Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Sue, I think you might be on to something with shooting taking place at 2 different locations. Possibly Camera "A" team shot at one hotel and Camera "B" team set up and shot at the other. C&T shuttle back in forth between the 2 setups. The locations would have to be relatively close to each other, as it was typical in their filming of the show. Take a look at these 2 screen caps. I noticed the fences in the background are different. One is a high wooden privacy fence, the other just a white, waste high dividing fence made of possibly aluminum. Also of note, in the "Fence 2" picture why don't we see the tables with the umbrellas in the back ground, surely they would be visible from that camera angle, yes?Fence 1Eingefügtes BildFence 2Eingefügtes Bild

Glad you saw the fences too. I began to get confused with which way C&T were walking & as I had to go visit family today, I was going to watch the scene again tonight. BTW I tried to crop & enlarge the bar menu for any hints but it was unreadable. The poster behind Leon as C&T stand either side of him at the bar, just says Cocktails and Daiquiris.If you view the scene, pausing a lot as you go, you begin to wonder where "Trini in drag" is sitting at the start compared to Tubbs and Leon, plus Leon is at the far end of the bar on the beachside (to the south) when Trini comes around the corner yet C&T find him shot at the northern beachside end, propped up. Yes, I'm being picky but Crockett left the OCB to meet Leon after the phone call yet Trini beat him there, had ordered a drink which he was sipping AND threw on a dress & high heels ... but did he wait around in drag ready for the moment to get Leon? He must have been related to Superman to change & get there so quickly!I'm pleased that you think the idea of several close locations is feasible. We just need to find that slope-roof place so I'll be looking carefully through the books I have on Sunny Isles and Surfside.

Great work guys. On my next trip to the Magic City and area I should have some real possibilities to check out on the ground. By the way, got another email from C Glide. He has been really busy with work but said he will be back as soon as possible.

Great work guys. On my next trip to the Magic City and area I should have some real possibilities to check out on the ground. By the way' date=' got another email from C Glide. He has been really busy with work but said he will be back as soon as possible.[/quote']That's good to know about C Glide - thanks Jim :D

I have a cold case location question. It's not from Vice but it's another Miami movie location. Here's a link to a screenshot from The Godfather Part IIhttp://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g360/Vancatu/vlcsnap-2011-03-08-19h30m48s24.pngIt's the street where Hyman Roth's house is in the film. Does anyone recognise it or have any idea where it might be? Thanks. And Matt5, I know it's a great pic so there's no need to point it out. thanks.

I have a cold case location question. It's not from Vice but it's another Miami movie location. Here's a link to a screenshot from The Godfather Part IIhttp://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g360/Vancatu/vlcsnap-2011-03-08-19h30m48s24.pngIt's the street where Hyman Roth's house is in the film. Does anyone recognise it or have any idea where it might be? Thanks. And Matt5' date=' I know it's a great pic so there's no need to point it out. thanks.[/quote']Could be just about anywhere but the color of the street and the little round stones around the edges of the yard make me think of Palm and Hibiscus Island or maybe Sunset Is 3 or 4. I suggest you scan those neighborhoods.

• 3 weeks later...

The famous Plymouth Hotel on 21st Street was never seen in Miami Vice was it ? I cant recall - I believe it was in a background shot in "Over the Line" but cant confirm with my records as 326 21s5 appears to be next door to The Plymouth The other query I have is in "Freefall" after the Ship of Fools montage of Miami there is a meeting of Baker , C &T at The Biltmore ( that is the establishing shot ) however it appears to the upper lobby of The Alexander Hotel - not confirmed what does everybody think ? http://farm4.hv-static.flickr.com/3174/2981844679_bf996d4bf6_m.jpg:D

you´re right on both. BTW: We already agreed last year in the location thread on the Alexander interior in Freefall.

Thanks Tom couldnt remember if I pointed it out - there is no thread for "Freefall" locations ?:D

CC9-A: The party house from Rites of Passage. CC9-B is solved. That was the hi-rise condo at the Palace found by Pink Flaming0. #210Traynor's house in Rites of passage is worth a shot. It's similar to the Evan house on Sunset Island 2 but is located at the end of a circled drive. Interesting that we did not find it so far.#219Front view of the Traynor House (possible circular driveway) notice the steps up to the front door (Key Biscayne house?) something interesting here though' date=' the house seems to have lots of trees and shrubbery around it, giving it a secluded look and feeling.#223I watched the episode again and it won't be easy. To keep us organized I am going to assign this the title of Cold Case 9. Then divide it into CC9-A and CC9-B based on the party house and the Apartment being two different locations. Lets say the party house is CC9-A and the apartment is CC9-B. It may seem like we are missing CC8 but I will get back to that.#227CC9-A: I also noticed that the party house has a fireplace. Very rare in Miami even in high end homes. May help confirm the house from above when combined with the driveway.#238From the interior shots at the party, Tubbs sees Valerie's sister by the upstairs balcony so we also know we are looking for a two-storied house. Outside, there are also about 5 or 6 steps up to the front door with three very tall palm trees to the lefthandside of them. These can be seen in the screencap with C&T walking up the steps.#240The whole front yard is heavily and deeply covered with vegetation. So much that you cannot see out to the street even when making the picture light..COLOR']

Just thought I'd look through some old cold cases - and I've been having a look around Hibiscus Island & Palm Island especially at the curving ends which may give us the curving driveway. On Hibiscus I've noticed there is at least one house with steps up to the front door (although I know this isn't the one we're looking for). I've found a curving driveway from 1987 for a still-standing house which has a chimney. I think the front has been added in recent years over the former driveway. I've marked the house with red cross on both pics. I thought I'd post it to see what the other sleuths think:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7382[/ATTACH]

post-178-13892965180143_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892965180633_thumb.jpg

Sue, ref you post, looks possible.Hope everyone had a good New Years.Ref the Trini kills Leon scene from the Pilot. Found this old postcard of Sunny Isles Beach, probably from the 50s or so, no beach. The only motel left is the Monaco, now the Travelodge Monaco Beach Resort, at 17501 Collins Ave. After checking Google Earth I think it can be seen on the postcard as the fifth? from the bottom with the closed end on the ocean side. Not sure if it's helpful but thought I would post it anyway.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7399[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965188605_thumb.jpg

7399[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting, Jim. I stayed in the Monaco's sister hotel in 2007, the Thunderbird, which is just north of here in Sunny Isles. I'll have a look at this against our "evidence" so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Ref the Trini kills Leon scene from the Pilot, here are two old postcards. To me they look similar in style etc to the location we are looking for and shows this is probably the right area. I think the beach was expanded once again after these old photos were taken. It certainly is pretty wide these days. The first shows the motel at 15645 Collins Ave from 1958:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7437[/ATTACH]This is the Magic City Motel, 16875 Collins Ave. Sunny Isles: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7438[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965201892_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965202708_thumb.jpg

7437[/ATTACH]This is the Magic City Motel, 16875 Collins Ave. Sunny Isles: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7438[/ATTACH]

I have been looking on historic aerials and have a few ideas but nothing concrete enough to be worth posting yet. Will continue to look but I am also working on God's Work.

Were these shops or one of the shops ever seen in an episode of MV - I do believe they were in one episode just opposite where Lincoln Road meets Washington Avenue at around 1665 Washington :Dhttps://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lincoln+road+miami+beach&ll=25.791429,-80.131896&spn=0.009969,0.018475&hnear=Lincoln+Rd,+Miami+Beach,+Florida+33139,+United+States&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=25.791219,-80.131906&panoid=jek3pA1sco0awFQqkmzDKA&cbp=12,131.57,,0,4.27:D

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Quite possibly Matt, but I don't know what episode. Any indication of the scene, episode, or season?Ref. the Trini kills Leon scene from the Pilot. Reading the posts it looks like the Chateau Motel has pretty much been ruled out but I found this old postcard of the Chateau from 1958. Don't think it has been seen before.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7471[/ATTACH]

post-16-1389296524292_thumb.jpg

7471[/ATTACH]

Great info Jim and photo .:thumbsup:Im sure those little shops on Washington / Lincoln were seen somewhere - cant picture the episode though Jim :D

Ref the Trini kills Leon scene from the Pilot, here is a link to numerous Sunny Isles aerials. You must be on Facebook to see them but I think most of you detectives are members. They are part of Alvin Lederer's great collection of Fla photos.https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2847525635839.2151982.1490376433&type=3