Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

• 1 month later...

I thought the Brother's Keeper scene may have been filmed here but on closer inspection it appears it was not. looks a lot like it though.

post-101-13892965560514_thumb.jpg

post-101-13892965560848_thumb.jpg

post-101-13892965561071_thumb.jpg

post-101-13892965586352_thumb.jpg

Good effort. You never know. We, as a team, have found sites I though would never be located in a million years. C_Glide's work is amazing. At the recent Paris convention Ell.a showed screen caps of several mystery locations including the Pilot beach scene to Michael Talbott, Saundra Santiago, and John Dehl in hopes that they would remember where they were filmed. They are great folks, friendly, funny etc and did the best they could to remember but unfortunately the Fab Three wasn't very helpful. Michael said the Pilot beach shot was at the same location as the shot when he jumped over the bar to chase a guy running away with a suitcase. When Ell.a passed this on I thought this might be the key to the pilot location. That scene was from the Great McCarthy but when I compared the scenes, nothing matched. It is easy to understand why Michael though they were the same locations. They are both on the beach side of hotels with a wooden pavilion as a bar etc. The Great McCarthy scene was filmed on Key Biscayne, which is where I think the Pilot scene was shot. This is a clue, Michael might be right about Key Biscayne. He said he was there when this Pilot scene was filmed. Unfortunately most of those old hotels have been replaced. Old photos or postcards may be the only hope of finding the spot. Saundra said she thought the Pilot scene was filmed on South Beach but it doesn't look like SoBe to me. Many thanks for the effort to the Fab Three and to Ell.a. Wish I could have met them myself.

Good effort. You never know. We' date=' as a team, have found sites I though would never be located in a million years. C_Glide's work is amazing. At the recent Paris convention Ell.a showed screen caps of several mystery locations including the Pilot beach scene to Michael Talbott, Saundra Santiago, and John Dehl in hopes that they would remember where they were filmed. They are great folks, friendly, funny etc and did the best they could to remember but unfortunately the Fab Three wasn't very helpful. Michael said the Pilot beach shot was at the same location as the shot when he jumped over the bar to chase a guy running away with a suitcase. When Ell.a passed this on I thought this might be the key to the pilot location. That scene was from the Great McCarthy but when I compared the scenes, nothing matched. It is easy to understand why Michael though they were the same locations. They are both on the beach side of hotels with a wooden pavilion as a bar etc. The Great McCarthy scene was filmed on Key Biscayne, which is where I think the Pilot scene was shot. This is a clue, Michael might be right about Key Biscayne. He said he was there when this Pilot scene was filmed. Unfortunately most of those old hotels have been replaced. Old photos or postcards may be the only hope of finding the spot. Saundra said she thought the Pilot scene was filmed on South Beach but it doesn't look like SoBe to me. Many thanks for the effort to the Fab Three and to Ell.a. Wish I could have met them myself.[/quote']That's great info - maybe it was Key Biscayne pre Ritz Carlton . Did they film on Key Biscayne for any other scenes in the Pilot? as I know Caroline's / Scottys house was located on 51st but in Miami .Wow that Thunderbird Motel did look like the place !:thumbsup::D

Good info. Thanks Jim! Yes, the Thunderbird is very, very close but the building next to it, not so much. If you go back in this thread (pg. 66) and look at my screen caps there are some clues we have yet to use to help find this location.

BREAKING NEWS!!! Though the search for the tiki bar continues, I have other great news. While work on Baseballs of Death took me on to Historic aerials to track down a location I was bitten by the old hunch bug that side tracked me to look into a hunch I had had for a while. I started along the metro rail in the suspect area and within minutes, after all these years, I had found it. Hackman's hide out from Deliver Us From Evil. YEAH!I posted pics on Facebook and will copy them below:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildYellow arrow points to radio tower seen in bg. Red is Blatt's approach. Green is C+T's location. Blue arrow is escape route.

OUTSTANDING, Great find Charlie!! You simply amaze me with your work to find these location. In the screen cap of Blaat walking up to the building, I always felt like what we thought was a road in the background could possibly be the rail for the metro. It was and You nailed it! :thumbsup: :klatsch:

Looking at Google Earth, that location is now the City of Miami's Parks and Recreation Operations Division.

Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildYellow arrow points to radio tower seen in bg. Red is Blatt's approach. Green is C+T's location. Blue arrow is escape route.

Fantastic work !!:D

Looking at Google Earth' date=' that location is now the City of Miami's Parks and Recreation Operations Division.[/quote']That makes me think even more that it had been an old central fire station as the city would have owned the property and then decided to turn it over to parks.. when the fd was not using it any longer. I bet we can now research the building of the park facility and maybe come up with some historic photos of the old building.

BTW slightly off topic, but I also found the baseballs of Death location I orginally was looking for. As C+T are waiting for Guerrero "outside 46 Star Island" I knew they were not on Star Island. With some help from a street sign in the bg I found they were by the studio, They were on the street that runs along the south side of the studio but 1 block west at 14th Ave. Then it jumps to Star Island as they pull into 46.

So far I found the building in the upper right corner is City of Miami Fire and Rescue Station 5Which is on the corner of NW 20th St. and NW 12th Ave. The building in question has so far come up blank.

So far I found the building in the upper right corner is City of Miami Fire and Rescue Station 5Which is on the corner of NW 20th St. and NW 12th Ave. The building in question has so far come up blank.

Great info and great find :thumbsup::D

• 2 weeks later...

Still amazed that Charlie found Hackman's hideout. I was looking in the Everglades along Hwy 41 :pRef the Pilot's beach scene, here are four very early and rare (probably from the 50s) beach hotel photos from Key Biscayne. Key Biscayne is a real possibility for the filming location. They don't look like the hotels in the scene but they could be useful, with other sources, for building a picture of hotel development along that beach. 1. Down the beach is the Sonesta Beach Hotel next to the Royal Biscayne:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7994[/ATTACH]2. Royal Biscayne:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7995[/ATTACH]3. Key Biscayne:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7996[/ATTACH]4. Lighthouse is down the beach:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7997[/ATTACH]

post-16-13892965616427_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965617957_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965618882_thumb.jpg

post-16-13892965619952_thumb.jpg

Great pictures. I am however fairly doubtfull that this was filmed on KB. I have gone back and forth on this over the years a few times but yesterday I was looking at historic aerials just for this scene. I was caught up at work so borrowed some time to scan the coast. I see nothing on KB that could be our locale. I never close anything off completely as a possibility until we find the right spot but I am looking up the coast. I scanned from about my old house in Ft Lauderdale all the way down to South Pointe. I used the 1986 shot as it is much clearer. I see 4 or 5 locales that have some potential but nothing that really makes me think that I have any strong leads. This locale is really a mystery, and being from the Pilot, it has been worked on probably more than any other.

7994[/ATTACH]2. Royal Biscayne:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7995[/ATTACH]3. Key Biscayne:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7996[/ATTACH]4. Lighthouse is down the beach:[ATTACH=CONFIG]7997[/ATTACH]

Brillant - Jim - I think Key Biscayne and the pre Ritz Carlton site could be a real possibility ...:thumbsup::D

Great photos Jim. Some of those photos (judging by the vehicles) could possibly be early 60's ? When you look at the historical maps site (1986) I don't see anything that looks close to what we see in this photo on Key Biscayne.Eingefügtes Bild

Great photos Jim. Some of those photos (judging by the vehicles) could possibly be early 60's ? When you look at the historical maps site (1986) I don't see anything that looks close to what we see in this photo on Key Biscayne.Eingefügtes Bild

Good point - my this location is really proving so difficult for all of us :thumbsup::D

The beach itself is wide and straight plus there are what look like private residences with access onto the beach. For me, I still have the feeling it is between Surfside and Sunny Isles. I've got a book on surfside & I will look through it today again to see if there are any possibles

I've been looking around 92nd St north to 96th St.(A1A) on the historical maps website, seems to be some prospects there. I keep switching back and forth from 86' view to 80' view just be sure nothing had changed. :radar::D