Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

On 7/10/2023 at 3:41 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Thanks! :thumbsup: Not sure “watchable” warrants me taking the time & money to acquire it, but I’ll see. ;)

I like it a lot too. Yes DJ is great in this. Rest of the cast is also on top IMO. Definitely worth a watch for DJ or Jennifer Connelly fans. Sometimes the storytelling might feel little bit slow but it sets almost the middle of nowhere so I guess they just wanted to imitate that feeling with the slow burning storytelling. I like it a lot. At least every 3-5years I give it a watch.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am a fan of 1950s and 1960s Sy-Fi/Horror films.  Today I watched The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.  A film that has a dinosaur that is discovered in the Artic and makes it way to New York city.  Special effects wizard Ray Harryhausen brought the beast to life using stop motion animation.  Just a fun movie for a lazy afternoon. 

• Like 1

pirates of the coast. nice pirates movie. good shooting, good actors, and good plot

Pirates_of_the_Coast.jpg.74b24f2b2643200d3c8352406e3cab98.jpg

one of the greatest pirates movies i've seen so far

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

pirates of the coast. nice pirates movie. good shooting, good actors, and good plot

Pirates_of_the_Coast.jpg.74b24f2b2643200d3c8352406e3cab98.jpg

one of the greatest pirates movies i've seen so far

I enjoy classic pirate films.  You got me intrigued.  Have to find it and watch. 

• Haha 1

I've recently started reading "Heat 2", the novel by Michael Mann (with Meg Gardiner) and one of the plot points that has stuck out so far is, a young Vincent Hanna (living in Chicago) is chasing down a home invasion crew that uses a valet parking attendant at a hair salon to target their victims, very much like in season one's "The Home Invaders".

image.png.33f13408188b0f3de253c0a55e5ded93.png

• Like 8

9 hours ago, OCBman said:

I've recently started reading "Heat 2", the novel by Michael Mann (with Meg Gardiner) and one of the plot points that has stuck out so far is, a young Vincent Hanna (living in Chicago) is chasing down a home invasion crew that uses a valet parking attendant at a hair salon to target their victims, very much like in season one's "The Home Invaders".

image.png.33f13408188b0f3de253c0a55e5ded93.png

The episode "Home Invaders" is very much attached to Michael Mann, the scene where Marty throws an object through the window happened in "Heat" as well. His film Thief was adapted by a book titled "The Home Invaders"

I hope it becomes a film.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The episode "Home Invaders" is very much attached to Michael Mann, the scene where Marty throws an object through the window happened in "Heat" as well. His film Thief was adapted by a book titled "The Home Invaders"

I hope it becomes a film.

When Mann was writing for Starsky & Hutch, one of the season one episodes he wrote was titled, "Lady Blue", where a home invasion crew was suspected of killing an undercover police officer. I made a trailer for the episode 47 years later:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OCBman said:

When Mann was writing for Starsky & Hutch, one of the season one episodes he wrote was titled, "Lady Blue", where a home invasion crew was suspected of killing an undercover police officer. I made a trailer for the episode 47 years later:

I haven’t watched Starsky & Hutch in years...I’ll have to get those DVDs out sometime! I didn’t remember Mann writing that episode, and the plot is definitely very similar to the MV episode “Home Invaders”. Now it sounds as if his novel sequel to Heat has a similar plot. He obviously likes it. ;) Cool! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, OCBman said:

Great job!

• Thanks 1

I watched Out of Bounds with Anthony Michael Hall last night, it was terrible but watchable because of the soundtrack. Smiths, Siouxsie, Lords of New Church, The Cult, Blinda Carlisle... and Stewart Copeland doing the score.

In the trivia it said he turned down Ferris Bueller's Day Off to appear in this action / thriller. I'm guess hoping to kick start more adult roles and not be typecast. It's similar to After Hours but nowhere near as good.

• Like 3

I might be unique on this site in that I've only just seen the The Godfather trilogy (I know, I know, must've been hiding under a rock or something)......it's three of those films that I watched out of curiosity because they were recently on TV and I was really impressed (did have to watch them twice to get more of the nuances) though I see from reviews not everyone thinks the same. So what's the verdict on here? I've seen the original novel slated as mediocre, badly written, pulp fiction etc (I haven't read it) so maybe the films were great films originating out of a crap novel (rather like (in my opinion) the Harry Potter series.) If this has been a subject already, let me know! But I'd be really interested in hearing views. One long succession of mindless violence? Not even as good as the novel? Dragged on too long? Third part inferior as not based on the book? Or one man's life as a tragedy? I've seen comments that said Michael Corleone was already subject to "grey anger" in the book and someone even described him as psychopathic. He certainly takes some draconian actions. But looked at in its entirety, his adult life starts off as separate from the Family as far as he can make it, even signing up with the Marines in WW2  though not needing to. He tells his girlfriend "such and such is his family- it isn't him" and I believe that. Events on his discharge, and henceforth, nonetheless conspire to drag him back to it and keep him there. the assassination attempt on his father, and the further attempt to kill him in the hospital, Sonny's murder, Fredo's weakness of personality...it becomes hard to see at what point he could say "Enough! I'm leaving!" Even in part 3 when he tries to make their business "legitimate", he says himself, as fast as he tries to leave it, he gets dragged back in. To me ,it's a majestic film, a panorama of social change, but in the end it's unutterably sad.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 3:02 AM, Vicefan7777 said:

After hearing about the passing of Olivia Newton John today, my wife and I re watched the classic high school musical GREASE (1978).  This is a terrific film that I saw in the theater when it first came out. Olivia had such an angelic voice and many hit songs.  To quote John Travolta, "Every guy wanted her to be their girlfriend". Even I had a crush on Olivia.  RIP lovely lady.

I love this film and can watch it  anytime! Yes, RIP Olivia, very sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

I might be unique on this site in that I've only just seen the The Godfather trilogy (I know, I know, must've been hiding under a rock or something)......it's three of those films that I watched out of curiosity because they were recently on TV and I was really impressed (did have to watch them twice to get more of the nuances) though I see from reviews not everyone thinks the same. So what's the verdict on here? I've seen the original novel slated as mediocre, badly written, pulp fiction etc (I haven't read it) so maybe the films were great films originating out of a crap novel (rather like (in my opinion) the Harry Potter series.) If this has been a subject already, let me know! But I'd be really interested in hearing views. One long succession of mindless violence? Not even as good as the novel? Dragged on too long? Third part inferior as not based on the book? Or one man's life as a tragedy? I've seen comments that said Michael Corleone was already subject to "grey anger" in the book and someone even described him as psychopathic. He certainly takes some draconian actions. But looked at in its entirety, his adult life starts off as separate from the Family as far as he can make it, even signing up with the Marines in WW2  though not needing to. He tells his girlfriend "such and such is his family- it isn't him" and I believe that. Events on his discharge, and henceforth, nonetheless conspire to drag him back to it and keep him there. the assassination attempt on his father, and the further attempt to kill him in the hospital, Sonny's murder, Fredo's weakness of personality...it becomes hard to see at what point he could say "Enough! I'm leaving!" Even in part 3 when he tries to make their business "legitimate", he says himself, as fast as he tries to leave it, he gets dragged back in. To me ,it's a majestic film, a panorama of social change, but in the end it's unutterably sad.

Not ever read the books...but, the “Godfather” movies are superb!  :clap: Amazing, realistic view into the...yes violent, but also intimate, complex, and tragic workings of a mob family—stemming multiple decades.

It’s a rare trilogy, in the fact that Part II is widely considered better than the original film by the majority of fans...but both are awesome & you need the original movie in order to fully understand Part II, which is both a sequel & a prequel in one! 

These are not movies you only partially pay attention to, while on your cellphone. :p They are very long...but very captivating, fascinating, shocking, intricate, complex, deep, and “dark” all at the same time! Focus and care is needed to understand & appreciate them.

Although the character was only in about 2 episodes of MV, Frank Mosca was very much like a more modern version/combination of Al Capone & one of the Corleone family. ;) I love and have the “Godfather” films...every few years I make a big pot of pasta & sauce, get a good bottle of ‘vino’, get out my Blu-rays, and over the course of a weekend—watch! :glossy:

But, all of this is my opinion...however, I would think most fans would agree. :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Not ever read the books...but, the “Godfather” movies are superb!  :clap: Amazing, realistic view into the...yes violent, but also intimate, complex, and tragic workings of a mob family—stemming multiple decades.

It’s a rare trilogy, in the fact that Part II is widely considered better than the original film by the majority of fans...but both are awesome & you need the original movie in order to fully understand Part II, which is both a sequel & a prequel in one! 

These are not movies you only partially pay attention to, while on your cellphone. :p They are very long...but very captivating, fascinating, shocking, intricate, complex, deep, and “dark” all at the same time! Focus and care is needed to understand & appreciate them.

Although the character was only in about 2 episodes of MV, Frank Mosca was very much like a more modern version/combination of Al Capone & one of the Corleone family. ;) I love and have the “Godfather” films...every few years I make a big pot of pasta & sauce, get a good bottle of ‘vino’, get out my Blu-rays, and over the course of a weekend—watch! :glossy:

But, all of this is my opinion...however, I would think most fans would agree. :thumbsup:

Superb review of these three films, VFM! You have a true appreciation of their excellence. I actually watched Part 2 first, then caught up later in the week with the rest, as I was so impressed  (one of these films you sit up to the early hours watching  on TV.) THEN I decided to watch the whole lot in the proper order on a catch up channel and I started to understand the whole story more clearly and appreciate the production!! I wasn't a big Brando fan but I did like him (mumbles and all) as the later embodiment of Vito (and I liked the way he was petting a cat on his knee in the first  scene :) ) Beautiful, intricate films , so well filmed (I believe they took over a whole New York street for 6 weeks in order to turn it into turn of the century Little Italy!). People say oh too much time spent on Michael's stay in Italy when he flees there after the original killings, but this serves a purpose, in that it allows him to meet and marry (and lose) a girl he really loves. He's never the same man after this. It's as if he's a man who can't escape his destiny. Tragedy is defined as the destruction of an otherwise great person because of a fatal flaw in their character (eg Macbeth and his ambition). Michael's must have been his sense of duty to his family. Anyway....I needn't go on. You appreciate these films at least as much as I do! I love your description of rewatching them with a bowl of pasta and a good bottle of wine. If anyone on here hasn't seen this trilogy, I'd urge them to do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Lost Boys 1987.

Watched this for the first time and I was slightly disappointed that it had a comedy element to it as I was expecting it to be a zany, sinister film.

There is a huge flaw in it as well, which I can't get my head around, Kiefer Sutherlands character reacts badly to the sunlight as he is almost forced out of his cave but two other vampires are not effected at all by the sunlight as they escape the cave to reach their car ?(

Deeply flawed but still entertaining - 7/10

Side note- I noticed Tina Turners sax player Tim Cappello, who starred in "Theresa"

Untitled.thumb.png.cd0748eb0815f78782d938ce99731a5f.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The Lost Boys 1987.

Watched this for the first time and I was slightly disappointed that it had a comedy element to it as I was expecting it to be a zany, sinister film.

There is a huge flaw in it as well, which I can't get my head around, Kiefer Sutherlands character reacts badly to the sunlight as he is almost forced out of his cave but two other vampires are not effected at all by the sunlight as they escape the cave to reach their car ?(

Deeply flawed but still entertaining - 7/10

Side note- I noticed Tina Turners sax player Tim Cappello, who starred in "Theresa"

Untitled.thumb.png.cd0748eb0815f78782d938ce99731a5f.png

I’ve seen it, but it’s been not only years, but decades since I’ve seen it. I’ll have to check it out again soon. :D

• Like 1

was roaming the net for old 'second zone' movies of the 80s. and came across two interesting movies. which is quite rare with that kind of movies

Defiance. starring Jan M. Vincent. a kind of Streets of rage themed movie. that kind of movie is pretty rare AFAIK. while the style being very popular into 80s fashion

Defiance_FilmPoster.jpeg.a82cf2a3769bfe2cfc5fbb523c08b57e.jpeg

Extra-terrestrial visitors. i'm not into UFO stuff myself. but as i said i wanted to watch old 80s movies. so i gave that one a chance. and honestly it's not bad at all. with an interestesting relationship between a kid and an extra-terrestrial being

Extra_Terrestrial_Visitors_poster.jpg.bbba6b82d1da37565e500becd3979997.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Anybody seen Miami Connection?

The acting and dialogue :eek:

Can’t be worse than No Retreat No Surrender :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I watched Barbie with Korean subtitles on Sunday night and Indiana Jones on Saturday. Neither were worth paying for, one I don't see what the fuss was about and the other I can't remember a thing about it apart from Mads Mikkelsen was in it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marc said:

I watched Barbie with Korean subtitles on Sunday night and Indiana Jones on Saturday. Neither were worth paying for, one I don't see what the fuss was about and the other I can't remember a thing about it apart from Mads Mikkelsen was in it. 

I saw the new “Indiana Jones” in the theater opening weekend…I thought it was awesome & a very good, positive way to retire the character. :clap: I have no idea what the negativity is about ?(, other than the woke controlled media decided it would supposedly be a bad movie. Barbie is garbage…my opinion, but just sayin’. ;)

• Like 2