Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

17 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Here is 1980s Miami compared to today.

test.jpg

7621C1C9-58D8-4C63-BB92-800F10E37A8B.thumb.jpeg.8a209c2cdcd6e41521f9c7a44df8f4e3.jpeg

Even though I love the second picture ...man Miami in the 80s was so much better!... great pictures Jim.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

My best guess is that the tall building on the left is 846 Lincoln Road Mall.   See

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7904685,-80.1371154,3a,75y,267.22h,99.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4dqtHsQGo9aAbzzpLv6TJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This building was formerly home to the real estate offices of Beach founder Carl Fisher.  It has been the home of the Van Dyke Café for decades.  The café closed in 2013 as the result of rents insanely spiking.  Burn Notice's Season Four’s ‘Last Stand’ features the inside and outside of the Van Dyke Café.  

It would help if I could find the Birdseye View feature that I think used to be on Bing Maps.  Anyone know where it is?

Hope you found it ok Jim with the link I sent here.

Ok this picture has been heavily filtered from Miami views on twitter but it shows a nice alternate angle we see in Season 3s “Lend me an Ear”. 

76CD943B-209B-46DD-BC81-BC96548B35FF.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was pretty cool and very fitting, none other than the Miami star himself showing some of city. Seeing the gorgeous places and how he speak so fondly of the city, he worked 5 years in, (although he did complain about the heat,) ;) really makes one want to be there this moment and hang out with DJ. :):fireworks:     If I ever get the chance to visit, (in a million years maybe) sure would be fun to do it with a helicopter tour. Not certain, if I''ll have the courage, but still. :)

Yes exactly! I think it's rare to see him like that, but it was really enjoyable to watch him pretty much being our tour guide of Miami. Wish there was more! :thumbsup:

I don't think I'll do a helicopter tour either... I can barely do a plane ride, and helicopters seem more eerie. :) 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 4:54 PM, James said:

Yes exactly! I think it's rare to see him like that, but it was really enjoyable to watch him pretty much being our tour guide of Miami. Wish there was more! :thumbsup:

I don't think I'll do a helicopter tour either... I can barely do a plane ride, and helicopters seem more eerie. :) 

There is indeed more! :thumbsup: This is the full coverage of the event shot off of Miami Beach. 

Maybe you'd like to see it all for yourself, so I thought, that I probably shouldn't reveal the final results. :) I haven't actually seen a powerboat race before, it was interesting!

I can handle a shorter plane trip, but the powerful turbulence I experienced, I think about 2 years ago, really scared me. So at one point, I decided to read a lot about it and hopefully if something like that, (in that degree,) should occur next time, the knowledge I've gotten will help, creating less unease to put it mildly. Also a good advice apparently is to sit in the planes center. So, I guess, I'll see how that goes. :)

Edited by summer84
misspelling
  • Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, summer84 said:

There is indeed more! :thumbsup: This is the full coverage of the event shot off of Miami Beach. 

Maybe you'd like to see it all for yourself, so I thought, that I probably shouldn't reveal the final results. :) I haven't actually seen a powerboat race before, it was interesting!

I can handle a shorter plane trip, but the powerful turbulens I experienced, I think about 2 years ago, really scared me. So at one point, I decided to read a lot about it and hopefully if something like that, (in that degree,) should occur next time, the knowledge I've gotten will help, creating less unease to put it mildly. Also a good advice apparently is to sit in the planes center. So, I guess, I'll see how that goes. :)

Wow that's great! Thanks! I was looking for it on YouTube but couldn't find it. Guess I should've searched vimeo. :p I think I'll download this for my archive. I did see the San Francisco race on YouTube, there was an interview with Don during that telecast. 

You can't really choose where you sit on the plane, can you? The tickets usually have designated rows and seats. But yeah, I think you would have less tilt motion in the middle, kind of like a seesaw, but you'd still fee the g-forces of climbing or descending.

I don't know how people fly like it's nothing and feel no effect. People put their head down, watch a movie or play a game. I couldn't, it was making me dizzy.

I heard that the longer international/overseas flights on are better though, you apparently feel less in the bigger plane. Don't know if it's true. The thought of being on a plane for 14 hours scares me. xD 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, summer84 said:

I can handle a shorter plane trip, but the powerful turbulens I experienced, I think about 2 years ago, really scared me. So at one point, I decided to read a lot about it and hopefully if something like that, (in that degree,) should occur next time, the knowledge I've gotten will help, creating less unease to put it mildly. Also a good advice apparently is to sit in the planes center. So, I guess, I'll see how that goes. :)

Really great extended coverage Thankyou for this additional part!..:hippie:

• Like 1

Some old pictures to compliment this thread.

Ocean Drive #1 from the Starlite looking south and the old Fairmont on Collins before demolision. 

1D004DFA-0683-46A1-9733-C0AB44E9F354.jpeg

956448F3-E219-4170-A94C-81161B300028.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, James said:

Wow that's great! Thanks! I was looking for it on YouTube but couldn't find it. Guess I should've searched vimeo. :p I think I'll download this for my archive. I did see the San Francisco race on YouTube, there was an interview with Don during that telecast. 

You can't really choose where you sit on the plane, can you? The tickets usually have designated rows and seats. But yeah, I think you would have less tilt motion in the middle, kind of like a seesaw, but you'd still fee the g-forces of climbing or descending.

I don't know how people fly like it's nothing and feel no effect. People put their head down, watch a movie or play a game. I couldn't, it was making me dizzy.

I heard that the longer international/overseas flights on are better though, you apparently feel less in the bigger plane. Don't know if it's true. The thought of being on a plane for 14 hours scares me. xD 

Haha, yeah it's scary for me too. A few hours is enough up in the air. I like it much better on the ground. :)

Yes you have the option during booking to select a seat by the window, middle or next to the hallway on any row. It just cost's additional. I feel now, I sound like a travel agent. :DSeriously though, if you don't choose a seat, you of course get whatever is available/hasen't been occupied. My preferred seat is always by the window, I like to look down. It helps to know what's going on outside of the plane. 

The plane is build/designed to withstand a great deal and tackle turbulence. All pilots assure, that it isn't dangerous, as long as you have your seatbelt on when required. The part that makes me most nervous is during takeoff and landing. Depending on who the pilot is, I always hope for a smooth landing without the bump. And it's said to be smoother by the wings, sitting in the middle.

There is no entertainment on board of the craft, that we are on, but I remember on other airlines the played classical music before and after landing to calm people down and showed just for laughs/gags clips, which is a good distraction. At one point though, they turned it off the screens and made us watch the airplanes route instead. :rolleyes::)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Some old pictures to compliment this thread.

Ocean Drive #1 from the Starlite looking south and the old Fairmont on Collins before demolision. 

1D004DFA-0683-46A1-9733-C0AB44E9F354.jpeg

956448F3-E219-4170-A94C-81161B300028.jpeg

Great pictures Matt! Is that from the 80's? I read, that it was pretty much a deserted place, back when they filmed Miami Vice early on. It was really easy for the film crew to just shoot all over Miami Beach.

• Like 1

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Haha, yeah it's scary for me too. A few hours is enough up in the air. I like it much better on the ground. :)

Yes you have the option during booking to select a seat by the window, middle or next to the hallway on any row. It just cost's additional. I feel now, I sound like a travel agent. :DSeriously though, if you don't choose a seat, you of course get whatever is available/hasen't been occupied. My preferred seat is always by the window, I like to look down. It helps to know what's going on outside of the plane. 

The plane is build/designed to withstand a great deal and tackle turbulence. All pilots assure, that it isn't dangerous, as long as you have your seatbelt on when required. The part that makes me most nervous is during takeoff and landing. Depending on who the pilot is, I always hope for a smooth landing without the bump. And it's said to be smoother by the wings, sitting in the middle.

There is no entertainment on board of the craft, that we are on, but I remember on other airlines the played classical music before and after landing to calm people down and showed just for laughs/gags clips, which is a good distraction. At one point though, they turned it off the screens and made us watch the airplanes route instead. :rolleyes::)

Oh, that makes sense. I've never been personally involved with the booking before, it's always someone else. I'm just like "Yeah, do whatever". :)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Great pictures Matt! Is that from the 80's? I read, that it was pretty much a deserted place, back when they filmed Miami Vice early on. It was really easy for the film crew to just shoot all over Miami Beach.

Thanks Summer... these are from the year 1980.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, James said:

Oh, that makes sense. I've never been personally involved with the booking before, it's always someone else. I'm just like "Yeah, do whatever". :)

Lucky you, I unfortunately have to do it every time, since I'm "so good" with computers. :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Yes it was easier to shoot in the early 80s before Vice but not deserted.  SoBe was a lot less populated and had mainly older residents and snowbirds.

Great photos Matt.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Yes it was easier to shoot in the early 80s before Vice but not deserted.  SoBe was a lot less populated and had mainly older residents and snowbirds.

Great photos Matt.

Thankyou Jim - here is Tommy’s Deck Bar from 1980 also. (“Nobody Lives Forever”)

1CEED68C-BB49-4E01-86E3-09B89337CF8C.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to find specific MV related stuff on YouTube. :(

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

I was sent this on twitter today - a sunrise in Miami this morning on the Venetian Causeway looking to 1000 Venetian Way (“Heart of Darkness”, “By Hooker By Crook”). 

We see this stretch in “Cool Runnin’”, “Bought and Paid For” as well as Season 5s “Miami Squeeze”.

7BA0C9AE-C875-452E-9DDB-51C67848AF67.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 5

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Retro80sfan said:

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to find specific MV related stuff on YouTube. :(

Those darn copyright claims. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 3:52 PM, miamijimf said:

Speaking of old Miami pixs first is Lincoln Road in 1957.  Then Miami Beach looking north from 57th Street (1958)....63rd Street draw bridge can be seen.  Man have things changed.  Fastest growing city after Las Vegas.

Lincoln Rd 57.jpg

32073313_1746788732078392_1964845476612145152_n.jpg

Yes checked Jim - in your first picture the tallest building that is definately 846 Lincoln Road and taken from approx 800 Lincoln Road Mall / Meridian Avenue.

The cars in your picture would have been approaching the intersection of Meridian and Lincoln Rd Mall.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/846+Lincoln+Rd,+Miami+Beach,+FL+33139,+USA/@25.7904687,-80.136712,3a,75y,301.72h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swcVIE9l-rQNNHx7LilMPsg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b48676bb5fb9:0x2e286a908b592338!8m2!3d25.7903273!4d-80.1375012

https://binged.it/2rF7blK

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

This was sent to me on twitter today - an interesting current day angle above San Marco Is/Venetian Islands looking to 1000 Venetian Way, Venetian Cswy, Watson Is and MacArthur Cswy in Downtown.:funky:

B0065892-79B9-4AB4-BE9F-1945E140BDAF.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3