The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

One of the major weaknesses of these cars is the fact that certain parts are dependant on the fiberglass to support it. In the case of the grill' date=' one would be well served to go back and support all of those attachment points with a bit of sheet or bar aluminium or metal. All the bodies that we see now were actually laid in fiberglass in the late 1980s (some are over 30 years old). The fiberglass is subject to vibration and becomes brittle with age. But I do want to try some of the newest chrome paint on my grill when I get a chance. Most of these cars have aluminum grills and bumpers. The bumpers are hard enough to get to shine, and the grill is just impossible.I was fortunate enough to buy stainless steel bumpers from Carl Roberts on one of my visits (the last set of polished bumpers he had), and those babies don't take as much care.JN[/quote']yeah that's the kind of thing you tend to forget about cars from the 80's that they are infact 30 years of age now, not 10 or 20 like they were in the 90's and 2000's. Also I remember reading in the gallery that ace had to fix the back bumper of his daytona replica for the shots he took of it that he posted so I guess I shouldnt be that surprised about the fiberglass getting brittle and the mounts getting a little warped.I'm just glad I may have figured out finally what caused the grill to look so different for S2, its been driving me nuts trying to figure that one out although I didnt know that the bumpers were also aluminium
Kavinsky' date=' check this car out:[url']http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/132405/index.html?no_cache=1&ret=20&request[filter][offset]=0&request[filter][rowcount]=6
ah that one, I've come across it before but not with close up photos like that

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvZJvG3iZU

also I forgot to mention this but that guy mr mikes leather seems to have taken a vested interest in the replicas now after seeing thishttp://mrmikes.com/corvettevern.htmEingefügtes Bildmatching door panels to match the seatsEingefügtes Bildfunny thing is though it keeps reminding me of the original door panels the daytona had on the show with the black striping on them, probably possibile to order them without I would imagine.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may have found out why exactly that what I thought was the banged up chrome strip from the camera mount used in the pilot for the top down shot was never replaced on car 4 during the show Now during Whatever works which was just on tv at 8:00 AM in the morning on channel 220 a few days ago I noticed that when we see Crockets neglected ferrari at the seizure lot something looks really odd about the chrome strip ontop of the 76 car, car 1 that was aquired after the pilot in S1http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5488&stc=1&d=1329883728its got drill holes all across it at specific key points like someone drilled into it to mount a camera onto it http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5487&stc=1&d=1329883727which doesnt make any sense for it to be on Car 1 which was aquired after the pilot, the only time they did the famous top down hood shot and hell they never used it again for stock footage either.and since car 1 was a 76 with different windshield trim maybe what they did was that they figured people would pick up on drilled and tapped chrome strip on the nicer of the two cars, car 4 and switched the chrome strip with that of car 1 which might have had a slightly different shape to it than the 76's cars one hence the really rough fit to it that showed up in the close ups occasionally in S2http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5489&stc=1&d=1329885057as the 76 model year, the model year of car 1 was the second to last year of the old style corvette dash and chrome winshield trim before they started transitioning to the 78 overhaul style with the new glove box comparment and no chrome trim over the windshield:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/1976/1976a/index.html plus for the 80 redesign of the corvette which was the style they stuck to till 1982, the last year of the C3 corvette (and car 4 was an 81) they redid the body to make it more aerodynamic which might have also included the outer windshield trimhttp://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/1980/1980d/index.html hence why it probably didnt quite fit properly, plus the original chrome strip of the 76 car might have been rigged up to sit ontop of the chrome in the front and not to sink into the windshield like it does on the 76 car with the 81 strip hence why it seems to protrude over the top of the windshield like that, yet on car 1 it looks fine in yankee dollar.Eingefügtes Bildand in the shot below from Junk love with car 4 you can see the chrome is just not quite fitting flush with the windshield from the inside, like its just a touch too big for it or like its unsupported and thus doesnt sit as flush as it looks like it shouldand hell you can even see that in the daytona today pictures when looking closely at the top of the windshield on the right side vs the left:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5490&stc=1&d=1329886424

post-592-13892964206069_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964206202_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964206515_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964206815_thumb.jpg

Just thought that this was worth noting but it appears that its been that way since the second episode of the show as looking through the episode glossary and looking at the shots theres a few where the chrome strip looks like it did in the close ups of it in S2In the PilotEingefügtes BildLatter in Little PrinceEingefügtes Bildmeaning that they probably switched around the windshield trim of the two cars before Carl was brought to in to work on them, meaning he probably didnt know about it and hence why he didnt replace that strip for S2although considering how his windshield trim covers up that part of the windshield from the frontEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild it may have had a part in the creation of his painted windshield trim hence why that part of the windshield is covered up from the front even though it seems like the only reason why it stuck out was because unbeknownst to Carl it had the larger chrome trim of the earlier car on it hence why it didnt fit properlyand this also explains why it seemed like the chrome seemed to fit better on the 76 car rather than car 4, with and without the rest of the windshields chrome trim on it

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5488&stc=1&d=1329883728its got drill holes all across it at specific key points like someone drilled into it to mount a camera onto it http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5487&stc=1&d=1329883727 plus for the 80 redesign of the corvette which was the style they stuck to till 1982' date=' the last year of the C3 corvette (and car 4 was an 81) they redid the body to make it more aerodynamic which might have also included the outer windshield trim[/quote']The holes ou are talking about are how that strip is attached. The holes and screws are on both cars. Camera mounts are seldom screwed into the cars (take a close look at some of the pictures on the site and you will see they are strapped on with heavy ratchet type straps). I think the thing you are seeing on the front is that the windshield top trim (not the silver strip, but the surround that was chrome on Car 1 during Season One) is attached with some really cheesy clips that tend to break with little influence. It looks to me like that trim may have drooped a little to allow the forward edge of the chrome strip to show. The setup they use on the show Daytonas was standard for the 75 convertible Vettes, but look different because the inner trim pieces were change slightly. The 78-82 Vettes were never convertible, and so the Camera car trim is a hybrid of 80 and 75 trim. The 76 seems to be straight 76 inner trim. One of the good ways to get the picture on this is to take a look at a site like Ecklers Corvettes and pull up pictures of the parts.Truthfully, though, I wouldn't have a clue if I weren't in the process of changing out my Carl Roberts Trim for the same setup as the Camera Car (the cost for that Chrome trim across the top is crazy--just like some of the Ferrari parts!!)The only real difference in the outer trim is that somewhere around 1980 the outer trim was painted flat black. Before that it was chrome, but the pieces that surround the windshield are the same shape and attachment.

Latter in Little Prince'Eingefügtesmeaning that they probably switched around the windshield trim of the two cars before Carl was brought to in to work on them" data-date=" meaning he probably didnt know about it and hence why he didnt replace that strip for S2although considering how his windshield trim covers up that part of the windshield from the front[IMG">

http://mrmikes.com/vern2.jpgEingefügtes Bild it may have had a part in the creation of his painted windshield trim hence why that part of the windshield is covered up from the front even though it seems like the only reason why it stuck out was because unbeknownst to Carl it had the larger chrome trim of the earlier car on it hence why it didnt fit properlyand this also explains why it seemed like the chrome seemed to fit better on the 76 car rather than car 4, with and without the rest of the windshields chrome trim on it

The main reason Carl Roberts gave for the trim around the windsheild was that the windshield was the most common indicator that the car was a replica (the windshield on the Vette was destinctive looking). The trim piece made the car look less Vette-ish. Carl really wanted to duplicate the look of the Ferrari--which is what Ferrari contended in their lawsuit. It really doesn't serve any other purpose. And because it is really thin fiberglass, the piece is not really durable.BUt there are not two versions of that chrome strip, there is only one size that was used on all the convertibles.JN

The main reason Carl Roberts gave for the trim around the windsheild was that the windshield was the most common indicator that the car was a replica (the windshield on the Vette was destinctive looking). The trim piece made the car look less Vette-ish. Carl really wanted to duplicate the look of the Ferrari--which is what Ferrari contended in their lawsuit. It really doesn't serve any other purpose. And because it is really thin fiberglass' date=' the piece is not really durable.BUt there are not two versions of that chrome strip, there is only one size that was used on all the convertibles.JN[/quote']ah I see

The holes ou are talking about are how that strip is attached. The holes and screws are on both cars. Camera mounts are seldom screwed into the cars (take a close look at some of the pictures on the site and you will see they are strapped on with heavy ratchet type straps). I think the thing you are seeing on the front is that the windshield top trim (not the silver strip' date=' but the surround that was chrome on Car 1 during Season One) is attached with some really cheesy clips that tend to break with little influence. It looks to me like that trim may have drooped a little to allow the forward edge of the chrome strip to show. The setup they use on the show Daytonas was standard for the 75 convertible Vettes, but look different because the inner trim pieces were change slightly. The 78-82 Vettes were never convertible, and so the Camera car trim is a hybrid of 80 and 75 trim. The 76 seems to be straight 76 inner trim. One of the good ways to get the picture on this is to take a look at a site like Ecklers Corvettes and pull up pictures of the parts.Truthfully, though, I wouldn't have a clue if I weren't in the process of changing out my Carl Roberts Trim for the same setup as the Camera Car (the cost for that Chrome trim across the top is crazy--just like some of the Ferrari parts!!)The only real difference in the outer trim is that somewhere around 1980 the outer trim was painted flat black. Before that it was chrome, but the pieces that surround the windshield are the same shape and attachment.[/quote']Ah I see so its a yes then it could be painted. I kinda thought it looked almost like some sort of rubber like trim to it, like a matt black with a slight tint of brown in it which is usually the sign that its a ruber piece of some sort. I didnt figure that chrome strip on the top would be so expensive, hmph maybe you should go for an alumiunm reproduction of some sort if they make'em just like they did with the bumpers and the grill of the replicas.and I didnt think it was held in with clips like that but looking at the top down photo of the daytona from the home invaders I do sort of see the same thing on car 4, which is probably what I'm seeing then.Eingefügtes Bildso maybe I was right the first time then, the clips just broke from the weight of the camera mount in the pilot, although you mean that it was the clips holding the extra piece of trim that the rowely replica that I've used as an example before doesnt have is what broke right? for the piece below the chrome there, the black strip that runs across the top of the vette windshield underneath it.

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/images/KDPics/thehomeinvaders/Invaders42.jpgso maybe I was right the first time then, the clips just broke from the weight of the camera mount in the pilot, although you mean that it was the clips holding the extra piece of trim that the rowely replica that I've used as an example before doesnt have is what broke right? for the piece below the chrome there, the black strip that runs across the top of the vette windshield underneath it.

I'll give you a hint on something. You may have picked this up yourself, but there is one dead give away in the area you are focusing in. The Camera car has sun visors. The 76 sunvisors were fitted differently, so it never had any. In lots of shots (like the one from home invaders) you'll see the stub poking out-but no sun visor. The reason I say that is that the chrome strip across the top of the windshield is the same in both cars, but the end caps are different because of the sun visor mount.

post-109-13892964207763_thumb.jpg

I'll give you a hint on something. You may have picked this up yourself' date=' but there is one dead give away in the area you are focusing in. The Camera car has sun visors. The 76 sunvisors were fitted differently, so it never had any. In lots of shots (like the one from home invaders) you'll see the stub poking out-but no sun visor. The reason I say that is that the chrome strip across the top of the windshield is the same in both cars, but the end caps are different because of the sun visor mount.[/quote']ah I see, its just that we never really got that many shots of the 76's interior in the shows run that much so its little wonder I didnt really pick up on it that quicklyso because their not there in the shot of the 76 car it looks kinda cleaner from that angle IE you dont have those two pegs sticking out with nothing attached to them in the middle of the leather, while in the 76 car theirs nothing in the way and it looks cleaner because of that.and I do have to admit I have abit of a vested interest in the 76 cars interior there as I want to try and accomplish what Markadian did with it in a different way using circular gauges like it had mixed in with a 78 interior using the cars I've seen over at that website as a way to show what I'm thinking of. which Ill get into soon enough here as I've been rethinking the mirrors thing and I want to go over that again before moving onto the interior on my threadas I just noticed I was thinking of going in the wrong direction with the mirrors as they seem to look better when there further away from the top of the doors.

• 2 months later...

Momo Veloce Steering wheelWell after nearly 2 years of searching I have found a Momo Veloce steering wheel that matches up with the one on Car 4 in appearance and size. (same diameter). Below is the wheel (still needs a Momo horn-button) and Car 4 interior shot for comparison. Would appreciate the thoughts and suggestions of anyone who has attempted to replace a wheel such as this as I have not done so before.Think I will need a mounting hub of some sort and maybe column modifications but not sure as yet. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5833[/ATTACH] and [ATTACH=CONFIG]5831[/ATTACH]vs Car 4[ATTACH=CONFIG]5832[/ATTACH]and a shot of my current wheel and column [ATTACH=CONFIG]5835[/ATTACH]

post-36-13892964351043_thumb.jpg

post-36-13892964351963_thumb.jpg

post-36-13892964352816_thumb.jpg

post-36-13892964354373_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well after nearly 2 years of searching I have found a Momo Veloce steering wheel that matches up with the one on Car 4 in appearance and size. (same diameter). Below is the wheel (still needs a Momo horn-button) and Car 4 interior shot for comparison. Would appreciate the thoughts and suggestions of anyone who has attempted to replace a wheel such as this as I have not done so before.Think I will need a mounting hub of some sort and maybe column modifications but not sure as yet. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5833[/ATTACH] and [ATTACH=CONFIG]5831[/ATTACH]vs Car 4[ATTACH=CONFIG]5832[/ATTACH]and a shot of my current wheel and column [ATTACH=CONFIG]5835[/ATTACH]

Should be a standard MOMO adaptor for the Corvette hub. Not sure about taking the old wheel off, but the adaptor and placing the wheel is fairly simple for any shop to do.

Should be a standard MOMO adaptor for the Corvette hub. Not sure about taking the old wheel off' date=' but the adaptor and placing the wheel is fairly simple for any shop to do.[/quote']Thanks, JN. I did notice that when I took the closeup of my steering column and compared to the Car4 interior shot, that our steering columns looked the same, including the control handles. So we both then must have stock Vette columns. Will need to locate a MOMO adaptor and a horn-button.

Thanks' date=' JN. I did notice that when I took the closeup of my steering column and compared to the Car4 interior shot, that our steering columns looked the same, including the control handles. So we both then must have stock Vette columns. Will need to locate a MOMO adaptor and a horn-button.[/quote']There is an Ebay store in South Carolina that is easy to use, and reasonably priced. Just run a search for "MOMO" and "Corvette" and they will pop up. They also have the MOMO horn buttons. I think you need a tool to take the wheel off, so I would have a shop do it, but that is fairly quick and easy.

Thanks' date=' JN. I did notice that when I took the closeup of my steering column and compared to the Car4 interior shot, that our steering columns looked the same, including the control handles. So we both then must have stock Vette columns. Will need to locate a MOMO adaptor and a horn-button.[/quote']yeah pretty much except his is tan, actually Sonny where did you get that photo? I've never seen that one of car 4 before.

There is an Ebay store in South Carolina that is easy to use' date=' and reasonably priced. Just run a search for "MOMO" and "Corvette" and they will pop up. They also have the MOMO horn buttons. I think you need a tool to take the wheel off, so I would have a shop do it, but that is fairly quick and easy.[/quote']Thanks again. :thumbsup:

yeah pretty much except his is tan' date=' actually Sonny where did you get that photo? I've never seen that one of car 4 before.[/quote']Got that from JN as he took many detailed shots of Car4. I will probably need to ask either CameraDaytona or jurassic narc for additional interior shots when I do start the interior renovation project.

Got that from JN as he took many detailed shots of Car4. I will probably need to ask either CameraDaytona or jurassic narc for additional interior shots when I do start the interior renovation project.

ah gotcha and congrats on getting the wheeland if you need any shots of the interior from the show provided they are S2 onwards I should be able to take them for you

ah gotcha and congrats on getting the wheeland if you need any shots of the interior from the show provided they are S2 onwards I should be able to take them for you

Thanks on that. It is pretty cool to find a duplicate of the original wheel, right down to the Logo. I will definitely need more detail shots and hopefully from CD and JN as well as some screen caps.

Thanks on that. It is pretty cool to find a duplicate of the original wheel' date=' right down to the Logo. I will definitely need more detail shots and hopefully from CD and JN as well as some screen caps.[/quote']If you really want to duplicate the car show (which is my goal, with certain artistic license that I have chosen) the hardest part will be the door panels. CameraDaytona's car has the same seats, dash and interior treatment. The outside of the car is exactly the same except the tail lights have been inverted and the tinted panel over the headlights has been removed.But, as near as I can determine the door panels created my Cichetti Upholstery no longer exist. They, like the dash design, were unique to the original MARDIKIAN cars. I think I have figured out a way to replicate them, however, from the door panel frames that are available for the Daytonas.I should know in a couple of months if my idea works. If it does I will pass it on to you. I also have the measurements for the striping on the seats when you get ready to do that.I had decided to leave my Ferrari horn button, and the horse logo on the back trunk lid. The logo on the trunk and the antenna on the passenger side of the rear might get changed if I have the car repainted, but until then I am leaving them alone. The only other thing I can't change is the grill--I just can't find a McBurnie grill that is not in a car.Continued good luck on your project!!JN

If you really want to duplicate the car show (which is my goal' date=' with certain artistic license that I have chosen) the hardest part will be the door panels. CameraDaytona's car has the same seats, dash and interior treatment. The outside of the car is exactly the same except the tail lights have been inverted and the tinted panel over the headlights has been removed.[/quote']I have similar goals in that I want to duplicate the show car (4) as to dash, center console, seats, carpeting, and tonneau cover. For the exterior I may leave my headlight covers as I do like them, and need to find the Ferrari script in chrome for the trunk lid, widen my exhaust pipe placement, replace the tires, and reverse the taillights. However, I continue to struggle with finding an intact and good condition 78-82 dash assembly with working guages and a 140mph speedo. If you see one please let me know. As to the door panels you are referring to, do you mean the one with the large door pocket as seen in one of the screen caps in front of the Senator Hotel (forgot the ep), or a different look? Think you mean you have already duplicated Car 4's seats, dash and interior treatment.
But, as near as I can determine the door panels created my Cichetti Upholstery no longer exist. They, like the dash design, were unique to the original MARDIKIAN cars. I think I have figured out a way to replicate them, however, from the door panel frames that are available for the Daytonas.
Well this does have my curiosity and would like to see photographically what you have in mind.
I should know in a couple of months if my idea works. If it does I will pass it on to you. I also have the measurements for the striping on the seats when you get ready to do that.
Very cool...pls keep me posted. Yes the striping measurements would be good though I am not clear on how that works. Are they stitched on and black?
I had decided to leave my Ferrari horn button, and the horse logo on the back trunk lid. The logo on the trunk and the antenna on the passenger side of the rear might get changed if I have the car repainted, but until then I am leaving them alone. The only other thing I can't change is the grill--I just can't find a McBurnie grill that is not in a car.
I like your Ferrari horn button. I thought it added a nice touch. Can't recall your trunk as it has been awhile. I have a horse logo on my RR trunk panel as well and plan to keep it as well. So there will be some differences to Car 4 from mine as well even when I am done. So your antenna is on the right side as opposed to the left? Mine is on the left but I do need to now replace my power antenna. Was hoping to repair the nylon cord inside the mast but not sure if is possible. May need to find an entire antenna assembly. Didn't realize you were looking for a McBurnie grill as I thought your Rowley looked good. I did see one over a year ago on Ebay. I'll keep my eyes open for you. Are you looking for anything else?
Continued good luck on your project!!JN
Thank you and let's stay in touch!

Thank you and let's stay in touch!

No other parts needs (other than the McBurnie grill--which is a wish not a need), just working with an upholstery guy to get the seats and the door panels the way I want them.I the next week I hope to post some pictures, as everything on my car is "done" except the last version of the seats and door panels. Took the Roberts trim off the windshield and put the chrome and black windshield trim on. Revised the carpet on the dash (and found a decent source for the high end carpet if you want to do that-ended up using German velour instead of Wilton Wool as it has a better overall look to me), and got the shape of the dash the way I want it. Have gotten the interior trim pieces covered the way I want them, and done a few things to the appearance of the engine.With summer coming on I plan to put it on the road and do some cruising!!!!JN

Took some time off today, and got the Daytona "finished". Unfortunatley it was cloudy, so the pictures aren't as good as I hoped.

post-109-13892964383653_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964385049_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964386423_thumb.jpg

If you really want to duplicate the car show (which is my goal' date=' with certain artistic license that I have chosen) the hardest part will be the door panels. CameraDaytona's car has the same seats, dash and interior treatment. The outside of the car is exactly the same except the tail lights have been inverted and the tinted panel over the headlights has been removed.But, as near as I can determine the door panels created my Cichetti Upholstery no longer exist. They, like the dash design, were unique to the original MARDIKIAN cars. I think I have figured out a way to replicate them, however, from the door panel frames that are available for the Daytonas.I should know in a couple of months if my idea works. If it does I will pass it on to you. I also have the measurements for the striping on the seats when you get ready to do that.I had decided to leave my Ferrari horn button, and the horse logo on the back trunk lid. The logo on the trunk and the antenna on the passenger side of the rear might get changed if I have the car repainted, but until then I am leaving them alone. The only other thing I can't change is the grill--I just can't find a McBurnie grill that is not in a car.Continued good luck on your project!!JN[/quote']so your going to have a crack at replicating the door panels then? even with the boom box like speaker on it and the door lights on the end that light up at night?http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5859&stc=1&d=1335569880Eingefügtes Bildand what do you mean Cichetti Upholstery doesnt exist? I'm not sure what you mean by that and the panels on it now are a 100% rowley with a modified corvette arm rest reinforced on the ends with a normal vette door handle:Eingefügtes Bildminus the chrome and the door handle covers up the edges on the top while the handrests cover up the rest of it.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5861&stc=1&d=1335570383and I would think they would still somewhat be avalabile.and Sonny actually this might help with the antenna and maybe the clock toohttp://www.calweb.com/~griffitt/MetraPowerAntenna.htmlhttp://www.calweb.com/~griffitt/Clock.htmlthought I bookmarked that page though for a remote entry system it had on that vette too if I remember correctly damn it, probably going to have to redig that up too, it was on a yellow C3 and I thought it was that onealthough just make sure its rigged up for the system properly as if its not it can burn the car down if its done wrong, although I think thats primarily with the sound system not the antenna.nevermind found it, it was the corvette forum that had it, not his webpage:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2918194-1980-c3-mods-3.html

post-592-13892964387965_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964388366_thumb.jpg

and what do you mean Cichetti Upholstery doesnt exist? I'm not sure what you mean by that and the panels on it now are a 100% rowley with a modified corvette arm rest reinforced on the ends with a normal vette door handle:QUOTE]Those door panels used on Car 4 and Car 1 (neither of which are like the Rowley Door Panels) no longer exist. But I see how Mark Cichetti made them, and am going to have a go at replicating them.

Here are the differences that remain between my car and the show car (not counting the details of the seat covers and the door panels). I may change out the door handles at some point, but I think the other differences will just have to stay. If I ever repaint the antenna and the emblem could be corrected, but I like having the back up light and the mirror on the windshield. And I have not been able to find a McBurnie grill.

post-109-13892964388785_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964390176_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964391556_thumb.jpg