The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Here are the differences that remain between my car and the show car (not counting the details of the seat covers and the door panels). I may change out the door handles at some point' date=' but I think the other differences will just have to stay. If I ever repaint the antenna and the emblem could be corrected, but I like having the back up light and the mirror on the windshield. And I have not been able to find a McBurnie grill.[/quote']ah that's what you ment by the door handles, I was kind of wondering about that as they looked similar but yet somehow different although what do you mean by seat covers? are you going to have a crack at making the pilot seats yourself?and actually car 4 did have a reverse mirror on the dash during the pilot, a vilatoni one no less that apparently was used on alfas as wellEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Interior-Rear-View-Mirror-Vitaloni-/290701823784?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43af2dcf28&vxp=mtrhell even the mounting points on the back line up, its gotta be the same style mirror that markadian used on it and it would fit as it was used on an alfa, just like the door handles.

Took some time off today' date=' and got the Daytona "finished". Unfortunatley it was cloudy, so the pictures aren't as good as I hoped.[/quote']http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5856&stc=1&d=1335561092Hey JN,In this picture, I was curious; Is that how the dashboard looked? It kind of looks like the leather is a bit uneven, and the A/C vents on it. I'm not trying to rag on your car or nothing, but they look...different.

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5856&stc=1&d=1335561092Hey JN' date='In this picture, I was curious; Is that how the dashboard looked? It kind of looks like the leather is a bit uneven, and the A/C vents on it. I'm not trying to rag on your car or nothing, but they look...different.[/quote']The dash was something I had to fabricate, and from some angles the line across the top doesn't look straight. That is the hardest part, getting the dash fabricated and the upholstery lined up. The mold used to make the dash for the MV car no longer exists.THe AC vents on the show car were changed out and the bottom vents were re-run and tend to drop out of the dash on the floor. SO I opted to keep the existing Vette AC ducting and outlets. It needs some kind of trim around the outlet, but I haven't found anything that will work yet.If I were willing to spend $3,000 for the dash I might have gotten it closer, but even that is no gaurentee since no one wants to to the kind of custom work needed to replicate the MV dash.

The dash was something I had to fabricate' date=' and from some angles the line across the top doesn't look straight. That is the hardest part, getting the dash fabricated and the upholstery lined up. The mold used to make the dash for the MV car no longer exists.THe AC vents on the show car were changed out and the bottom vents were re-run and tend to drop out of the dash on the floor. SO I opted to keep the existing Vette AC ducting and outlets. It needs some kind of trim around the outlet, but I haven't found anything that will work yet.If I were willing to spend $3,000 for the dash I might have gotten it closer, but even that is no gaurentee since no one wants to to the kind of custom work needed to replicate the MV dash.[/quote']I see. It takes a lot to get a replica car exactly right. I've always liked the way the headlights looked but the plexiglass was always too dark for night driving. What lights did you say you put in them, and do you have a pic of how bright they are at night with the smoked plexiglass over them?I don't mean to be a bother, but I've just found your car to be so cool because you implement the more realistic Ferrari look while also giving it the MV replica look. :clap:

I see. It takes a lot to get a replica car exactly right. I've always liked the way the headlights looked but the plexiglass was always too dark for night driving. What lights did you say you put in them' date=' and do you have a pic of how bright they are at night with the smoked plexiglass over them?I don't mean to be a bother, but I've just found your car to be so cool because you implement the more realistic Ferrari look while also giving it the MV replica look. :clap:[/quote']The picture in this post is the dash from the other side. The line looks straight as can be. From the driver side I left a tiny tag of material that I thought the foam would hide. No such luck, but far too much trouble to fix right now on a car I drive every weekend.The headlights are HID and they work fine through the tinted plexi, but anything else and you might as well have a white cane in front of you at night. I used vintage style Headlight glass from YEARONE, so when they are off they look like conventional sealed beams.

post-109-13892964395341_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964396715_thumb.jpg

The picture in this post is the dash from the other side. The line looks straight as can be. From the driver side I left a tiny tag of material that I thought the foam would hide. No such luck' date=' but far too much trouble to fix right now on a car I drive every weekend.The headlights are HID and they work fine through the tinted plexi, but anything else and you might as well have a white cane in front of you at night. I used vintage style Headlight glass from YEARONE, so when they are off they look like conventional sealed beams.[/quote']Nice. How long have you been at this car?

Took some time off today' date=' and got the Daytona "finished". Unfortunatley it was cloudy, so the pictures aren't as good as I hoped.[/quote']Very nice shots JN...can you add some shots of the door panels and do you have any shots of what look you are trying to replicate on them? My doors look like this, and similar to the photo below that Kavinsky showed in a gray color. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5876[/ATTACH]

post-36-13892964398066_thumb.jpg

Also, is it hard to see under the dash when your driving? I would figure so since the gauges are so low and the corvette seats are raises up so high.

Eingefügtes BildYes was wondering if this is the look JN is trying for with the door panels or something else?

and what do you mean Cichetti Upholstery doesnt exist? I'm not sure what you mean by that and the panels on it now are a 100% rowley with a modified corvette arm rest reinforced on the ends with a normal vette door handle:Eingefügtes Bild

This is almost identical to my door panels though mine are in the tan color. Who is the manufacturer?

and Sonny actually this might help with the antenna and maybe the clock toohttp://www.calweb.com/~griffitt/MetraPowerAntenna.htmlhttp://www.calweb.com/~griffitt/Clock.html

thanks. I'll have to check into these though my power antenna mast is pretty long when extended and I need to try and replicate the same length. Not sure what length these go to.

although just make sure its rigged up for the system properly as if its not it can burn the car down if its done wrong, although I think thats primarily with the sound system not the antenna.nevermind found it, it was the corvette forum that had it, not his webpage:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2918194-1980-c3-mods-3.html

It has a power connection and then a lead from the Sony radio system that raises it when the radio is turned on and lowers it when the radio is turned off.

Here are the differences that remain between my car and the show car (not counting the details of the seat covers and the door panels). I may change out the door handles at some point' date=' but I think the other differences will just have to stay. If I ever repaint the antenna and the emblem could be corrected, but I like having the back up light and the mirror on the windshield. And I have not been able to find a McBurnie grill.[/quote']Nice shots again JN, but thought the door handles are Alfa Romeo, as I have them on mine and have seen them listed as such on numerous McBurnies for sale. The Torino key for the lock is also linked with the Alfas.

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/screenshots/pilot51.jpghttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Interior-Rear-View-Mirror-Vitaloni-/290701823784?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43af2dcf28&vxp=mtrhell even the mounting points on the back line up, its gotta be the same style mirror that markadian used on it and it would fit as it was used on an alfa, just like the door handles.

Vitaloni windshield mirror? How can you tell?

5876[/ATTACH]

The door panel is built up at the bottom and has a courtesy light. It covers the arm rest and allows the neck of the arm rest to be used to pull the door.

post-109-13892964398166_thumb.jpg

Eingefügtes BildYes was wondering if this is the look JN is trying for with the door panels or something else?This is almost identical to my door panels though mine are in the tan color. Who is the manufacturer? thanks. I'll have to check into these though my power antenna mast is pretty long when extended and I need to try and replicate the same length. Not sure what length these go to. It has a power connection and then a lead from the Sony radio system that raises it when the radio is turned on and lowers it when the radio is turned off.

Yes, I am trying to replicate the show car. The door panel in Kavinsky's pictures are very common, and the same as the ones on the Camera Car now. But I want to replicate the ones on the original Mardikian as it was on the show.

Vitaloni windshield mirror? How can you tell?

I actually think it is the GM mirror rolled inverted and pushed up out of the way for the scene. It doesn't sit nearly as high in the rest of the scenes.

Also' date=' is it hard to see under the dash when your driving? I would figure so since the gauges are so low and the corvette seats are raises up so high.[/quote']It is actually no different then when it had the standard Vette dash. The hardest thing to see are the turn signal indicators--which I could not see before.The first shot is taken just to the right of the driver's head. Gives you an idea of how the gauges look. THe second one is a comparison of one of my favorite shots from "Florence Italy".

post-109-13892964398411_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892964399801_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice shots again JN' date=' but thought the door handles are Alfa Romeo, as I have them on mine and have seen them listed as such on numerous McBurnies for sale. The Torino key for the lock is also linked with the Alfas.[/quote']I think the Fiat and Alfa door handles are the same for the spyders. Could be wrong on that, but they sure look identical.

and here is a comparison to a screen cap from "Bought and Paid For"

Wow, extremely detailed :cool: Thank you. What motor are you running off of and what is your average MPG?

I think the Fiat and Alfa door handles are the same for the spyders. Could be wrong on that' date=' but they sure look identical.[/quote']Think this is the one as I just found on Ebay under Alfa Romeo [ATTACH=CONFIG]5881[/ATTACH]

post-36-13892964402269_thumb.jpg

Think this is the one as I just found on Ebay under Alfa Romeo [ATTACH=CONFIG]5881[/ATTACH]

And here is a Fiat 2000 spyder

post-109-13892964402412_thumb.jpg

Wow' date=' extremely detailed :cool: Thank you. What motor are you running off of and what is your average MPG?[/quote']Chevrolet 350 4 barrel crate engine.Getting probably 18 mpg (but never really checked it)

5876[/ATTACH]

yeah pretty much looks like what the vice car has doorwise minus the black trim (which is actually more acurate to the actual car) and a stock corvette inner door handle

post-592-13892964402885_thumb.jpg

And here is a Fiat 2000 spyder

I know Fiat bought Alfa Romeo in the late 80s but didn't begin producing any Alfas under the Fiat label until the 90s, after the McBurnies were made. So they may have reused some of the Alfa parts such as these handles in subsequent Fiat cars as the dates were much later in production than the Alfas. Anyway, who knows but at least I now know that you can still get these handles on Ebay. I may buy a set for future use as mine are showing a slight amount of age related corrosion on one handle.

yeah pretty much looks like what the vice car has doorwise minus the black trim (which is actually more acurate to the actual car) and a stock corvette inner door handle

What car is this one?