What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

That bass sequence sounds a lot like it came out of a Memory Moog, like the one Jan Hammer used for his early scores. :thumbsup:

For example if you compare it to the original cue verson of Jan Hammer's "Candy".

Dave Stewart definitely used Moogs in the early to mid 80s, and you can see it in some Eurythmics videos from that time.

Edited by Daytona74

11 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

That bass sequence sounds a lot like it came out of a Memory Moog, like the one Jan Hammer used for his early scores. :thumbsup:

For example if you compare it to the original cue verson of Jan Hammer's "Candy".

Dave Stewart definitely used Moogs in the early to mid 80s, and you can see it in some Eurythmics videos from that time.

Good observation! Very well could've been the Memorymoog on that Eurythmics tune. I always thought the bass on Candy came from the Jupiter 8 since the notes are coming from a random arpeggietor. It could've been the Jupe controlling the MM, though. 

JH cues with random arp basses and strings always make me think of the Jupiter 8 because of the "split" function that would have been so convenient for those sounds to be performed/recorded simultaneously--songs like Crockett's Theme, Robbie's Theme, and Candy. This is all TOTAL speculation, though. :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Good observation! Very well could've been the Memorymoog on that Eurythmics tune. I always thought the bass on Candy came from the Jupiter 8 since the notes are coming from a random arpeggietor. It could've been the Jupe controlling the MM, though. 

JH cues with random arp basses and strings always make me think of the Jupiter 8 because of the "split" function that would have been so convenient for those sounds to be performed/recorded simultaneously--songs like Crockett's Theme, Robbie's Theme, and Candy. This is all TOTAL speculation, though. :) 

Nice tune !

• Administrators
On 2017-5-15 at 6:36 AM, summer84 said:

:happy: :radio:

I love this one. My favourite DJ song. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, James said:

I love this one. My favourite DJ song. 

Yeah it's a great song. My favorite is "Streetwise," (probably because I like the uptempo sound and it's a little sassy) which wasn't released on the 1986 and 1989 album. The girl in the video looks a bit like Jennifer Connelly, she did appear on some music videos, though isn't credited on this one, but whoever it is, that's one lucky girl. :)

• Like 1

Every summer I end up on and '80's kick.  (Graduated High School in '87, married my high school crush 18 years later and a first marriage ago...).   This one started in early Spring.  Probably cause I'm rewatching the entire series (again).  It could last until at least October.

Anyway, on the XM in the truck it's 80's on 8, Hair Nation, and Classic Rewind, with a good bit of Margaritaville and Classic Vinyl mixed in.

On Spotify, I've got a 130+ song playlist called "Vice."  Got all the Jan Hammer from Escape from Television and Miami Vice the Complete Collection, a bunch of songs used in the series based on lists here on the forum (thank you), and some other '80's favorites from Missing Persons, Berlin, Sade, Corey Hart, Terrence Trent D'Arby, Billy Ocean, some Don Johnson, etc.  Added a few at the end from Beverly Hills Cop, specifically, "The Heat is on," "Axel F', and "Shakedown."  

Also got a playlist with a bunch of Tom Jones, some Engelbert Humperdinck, (the 3 year old walks around singing "Quando Quando Quando), some Herb Alpert, and a few from Roger Whittaker at the end.  Kind of a swanky 70's groove from when I'm tooling around in my terry romper leisure suit, with my Glock 43 in a Thunderwear rig.  (Just kidding...   Sort of.)

• Like 2

Marco....keep teaching your 3 yr. old to appreciate good music!  Because music is older than we are doesn't make it bad. If music is good it will be around forever......music by Bach, Mozart, Sinatra, Tom Jones, Eagles, Beatles etc. has affected many people's lives and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Marco....keep teaching your 3 yr. old to appreciate good music!  Because music is older than we are doesn't make it bad. If music is good it will be around forever......music by Bach, Mozart, Sinatra, Tom Jones, Eagles, Beatles etc. has affected many people's lives and will continue to do so.

Exactly! "Because music is older than we are doesn't make it bad." I can't stand some people of this younger generation (Not the one I'm apart of, but the generations after me) - Automatically come to the conclusion that because it's old, it's trash. You don't have to listen to whatever is trendy at the moment, listen to what you get the most joy out of. "Make your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along". 

As I like to say - Music is like a fine alcohol, it doesn't get old, it ages and gets better with age (so people say...).

My Dad used to play golden oldies all the time when I was a kid, I actually couldn't stand it funnily enough. Eventually when I turned 15, a year before I first watched Miami Vice - I grown to like the oldies, at that point I started to fade away from the new stuff, maybe realising how crap it was.  Started to build up my collection which now after 8 years has over 5,000 songs pre-millennium. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, James said:

Exactly! "Because music is older than we are doesn't make it bad." I can't stand some people of this younger generation (Not the one I'm apart of, but the generations after me) - Automatically come to the conclusion that because it's old, it's trash. You don't have to listen to whatever is trendy at the moment, listen to what you get the most joy out of. "Make your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along". 

As I like to say - Music is like a fine alcohol, it doesn't get old, it ages and gets better with age (so people say...).

My Dad used to play golden oldies all the time when I was a kid, I actually couldn't stand it funnily enough. Eventually when I turned 15, a year before I first watched Miami Vice - I grown to like the oldies, at that point I started to fade away from the new stuff, maybe realising how crap it was.  Started to build up my collection which now after 8 years has over 5,000 songs pre-millennium. 

Whenever I read comments to a music video with songs from the past decades, people always write, how today's music is crap and this is also said by the younger generations. Unfortunately it's true. Still, I don't reject contemporary music, if I can find something to my liking, but if I have to dig deep for the good stuff than that says it all.

Like someone mentioned it's due to the greedy and controlling labels and I would add - their perception/idea of what sells. It's constantly nudity, sexual and outrages content in the lyrics and music videos, I'm not saying there shouldn't sometimes be room for that also, well maybe not all of it or perhaps in a more moderate degree. ;) But I like the kind of songs that are meaningful, inspiring and creative too. My mom also says good music will last and be remembered forever, the evergreens. I sometimes joke about the music nowadays - I don't know what that is, but it ain't music. :)

Wow, so you have over 5000 pre-millenium songs, that's cool. :thumbsup:

I like that quote "Make your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along". 

• Like 1

I just got ready to go out for evening and put my itunes on random:  Got to hear "Don't Stop the Dance" by Bryan Ferry and then, a couple songs later, "Rico's Blues."  Perfect start to the night. AND! I'm wearing my white jacket to a very Vice-like setting. Might even take a couple pics to post up here.

• Like 2

My favorite music genre is Rock from the 60s to the 80s. The only bands past that I really like are Oasis (mainly just them), Linkin Park, and some songs by REM and Green Day.

As far as I'm concerned, Rock was ruined by grunge. I don't wanna listen to music about feeling sorry for yourself/depressed.

Also I hate rap, apart from Linkin and POD, with a passion. I do like some pop and country.

My favorites:

Def Leppard

Guns N' Roses

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Genesis

Alice Cooper

Blue Oyster Cult

Billy Idol

Rolling Stones

Black Sabbath

The Who

Jimi Hendrix

ACDC

Foreigner

The Eagles

ZZ Top

Heart

U2

Dokken

Ratt

Bad Company

Fleetwood Mac

Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Remington said:

My favorite music genre is Rock from the 60s to the 80s. The only bands past that I really like are Oasis (mainly just them), Linkin Park, and some songs by REM and Green Day.

As far as I'm concerned, Rock was ruined by grunge. I don't wanna listen to music about feeling sorry for yourself/depressed.

Also I hate rap, apart from Linkin and POD, with a passion. I do like some pop and country.

My favorites:

Def Leppard

Guns N' Roses

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Aerosmith

Van Halen

Genesis

Alice Cooper

Blue Oyster Cult

Billy Idol

Rolling Stones

Black Sabbath

The Who

Jimi Hendrix

ACDC

Foreigner

The Eagles

ZZ Top

Heart

U2

Dokken

Ratt

Bad Company

Fleetwood Mac

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Great post !

• Like 1

Hey Matt, as much as I love Frank Sinatra....I still like Stevie Wonder's rendition, better.

I remember hearing it on the radio when Sinatra recorded this.

Some that I carelessly left out

Scorpions

Russ Ballard

Joan Jett

Deep Purple

Pink Floyd

Tom Petty

Queen

The Cars

Elton John

The Police

George Thorogood

Blondie

Steve Miller Band

Journey

Toto

Love-Hate

The Stone Roses

Peter Gabriel

Phil Collins

Ted Nugent

I don't know if I posted my list on here ( too many pages to look thru ).

This will really show my old age :p

Frank Sinatra  -  everything, here are my favorites... All the Way, N.Y., N.Y., Lady is a Tramp, My Way, Summer Wind, That's Life, Soliloquy, My Kind of Town, I Got the World on a String and.......many, many more!

Dean Martin- Sway,- That's Amore,  Tony Bennett- I Left My Heart in San. Fran.,  Andy Williams-Love Story, Willie Nelson -Always on My Mind,- On the Road Again,  The Eagles- Hotel Calif., Tequila Sunrise, Desperado.

Billy Joel - Piano Man, Honesty, N.Y. State of Mind, Just the Way You Are, You May be Right, My Life,

Neil Diamond- Sweet Caroline, Bro. Love's Salvation Show, Morningside, Play Me, I AM, I Said........

to be cont'd....

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Featured in the Season 5 episode "World of Trouble" starring Dennis Farina:hippie:

We have a CD of Gypsy Kings greatest hits and I was actually surprised to hear their music be used on Miami Vice. This genre wasn't really played on the show.