preference in S1. During the run of the show the grill may not have been cleaned or re-painted due to it's being wrapped into the bumpers.My car grill can be un-screwed and lifted right out, the McBurnie cannot be.JN[/quote'] There is a slope...I can try and take a shot of it if it would help? Not sure about removal...need to take a close look at it. Am going to try an polish mine before I take any closeups. Found some strong metal polish to try on it.

Sure but thats kind of odd that I didnt notice that on yours, maybe it was arched at a lesser angle on the latter ones like yours, maybe 85 - 90 then instead of something like 80 - 85 on the MV car?

The Corvette has always been a fiberglass body' date=' I think. The C3 was for sure. McBurnie says his finished car is 400 pounds lighter than the Corvette. I have to assume that his body was lighter, and probably not as thick and rigid as the Corvette.[/quote'] Sorry guys, I take a few weeks off and it's tough to catch up! Interesting note on this...I swapped out the antenna on mine as soon as I got it. It was a fixed mast (about $11) and it needed to live under a car cover, so I put one in that will most likely remain in the down position. Anyway, my Corvette guru is an amazing guy who's been doing Vettes only for about 20 years and has folks trailer their Vettes in from other states just to work on them. He said, when looking at the hole in my car where the antenna was about to go and looking in from the trunk, that the body actually seemed significantly thicker than the stock Vette. And I trust him. So assuming that's true the weight savings must have come from somewhere else. I don't know if the Vettes had power tops, but I know the top on my car is VERY lightweight and has no motorized hardware which can be a 50lb+ weight savings. Food for thought.- BW

You know its funny I think in the "heart of darkness" and other episodes they filmed the end bits first since the bren ten was parkarized at the end of that episode like an M and P model, probably what it was ment to be, like the Sig 220 he had in the pilotEingefügtes Bild and then probably polished up and put into its normal configuration before they finished the rest of the epsiode and I think they might have done that with the hitlist as well concerning the daytona and its front end damagehttp://www.dailymotion.com/video/x126dy_deux-flics-a-miami-daytona-replica_autoFreeze at 0:40Camera is there any sign of damage on the right side chrome bumper, it looked like it may have broken off after the road hopping here and note nearly all 4 wheels are OFF THE GROUNDhttp://www.dailymotion.com/video/x126dy_deux-flics-a-miami-daytona-replica_autoFreeze at 1:21and it was hanging low during that chase with the mercedes, which might have been one of the first things they filmed the next day.and I think we've got it backwards here abit, I think car 1 was a backup car if anything went wrong with car 4, which would explain why their driving it when there chatting with trudy, not necessarily a stunt car only kinda deal which would explain why it was randomly used as a camera car some of the time through S1also everyone you may want to take a look at these photos posted by ace, although I think its not that fair to compare the two with an all black interior, the daytona just doesnt look as good with a black on black on black color scheme (exterior, interior and top)http://www.miamiviceonline.com/photoplog/index.php?c=5as the interior of the car just plain disapears in one of the shots making it look like the whole top half of the car disapearedhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/photoplog/index.php?n=6749same with the testarossa, its just looks too dark and it overpowers it like this white on black lamborghini, it needs a tanish cream/tan interior for it to look good otherwise it just looks overdone.http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/super-cars/2010-murcielago-lp-670-4-sv/plus the testarossa doesnt have those nice 86/87 magnesium rims on it, nor the left wing mirror on it, a key idiosyncratic thing on it that I liked that I think really added to the look of itand just as an afterthough I think the MV car really should have been painted this color, not black, white or silver as this just looks the best on it.

since its the best of both worlds, light enough to show up in the night scenes, dark enough not to look washed out with the white filters used on the 4th and 5th seasons of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Camera when it comes to the chrome infront of the headlights can it be taken off for maintenance and cleaning or are they permanetly glued in there?and when it comes to the exhaust on the car is it split up so that two clyinders use up one pipe on either side or does either bank mate in the middle of the car and then get split up into two pipes I'm asking because honesly I cant remember a corvette sounding that good before.

• 2 weeks later...

kind of an odd development, was Mr Mike watching my plans for my daytona thread?http://mrmikes.com/Judging by the painted chrome strip on the top of the windshield it appears to be a Carl Roberts made car like jurrasics.and brian I just stumbled upon your car at auction again with two nice photos of it:http://www.kitcarmag.com/eventcoverage/0605kc_2006_barret_jackson_auction/index.html

1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spider, $1,025,000 sold on the weekend.The 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona survivor has just 9,752 miles showing on its odometer

Arent' there products to reduce engine smoke?

Yes... It's called Ford Valve Seals!!!No kidding! My friend Andy has an original '69 Z-28 Camaro and just had an engine built. Cost him thousands to get this thing done and as soon as he fired it up it smoked like crazy. He has a set of 202 heads on it so I suggested he used valve seals off a Ford as they are softer texture. Popped the valve covers off and did them in a couple of hours in the driveway withought taking the block out or apart too much. Had a special valve spring tool and installed the new seals.Problem solved...Thanks Ford!

Hmm wouldnt have thought that would have worked but it does make sense as I know they do use a malabile materal for Triumph stag heads, the kind of cork they use for wine bottle corks.

• 2 months later...
Yes' date=' my car has the same size tires (and wheels) on both the front and rear - 235/60VR15.[/quote']Just curious for you Daytona owners out there...I've got 235/60VR15s on the back and 225/60VR15s on the front...what pressure are you running in them? I picked up a nail (in a car I haven't even put 500 miles on this year, go figure), and just wondering if you guys have experimented with different pressures.-Brian W

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Brian But I do not know however I think I may have figured out what happened to Car 1 in show.Now while pinning down what changed between S1 and S2 that irked me about Car 4 I remembered that someone had said that Carl Roberts had said that the smoked plexyglass that he had lying about somewhere had a bullethole in it of all things which makes no sense whatsoever as the only time that could have happened is during this scene in S3

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT8p0XWzEIc

and actually this particular istance was based on something that actually happened in miami at about the same time the show was going on to some sort of DA who was trying to take down a drug runner or drug kingping, except with a buick in the daytona's place, no second car helping him and the car getting badly shot up and damaged.and please note that it is indeed car 4 in this scene as denoted by the front end scrape on the left side of the front flare that camera has said is still there at 2:38 after all this time and that there isnt any sign of damage to the daytona whatsoever, specifically on the plexyglass.Now El Viejo was supposed to be the first episode of S3 and by the time they got around to filming S3 judging by the fact that bren ten is history in all of S3 this might have been planned as the original way the daytona was going to go out as they already knew the testarossa was coming and already on the scene although complecations with the testarossa may have actually saved Car 4 from this particular fate, along with don holding out for more money, delaying the filming of this episode even further but not car 1 as I believe Car 1 may have had some other problems to it besides the ones we know and may have never actually been ment as a stunt car from the getgo but simply a back up car for car 4 and shot up in that particular scene. hence the bullethole in the plexyglass and the fact that it was soon taken apart and never found again, like any wrecked car that's been severly damaged, leading me to think that it was only the daytona in the original take of this scene getting badly damaged and or wrecked and also hence why Crockett in the scene imedately after punches steve buchemi straight in the gut while he's eating desert and kicks him for good messure even though this isnt the first time he's been shot at like that and has no real reason to make it personal.Now with the complications with the testarossa I was reading this wiki that I just so happened to come across and it mentions that there was some sort of defect with the car that caused the car to stall that really doesnt make alot of sense until you factor in one thing, early fuel injection stalling problemshttp://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Crockett's_Testarossanow one of the things I think car 4 original had was an 81 engine using the Crossfire fuel injection system mixed in with the turbo, and it possibily might have been a california corvette with the smaller underpowered really undesired 305 CI motor, which that alone in of it self would warrant replacing the engine with that of a non california 350 CI vette, not even factoring the amount of extra HP you could get out of a pre 1981 L82 motor and would explain why it even had a turbo to begin with to get that lost horsepower back without making it illegal to sell in California.plus it would explain why car 4 seemed kind of underpowered in this chase from S1 with another vette

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcnuS0K0fDE

yet had no problem keeping up with the countach in S2

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9hC3v0rcwA

and Car 1 was a 76' vette with frame damage that had a regualr carb on it.now Car 1 throught season 1 showed up at the oddest times like in the Home Invaders or nobody lives forever and in particular when the car was ment to do a slide it seemed like it was car 1, not car 4 doing it till season 2 where car 1 only showed up twice as we know that the replacement motor for Car 4 that was put in during the show was carbed and probably of the same vintage as the 81 engine for three reasons, fool the emissions people into thinking its the motor it came with, get more horsepower out of it with some simple mods to it which you can do with the L82 engine and the less troublesome carb and no smog equipment in place instead of the crossfire injection, california smog equipment and the turbo as the car that gets neglected in whatever works and its in that one scene in yankee dollar instead of car 4 and with Yankee Dollar I think it may have been filmed at the same time car 4 was in police custody because the mechanic who worked on it and tried to sell some atf agents noise suppressors out of it, so the car was tied up for a day.now the other thing that supports this theory is the fact that car 1 from its appearance in "whatever works" besides the different dash pad and the shifting knob looked pretty much like Car 4 so why would they not use it and then order another car for season 3? and that got me to thinking that car 3 was actually supposed to replace car 1 as a backup car that they could actually use as that frame damage may not have been able to hold up to the weight of the camera rig and may have actually had other problems like not being able to drive as well as car 4 with its messed up frame like that one cuda that got screwed up on a jump in nash bridges and was noted as never driving right ever again.now with the complications of the testarossa it seems like whenever the car did a spin In S3 it was the stuntcar doing it, not the actual testarossa and I mean a simple 180 spin that the daytona did over and over in S2 without any problems like here at 3:20 onwards

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl0onIqXDU4

and during the 180 degree stunt in down for the count Part 2 it sounds like the car was just about to cut out when they look at PMT's reaction from that particular stunt at the 4:00 minute mark

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2hQBP8qkw

and of course the last thing you want to have happen with a 80,000 dollar car in 1987 is to have the engine cut out when your trying to dodge someone coming straight at you for one of many takes in a rigorous shooting schedule where you only have two very expesnive cars at your disposal, so they had Carl buld them ONE car for another Car, Car 4 the remaining and intact car of the pair and threw in Car 1 as parts, atleast that's my theory and it would explain why he only built one stuntcar and not two, it was a one for one trade with a scrap car (car 1) thrown in for partsplus ferrari themselves didnt have fuel injection on any of their cars until the early 1980's as in 81 they finally put it on the 512BBI at about the same time GM put it on the vette and lamborghini was still using carbed cars all the way up until 1987. which means that that method of modern fuel injection was a new and untried technology and with any new tech it takes on average about 5 years to work out the kinks in it and it was brand new on the testarossa in 84 in addition to the two radiators it has explaining the stalling problem with it and possibly car 4 in the begining of the shows run.and would also explain why that popular mechanics article on the stuntcar was so specific about it having a special stunt carb on it with foam around it to prevent the fuel from sloshing out and why that was so significantly noted in the article as it wasnt until the late 80's/ early 90's that everything had fuel injection for the most part so it having a carb would have been no big deal back then around 86'/87'Also Jurrasic your going to love this, the guy at that wiki couldnt even get the engine size of the corvette's V8 right saying its a 250 CI V8.http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Crockett's_Daytonajesus talk about not doing your research, if he was my student I'd give him an F just for that lol

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Crockett's_Testarossanow one of the things I think car 4 original had was an 81 engine using the Crossfire fuel injection system mixed in with the turbo, and it possibily might have been a california corvette with the smaller underpowered really undesired 305 CI motor, which that alone in of it self would warrant replacing the engine with that of a non california 350 CI vette, not even factoring the amount of extra HP you could get out of a pre 1981 L82 motor and would explain why it even had a turbo to begin with to get that lost horsepower back without making it illegal to sell in California.plus it would explain why car 4 seemed kind of underpowered in this chase from S1 with another vette

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcnuS0K0fDE

yet had no problem keeping up with the countach in S2

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9hC3v0rcwA

and Car 1 was a 76' vette with frame damage that had a regualr carb on it.now Car 1 throught season 1 showed up at the oddest times like in the Home Invaders or nobody lives forever and in particular when the car was ment to do a slide it seemed like it was car 1, not car 4 doing it till season 2 where car 1 only showed up twice as we know that the replacement motor for Car 4 that was put in during the show was carbed and probably of the same vintage as the 81 engine for three reasons, fool the emissions people into thinking its the motor it came with, get more horsepower out of it with some simple mods to it which you can do with the L82 engine and the less troublesome carb and no smog equipment in place instead of the crossfire injection, california smog equipment and the turbo as the car that gets neglected in whatever works and its in that one scene in yankee dollar instead of car 4 and with Yankee Dollar I think it may have been filmed at the same time car 4 was in police custody because the mechanic who worked on it and tried to sell some atf agents noise suppressors out of it, so the car was tied up for a day.now the other thing that supports this theory is the fact that car 1 from its appearance in "whatever works" besides the different dash pad and the shifting knob looked pretty much like Car 4 so why would they not use it and then order another car for season 3? and that got me to thinking that car 3 was actually supposed to replace car 1 as a backup car that they could actually use as that frame damage may not have been able to hold up to the weight of the camera rig and may have actually had other problems like not being able to drive as well as car 4 with its messed up frame like that one cuda that got screwed up on a jump in nash bridges and was noted as never driving right ever again.now with the complications of the testarossa it seems like whenever the car did a spin In S3 it was the stuntcar doing it, not the actual testarossa and I mean a simple 180 spin that the daytona did over and over in S2 without any problems like here at 3:20 onwards

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl0onIqXDU4

and during the 180 degree stunt in down for the count Part 2 it sounds like the car was just about to cut out when they look at PMT's reaction from that particular stunt at the 4:00 minute mark

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2hQBP8qkw

and of course the last thing you want to have happen with a 80,000 dollar car in 1987 is to have the engine cut out when your trying to dodge someone coming straight at you for one of many takes in a rigorous shooting schedule where you only have two very expesnive cars at your disposal, so they had Carl buld them ONE car for another Car, Car 4 the remaining and intact car of the pair and threw in Car 1 as parts, atleast that's my theory and it would explain why he only built one stuntcar and not two, it was a one for one trade with a scrap car (car 1) thrown in for partsplus ferrari themselves didnt have fuel injection on any of their cars until the early 1980's as in 81 they finally put it on the 512BBI at about the same time GM put it on the vette and lamborghini was still using carbed cars all the way up until 1987. which means that that method of modern fuel injection was a new and untried technology and with any new tech it takes on average about 5 years to work out the kinks in it and it was brand new on the testarossa in 84 in addition to the two radiators it has explaining the stalling problem with it and possibly car 4 in the begining of the shows run.and would also explain why that popular mechanics article on the stuntcar was so specific about it having a special stunt carb on it with foam around it to prevent the fuel from sloshing out and why that was so significantly noted in the article as it wasnt until the late 80's/ early 90's that everything had fuel injection for the most part so it having a carb would have been no big deal back then around 86'/87'Also Jurrasic your going to love this, the guy at that wiki couldnt even get the engine size of the corvette's V8 right saying its a 250 CI V8.http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Crockett's_Daytonajesus talk about not doing your research, if he was my student I'd give him an F just for that lol
Intersting theory, but Carl took Car 1 apart at the end of Season 2 in an attempt to put a Testa look alike body on the frame. You are right that Car 4 is the only car in Season 3 (except the one blown up). Car 1 was never reasembled.JN

Hmm I see, well atleast I was right about car 4 being the only car in S3, and may have finally figured out why the engine on car 4 was replaced as the car was built by markadian in california so it could have very well been a california 305 vette first before it was leased by Universal for the shooting of miami vice. now with the destruction scene are you sure it was an actual car? I swear it looks like a model from the way they shot itand I still find that kind of weird then about the bullethole in the plexyglass, maybe they were going to use a dummy car for a shoot up scene like they did with the written off stuntcar in ashes to ashesnow with the grill after looking at this photo on that wiki there which seems to be pretty high detail Eingefügtes BildI'm starting to think the only thing Carl Roberts did to the grill was paint over the chrome with matt silver for S2 as the grill from that angle seems to be in the same place it is now judging by your photos of the camera car.Eingefügtes Bildand ontop of that Sonny said his grill was also arched as well like the camera car, except its chromed and not painted matt silver like Car 4 used to be in S2http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4971&stc=1&d=1320896823and it certainly makes quite a difference betweeen the look of his Mcburnie, the 76 one I found, and the MV car in S1 and S2 http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4968&stc=1&d=1320896818

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvZJvG3iZU

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4969&stc=1&d=1320896820http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4970&stc=1&d=1320896821and you can tell Sonny's grill protrudes over the top like the mcburnie grill of the camera car ontop and for the longest time I didnt even think Sonny's car was the same as the one on the Vice car because of the look of the painted gril vs the chrome one, it really is that stark of a difference in the way it meshes with the car.and this would also explain why out of nowhere in the night scenes of S2 the grill oddly showed up out of nowhere, sorry this is the only video of an S1 chase scene mixed in with an S2 one I could find, the s1 chase is is at the end:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirJl_2VGoo&feature=related

and it also perfectly explains why I prefered the season 1 look of the car, but not now with the painted grill as the grill is still painted matt silver and also explains why in the scenes I did like it like I used to is in S2 is because it looked like it used to in those shots in S1 when the light wasnt directly hitting the grill alowing the grill to properly mesh with the polished body and chrome of the car.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4972&stc=1&d=1320897943hell for that matter I know for a fact then when it comes to something that used to be chromed and its painted over like that that you can typically can get the old finish back with some plain old polish, so hell if camera ever wanted to restore the grill to its chromed state from S1 it would probably just be a simple matter of putting in some elbow grease, or finding another mcburnie grill, have it chromed and or cutdown, put in its place and put the original in storage like the show tonau cover.anyways I'm just glad I finally figured it out its been bugging the hell out of me trying to figure out what changed between S1 and S2 that made the front end look off to me as I really liked the look of the thing In S1 but not S2.and hell thats why I kept going over the nose so carefully, my thought process was it the flares? no they look fine when the car is shot from natural levels above the blood grove like line on the car and thus wouldnt detract away from the body in real life.okay headlights, not a big deal as the gap doesnt really show up that much with the smoked plexyglass on in the daytime and HID headlights would rectify that problem completely at night at with the normal plexyglass on it looks fine.Chrome infront of the headlights? the ones without it do seem sleaker and it was only ment to really spread the light around the area infront of the headlights to allow it to properly illuminate the road with the smoked plexyglass on but it really doesnt detract from the nose to the point where it would make the car look ugly, although it does make the nose seem a touch longer in the front but thats not necessarily a bad thingGrill: something is off about it but I cant put my finger on it, moved further outward? possibile but doesnt explain why it looked good in some shots but not others, the matt paint job? hard to tell untill I got a good shot of the grill confiriming that grill is still in its original spot so it had to be the fact that Carl painted it.and that photo was the final piece of the puzzle for me.

post-592-13892963934573_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963934893_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963935266_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963935561_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963936394_thumb.jpg

Grill: something is off about it but I cant put my finger on it' date=' moved further outward? possibile but doesnt explain why it looked good in some shots but not others, the matt paint job? hard to tell untill I got a good shot of the grill confiriming that grill is still in its original spot so it had to be the fact that Carl painted it.and that photo was the final piece of the puzzle for me.[/quote']The grill on the McBurnie and Roberts cars are not chrome at all. They are aluminum strips welded together. What you are noting is probably the effect of the sea air and humidity on the aluminum which got more and more dull over time.I have painted my grill with chrome paint (which was not available back then), and it still doesn't stand out like it should. The alternative is the real Daytona grill for around $1,500.Principal photography on Yankee Dollar was December 2-11, 1985.The fellow who "borrowed" the car was sentenced in May of 1986. WIth allowances for Grand Jury and a trial that would be about right. I can't find a record of the dates the car was stolen. That is not a bad theory. I doubt the car would have been impounded more than a couple of days, but with the production schedule that might have been enough.

so I've been barking up the wrong tree with the grill to begin with then..... so that means it was probably just basic aluminium oxidation, the kind you see on old neglected military aircraft like the migs from that top gear episode in Seria which would fit actually as the car was in california to begin with and might have been exposed to salt air from the start.and then factor in the wear and tear, the shots on the beach where they seemed to use the cars alot around in both seasons and the miami climate and it would explain the sudden change in the grills apperance, still I'm sort of surprised it wasnt changed then, or even polsihed back to a shineyer state although that might have resulted in compromising the integrity of the grill and they might not have noticed it until mid through S2 and by then the cars would have been badly tied up in filming then, and then the only thing you could have really done is waxed the hell out of the grill to protect them after getting what shine was left out of them with polishand as you said its a real hardship to even get the mcburnie grill out of the car as you have to remove the chrome bumpers out of the car first to even get at it, and actually in S1 I did notice bumper damage during the hitlist so they might have had the chance to clean or polish the grill during s1 because of the repairs and the abuse the car tookand actually that would explain the look of the other mcburnie grills I came across too, they were all made in that time period of 84 - 89 roughly so unless the grill was changed to a different unit like the rowley unit which is chromed or painted with chrome paint they would and have all started to look like the vice car in S2 as I've come across atleast 2 other mcburnies with the grill in that exact same state and look to themor in Sonny Burnett's case driven hard but garaged and only the body really taken care of which explains why his car seems to exempt from the rule here, although mcburnie might have changed the way the grill was made as his car was one of the last before they went to a single headlight, or the person who had it before him painted it with chrome paint too.

post-592-13892964175179_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964175502_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Now I think I finally figured out what caused the sudden change in the grills apperance in S2 and why it revereted to looking alright, but not as good as it did in S1 for the latter half of S2 and S3 the first time the grill really doesnt look like it used to is the episode buddies and the weird thing is for part of that chase it looks fine during it, like it was filmed out of orderhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5365&stc=1&d=1327433735http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5369&stc=1&d=1327433743 but during the scene where it takes off after the vette the grill frankly looks like its brokenhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5370&stc=1&d=1327433798like its sitting ontop of the bumpers as the opening of the grill does not line up with where the air would go through it to feed air to the engine and when it hits the fish and Don hits the spin out pedal it looks like the grill mounts on the top had broken as its showing up from afar like its sitting ontop of the bumper, something it had never done during S1http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5367&stc=1&d=1327433738http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5368&stc=1&d=1327433740vs S1Eingefügtes Bildalong with the actual spot of the fish hitting the underbelly leaving a dent in the nose of the car that was noticeablein Definitely Miami and Bought and Paid for as the engine mount now sticks out below the nose in that spot where it hit the fishEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5366&stc=1&d=1327433737along with the grill looking off in general in back in this worldhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5371&stc=1&d=1327433799but not the rest of the second season after car 4 was indesposed for an episode because of a mechanic who was doing repairs on it used it to sell noise supressiors for guns out of it before the filming of Yankee dollar, in which Car 1 was used for the last time.

post-592-13892964173611_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964173936_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964174255_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964174541_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964174864_thumb.jpg

during which I believe the underbelly of the nose was fixed along with the grill being either remounted or changed for the one off of Car 1 as by that point, 6 months before the start of filming for S3 they would have known that they were going to be getting a new car for S3 so carl probably by that point would have tried to make a testarossa replica out of it plus looking at the grill between Tales of the Goat, Irish eyes and today.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5373&stc=1&d=1327435332http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5372&stc=1&d=1327435330http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5374&stc=1&d=1327435686it looks like something happened to it after tales of the goat as the top seems to be protruding infront of the plexyglass in tales, while afterwards it looks like its further back, not to mention overal the grill looks like it may have been cleaned up between that time period.Vs its S1 look here during the pilot and the scorehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5375&stc=1&d=1327435688Eingefügtes Bildbut the really funny thing about that scene in buddies though is that car 1 was used exactly for that kind of scene in S1, during nobody lives forever on the beach as Car 1 has a much smaller nose on it that doesnt appear to have any flares on it so it would have been the ideal car to run into that fish withEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand as to why Car 1 was scrapped in general the reasoning is simple, the interior wasnt that nice with its smaller worn 76 dash that was visibile in yankee dollar, the body wasnt as close to car 4 as they thought it was and the chasis was that of a damaged car, but the funny thing about my theory is it actually kind of lines up with the volo car as the volo car looks to have an oddly short nose and is missing one key thing, the grill, plus its got the spinners of the vice car on it that were on it before volo restored ithttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5376&stc=1&d=1327435689

post-592-138929641758_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964176132_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964176471_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964176661_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964176895_thumb.jpg

mind you this could be more or less juxtaposition on my part, but the nose did take some damage over its pilot to S3 run so the mount of the grill could have eventually been damaged, necessitating the change of the angle of the grill and its placement.however it could have just shown up more because of the smoked plexyglass over it, making the top of the nose all black instead of silver ontop of silver like with the clear plexyglass of S1 and now.but the closest thing that seems to prove it is the way the light is hitting the grill during El Viejo http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5377&stc=1&d=1327437522as during the pilot when they were running with the highs on when they had the smoked plexyglass on and it didnt do that, plus I think that they did a bunch of filming with the car for stock footage before its refit for heart of darkness during the pilot as during the devo scene where you can see its running with the highs on it looks like don is wearing his blue pilot shirt

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqQUkiFNVT4

and the grils not showing up there, plus I swear it looks like the tail pipes are horizontal in that scene, even though it seems the running lights are yellow with it in that scene which I dont think they were in the pilot, however we never really got a good look at the car from the back during the pilot so it might have been that way from the getgo.

post-592-13892964177278_thumb.jpg

Regarding the McBurnie grill shots and comments I think you may be onto something as I don't believe I ever mentioned that my grill, which appears to be made of lightweight aluminum, is detached at one top point where a screw head appears to have broken off. The effect is that it has some play when touched and you can see about 1/4 of an inch from a top down view as it has slid forward somewhat from its detached point (left uppper mount)I think that the prior owner may have caused that (broken screw head) when hitting a parking block as that would coincide with scratches under the fiberglass nose.

yeah then it has the same construction as the camera cars grill, its just that yours was made as chrome paint came around which car 4 and car 1 didnt have since they were both built in 81, hence the difference in appearance between your car and the one on the show even though their basically the same grill and actually if theres any play in it it would explain why it sometimes seemed inconsistant even after that point, maybe it was flopping around in the nose, changing the angle of the grill at times based on the cars momentumand it would explain why in the photos Carl had that photographer take of it right after he changed a few things around like the wheel spinners it looked like it did in tales of the goat again in this photo in 87' right after the cars retirement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvwaneccOuk

sorry best I could do as its one of the music vids I have bookmarked that I listen to while doing things

• 2 weeks later...

The grill of car 4 ( I presume) does look like it has a dent in a few of the screen captures you posted above and given how thin and lightweight the grill is, I can see how it could easily become damaged from even some relatively light contact. So if your keen eye has spotted it shifting in place I think it is possible for it to become detached as mine has, especially in some hard driving action scenes. Mine is not chrome painted but rather is really just an aluminum finish which, btw, I have been unsuccessful in getting shined up much this past summer. I tried a number of polishes and pastes and they cleaned it up but did nothing to restore its luster. So I will need someone with aluminum expertise to help with that I think. And I still need to reattach it in one spot as I mentioned.

Indeed the funny thing is I would have thought with the aluminum construction around the mounting points and the screws it would have been abit more sturdy given their positioning on the car or atleast mounted into some sort of solid screw point thats actually part of the fiberglass body to prevent that kind of dismounting. Although that probably would have resulted in the grill being damaged beyond repair instead of just the screw mounts breaking off.Actually looking at the rowley grilEingefügtes BildIt's pulled into the nose like it was in S1 and has quite alot of extra metal on it on the top where it meets with the nose. Maybe that's why so many daytona replicas made by mcburnie and carl roberts have gone over to the rowley unit as it looks sturdier than the mcburnie unit and Jurrasic has said that its rigged up in such a way that you dont have to take the bumpers off to take it off and clean it. its just a matter of taking the screws off and it pulls right out.Actually if you removed that extra metal on the top of the Rowley unit and angled it to sit on the bumpers it would probably end up looking like the mcburnie did in S2 as well, maybe thats the key with the mcburnie gril.have someone redo a mcburnie gril by adding to it to on the top make it more sturdy and easier to dismount like the rowley unit. ill have to remember to look into that, its not the first time I've actually seen a modded Mcburnie, but not in that manner though.although I dont really know how you'd restore the luster of a alumiunmn gril like that Sonny, the only way I could think of would be to have the thing chemically refinished and then have someone chrome paint it to protect the metal underneath from the elements.

Indeed the funny thing is I would have thought with the aluminum construction around the mounting points and the screws it would have been abit more sturdy given their positioning on the car or atleast mounted into some sort of solid screw point thats actually part of the fiberglass body to prevent that kind of dismounting. Although that probably would have resulted in the grill being damaged beyond repair instead of just the screw mounts breaking off.It's pulled into the nose like it was in S1 and has quite alot of extra metal on it on the top where it meets with the nose. Maybe that's why so many daytona replicas made by mcburnie and carl roberts have gone over to the rowley unit as it looks sturdier than the mcburnie unit and Jurrasic has said that its rigged up in such a way that you dont have to take the bumpers off to take it off and clean it. its just a matter of taking the screws off and it pulls right out.Actually if you removed that extra metal on the top of the Rowley unit and angled it to sit on the bumpers it would probably end up looking like the mcburnie did in S2 as well' date=' maybe thats the key with the mcburnie gril.have someone redo a mcburnie gril by adding to it to on the top make it more sturdy and easier to dismount like the rowley unit. ill have to remember to look into that, its not the first time I've actually seen a modded Mcburnie, but not in that manner though.although I dont really know how you'd restore the luster of a alumiunmn gril like that Sonny, the only way I could think of would be to have the thing chemically refinished and then have someone chrome paint it to protect the metal underneath from the elements.[/quote']One of the major weaknesses of these cars is the fact that certain parts are dependant on the fiberglass to support it. In the case of the grill, one would be well served to go back and support all of those attachment points with a bit of sheet or bar aluminium or metal. All the bodies that we see now were actually laid in fiberglass in the late 1980s (some are over 30 years old). The fiberglass is subject to vibration and becomes brittle with age. But I do want to try some of the newest chrome paint on my grill when I get a chance. Most of these cars have aluminum grills and bumpers. The bumpers are hard enough to get to shine, and the grill is just impossible.I was fortunate enough to buy stainless steel bumpers from Carl Roberts on one of my visits (the last set of polished bumpers he had), and those babies don't take as much care.JN

Maybe that's why so many daytona replicas made by mcburnie and carl roberts have gone over to the rowley unit as it looks sturdier than the mcburnie unit and Jurrasic has said that its rigged up in such a way that you dont have to take the bumpers off to take it off and clean it. its just a matter of taking the screws off and it pulls right out..

Just ran across a nice looking 1976 based Daytona with a McBurnie body, and described as a McBurnie car, but all the accessories are Rowley. The gauges are Rowley, the seats and door panels, the grill, and just about everything in the car are Rowley parts. And that is probably because you can still get some parts from Rowley. The others are essentially out of business.JN

Just ran across a nice looking 1976 based Daytona with a McBurnie body' date=' and described as a McBurnie car, but all the accessories are Rowley. The gauges are Rowley, the seats and door panels, the grill, and just about everything in the car are Rowley parts. And that is probably because you can still get some parts from Rowley. The others are essentially out of business.JN[/quote']Kavinsky, check this car out:http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/132405/index.html?no_cache=1&ret=20&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Boffset%5D=0&request%5Bfilter%5D%5Browcount%5D=6