The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Ok the piping on the side...yes I do like that and when I redo the seats I will likely add that.Good that the leather can be restored as I have learned the price was quite high for Connolly and so would like to restore and perhaps changeout the underlayment or foam cushioning. I also have some stress wear on the driver's seat that I will need looked at. I am hoping I can save as much of the tan leather as possible and possibly have the color brightened. There is some corrosion on the seat framing as well as other hardware that will need to be addressed.

yeah thats what I ment with the stripingFYI it might also not be such a bad idea to make coppies of that dot paper with the materials on it just incase it further degradesand be damn careful with the alarms and the wiring' date=' Cooper and Burnett lost an alfa romeo 2000 to some guy who installed the radio half assed by I think putting in oversized fuses causing the thing to go ablase as the wiring insulations might have worn out ontop of that and wasnt rigged up for that power and it might not be such a bad idea to get the wiring checked out by a trusted electrician' date=' be it a normal one or an auto one just to be sure, licenced as well.granted its not an old italain car or something thrown together like the old crazy miura but still it is 23 years old and was abused and treated like a throw away toy by the former owner.[/quote'']Yeah the wiring that is under the decking behind the seats is a tangled mess of wire, battery connections, security alarm wiring, radio wiring, CD changer wiring, and what looks to be a switch box for the sound system. Will have a professional worl on the electrical for sure.

Good that it was Connolly leather' date=' although if it wasn't maintained by the previous owner the advantage may be gone. Connolly is a very supple leather produced in England. The carpet in Ferraris of that vintage was in fact velour' date=' so to have that is actually consitent with the real cars.[/quote'']Am getting it detailed this week from the shop that does Lexus work so will ask about leather restoration and recoloration. Would like to restore it since it appears to be vintage Connolly and agree it would be more consistent with the show cars.
Stayfast canvas is what you want for the top. It is more optional for the tonneau. But the Stayfast will hold out water and weather longer. One of the things to check is when the top is up do you have open areas. I had to do a lot of work to get the area between the top and the door/window area. Ended up replacing the moulding all around the door.
Thanks on that and I will need to get a recover done as there are a couple of small punctures and the seals need reworking.
The tonneau on the camera car is leather over foam backing. I hesitate to say that most are leather' date=' but I think that is the pre-dominate material.[/quote']Do you suppose the tonneau is also Connolly?
I ordered a new set of weatherstrip moulding from Ecklers and replaced it all around the top and the doors and got 99% of the leaks. The last little bit is just the difference between the 1975 Corvette top and frame and the McBurnie body.
Is yours a '75.... but thought you had a Rowley body?
Remember' date=' the McBurnie soft top can be used as a pattern by a good upholstery shop to replace the soft top. The mechanicals and the weatherstrip is 1975 Vette. The frame around the windshield usually depends on the year model of the donor car.[/quote']Probably need to have a good top shop look at this.
If I were you ' date=' I would keep my eye out for a seat of used 1978-1982 Corvette seats with the buckets (frames). When you get both seats, you can have someone cover the outside of the buckets, and refabricate the MV like seats on your timetable. I have been working on a pattern for the seats, but the piping down the sides is a fairly common request for an upholsterer.[/quote']That is a good thought but would have to make sure the die lot would color match the rest of the car interior that is either restored leather or replaced. What pattern are you working on?
I ordered a couple of yards of good carpet and covered my own trunk. Just purchase contact cement in a quart bucket. I used the foam paint brushes to lay it on. Use a sharpe razor knife to cut the carpet and fit it before you lay any contact cement. Cover the back of the carpet and the surface of the trunk and let it air dry. Then lay in the carpet (but have some help on hand, because once the contact cement makes contact--it is stuck!)
Thanks for this but I think I confused you all. My trunk is carpeted as it was installed by ADMI and is still in good shape. With the materials on hand you can cover the inside of the trunk in an hour or so.
I am with you on the alarm. I do have a kill switch that would prevent somone from just driving the car off' date=' but no alarm.[/quote']It appears to be just a motion sensor type alarm with a remote key FOB that has been disconnected so not sure if it still works. But when I redo the interior and add updated sound sytem components I will get one working. The kill switch is also a good idea.
When you get ready to do the interior' date=' I recommend you get with your interior guy and see what they recommend. Some many improvements have been made in the vinyl area that I was recommended to use it where the sun exposure was the most intense. Good interior people can match high end leather and vinyl together to save money and make the car more durable.For sure the dash top should be vinyl, and not expensive leather that will shrink and start to crack in a summer if your not careful.[/quote']Thnx. Good thoughts .

Do you suppose the tonneau is also Connolly?Is yours a '75.... but thought you had a Rowley body?Probably need to have a good top shop look at this. Thanks for this but I think I confused you all. My trunk is carpeted as it was installed by ADMI and is still in good shape. Thnx. Good thoughts .
Yes, the tonneau is leather matching the dash and seats.My car is an 82 with a Carl Roberts body (which for practical purposes is a McBurnie body with the fuel cell relocated). But there were no Corvette convertibles in C3 past 1975. So all soft top parts are for the 75 model.If you want to replicate a Ferrari, go with Rowley. But for the MV car the McBurnie and Roberts bodies look the same. Carl dropped the rear marker lights and put the fuel cell behind the drivers seat so that you have a full trunk and a place for a spare.RIght, I got confused on the trunk. But the trunk is by far the easiest to make look really good with a little bit of expensive carpet.JN

The tonneau on the camera car is leather over foam backing. I hesitate to say that most are leather' date=' but I think that is the pre-dominate material.I ordered a new set of weatherstrip moulding from Ecklers and replaced it all around the top and the doors and got 99% of the leaks. The last little bit is just the difference between the 1975 Corvette top and frame and the McBurnie body. Remember' date=' the McBurnie soft top can be used as a pattern by a good upholstery shop to replace the soft top. The mechanicals and the weatherstrip is 1975 Vette. The frame around the windshield usually depends on the year model of the donor car.[/quote'']If you have someone do your soft top, have them make a pattern for you to use. The frame is 75 Corvette, but the soft top pattern appears to have been lost over the years. The roof on my car was redone just before I bought it, and it was done with German Stayfast Canvas with the pattern cut from the old top.I do know that the top is not the same as a Vette top or a Ferrari top.JN

Sorry to get abit off or rather ontopic here but I may have an interesting development I was reorganizing my photos, namely of the windshield section and noticed something.....you remember the shifter we thought was custom that was on Car 4 during the shows run and was removed and replaced afterwards?http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6025&stc=1&d=1336907805the Mr Mikes Fiero Seat Replica has it on it:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6026&stc=1&d=1336907807http://mrmikes.com/corvettes.htmmeaning it might be a normal production item after all meaning if I ask around on the corvette forums I might be able to find a lead on who made it and when and on someone who might have a few for sale, or hell someone could try and find the owner of it through Mr Mike and ask him where he got it and if its for sale.

post-592-13892964471051_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964471151_thumb.jpg

Yes' date=' the tonneau is leather matching the dash and seats.My car is an 82 with a Carl Roberts body (which for practical purposes is a McBurnie body with the fuel cell relocated). But there were no Corvette convertibles in C3 past 1975. So all soft top parts are for the 75 model.If you want to replicate a Ferrari' date=' go with Rowley. But for the MV car the McBurnie and Roberts bodies look the same. Carl dropped the rear marker lights and put the fuel cell behind the drivers seat so that you have a full trunk and a place for a spare.RIght, I got confused on the trunk. But the trunk is by far the easiest to make look really good with a little bit of expensive carpet.JN[/quote'']well that and your car unlike the Mcburnie/vice car doesnt have any front splinter/spoilers in the front sans for right above the front tires down to the back of them and has full rear spoilers from the bottom of the sides up to right behind themas on the vice car its got it from the front all the way down to the back of the front tires while on the rear it starts midway up and all the way back, basically the reversefull on the front, trimmed above the chrome trim line in the back and all the way backand the front splinter/spoilers on the vice car might be for cooling or keeping the nose down at high speed or both and with the front blocking the airflow it might help keep the nose planted better and reduce the pressure around the rear wheels as to allow it to be better planted at high speed.

well that and your car unlike the Mcburnie/vice car doesnt have any front splinter/spoilers in the front sans for right above the front tires down to the back of them and has full rear spoilers from the bottom of the sides up to right behind themas on the vice car its got it from the front all the way down to the back of the front tires while on the rear it starts midway up and all the way back' date=' basically the reversefull on the front' date=' trimmed above the chrome trim line in the back and all the way backand the front splinter/spoilers on the vice car might be for cooling or keeping the nose down at high speed or both and with the front blocking the airflow it might help keep the nose planted better and reduce the pressure around the rear wheels as to allow it to be better planted at high speed.[/quote'']I don't see what you are talking about. The bodies are identical except for the location of the trunk release. Carl did narrow down the fender flares a very small amount. The trim pieces were different, but the actual body is a copy of the McBurnie front to rear.

Yes' date=' the tonneau is leather matching the dash and seats.My car is an 82 with a Carl Roberts body (which for practical purposes is a McBurnie body with the fuel cell relocated). But there were no Corvette convertibles in C3 past 1975. So all soft top parts are for the 75 model.If you want to replicate a Ferrari' date=' go with Rowley. But for the MV car the McBurnie and Roberts bodies look the same. Carl dropped the rear marker lights and put the fuel cell behind the drivers seat so that you have a full trunk and a place for a spare.RIght, I got confused on the trunk. But the trunk is by far the easiest to make look really good with a little bit of expensive carpet.JN[/quote'']Thanks on the tonneau. I couldn't recall what your car was but believe the Roberts car is a copy of the McBurnie molds (according to the MCB lit) althought I don't know how Carl could have copied the molds. Roberts and Rowley no longer make the Daytona kits I am assuming, due to the lawsuits?Thanks on the C3 top info. Need to probably replace my conv top hardware as it is dirty and a bit rusty (the main supports) as well, especially when I do replace the Stayfast top. I took the Daytona to the detailer late yesteday to let him see it and he confirmed the top is likely a custom job. He did look the car over carefully and said that he could definitely get the carpets much cleaner and brighter but didn't think he could do a lot with the leather. In places where I thought the leather was dirty (seats, threshshold plate, and top of door frame) he in fact told me the leather had worn and the dye had worn off from contact and wear. Basically he didn't think much could be done with the leather except some cleaning and mink oil conditioning but he thought replacement would evbentually be needed. I'm disappointed as I thought leather could be redyed but he thought that redying is only a temporary fix as the repaired dye will wear off. He determined the paint had never seen car wash brushes or even had a buffer used on it so he will hand wax all but the trunk where there are enough scratches that he will buff them. And the wire wheels need to be cleaned with a power washer and no brush.

If you have someone do your soft top' date=' have them make a pattern for you to use. The frame is 75 Corvette' date=' but the soft top pattern appears to have been lost over the years. The roof on my car was redone just before I bought it, and it was done with German Stayfast Canvas with the pattern cut from the old top.I do know that the top is not the same as a Vette top or a Ferrari top.JN[/quote'']OK, good advice on getting a pattern. I did learn there is a good (but expensive) interior guy around town and he also does tops so I can check into that. The detailer does believe the top was custom made. He is reluctant to try and clean it. Any suggestions about top cleaning I can give him?

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6025&stc=1&d=1336907805the Mr Mikes Fiero Seat Replica has it on it:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6026&stc=1&d=1336907807http://mrmikes.com/corvettes.htmmeaning it might be a normal production item after all meaning if I ask around on the corvette forums I might be able to find a lead on who made it and when and on someone who might have a few for sale, or hell someone could try and find the owner of it through Mr Mike and ask him where he got it and if its for sale.

Does look like it. Wouldn't mind getting one as well as the rounded know does tend to make it more Vette-like than Ferrari-like.

Thanks on the tonneau. I couldn' recall what your car was but believe the Roberts car is a copy of the McBurnie molds (according to the MCB lit) althought I don't know how Carl could have copied the molds. Roberts and Rowley no longer make the Daytona kits I am assuming' date=' due to the lawsuits?.[/quote']Rowley is still in business. He dodged the lawsuits, and was the last standing company. However, I think the market is dry and he is a very hard man to deal with.Roberts, McBurnie, California Coachcraft, and two other companies were the losers in the lawsuits. They could finish any car bodies they have on hand, but that is the end of it for them. About 2 years after the lawsuit, McBurnie's shop burned to the ground with all his records. I don't think he was able to save any Daytona bodies or parts.McBurnie had Carl working in his shop for several months, to learn about the construction of the cars. Then Carl went home and was to be a distributor for McBurnie. Apparently, instead he took the body he had, made some slight modifications to the major molds, and called it his own. He did make some significant changes to the internals, but the external of the body is the same.

well that and your car unlike the Mcburnie/vice car doesnt have any front splinter/spoilers in the front sans for right above the front tires down to the back of them and has full rear spoilers from the bottom of the sides up to right behind themas on the vice car its got it from the front all the way down to the back of the front tires while on the rear it starts midway up and all the way back' date=' basically the reversefull on the front' date=' trimmed above the chrome trim line in the back and all the way backand the front splinter/spoilers on the vice car might be for cooling or keeping the nose down at high speed or both and with the front blocking the airflow it might help keep the nose planted better and reduce the pressure around the rear wheels as to allow it to be better planted at high speed.[/quote'']Can you clarify your comments as I'm not getting them. Splinter/spoilers? Are you referring to the spoiler rim running under my car body? Can you clarify where you read that the Roberts cars differ much from MCB and how?

I don't see what you are talking about. The bodies are identical except for the location of the trunk release. Carl did narrow down the fender flares a very small amount. The trim pieces were different' date=' but the actual body is a copy of the McBurnie front to rear.[/quote']well looking at the older photo of your car when it had round headlights it looks like theres no spoilers under the nose of the car or its very little as there is sort of a line but Its kind hard to pick up on and it starts right about where the wheels start and ducks down behind the front wheels on your carEingefügtes Bildlike its very narow at the front and then goes to about the same size as the vice car from behind:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6044&stc=1&d=1337142192and it kind of gives it the look of that rowley with no front splinter and just the flares over the wheels from the frontEingefügtes Bildand it looks like the rear spoilers over the rear wheels of the car starts right at the bottom all the way back to behind the wheel at about the same thickness as the vice car where as on the vice car its trimmed back there to start at the bottom of the door and then go uphttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6045&stc=1&d=1337142195
Thanks on the tonneau. I couldn't recall what your car was but believe the Roberts car is a copy of the McBurnie molds (according to the MCB lit) althought I don't know how Carl could have copied the molds. Roberts and Rowley no longer make the Daytona kits I am assuming' date=' due to the lawsuits?Thanks on the C3 top info. Need to probably replace my conv top hardware as it is dirty and a bit rusty (the main supports) as well' date=' especially when I do replace the Stayfast top. I took the Daytona to the detailer late yesteday to let him see it and he confirmed the top is likely a custom job. He did look the car over carefully and said that he could definitely get the carpets much cleaner and brighter but didn't think he could do a lot with the leather. In places where I thought the leather was dirty (seats, threshshold plate, and top of door frame) he in fact told me the leather had worn and the dye had worn off from contact and wear. Basically he didn't think much could be done with the leather except some cleaning and mink oil conditioning but he thought replacement would evbentually be needed. I'm disappointed as I thought leather could be redyed but he thought that redying is only a temporary fix as the repaired dye will wear off. He determined the paint had never seen car wash brushes or even had a buffer used on it so he will hand wax all but the trunk where there are enough scratches that he will buff them. And the wire wheels need to be cleaned with a power washer and no brush.[/quote'']well atleast the body was well tended and you could provided the damage isnt to destracting leave the worn connoly leather on it save for the seats as it does give it character
Rowley is still in business. He dodged the lawsuits' date=' and was the last standing company. However' date=' I think the market is dry and he is a very hard man to deal with.Roberts, McBurnie, California Coachcraft, and two other companies were the losers in the lawsuits. They could finish any car bodies they have on hand, but that is the end of it for them. About 2 years after the lawsuit, McBurnie's shop burned to the ground with all his records. I don't think he was able to save any Daytona bodies or parts.McBurnie had Carl working in his shop for several months, to learn about the construction of the cars. Then Carl went home and was to be a distributor for McBurnie. Apparently, instead he took the body he had, made some slight modifications to the major molds, and called it his own. He did make some significant changes to the internals, but the external of the body is the same.[/quote'']ah hence why they had nothing good to say about each other.also on a different note I think the line on the door panel is the key way to tell what car is being used in season 2 as car 1 has a distinct fold line of some sort that shows up from a distance at 1:00 while car 4's door panel is completely smooth on the upper half.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pdhTiyj-M&feature=plcp

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzDDTPz9XY

and actually thats the reason why I liked Car 4's current door panels from rowley over the show ones it had, they seem more detailed and thus seem nicer looking to me while the original ones seemed too smooth and kind of dull to me. Although I do like car 1's door panel there with the handle for the door in the area infront of the grab handle plus the extra detail it has or had so to speak.so if I was going to replicate one of the ones on the show in my opinion it would be car 1's door panel with maybe a more modern door handle with power door locks built into it in maybe the same position they were in car 4, probably could retrofit something from the C4 vette on it like the steering box that rowley added onto his latter.

post-592-13892964476528_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964476836_thumb.jpg

well looking at the older photo of your car when it had round headlights it looks like theres no spoilers under the nose of the car or its very little as there is sort of a line but Its kind hard to pick up on and it starts right about where the wheels start and ducks down behind the front wheels on your carEingefügtes Bildlike its very narow at the front and then goes to about the same size as the vice car from behind:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6044&stc=1&d=1337142192and it kind of gives it the look of that rowley with no front splinter and just the flares over the wheels from the front.
Still not sure what the reference is. The flare is slightly toned down, but the lines are the same.

post-109-13892964480263_thumb.jpg

Still not sure what the reference is. The flare is slightly toned down' date=' but the lines are the same.[/quote']Sorry my mistake then' date=' at that angle with the old photo it was hardly visibile. Although it does look like the very bottom of the rear flares has a sharper cut to it. actually it might seem that way to me because of the way I think the tail pipes were set up in the show and centered to act as a way to mount the rear camera on the sides of the rear tires and above the trunkhence the extra light there coming in behind the rear wheels making it look thinner plus I noticed in the side shot there from the bought and paid for chase at 0:30 that it looked that way too at

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU964Wtmkkc

like there was an odd amount of light sticking out behind the rear tires at those two angles, like they cleared that area to mount something and I'm starting to think that car 4 was used for close up hood shots and rear shots upto mid S2 before they knew they were getting the TR's while car 1 may have been used for interior side shots atleast in the Florence Italy and Sons and Lovers case

Rowley is still in business. He dodged the lawsuits' date=' and was the last standing company. However' date=' I think the market is dry and he is a very hard man to deal with..[/quote'']Tell me about it...!I emailed him a few times with no response and finally after a final request he emailed me back with three words..."We have none"In this time and economy he could have been a bit more social and at least pointed me in the right direction or gave me an explanation as to why he has such a busy website that looks very impressive making claims, then not following through with customer service?He should just take the website down if he no longer has any parts or deals with these vehicles.Amazing.....................................

hence the extra light there coming in behind the rear wheels making it look thinner plus I noticed in the side shot there from the bought and paid for chase at 0:30 that it looked that way too at

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU964Wtmkkc

like there was an odd amount of light sticking out behind the rear tires at those two angles' date=' like they cleared that area to mount something and I'm starting to think that car 4 was used for close up hood shots and rear shots upto mid S2 before they knew they were getting the TR's while car 1 may have been used for interior side shots atleast in the Florence Italy and Sons and Lovers case[/quote']No, there is just no wheel well inner in the rear. It is one of the things that make the car look odd when examined up close. It is not noticable from every angle, but in the attached comparison shot you can see the gap in my car. Not sure if the original Vettes had no inner, or if the body conversion resulted in the open area.Not sure why Car 1 was used for so many shots in YANKEE DOLLAR or FLORENCE ITALY, but the decision to go with a real Ferrari was not made until after shooting stopped for the end of Season Two. More likely Car 1 happened to have mechanical issues at the time of filming the shots. When watching the Season 1 episodes it is easier to see that the cars were interchanged frequently, even in the same scene which appeared to be shot on the same day. (For example, watch the scene on the beach front at the end of NOBODY LIVES FOREVER, and you will note that Car 4 is sporting a tonneau and Car 1 is not. As the scene progresses the cars are both used.) The bright trim around the windshield of Car 1 and the black trim around the windshield of Car 4 makes it easy to tell. Another good example is the shot of C&T driving into the glades in GLADES.

post-109-13892964484566_thumb.jpg

No' date=' there is just no wheel well inner in the rear. It is one of the things that make the car look odd when examined up close. It is not noticable from every angle' date=' but in the attached comparison shot you can see the gap in my car. Not sure if the original Vettes had no inner, or if the body conversion resulted in the open area.[/quote'']Interesting JN and I had to look to verify but I have a full inner wheel well in the front but my back wheel well begins where it should forward but stops right in alignment with the side molding (depression). So I have a 3/4 inner wheel well in the rear. I never noticed it before because I still have the huge P255 tires on the rear and they mostly fill the well. Perhaps yours is more noticeable than Car 4 because you have P225s and the show car had P235s?Not sure why Car 1 was used for so many shots in YANKEE DOLLAR or FLORENCE ITALY, but the decision to go with a real Ferrari was not made until after shooting stopped for the end of Season Two. More likely Car 1 happened to have mechanical issues at the time of filming the shots.
When watching the Season 1 episodes it is easier to see that the cars were interchanged frequently, even in the same scene which appeared to be shot on the same day. (For example, watch the scene on the beach front at the end of NOBODY LIVES FOREVER, and you will note that Car 4 is sporting a tonneau and Car 1 is not. As the scene progresses the cars are both used.) The bright trim around the windshield of Car 1 and the black trim around the windshield of Car 4 makes it easy to tell. Another good example is the shot of C&T driving into the glades in GLADES.
Also interesting observation...will need to watch for this next time I have that ep on. My trim is also black around the windshield frame (outer). I do want to get the matching tan tonneau for my car as it seems much more classy than the black version I have.

Tell me about it...!I emailed him a few times with no response and finally after a final request he emailed me back with three words..."We have none"In this time and economy he could have been a bit more social and at least pointed me in the right direction or gave me an explanation as to why he has such a busy website that looks very impressive making claims' date=' then not following through with customer service?He should just take the website down if he no longer has any parts or deals with these vehicles.Amazing.....................................[/quote']I kinda figured it was dead as the website hasnt been updated in about 8 years' date=' still though I should go there one of these days but I just kinda had that feeling it was dead and wouldnt be worth the effort.
No' date=' there is just no wheel well inner in the rear. It is one of the things that make the car look odd when examined up close. It is not noticable from every angle' date=' but in the attached comparison shot you can see the gap in my car. Not sure if the original Vettes had no inner, or if the body conversion resulted in the open area.Not sure why Car 1 was used for so many shots in YANKEE DOLLAR or FLORENCE ITALY, but the decision to go with a real Ferrari was not made until after shooting stopped for the end of Season Two. More likely Car 1 happened to have mechanical issues at the time of filming the shots. When watching the Season 1 episodes it is easier to see that the cars were interchanged frequently, even in the same scene which appeared to be shot on the same day. (For example, watch the scene on the beach front at the end of NOBODY LIVES FOREVER, and you will note that Car 4 is sporting a tonneau and Car 1 is not. As the scene progresses the cars are both used.) The bright trim around the windshield of Car 1 and the black trim around the windshield of Car 4 makes it easy to tell. Another good example is the shot of C&T driving into the glades in GLADES.[/quote'']ah so thats what my eye was picking up on, but I would imagine the choice of what car to use for what shot was probably left up to the director so maybe the director just liked the car 1 doors better?and I hadnt actually picked up on the tonau thing actually with nobody lives forever
i loved the Testarossa from Seasons 3-5 :thumbsup::D
You get the red tape, I get the BLACK carSorry but I'n my opinion if it aint black or something close to that it aint the Crockettmobile, plain and simple, white was just very uncool and dull looking on that baby, making it look like a giant white hairdryer or vacume cleaner when the light looked wrong against its body or when directly above it it looked like giant undetailed wedge riding aroundstill kills me that it was in a color that was even cooler than Midnight black and they repainted it milk white, god the wasted potental of how cool that car could of looked in the daytime still kills me to this day:of all the colors they could have chosen that could have accomplished the same thing the black did while illuminating the body better they had to go with the one that was devoid of all colors and reflected, not absorbed them making it stick out rather than blend into is scenery.hell its color and the fact that it was a brand new car is probably what brough such ridcule to the series in S4 too, I mean people can buy that a cop maybe driving around in a seized older car but a state of the art ferrari with zero miles its abit much to swallow although apparently theres a real life, real drama show starting up on one of the cable networks that takes place in the south where the police chief is driving a siezed maserati from a dope dealer so I guess maybe it aint that far fetched after all.but seriously a black TR mixed in with the blue wellcraft and Crocketts wardrobe from S3 would have made that season damn near perfect photography wise, save for the speeding up of the chase scenes like in stones war (should of had him shift into 3rd and instantly loose the gman on the outwhere the busses dont run road.) and stuff like that.

post-592-13892964485906_thumb.jpg

[

QUOTE=Kavinsky;253324]
well looking at the older photo of your car when it had round headlights it looks like theres no spoilers under the nose of the car or its very little as there is sort of a line but Its kind hard to pick up on and it starts right about where the wheels start and ducks down behind the front wheels on your carEingefügtes Bildlike its very narow at the front and then goes to about the same size as the vice car from behind:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6044&stc=1&d=1337142192
Interesting shots comparing the Roberts car to the MCB. I can definitely see narrower front and rear fender flares on the Roberts car body and especially the forward flare under the nose which is distinctly wider on the MCB in your shots of Car4. The flare that crosses underneath the nose seems similar between the 2 bodies as the MCB is not that wide where it passes underneath the nose of the car.
and it kind of gives it the look of that rowley with no front splinter and just the flares over the wheels from the frontEingefügtes Bild
What do you mean by "Splinter"?
and it looks like the rear spoilers over the rear wheels of the car starts right at the bottom all the way back to behind the wheel at about the same thickness as the vice car where as on the vice car its trimmed back there to start at the bottom of the door and then go uphttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6045&stc=1&d=1337142195
Not getting the Spoiler reference either as I don't see one.
well atleast the body was well tended and you could provided the damage isnt to destracting leave the worn connoly leather on it save for the seats as it does give it character
I will need to replace the seats (or recover them) at some point as the leather is worn in some places on the driver's seat especially and there is color fading from sun and likely not much care or conditioning.
ah hence why they had nothing good to say about each other.
also on a different note I think the line on the door panel is the key way to tell what car is being used in season 2 as car 1 has a distinct fold line of some sort that shows up from a distance at 1:00 while car 4's door panel is completely smooth on the upper half.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pdhTiyj-M&feature=plcp

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzDDTPz9XY

Can you clarify what you mean by "line on the door panel"?
and actually thats the reason why I liked Car 4's current door panels from rowley over the show ones it had' date=' they seem more detailed and thus seem nicer looking to me while the original ones seemed too smooth and kind of dull to me. Although I do like car 1's door panel there with the handle for the door in the area infront of the grab handle plus the extra detail it has or had so to speak.so if I was going to replicate one of the ones on the show in my opinion it would be car 1's door panel with maybe a more modern door handle with power door locks built into it in maybe the same position they were in car 4' date=' probably could retrofit something from the C4 vette on it like the steering box that rowley added onto his latter.[/quote'']Do you have a closeup of Car 1 Door panels?

[
QUOTE=Kavinsky;253324]Interesting shots comparing the Roberts car to the MCB. I can definitely see narrower front and rear fender flares on the Roberts car body and especially the forward flare under the nose which is distinctly wider on the MCB in your shots of Car4. The flare that crosses underneath the nose seems similar between the 2 bodies as the MCB is not that wide where it passes underneath the nose of the car. What do you mean by "Splinter"?Not getting the Spoiler reference either as I don't see one.
I will need to replace the seats (or recover them) at some point as the leather is worn in some places on the driver's seat especially and there is color fading from sun and likely not much care or conditioning.
ah hence why they had nothing good to say about each other.Can you clarify what you mean by "line on the door panel"? Do you have a closeup of Car 1 Door panels?
splinter as in a racing front spoiler thats tucked under the nose and sometimes protrudes infront of the bumper that is designed to push the nose down at high speed' date=' I think' date=' not a 100% surecan kind of see it protruding on this BMV from the front[img'']http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/BMW_M3_GT2_ILMC_Zhuhai_2010.jpg or in the vettes case I think they put that on the big blocks under the nose order to direct more air to it for better cooling but I would imagine it could have the same effect although I had read that some of the guys who race the C3 vettes and who have the engines tuned up for high speed driving instead of economy and highway driving have had to put that kind of BMV splinter on the front to keep the nose down over a 120 as they were pushing them to a 160, the same top end as the stock ferrari 308 with a 350 CI motor (the majority of the C3's were made in the gas crysis personal luxury car era after all, not the 1960's lets go racing and to hell with the cost of gas era hence why the top end of a 133 mph may seem a little low and why they need to be tuned to get to there full potental.) and with the rear spoilers it seems like the front of the rear spoilers seem more streamline vs the back of the front ones and it sort of looks like they start midway up the back end and fully over:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6069&stc=1&d=1337492416while the back of the front spoilers seems overly thick to me and doesnt seem to thin down towards the belt like of the car

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdj5_Qyaj8

although that may just be the angle and the light catching on it while it just doesnt really catch on the back as well this white one has full flares on the front and the rear.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6068&stc=1&d=1337492414with the door panel there is quite literally a thick horizontal line on the door of car 1 that looks like a leather fold of some sort like on the dash of car 4 where the tan leather is wrapped over the top of it and tucked under the top half of the two piece dash padwhile on car 4 theres no line there on the door panel, just a half oval shaped like lining under the leather of the door ontophttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6070&stc=1&d=1337492713with car 1's door panel I took a shot of it from whatever works which is while a little hard to pick up on as they dont really give a total closeup it still offers a good look at the door panel which has that fold line on the top of the door, plus the door handle is in the arm rest pocket of the door and it looks like there was no grab handle to begin with on the prototype, car 1 here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6067&stc=1&d=1337492402see the line where don is hanging over? car 4 doesnt have that at all and it shows up at a distance on car 1 in that clip from the home invaders at the end where Don's stunt double is driving (his face and nose has a different shape from dons in Silloquete)
at 1:01, plus the nose of car 1 distinctly seems higher off the ground here than car 4 in profile and looks like the body leaning to the right side, probably where it had the frame damage that gave markadian and mcburnie trouble when rebodying it as it was two inches longer on one side than the other from a serious accident, plus the nose is shorter on a 76 vette than on the 81's so they probably had less framework to work with to begin withalso note the chrome door handle just under the steering column at this angle in that photo from whatever works when he finds the cats in it, the door handle of car 4 is lined up with the middle of the steering wheel while on car 1 its underplus you can also tell its car 1 by the wood shifter knob and the all black steering column. as car 4 has tan and had that sunk gloss black shifter knob

post-592-13892964490429_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964490754_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964491239_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964491613_thumb.jpg

splinter as in a racing front spoiler thats tucked under the nose and sometimes protrudes infront of the bumper that is designed to push the nose down at high speed' date=' I think, not a 100% surecan kind of see it protruding on this BMV from the front[img']http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/BMW_M3_GT2_ILMC_Zhuhai_2010.jpgor in the vettes case I think they put that on the big blocks under the nose order to direct more air to it for better cooling but I would imagine it could have the same effect although I had read that some of the guys who race the C3 vettes and who have the engines tuned up for high speed driving instead of economy and highway driving have had to put that kind of BMV splinter on the front to keep the nose down over a 120 as they were pushing them to a 160, the same top end as the stock ferrari 308 with a 350 CI motor

Not an expert on this, but I think the horizontal surface you're referring to is called a "splitter" because it splits the airflow cleanly between the air that goes above and into the various cooling ducts, and that which goes below creating any possible ground effect depending on the vehicle's underside shape. I don't believe it provides much downforce as it is horizontal rather than angled like a rear spoiler. More of a channeling device, like the turning vanes on F1 cars, though they are vertical. Surprisingly, the vents in the BMW's hood (barely visible) not only exhaust radiator cooling air, but also provide significant front downforce as they channel air from just above the splitter and force it upward. If this flow were laminar rather than turbulent after passing through the radiator the effect would be greatly multiplied.Interesting thread to browse, by the way.