Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

22 minutes ago, Mrich209 said:

So who, besides myself, will be throwing on the white suit at the end of the month lol ?

20211016_173535.jpg

20211016_173622.jpg

20211016_173645.jpg

20211016_174152.jpg

The last photo is like the Yankee Dollar look.

Miami Vice" Yankee Dollar (TV Episode 1986) - IMDb

God knows what made Don get rid of this great haircut for that horrible mess in season 3.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

God knows what made Don get rid of this great haircut for that horrible mess in season 3.

I think it is very likely that he was contract-bound to go along with whatever styling decisions the "fashion department" of the show came up with. I love the look of the season 3 exactly because it is the most 80s, especially in the latter part of the season where Don was rocking a full-fledged mullet. Combined with those cropped blazers, he sometimes looked more like a long lost member of Duran Duran than an actual police officer. Fits in with whole "MTV cops" concept rather well.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, Viceguy said:

I think it is very likely that he was contract-bound to go along with whatever styling decisions the "fashion department" of the show came up with. I love the look of the season 3 exactly because it is the most 80s, especially in the latter part of the season where Don was rocking a full-fledged mullet. Combined with those cropped blazers, he sometimes looked more like a long lost member of Duran Duran than an actual police officer. Fits in with whole "MTV cops" concept rather well.

But his haircut in season 1 & 2 is timeless, especially in season 1. He was so cool looking. Sonny - No Exit - Episode screenshots - The Miami Vice Community

You wouldn't look out of place now 2021 with that hairstyle. The spiky haircut or mullet was cheesy and did not suit Don, made him look older as well.

An absolute mess.

Untitled.png.2cb99e7781e6b9a57c415356bb4f1c9c.png

I think the season 3 look is fine.  That was the trend then.  Not many people rock the same hairstyle their whole lives.  :)  You either follow a trend or set one.  Even mullets are back in style again.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 4

On 10/21/2021 at 10:10 PM, IA-SteveB said:

Even mullets are back in style again.

Yeah, it really bugs me. i am a fairly young guy (30). I have been actively interested in  retro stuff since at least 2008. I have started collecting vinyl & listening to music on reel to reel tape deck long before it came back in vogue. People used to roll their eyes or at the very least shake their heads. The same goes for fashion. I remember back in the 00s the 80s were seen as the epitome of "never again" fashion trends. The clothing styles of the decade were really the butt of a joke. Now it seems to lessen somewhat, if not reverse completely. I bet that a lot of the people who used to ridicule the 80s trends now profess to find it stylish. Which makes me wonder...Why a lot of people seem to follow whatever is "in" so mindlessly? Can't you just define your own sense of aesthetics?

Edited by Viceguy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Viceguy said:

Yeah, it really bugs me. i am a fairly young guy (30). I have been actively interested in  retro stuff since at least 2008. I have started collecting vinyl & listening to music on reel to reel tape deck long before it came back in vogue. People used to roll their eyes or at the very least shake their heads. The same goes for fashion. I remember back in the 00s the 80s were seen as the epitome of "never again" fashion trends. The clothing styles of the decade were really the butt of a joke. Now it seems to lessen somewhat, if not reverse completely. I bet that a lot of the people who used to ridicule the 80s trends now profess to find it stylish. Which makes me wonder...Why a lot of people seem to follow whatever is "in" so mindlessly? Can't you just define your own sense of aesthetics?

I don’t have an answer for the last part of your post.  It’s the nature of fashion, I suppose.  To sell new products, they have to be different from what came before, but there aren’t an infinite number of new ideas.  As high school teachers, my wife and I see new trends almost every year and often discuss what we have noticed.  I don’t think anything changes as fast as high school fashion, and we’re in Southern California which is probably more fashion-conscious than many places.

There was already a bit of 80’s retro a few years ago that is now gone.  This year we’re seeing some early 90’s trends and my wife has joked that the girls are wearing what she used to wear in high school. I’m a few years older than her and graduated in the late 80’s.  She graduated in the early 90’s.  It’s the first time we’ve seen those particular fashions reappear in our careers.  

I don’t have any problem with changing fashions.  I actually find it kind of fun to see what the kids are up to.  That said, some of my colleagues are a bit more “curmudgeonly” shall I say, to be nice.  They seem to complain a lot about what the kids wear and dress code seems to be far more important to them than my wife and I.  To each his own, as they say.

• Like 1

Season 3 hairstyle was a mistake imo.

It was that much of a mess he had to gel the sides when he was growing the mullet.

Edited by RedDragon86

On 10/23/2021 at 6:43 AM, Viceguy said:

I'm closer to 50 than 40 and I think for me, revisiting fashion and going back to things like listening to music on vinyl just brings a sense of comfort.  The 80's was a simpler time and the world was much smaller.  In today's climate, it's an escape and we all like to escape to a time when we just felt good.  For me, the 80's was it.  I had a great childhood with lots of good memories... 

I think there are still a lot of people who would never be caught dead wearing 80's fashion trends but I'd bet those people never experienced it first hand.  As we age, we like to be taken back...  I'm not interested in 60's and early 70's retro stuff because I wasn't here to remember it.  :)

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:42 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Season 3 hairstyle was a mistake imo.

It was that much of a mess he had to gel the sides when he was growing the mullet.

He started looking like Rod Stewart by the end of the season.

• Haha 2

I have to say that a lot of my students don’t follow the popular styles in high school.  Lots of kids do their own thing, probably more so than young adults really.  High school kids are trying to find their style and it’s been fun over the years seeing the different trends but particularly the unique kids that do different things.  I remember many.  

I would also add that following Vice style is not exactly defining one’s own aesthetic, as it is drawing from the previous style of others, but it’s certainly not following what’s the “in” style either.  I find it fascinating that many members over the years have pointed out happily when certain 80’s style elements seemed to be regaining popularity, while others have questioned the need to follow the popular styles when 80’s elements have not been popular.  

I think we all may fit somewhere on a spectrum of wanting uniqueness while not being so far from the norm as to be called out.  Just some thoughts.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mrich209 said:

So who, besides myself, will be throwing on the white suit at the end of the month lol ?

20211016_173535.jpg

20211016_173622.jpg

20211016_173645.jpg

20211016_174152.jpg

You’ve always had the hair down since you started posting pictures here, but I think you are genuinely morphing into Don Johnson. I’m jealous!

I’ve been wearing my Member’s Only jacket lately, but mine is beige/tan. When I bought it, it looked more gray, but I think lighting is everything. It still looks gray in some lights.

• Like 2

While I could never get my hair to cooperate and look as good as those pictures, I'm tempted to keep letting it grow and shoot for the messier s5 look.

I can do messy...no problem.:p

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Not exactly but the last pic "bang your dead" :)

You look great, Dons 1 and half way through S2 hairstyle to perfection. 

"Bang you're dead" one of my favorite episodes lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think there was an article someone posted here earlier this year from a tv guide-type magazine from 1986 that said Michael Mann or whomever decided to change Sonny's look because after a few years of working undercover, along with Frank Zappa's character realizing that Crockett and Burnett were the same person towards the end of S2, it was time for Burnett to change his look. That being said, I think if they had trimmed up the back/bottom as the rest of it grew out throughout S3, it would've looked a lot better.

Anyone here have an idea of when this series of photos were taken? It looks like a combination of the shorter Season 1&2 look mixed with season 3's look without it being so "Square". If these photos were taken between shooting of seasons 2&3, they definitely dropped the ball by changing his hair further. I think this look is timeless and can be sported forever:

-9000592138329385185.jpg

b9b54db6ff4f55966e5a67fdf96d3d6e.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/13/2021 at 5:54 PM, TylerDurden389 said:

I think there was an article someone posted here earlier this year from a tv guide-type magazine from 1986 that said Michael Mann or whomever decided to change Sonny's look because after a few years of working undercover, along with Frank Zappa's character realizing that Crockett and Burnett were the same person towards the end of S2, it was time for Burnett to change his look. That being said, I think if they had trimmed up the back/bottom as the rest of it grew out throughout S3, it would've looked a lot better.

Anyone here have an idea of when this series of photos were taken? It looks like a combination of the shorter Season 1&2 look mixed with season 3's look without it being so "Square". If these photos were taken between shooting of seasons 2&3, they definitely dropped the ball by changing his hair further. I think this look is timeless and can be sported forever:

-9000592138329385185.jpg

b9b54db6ff4f55966e5a67fdf96d3d6e.jpg

I think this shoot probably took place around the middle of season 3. The mullet from the end of season 2 is already gone. And he started growing back the mullet at the and of season 3.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never really followed his hair but doesn't this hair look much darker than what he had in the other seasons? It was very blonde in the beginning but this doesn't look blonde hair at all.

miami-vice-still8.jpg.16da25c8a6ac7622b4f1aaf6da1cfcc5.jpg

2 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

I have never really followed his hair but doesn't this hair look much darker than what he had in the other seasons? It was very blonde in the beginning but this doesn't look blonde hair at all.

miami-vice-still8.jpg.16da25c8a6ac7622b4f1aaf6da1cfcc5.jpg

I’ve always noticed his hair darker in Prodigal Son than other episodes. 

• Like 1

@apocalypse @Dadrian I think the shots and the exposure was different slightly in that Episode that is why his hair looks darker. Loot at his eyes, they look almost completely brown. Also his eyebrows look darker than usual. I think being shot partly in NYC they wanted to create less vicey appearance in terms of brightness.

• Like 1