Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Not sure if this will be of much help to solving any cases but pretty cool none the less.Archive footage of Miami Beach 1965 Miami Beach HotelsA few Photos from David Kaminsky, one of the author of "Tropical Deco: The Architecture and Design of Old Miami Beach"Check them out here: Tropical DecoIt also might be worth emailing him to see if he has other prints available.

Miami Beach HotelsA few Photos from David Kaminsky' date=' one of the author of "[b']Tropical Deco: The Architecture and Design of Old Miami Beach"Check them out here: Tropical DecoIt also might be worth emailing him to see if he has other prints available.

Interesting thanks. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Miami Beach HotelsA few Photos from David Kaminsky' date=' one of the author of "[b']Tropical Deco: The Architecture and Design of Old Miami Beach"Check them out here: Tropical DecoIt also might be worth emailing him to see if he has other prints available.

Great video...many of those buildings there in the 80's...be sure to watch it fullscreen!:cool:

Great there certainly are a lot of clues there :D

Although we thought we'd narrowed it down to Sunny Isles' date=' focus then moved to Surfside. CGlide found a spot but I think he discounted it. One thing to look for is the shape of the pool - this was how we could reject quite a few of the older motels as most had regular rectangular pools. There are semi-circular steps going into the water. If you look at post #109 on this thread you can see a small picture (look over Tubbs' shoulder to see the steps)with CGlide's description. The visible name on the beach bar is Turtle Shell tiki bar & CGlide said the name on the glass that Trini (in drag) is holding says Hock's Turtle shell tiki bar. (Trivia - Alison Hock wrote Milk Run so I'm hoping this wasn't a nod to her??)This is what was written back in 2007 on the topic:-"OK turtle shell bar. Just realized an overlooked clue plastic drinking glasses from bar have name on them with a sailboat logo. Name looks like hocles or hokes or something like that I am working now on getting a clearer shot and researching it but I figured I would let you all know so you could investigate also. Looks like plastic drink glass with sailboat says "HOCK'S" I did a quick search and it turned up this http://www.siestakeybeachrentals.com...tle-beach.htm? more than a coincidence that his bar is named turtle shell I think. Maybe this same guy owned over here on Miami Beach or Key Biscayne back then. Seems like a good lead to follow up on which I will but I figured I would let you ace detectives know so you could follow up also and see if we can dig anything up. "Originally posted by SOFLAJEREMY Turtle shell bar is a location we have been trying to sus out for a while Danj thinks it is on key biscayne and I think he is probably correct. the area is void of high rise condos so probably not sobe. just was watching ep and saw logo on glass Its where leon goes after the courthouse and never goes anywhere else after that"Here are C&T with glasses which CGlide borrowed from C&T's scrapbook: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7181[/ATTACH]I know in the past we discussed the actual bar and whether it was built specially for the scene by the crew, however looking at it closely there are plastic windbreaks/blinds attached to the top which look as though they would be used by a proper bar in cases of downpours or for when it was closed ... would the set designers have gone to such great detail just for one scene? Wouldn't have they just got together some timber & accessories to make it look like a bone fide bar?One motel mentioned in Sunny Isles was the Chateau:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7182[/ATTACH]

post-178-1389296506858_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965068744_thumb.jpg

Good stuff, Sue!I agree with you, the tiki bar is a permanent building. It is hard wired, has lights, etc... and looks very weathered. Speaking of HOCK'S...When Trini was sitting at the tiki bar, he was down on the south end, poolside. Here is his cup.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I have found an aerial shot of the Chateau by the Sea online. By the beach there appears to be a beach bar - sorry but I can't make this clearer. I've indicated the possible bar with red arrow. Although there is foliage around the hotel, this photo had to have been taken a good 10+ years after Vice. What does everyone think?(This is the site I got it from in case anyone can get a better screen cap than me: http://www.holidaycheck.com/hotel-travel+information_Hotel+Chateau+by+the+Sea-hid_41314.html)[ATTACH=CONFIG]7196[/ATTACH]

post-178-13892965071679_thumb.jpg

A few of things here. Look at the Chateau versus the hotel in the C&T scene. 1) The hotel in Vice has a men's and woman's restroom by the tiki bar ( 2 doors). The Chateau has one door and it's a smaller building.2) Look at the sliding glass doors and a short wall next to them. The Chateau has sold windows and a door. 3) The building next to the Chateau has an overhang and doors facing the pool. The building in Vice doesn't.4) The tiki bar sat up off the sand, in fact there is a "knee wall" that you can see by the volleyball players and under the bar. The Chateau's wall is really different and stops short of where the tiki bar would be. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these are a few things that caught my eye to discount the Chateau from the "potential" list. What do you all think? :xmas:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

We'd looked at this hotel previously so when I noted the beach bar in the newly-found aerial photo, I got excited. It looks as though the search for the elusive beach bar continues ... at least there is one thing we know about this property which means that 95% of properties around the Miami area can be disregarded - it is/was on a sandy beach! Back to the site with the grainy 80s aerial shots ...

Looks like my next trip to Miami will be this Spring. I plan to take another crack at finding this filming location. I screwed up last time and did not go to the place Charlie thought was most likely. I will be following this thread of course and will look at the spot or spots that you guys think are the best prospects. I don't expect the Tiki bar to still be there but some recognizable building might be.

Have been "walking" down from Sunny Isles to Surfside on google & bing maps tonight. The beach access looks good so I am going to concentrate on these areas for now. Most of South Beach is definitely out because of Lummus Park being located between Ocean Drive & the beach, although I'll take a look to see what access was available in the area below 5th where the builders have demolished almost every building standing in the 80s.Just a quick side note: I found this site for old pics of Miami which I don't think has been mentioned to date: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2799349150099220880wMHwROThere are some great shots of old Miami

Like this?Eingefügtes Bild
Yes' date=' I'm back to the Brothers Keeper beach shooting spot. A bit like Wheldon chasing Tony Arcaro lolWhen C&T are on the beach in the picture above, there are some neighbouring properties which might give us clues. I've marked them on the screen cap below:[ATTACH=CONFIG']7208[/ATTACH]A) Red arrow: the 2-storey building of neighbouring property which is adjacent to the beach has a pitch roof like a Swiss chalet (sorry I cant remember the technical term!). This sloping roof is facing onto the beachB) Blue arrow: the next property south of "chalet roof" which is also 2-storey is a distinctive golden yellow colourC) Green arrow: the actual property where the scene was filmed. Looking at the rooms in the wing adjacent to the beach, they appear to be set on pillars so there is a gap under the building.I'm currently going through the book I have on Sunny Isles to see if any old beach shots show hints. Later I'll be getting out the Smugglers Blues ep and watching the M/Beach flying scenes closely. Even though the Tiki Bar and/or the hotel might have been demolished since the 80s, there has to be a photo somewhere, just waiting to be discovered :)

post-178-13892965099462_thumb.jpg

7208[/ATTACH]A) Red arrow: the 2-storey building of neighbouring property which is adjacent to the beach has a pitch roof like a Swiss chalet (sorry I cant remember the technical term!). This sloping roof is facing onto the beachB) Blue arrow: the next property south of "chalet roof" which is also 2-storey is a distinctive golden yellow colourC) Green arrow: the actual property where the scene was filmed. Looking at the rooms in the wing adjacent to the beach, they appear to be set on pillars so there is a gap under the building.I'm currently going through the book I have on Sunny Isles to see if any old beach shots show hints. Later I'll be getting out the Smugglers Blues ep and watching the M/Beach flying scenes closely. Even though the Tiki Bar and/or the hotel might have been demolished since the 80s, there has to be a photo somewhere, just waiting to be discovered :)

Great work, Wheldon..errr, I mean Sue! :)

After looking at the Behind the Scenes Photo's and watching the scene where Trini puts the hit on Leon, I think I came up with a possible layout of the buildings/hotels/apartments. This may or may not help us sussing out this location.Eingefügtes BildWhat do you guys think, close or no? :cool:

• Like 1

Definitely! It's how I see the layout in my mind so it's good to see it drawn out.The layout was so close to the Thunderbird, where I stayed in 2007, but the poolside apartments "wing" on the south side of the pool is shorter than the opposite wing. I found a copy of the original architect's plan of the Thunderbird in my Sunny Isles book & even then the southside wing, which contains the breakfast bar & dining room, was about half the length of the northside accomodation block. I have also found an early card of the Beachcomber which looks almost identical to the Thunderbird in design & was by the same architect if I remember correctly.Just in case anyone is interested, in my book I found this picture taken of the Chateau from the air but looking east for a change. This one was discounted from the search but its good to see it from a different angle.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7209[/ATTACH]

post-178-13892965099672_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've had another look around the area where the Thunderbird is situated - its address is 18601 Collins Ave. Its neighbour was Ocean Shore, a one storey motel where the Turnberry Isle Ocean Club is now. Until recently there was a motel called the Golden Nugget Beach resort which was at 18641 Collins Ave, just north of the Thunderbird. Sadly the G/N's location has now been taken over by another towering impersonal skyscraper - the Porsche design tower :(My thoughts are: what if the director set the different scenes of the "Leon is killed" section in various parts of the properties so he got the overall look he was after? I only put this thought out because the pool area of the golden Nugget looks like where Tubbs is sitting on a terrace. Then from the behind the scenes pictures, the building in the background might be the back of the Thunderbird & the crew have moved further down the beach when this was snapped, so they are likely to be outside of the Ocean Shore. If you watch the Leon-killed scene, there are definite cuts when C&T walk away from the pool, the camera angle is already by the Tiki bar's walkway. Although there is a low, distant shot of Leon from across the bar (supposedly from Tubb's viewpoint), you never see Leon's viewpoint looking back the other way over the whole pool area.I have found some remaining photos of the Golden Nugget beach because google maps hasn't been updated and some shots remain of it also on hotel room sites. [ATTACH=CONFIG]7210[/ATTACH]On the map I have marked all three hotels/motels. With the blue cross I have marked the possible location for Tubbs at the Golden Nugget, while the green arrow is where I think they might have taken a shot of the rear of the Thunderbird (there are rooms along there as I stayed in one of them)[ATTACH=CONFIG]7211[/ATTACH]There is a white railing around the Golden Nugget pool and there are steps with railing going into the pool in the correct corner. The tiles are pinky-red also. (The silver railing going into the pool is visible in the online pic, just didn't show well enough on my screen cap)[ATTACH=CONFIG]7212[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7213[/ATTACH]Maybe I'm way out on this, guys, (which is highly likely lol) but if it is credible then we need to find out what that chalet-roofed building was to confirm this.

post-178-13892965100714_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965101114_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965101337_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965102133_thumb.jpg