The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

5901[/ATTACH]

This has got to be an optical illusion caused by the angle. I have never seen a door that thick. By the way, that door panel frame looks like the one I have located as a starting point for my door panel. The inset portion is open, and will allow for it to drop over the pre-mounted armrest.

Well' date=' I guess I should put that in context. McBurnie stopped production in 1988. His cars were never produced with many of the features Rowley because Rowley continued production in some version as late as the early 2000s. Some of the last cars were not built by Rowley, but by others who excelled at the production and had made the suspension competative.McBurnie might have made some improvements on the design as time went on if not for the lawsuit. I think what he has done with the cars made at Thunder Ranch are testiment to the fact that he would have produced a high quality car had he stayed in that business.[/quote']Sure then of course there would have been advances in manufacturing and automotive design since 1988. Though I would still contend McBurnie did make a high quality car during his production run from the manufacturing specs I have read. Think I need to share them. But I didn't realize Rowley continued to make Daytonas into early 2000s.If that is the case then I would have expected his production numbers to be significantly higher than 25 or 30?

Kavinsky, any chance you could go down and talk to Rowley? I have only spoken to him twice on the phone. On one occasion he gave me a good bit of background on the history of the Daytona replicas, but he could have a lot of information if you could spend some time with him.CameraDaytona has spent time with Tom McBurnie, and gotten a pretty good handle on his story (although I'm sure there is more to be told). CameraDaytona and I have spent some time with Carl Roberts and gotten lots of his background.They all have bad things to say about each other, that much I can tell you. But if you have a chance to talk to him, and with you eye for detail, you might get some real intersting stuff.JN

This has got to be an optical illusion caused by the angle. I have never seen a door that thick. By the way' date=' that door panel frame looks like the one I have located as a starting point for my door panel. The inset portion is open, and will allow for it to drop over the pre-mounted armrest.[/quote']If not an optical illusion then it must be armored. :):D

Kavinsky' date=' any chance you could go down and talk to Rowley? I have only spoken to him twice on the phone. On one occasion he gave me a good bit of background on the history of the Daytona replicas, but he could have a lot of information if you could spend some time with him.CameraDaytona has spent time with Tom McBurnie, and gotten a pretty good handle on his story (although I'm sure there is more to be told). CameraDaytona and I have spent some time with Carl Roberts and gotten lots of his background.They all have bad things to say about each other, that much I can tell you. But if you have a chance to talk to him, and with you eye for detail, you might get some real intersting stuff.JN[/quote']I've been thinking the same thing but I've never been near there before and I dont know the roads up there and there like mazes and suchI mean the roads and highways here are slapped together and it really shows and I REALLY hate using them but I do have a GPS unit I've never tried before so I may give it a go in a couple of days but I've got alot on my plate right now including looking for a new bed and dropping the WW2 walther off at earls repair shop to get a full overhaul from top to bottom as the decockers acting up on the new slide and frankly I'm afraid to shoot it anymore.so it may take awhile but I definintely want to do it just to see one in person if they got one and I'll make sure to ask about the grills and bring some money with me just incase.

Interesting comments on the Rowley. It seems from the pics that the Rowley is closer in appearance to the actual Ferrari with narrower flares' date=' the grill and some other cosmetics as well as the interior design, though my interior is pretty Ferrari-like as well given that is was made later on in McBurnie's manufacturing stages, including the dash and the headlight covers on the exterior. I was flipping through some McBurnie Coachcraft literature today and did find where McBurnie took some jabs at other Kit makers including Rowley. I do need to take some time and scan in a lot of pages I have from the previous owner that includes assembly instructions, marketing literature including photos, invoices to the owner, and detailed descriptions of the manufacturing process. May make for interesting reading here. Wow, my doors are not that wide. Who is the manufacturer?Yeah I can see that now. Thnx[/quote']I have to admit I really feel sorry for the guy who did car 4's interior there if Mcburnie Jipped him on it, the interior of that thing is personally the best thing about it and that's saying alot considering how good the body looks on it, although I gotta admit I'm much more a fan of the rowley door panels than the ones made on car 4 back in 81, partly because it lacks detail and it seems very smooth and the speaker there seems at odds with the cars styling to meanyways the car is a mcburnie http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0050/index.htmlbut it looks like is been heavily modified with the ZT1 engine used in the 96 Chevy Impala SS and the 1990's ZR1, a beast of a car that I've always kind of liked (the impala not the C4, besides the C4 grandsport I'm strictly a C5, C3 and earlier guy) and its got 16 inch wheels on it plus the replica dash and what I presume is rowley corvette seatsplus the power locks switch on the door panels, the speakers, door handles I've never seen before on the insideI dont know who made it basically, might be another purely custom job for that particular car.I think though that the reason why it seems so big is because of how flat and smooth the door panels is probably elongating it as the rowley panel itself seems long from top down angles too at 1:31

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvZJvG3iZU

If not an optical illusion then it must be armored. :):D

Sonny does your car have a label like this? And if so what is the top number? The second picture is what Rowley used to put on turn-keys.

post-109-13892964410931_thumb.jpg

post-109-1389296441131_thumb.jpg

Sonny does your car have a label like this? And if so what is the top number? The second picture is what Rowley used to put on turn-keys.

I need to look. Where is this label on the car pictured, and is this Car 4?

Right' date=' Rowley's door panel is the most accurate to the Ferrari. The panels on the Camera car were made by Marc Cicheitti and were unique as far as I can tell. They use the stock vette door handle but are wrapped in such a way that they seem difference than a Vette. In all the MV shots the door pull looks like it is missing.This is one I got from Cichetti before he took everything off line. And the Camera Car during "Tale of the Goat".[/quote']Thought I would let you know that I was flipping through my file from the previous owner and found the invoice from the Interior guy dated 2/26/88, and believe it is the same guy you refer to. I will PM you with the info and phone number

Not getting your comment about feeling sorry for the guy who did the car 4 interior?I remember this car pictured here for sale in 2009 in Florida and I know who the seller is. He did buy a lot of Daytonas and add some cosmetic stuff and then markup up the cars for sale. The door panels I'm guessing are not McBurnie and this could be one of the other kit makers that JN was referring to who attempted to copy McBurnie's molds.

but it looks like is been heavily modified with the ZT1 engine used in the 96 Chevy Impala SS and the 1990's ZR1, a beast of a car that I've always kind of liked (the impala not the C4, besides the C4 grandsport I'm strictly a C5, C3 and earlier guy) and its got 16 inch wheels on it plus the replica dash and what I presume is rowley corvette seatsplus the power locks switch on the door panels, the speakers, door handles I've never seen before on the insideI dont know who made it basically, might be another purely custom job for that particular car

.Think the instrument cluster is similar but not the same as mine. Think you are right that it was heavily customized and I think probably not a McBurnie. And that grill looks like nothing I have ever seen before.

I think though that the reason why it seems so big is because of how flat and smooth the door panels is probably elongating it as the rowley panel itself seems long from top down angles too at 1:31

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvZJvG3iZU

Or could be a totally obscure kitmaker and an oversized door. I didn't see any McBurnie stamps on the car.

Thought I would let you know that I was flipping through my file from the previous owner and found the invoice from the Interior guy dated 2/26/88' date=' and believe it is the same guy you refer to. I will PM you with the info and phone number[/quote']nah car 4 was made by Markadian and mcburnie and probably marked as so, not strictly mcburnie hence the Markadian marks on the top of the headrests in the pilot and the speedo and mcburnie and markadian had a falling out so chances are there wasnt alot of markings on car 4 from the getgo along with the othersand it should be in the door jams like on most cars, funny though that it says WHO it was made for on the rowley, although looking at the rowley one it might be in the interior itself.
Or could be a totally obscure kitmaker and an oversized door. I didn't see any McBurnie stamps on the car.
I dont know' date=' it could be a DIY kit and maybe its using a door panel from the C4 vette the other possibility is that the markings are under the hood and in the door jams as there is something here in these two photos but not focused on:[img']http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0050/%21BR%28ZfL%21%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-D%21EjlLlz,uWBJ9m37%288Cw%7E%7E_3.jpgEingefügtes Bildand on this 76 mcburnie:http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/132405/index.html?no_cache=1&ret=20&request[filter][offset]=0&request[filter][rowcount]=6Eingefügtes Bild

I need to look. Where is this label on the car pictured' date=' and is this Car 4?[/quote']No car 4 was built as a Mardikian. McBurnie was just a hired hand at that time.

nah car 4 was made by Markadian and mcburnie and probably marked as so' date=' not strictly mcburnie hence the Markadian marks on the top of the headrests in the pilot and the speedo and mcburnie and markadian had a falling out so chances are there wasnt alot of markings on car 4 from the getgo along with the othersand it should be in the door jams like on most cars, funny though that it says WHO it was made for on the rowley, although looking at the rowley one it might be in the interior itself.[/quote']The Rowley labels I have seen are in the trunk. And yes, most of the cars were built on order, so that had a customer name attached.

nah car 4 was made by Markadian and mcburnie and probably marked as so' date=' not strictly mcburnie hence the Markadian marks on the top of the headrests in the pilot and the speedo and mcburnie and markadian had a falling out so chances are there wasnt alot of markings on car 4 from the getgo along with the others[/quote']My comment was in response to JN's earlier comment about the guy who did the door panels on Car4 and he was based in San Diego. His business is still there at the same address so if he worked on the door panels it would be good to see if he can help modify ours. This company installed my door panels, top, seat upholstery, carpet, tonneau, dash and rails, sun visors, trunk lining, console and threshhold plates as I have the invoice from him to the original owner of my car. His name was Cicchetto.

Where are these id plates found? On the rocker, trunk, frame rail????I just looked at a Daytona and could not find any id. The owner could not tell me if it was a McBurnie or a Rowley as he doesn't know either?

Where are these id plates found? On the rocker' date=' trunk, frame rail????I just looked at a Daytona and could not find any id. The owner could not tell me if it was a McBurnie or a Rowley as he doesn't know either?[/quote']jurassicnarc said they would be found on the door frame, if the car has one. Paperwork from the buyer if original owner is a good reference point.

My comment was in response to JN's earlier comment about the guy who did the door panels on Car4 and he was based in San Diego. His business is still there at the same address so if he worked on the door panels it would be good to see if he can help modify ours. This company installed my door panels' date=' top, seat upholstery, carpet, tonneau, dash and rails, sun visors, trunk lining, console and threshhold plates as I have the invoice from him to the original owner of my car. His name was Cicchetto.[/quote']I think Jurassic said that guy had stopped doing that kind of work and was now making violins, although probably only in the past 10 years hence why he had a website that showed the photos of the markadian cars custom door panels.probably up around the AOL era of the internet, but still if your cars got his name on it for the interior work it means he did work on the replicas past the first 4 cars then.

Where are these id plates found? On the rocker' date=' trunk, frame rail????I just looked at a Daytona and could not find any id. The owner could not tell me if it was a McBurnie or a Rowley as he doesn't know either?[/quote']it might only be a touch done on the ones made as turn key cars, but it should be somewhere on the cars interior or exterior that can be seen, after all if you take pride in your work why hide the plate that gives you credit after all.

I think Jurassic said that guy had stopped doing that kind of work and was now making violins' date=' although probably only in the past 10 years hence why he had a website that showed the photos of the markadian cars custom door panels.probably up around the AOL era of the internet' date=' but still if your cars got his name on it for the interior work it means he did work on the replicas past the first 4 cars then.[/quote'']Have a look at post 1102 in this thread where JN says "The panels on the Camera car were made by Marc Cicheitti and were unique as far as I can tell. They use the stock vette door handle but are wrapped in such a way that they seem difference than a Vette. In all the MV shots the door pull looks like it is missing."Maybe JN can clarify Cicchetto's involvement with Car4 for us.

Have a look at post 1102 in this thread where JN says "The panels on the Camera car were made by Marc Cicheitti and were unique as far as I can tell. They use the stock vette door handle but are wrapped in such a way that they seem difference than a Vette. In all the MV shots the door pull looks like it is missing."Maybe JN can clarify Cicchetto's involvement with Car4 for us.
yeah that's what I mean its the same guy who did the interior of the markadian cars, I'm just saying Jurassic has already said he's not doing that kind of work anymore.although I had thought he had only done the markadian cars and then did something else besides that, not continue to work on them past the pre vice era.

yeah that's what I mean its the same guy who did the interior of the markadian cars' date=' I'm just saying Jurassic has already said he's not doing that kind of work anymore.although I had thought he had only done the markadian cars and then did something else besides that' date=' not continue to work on them past the pre vice era.[/quote'']Ok but look at my other posts...I commented that the company that did the work on my car (and on the Car 4 door panels apparently) is still in business at the same address. And I forwarded that info to JN offline because the name of the business owner may not be the Marc guy any longer but one of his sons because they share the same last name. So may be worth a followup by him or myself.What I was hoping JN would explain is what is the relationship between Markidian and Auto Design Mfg Inc (Chiccetto). And Auto Design Mfg Inc did work on cars past pre-vice era because they did the work on my car in 88.

Ok but look at my other posts...I commented that the company that did the work on my car (and on the Car 4 door panels apparently) is still in business at the same address. And I forwarded that info to JN offline because the name of the business owner may not be the Marc guy any longer but one of his sons because they share the same last name. So may be worth a followup by him or myself.What I was hoping JN would explain is what is the relationship between Markidian and Auto Design Mfg Inc (Chiccetto). And Auto Design Mfg Inc did work on cars past pre-vice era because they did the work on my car in 88.
oh one of the kids I see, I thought it was just that one guy, didnt know he had family that worked in the same line as him.actually makes you wonder if maybe the kid saved anything or perhapse has any of the design info about car 4.

oh one of the kids I see' date=' I thought it was just that one guy' date=' didnt know he had family that worked in the same line as him.actually makes you wonder if maybe the kid saved anything or perhapse has any of the design info about car 4.[/quote'']When I talked to Cichetti he said the had gotten rid of the business. I didn't ask who to, and the way he described it I would not have thought of family. But that is not a name like Smith, so I would guess it is family. At the time I was trying to find a pattern or mold for the Car 4 dash. He said all the molds were destroyed. He said the did a good bit of work to replicate the Ferrari interior, including the Daytona seats and making the dash work with the Corvette electronics. McBurnie had the work done, but often would not pay or was late in paying. Cichetti then worked as an independant contractor (which may be why you have a seperate bill for the interior).Tom McBurnie told me that Cichetti had created a cutter which could produce a large quantity of daytona strips which he would then sew into the seat and door panels.Mardikian did pay up, but that was a 2 car deal. McBurnie approached him about the faux Ferrari interior, and he designed the various fiberglass panels that were included in all the kits. He felt McBurnie took advantage of his design by shipping the panels that Cichetti had designed for some other upholstery shop to cover at a profit.And it was ultimatly the use of faux Ferrari parts that got McBurnie in trouble. The Mardikian cars were enough like the Ferrari to be exotic, but it wasn't trying to be a clone. McBurnie and Roberts actually tried to make the cars as close as they could to the real Ferrari.I plan to call the shop that was Cichetti's just to see if they can replicate the dash, seats and door panels. THe rest of the trim is easy to do with some limited upholstery skill that I developed from reading do-it-yourself books.Car 1 was done by Solair of Santa Anna, and then later re-done by Richard Pricis of Huntington Beach

When I talked to Cichetti he said the had gotten rid of the business. I didn't ask who to' date=' and the way he described it I would not have thought of family. But that is not a name like Smith' date=' so I would guess it is family. At the time I was trying to find a pattern or mold for the Car 4 dash. He said all the molds were destroyed. He said the did a good bit of work to replicate the Ferrari interior, including the Daytona seats and making the dash work with the Corvette electronics. McBurnie had the work done, but often would not pay or was late in paying. Cichetti then worked as an independant contractor (which may be why you have a seperate bill for the interior).Tom McBurnie told me that Cichetti had created a cutter which could produce a large quantity of daytona strips which he would then sew into the seat and door panels.Mardikian did pay up, but that was a 2 car deal. McBurnie approached him about the faux Ferrari interior, and he designed the various fiberglass panels that were included in all the kits. He felt McBurnie took advantage of his design by shipping the panels that Cichetti had designed for some other upholstery shop to cover at a profit.And it was ultimatly the use of faux Ferrari parts that got McBurnie in trouble. The Mardikian cars were enough like the Ferrari to be exotic, but it wasn't trying to be a clone. McBurnie and Roberts actually tried to make the cars as close as they could to the real Ferrari.I plan to call the shop that was Cichetti's just to see if they can replicate the dash, seats and door panels. THe rest of the trim is easy to do with some limited upholstery skill that I developed from reading do-it-yourself books.Car 1 was done by Solair of Santa Anna, and then later re-done by Richard Pricis of Huntington Beach[/quote'']ah hence your interest in the door panels then, your shooting for basically the look the car had when he was done with it in back in the early 80's as it was something unique from the geniune article but still just as exotic.the one thing though is I would shoot for is some sort of different speaker, you see my main interest in the replicas interior is the fact that it looks like someone took one of my most favorite interiors and made it much more streamline and apeasingsomething pretty incredible given the look of it already as it looks like someone combined the miura interior with the 78 vette hence why I kind of like the daytona replica panels as they look pretty close to the miura ones, more so that the actual daytona regardless if it has the chrome on it or not like Car 4 has now with no blacking on them either.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5916&stc=1&d=1335937919http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5913&stc=1&d=1335936723http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5915&stc=1&d=1335937662almost like he pulled out the dash pad about an inch and then deformed it around the center console making it stick out about a quarter more along with the glove box door and then added a slight hump for the insturment binacle making it look like a combination of the two and bringing it up to about stock height.the one thing with the door panel of car 4 on the show is though I would shoot for maybe a more sort of angular like speaker maybe even with chrome on it like on the actual car or atleast have it be the same color as the dash panel like on this 308http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5914&stc=1&d=1335937249although by having the speaker circular it does look like it could match up with the ferrari vents on the dash and by having it black it does match the pocket when the lights not hitting it, although when it does the interior is the same color as the rest of the door as you can see at 0:05

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzDDTPz9XY

and have the token light be of a single color like plain old white or even put the token light inside of the pocket itself mounted pointed down as to iluminate the door rather than the interior when the door is opened.Eingefügtes Bildsimilar to the way it is with the door handle in car 1http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5894&stc=1&d=1335669962

post-592-13892964413895_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964414459_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296441484_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964415363_thumb.jpg

jurassic narc;252322When I talked to Cichetti he said the had gotten rid of the business. I didn't ask who to, and the way he described it I would not have thought of family. But that is not a name like Smith, so I would guess it is family. At the time I was trying to find a pattern or mold for the Car 4 dash. He said all the molds were destroyed. He said the did a good bit of work to replicate the Ferrari interior, including the Daytona seats and making the dash work with the Corvette electronics. McBurnie had the work done, but often would not pay or was late in paying. Cichetti then worked as an independant contractor (which may be why you have a seperate bill for the interior).

So Cicchetto (spelling on the business listing) of Auto Design Mfg Inc (ADMI) did all the leather and custom interior work on Car 4 for Markidian? Am not really clear on the relationship between Cicchetto and Markidian. Am getting a bit confused now on looks. The door shown in some screen caps with the open cutout in the door is what was orginally done on Car4 by ADMI?Can you show some photos of what Car4 doors look like now, as well as what look you are wanting to duplicate for your car please? Yes if MCB didn't pay then that would explain why ADMI would contract directly with the original owner of my car.

Tom McBurnie told me that Cichetti had created a cutter which could produce a large quantity of daytona strips which he would then sew into the seat and door panels.

Strips? Not really sure what you describing now unless you mean the black striping on the seats?

Mardikian did pay up, but that was a 2 car deal. McBurnie approached him about the faux Ferrari interior, and he designed the various fiberglass panels that were included in all the kits. He felt McBurnie took advantage of his design by shipping the panels that Cichetti had designed for some other upholstery shop to cover at a profit.

So you're saying ADMI also designed some fiberglass panels as well as doing all the dashwork and custom leather work on the doors and seats? What kind of fiberglass panels did he do?

And it was ultimatly the use of faux Ferrari parts that got McBurnie in trouble. The Mardikian cars were enough like the Ferrari to be exotic, but it wasn't trying to be a clone. McBurnie and Roberts actually tried to make the cars as close as they could to the real Ferrari.

As in customized dash to look like a Ferrari dash and the use of actual Ferrari lenses and emblems?

I plan to call the shop that was Cichetti's just to see if they can replicate the dash, seats and door panels. THe rest of the trim is easy to do with some limited upholstery skill that I developed from reading do-it-yourself books.

Will be interested to see how your conversation goes with whoever is running the ADMI shop today. I thought since the business was still an automotive name that perhaps a relative had carried on the business and I was excited to see an invoice from them on work done to my car. Almost wondering if they still do this kind of work what it would cost to ship my car to them for some revisions.

Car 1 was done by Solair of Santa Anna, and then later re-done by Richard Pricis of Huntington Beach

So Car1 was never touched then by Cicchetto or ADMI? Great information here JN. Am still trying to get my head around most of it and to learn who I can talk to in order to revise my interior to something much closer to Car4 in the show.