Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Great photos Jim. Some of those photos (judging by the vehicles) could possibly be early 60's ? When you look at the historical maps site (1986) I don't see anything that looks close to what we see in this photo on Key Biscayne.

Its not a match but if you look at the Key Biscayne beachfront on the NETR Online Historic aerials for 1980 you do see some hotels at the end of Galen Dr. And there are more structures further north. It may in fact be between Surfside and Sunny Isles. Maybe I'm still too influenced by what Michael Talbott said. He said he was present when that pilot scene was filmed and it was on Key Biscayne. He confused the pilot scene with his scene in the Great McCarthy but that's still a clue.

Its not a match but if you look at the Key Biscayne beachfront on the NETR Online Historic aerials for 1980 you do see some hotels at the end of Galen Dr. And there are more structures further north. It may in fact be between Surfside and Sunny Isles. Maybe I'm still too influenced by what Michael Talbott said. He said he was present when that pilot scene was filmed and it was on Key Biscayne. He confused the pilot scene with his scene in the Great McCarthy but that's still a clue.

Valid points, Jim. :thumbsup::D

Great pictures. I am however fairly doubtfull that this was filmed on KB. I have gone back and forth on this over the years a few times but yesterday I was looking at historic aerials just for this scene. I was caught up at work so borrowed some time to scan the coast. I see nothing on KB that could be our locale. I never close anything off completely as a possibility until we find the right spot but I am looking up the coast. I scanned from about my old house in Ft Lauderdale all the way down to South Pointe. I used the 1986 shot as it is much clearer. I see 4 or 5 locales that have some potential but nothing that really makes me think that I have any strong leads. This locale is really a mystery' date=' and being from the Pilot, it has been worked on probably more than any other.[/quote']Agreed, I did exactly what you did but i would flip back in forth from 1980 to 1986 as I was scanning the coast from So.Beach past Ft.Lauderdale to see if a building/landscape had changed, I came up with nothing. Is there a chance this was filmed on the west coast of FL ? Naples, Ft. Myers? Thoughts? :D

Agreed' date=' I did exactly what you did but i would flip back in forth from 1980 to 1986 as I was scanning the coast from So.Beach past Ft.Lauderdale to see if a building/landscape had changed, I came up with nothing. Is there a chance this was filmed on the west coast of FL ? Naples, Ft. Myers? Thoughts? :D[/quote']Great contribution Pink Flamingo but very very unlikely it was filmed on west coast of Fl -Naples , Ft Myers :thumbsup::D

• 2 weeks later...

Ref the Pilot's beach scene. Check out this post card. One poster wrote, "I believe the IHOP on the lower right was at 183d Street and A1A." Some of these motels look promising, what do you think? The motel style and area certainly look right.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8047[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965633161_thumb.jpg

The hotel at the bottom left corner looks like the Thunderbird ? Great photo' date=' Jim ! :thumbsup:[/quote']It is The Thunderbird Motel I believe Great photo Jim .!:shout::D:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Here's another motel from the same era and area. It's the Pan American Motel, 17875 Collins Ave. Judging from the cars it looks like the 50s. It could be one of the motels in the scene if other motels were build alongside.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8076[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965673359_thumb.jpg

Maybe one of these days I will find a postcard that gives us a clue. If so one of you guys are more likely to spot it than me. That's why I post them. The last card is of the Colonial Inn at 181st St Sunny Isles.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8087[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965677031_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965677608_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965678082_thumb.jpg

Maybe one of these days I will find a postcard that gives us a clue. If so one of you guys are more likely to spot it than me. That's why I post them. The last card is of the Colonial Inn at 181st St Sunny Isles.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8087[/ATTACH]

Great work , Jim, as always - they look so much like what was featured in the Pilot :D:thumbsdown:

• 1 month later...
CC10:I was just taking a look at The Great McCarthy and I discovered something which leads me to introduce cold case 10. I think this one should be relatively less hard to solve for a cold case compared to some of the other seemingly impossible cases we have solved. I say this because of the "limiting factors" that I see. The location is fairly limited as to where it could be. I am talking about Vanessa's house as we see it at the end of the episode. I took a couple of screen captures and increased the adaptive lighting shedding light into the shadows. Several things appeared that make it findable" data-date=" possibly readily findable.Photo 10-A:[IMG">

http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/wpimages/wpc9a02cfd.pngPhoto 10-B:Eingefügtes Bild1) There appears to be a sizeable private boat in the background.2) The driveway goes up a man made incline toward the home.3) There is a narrow residential street that the driveway comes off of and behind it is water. It appears the road travels immediately along the waters edge.4) There is land or possibly a causeway in the background right.5) The driveway is not a cheapy but a nice and unique red colored drive.6) The drive has a unique shape as it comes off the street and then appears to exist both to the right and left.Photo 10-C:Eingefügtes Bild7) It appears that the front doors should be readily visible from the street and they are unique.There are limited occasions where the road runs along the water so it should be findable. I am going to fire up my google earth plane now and start looking. Study the pictures and let me know what you see and think.

Yes, back to finding Vanessa's House.Just for curiosities sake, would this house be located along the Miami River or Little River Canal? Or has everyone looked at this possibility ?

Yes' date=' back to finding Vanessa's House.Just for curiosities sake, would this house be located along the Miami River or Little River Canal? Or has everyone looked at this possibility ?[/quote']This one is still a mystery. I don't think the Miami River is a good place to look, haven't found many nice homes directly on the river. Key Biscayne seems likely because they filmed a lot there for this episode but I don't see any roads that run directly off the water. There aren't many such normal residential roads, it looks more like a private road.

This one is still a mystery. I don't think the Miami River is a good place to look' date=' haven't found many nice homes directly on the river. Key Biscayne seems likely because they filmed a lot there for this episode but I don't see any roads that run directly off the water. There aren't many such normal residential roads, it looks more like a private road.[/quote']I agree the Miami River is doubtful - Key Biscayne and the exclusive houses there are a more likely bet :cool::thumbsup::D

• 1 month later...

Still the Pilot beach scene outstanding - one I would love to find - surely must have been Key Biscayne? I am planning my next vacation where I aim to go to Miami for one month early next year - I will incorporate some of the West coast of Florida also such as Naples

• 1 month later...

Still the Pilot beach scene outstanding - one I would love to find - surely must have been Key Biscayne?I am planning my next vacation where I aim to go to Miami for one month early next year - I will incorporate some of the West coast of Florida also such as Naples

For some reason, I have this picture in my head the beach hotel where Trinni kills Leon was found and posted in a thread on .org. I think it was found using Bing Maps and the hotel demo'd the Tiki Bar but still had the aluminum frame structure we see attached to the Bar. Hmmmm ?

This one is still a mystery. I don't think the Miami River is a good place to look' date=' haven't found many nice homes directly on the river. Key Biscayne seems likely because they filmed a lot there for this episode but I don't see any roads that run directly off the water. There aren't many such normal residential roads, it looks more like a private road.[/quote']Hey Jim, One of the reasons I thought this house could be along one of the rivers is because of what we see from the driveway to the main road and beyond. Is that a bridge and a house? or warehouse? boat house and dock? I know it's tough to make out what it could be because of the darkness but whatever it is, it could be the biggest clue we have to solving this case.Hope your doing well and really enjoyed your book. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

In "Miracle Man" ( I know awful episode ) the glossary lists 1525 Pensylvania Ave in Miami Beach as Miracle's apt / where he made his talk but I don't recognise 1525 as being the apartments - anybody please advise ?:):D

In "Miracle Man" ( I know awful episode ) the glossary lists 1525 Pensylvania Ave in Miami Beach as Miracle's apt / where he made his talk but I don't recognise 1525 as being the apartments - anybody please advise ?:):D

I will go back and look. :radar:

• 2 weeks later...