Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Looks like the buildings to the south are unchanged so you should be able to get great re-creation shots. I am seriously considering heading down now, sometime in March so if anyone is interested in getting together and hitting this and other locations let me know and I will start organizing for a date, probably 3 days. Really like to do this site justice since it is still there and was so elusive. Need to get great re-creation shots.

You better hurry, the place was sold in Dec. of 2013 and the new owners have big plans. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-12-18/business/fl-lauderdale-beachside-hotel-20131218_1_ocean-drive-hotel-group-cbre

• Like 1

Just want to note this as well, the official address is : 4660 N Ocean Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

Its the biggest find in a while and as from the pilot has special reference that was the only scene shot up there for the Pilot - so we are all like wow! . The place will no doubt be knocked down and renovated soon

:D  :fireworks:  :cake:

• Like 1

Looks like the buildings to the south are unchanged so you should be able to get great re-creation shots. I am seriously considering heading down now, sometime in March so if anyone is interested in getting together and hitting this and other locations let me know and I will start organizing for a date, probably 3 days. Really like to do this site justice since it is still there and was so elusive. Need to get great re-creation shots.

Charlie, I will definitely be down there in May but might go earlier with a buddy.  Let me know when you plan to go.

• Like 1

Charlie, I will definitely be down there in May but might go earlier with a buddy.  Let me know when you plan to go.

Its quite a find Jim - one of the most relevant finds in quite a while - looks like the developers have plans for this place.

I did manage to get a shot of the back yard/ pool of 3067 Jefferson St in Coconut Grove this trip. :D  :)  :fireworks:

• Like 1

Anyone in the area check it out and see what the status is. I will make plans if it is still there to come down in march to photograph it and get the on location Vice experience.

Anyone in the area check it out and see what the status is. I will make plans if it is still there to come down in march to photograph it and get the on location Vice experience.

I am in Pompano and Boca Raton so will check Monday have a word with owners at 4660 North Ocean Bvld, Fort Lauderdale :D  :)  :fireworks:

The hotel may be closed ?

Thankyou so much !  :D  :cake:

You're welcome! I am just hoping, Matt, that the hotel will still be standing when I get there in May. They've also recently demolished a house I wanted to see from Only Fools & Horses. I've got my screen caps ready on my android :)

• Like 1

Holy moly! Finding this tough nut location by coincidence after such a long and unsuccessful search is incredible! If it is still recognizable this will be the cream on top.

Like in sports: never give up! I am confident that we will find the other unsolved cases as well.

I am looking forward to seeing Matt's pics!

• Like 2

Holy moly! Finding this tough nut location by coincidence after such a long and unsuccessful search is incredible! If it is still recognizable this will be the cream on top.Like in sports: never give up! I am confident that we will find the other unsolved cases as well.I am looking forward to seeing Matt's pics!

Well I will visit Monday as in Pompano and report back - I will see if I can find out from the Manager or Owner what plans they have and a timeline for us to work too. :D  :fireworks:  :cake:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Holy crap!!!!! Look Familiar???? WOW;Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

It has had some upgrades over the years*. Google Street View;

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 1

It has had some upgrades over the heres. Google Street View;

Eingefügtes Bild

Yes, go back a page and you'll see these photos. The new owners have plans for renovation, which could be just upgrading the current structure or demolishing everything and starting over with a more modern design. Hopefully Matt can get there Monday and get us some current photos.

• Like 1

Good news. So far the hotel is still there and no construction or destruction visible as per reported by a friend who drives by there frequently. I'm thinking March 11-13th look good for me to fly down and hit this and some other sites.

• Like 2

yeah no kidding. I use to live fairly close to that and I missed it. How long did I search for this location?????? One of the great location mysteries of Miami Vice and it was in my neighborhood in Ft Lauderdale.

Think was on that very beach...."Tubbs. I mean, uh, you're not exactly up my alley--style and personawise. Heaven knows I'm no box of candy. But with all things considered, I think we may have to consider some type of... temporary working relationship."

NICE FIND C Glide! :)

• Like 1

Visited Today 4660 North Ocean Bvld/ Pine Avenue  in Fort Lauderdale / Lauderdale by the Sea - slightly south of Hillsborough Beach where they shot "Phil the Shill"  and North of the beaches where they shot the "Whatever Works " scenes. 

A good location looking exactly as it does in the photos Jeremy pulled offline - with the brown and cream stripped paintwork . The beach bar has changed however and was probably rebuilt after MV as the interior is all stone clad. The four buildings to the South of 4660 are all resorts also which we see and all unchanged . There were a few elderly holiday makers in this quite busy location but certainly less frantic- party like than Miami but you could certainly recognize the location .  I liked the area - more like how Sunny Isles used to be back in the Day - still very surprised they shot up here for that scene .

I spoke to a Manager and renovations will take place on interiors in March - April but did mention the exteriors should remain unchanged . I got some great shots and will post when I return - photos at day and early evening - I know this will particularly interest Jim, Jeremy and pinkflamingo :)  :D  :fireworks:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

Great work Matt!!

One question - When you talked to the Manager, did he/she have an photos of the Hotel from the 80's or around the time they filmed the pilot ep. there?

It's good to see this hotel still remains relatively unchanged but if it were in Miami it most likely would have been replaced with a 100 floor highrise, perhaps it being in Ft. Lauderdale saved it.

Thanks again for scouting this location !! :thumbsup:  :D

• Like 2