Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

• Administrators
16 hours ago, miamijimf said:

That would be cool but isn't the course too small for F1?

Does seem a bit small at 2.6 miles, but Mexico, Brazil (Interlagos), and Austria are the same, 2.6 miles, and they're fine. Montreal and Hungary are 2.7 miles. 

They'll probably get 1:10 - 1:15 lap times here. It is on the short side, but there are already 5 tracks around this length, so... 

I suggested to lengthen it a bit and use some of Dodge Island:

miami.png

I think that'll be better, because not only will it make it longer, but having a very tight hairpin after a long straight ON A BRIDGE could be dangerous. 

4 hours ago, James said:

Does seem a bit small at 2.6 miles, but Mexico, Brazil (Interlagos), and Austria are the same, 2.6 miles, and they're fine. Montreal and Hungary are 2.7 miles. 

They'll probably get 1:10 - 1:15 lap times here. It is on the short side, but there are already 5 tracks around this length, so... 

I suggested to lengthen it a bit and use some of Dodge Island:

miami.png

I think that'll be better, because not only will it make it longer, but having a very tight hairpin after a long straight ON A BRIDGE could be dangerous. 

It would be good if they could lengthen the course slightly - what is the length of the Monaco course in the South of France ?.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

It would be good if they could lengthen the course slightly - what is the length of the Monaco course in the South of France ?.

2.07 miles. It's really short. But because it's slow, tight, and twisty it's an acceptable size for it as it takes longer to get around.

1 hour ago, James said:

2.07 miles. It's really short. But because it's slow, tight, and twisty it's an acceptable size for it as it takes longer to get around.

Yes I’ve spent time in Monaco and wow that circuit is incredibly tight with difficult terrain but it’s one of the most prestigious and beautiful parts of the World.

• Like 1

A really great shot of Collins Avenue, Miami Beach 1957 looking south.                   

From 41st St the location of the Season 3 opening credit/ “Killshot” shot but a completely different angle.

A1276159-ADDE-44DF-8184-48A839E3188D.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Seen this on YouTube freshly uploaded, some stock footage of Miami in the 60s.

5 hours ago, James said:

Seen this on YouTube freshly uploaded, some stock footage of Miami in the 60s.

Great James - thankyou for posting.

Speaking of old Miami pixs first is Lincoln Road in 1957.  Then Miami Beach looking north from 57th Street (1958)....63rd Street draw bridge can be seen.  Man have things changed.  Fastest growing city after Las Vegas.

Lincoln Rd 57.jpg

32073313_1746788732078392_1964845476612145152_n.jpg

4 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Speaking of old Miami pixs first is Lincoln Road in 1957.  Then Miami Beach looking north from 57th Street (1958)....63rd Street draw bridge can be seen.  Man have things changed.  Fastest growing city after Las Vegas.

Lincoln Rd 57.jpg

32073313_1746788732078392_1964845476612145152_n.jpg

Great pictures Jim - man 63rd Street bridge and the beach looked great then in 1957.!

Jim - a current day of 63rd Street bridge, mid to upper left of the picture, (“Heart of Darkness”) looking south down Collins.

412350BC-144D-4485-AA97-81354F0E75E8.jpeg

• Like 2

This was sent to me on twitter Today - a current day view of Downtown Miami- the sheer number of Miami Vice locations here in this shot is staggering!:fireworks:

7621C1C9-58D8-4C63-BB92-800F10E37A8B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Artist conception of what the Miami News bldg (now the Freedom tower) was supposed to look like when completed but the Miami News ran out of money.  Not surprising the depression stalled a lot of projects.

32235531_1748645361892729_1006511365180882944_n.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Matt5 said:

This was sent to me on twitter Today - a current day view of Downtown Miami- the sheer number of Miami Vice locations here in this shot is staggering!:fireworks:

7621C1C9-58D8-4C63-BB92-800F10E37A8B.jpeg

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a photo which shows this whole area. 

On 08/05/2018 at 7:54 PM, Matt5 said:

Great pictures Jim - man 63rd Street bridge and the beach looked great then in 1957.!

In your first pic on Lincoln Road Jim just trying to locate exactly where on Lincoln it is ?

4 hours ago, James said:

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for a photo which shows this whole area. 

Pleasure - it’s a great picture considering it covers such a lot of the Downtown area.

Here’s another current day from Alton Road and 5th Street in Miami Beach - again the number of Miami Vice locations in this picture is amazing! 

A real shame we lost the “Little Prince” house on Star Island :thumbsdown:

D6AF663F-C81B-4E76-A409-D4F3F1ECF9D9.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matt5 said:

In your first pic on Lincoln Road Jim just trying to locate exactly where on Lincoln it is ?

My best guess is that the tall building on the left is 846 Lincoln Road Mall.   See

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7904685,-80.1371154,3a,75y,267.22h,99.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4dqtHsQGo9aAbzzpLv6TJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This building was formerly home to the real estate offices of Beach founder Carl Fisher.  It has been the home of the Van Dyke Café for decades.  The café closed in 2013 as the result of rents insanely spiking.  Burn Notice's Season Four’s ‘Last Stand’ features the inside and outside of the Van Dyke Café.  

It would help if I could find the Birdseye View feature that I think used to be on Bing Maps.  Anyone know where it is?

Edited by miamijimf

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

My best guess is that the tall building on the left is 846 Lincoln Road Mall.   See

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7904685,-80.1371154,3a,75y,267.22h,99.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4dqtHsQGo9aAbzzpLv6TJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This building was formerly home to the real estate offices of Beach founder Carl Fisher.  It has been the home of the Van Dyke Café for decades.  The café closed in 2013 as the result of rents insanely spiking.  Burn Notice's Season Four’s ‘Last Stand’ features the inside and outside of the Van Dyke Café.  

It would help if I could find the Birdseye View feature that I think used to be on Bing Maps.  Anyone know where it is?

Still there Jim - should be next to Streetside - here is the Bing Maps Birds Eye feature of 846 Lincoln Road Mall.

https://binged.it/2wt8md9

Edited by Matt5

Found this great clip of DJ introducing Miami during one of his many Powerboat races, which the MV show got him into. (1990) :cool:

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

• Administrators
14 hours ago, summer84 said:

Found this great clip of DJ introducing Miami during one of his many Powerboat races, which the MV show got him into. (1990) :cool:

Well that was awesome! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Speaking of races. An update on the proposed new F1 Miami Grand Prix - The Miami City Commission have approved the plans and all voted unanimously. But there's still a lot more to do before they can sign contracts with the sport. 

"We recognise that this is only the start of the process and we will immediately get to work with the various community stakeholders, the City of Miami, the Port of Miami, Bayfront Park Management Trust and others, in order to reach a final agreement"

But it's all looking positive so far! I think they're targeting for an October race, and do it for 10 years starting next year (2019). 

https://wtf1.com/post/plans-for-a-miami-gp-in-2019-have-been-approved/

1 hour ago, James said:

Well that was awesome! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was pretty cool and very fitting, none other than the Miami star himself showing some of city. Seeing the gorgeous places and how he speak so fondly of the city, he worked 5 years in, (although he did complain about the heat,) ;) really makes one want to be there this moment and hang out with DJ. :):fireworks:     If I ever get the chance to visit, (in a million years maybe) sure would be fun to do it with a helicopter tour. Not certain, if I''ll have the courage, but still. :)

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, summer84 said:

I loved this - Thankyou for posting.

DJ was at the News Cafe on Ocean Drive when he was sitting down. It was great to see DJ so enthusiastic about the City that is the milestone in his career ..thanks Summer

• Like 1