SHOW your MV-inspired style!

squeezem3

Just now, pmconroy said:

That is cool. I wish it weren't double-breasted.

Yeah Sonny very rarely wore those. 

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

Yeah Sonny very rarely wore those. 

Did he ever? I can't think of any examples of him wearing double-breasted jackets.

2 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Did he ever? I can't think of any examples of him wearing double-breasted jackets.

Yeah. Mostly in S 3-5. He even wore some 3 buttons in season 1!

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Yeah. Mostly in S 3-5. He even wore some 3 buttons in season 1!

I seem to remember the three-button jacket, I only remember one instance of that. Seems kind of odd and too frumpy for his style. As I've said before though, the costume design wasn't very consistent in the first season as it was in the second.

Season 3-5... meh. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

S4 style for today, works great for overcast weather! 

20190614_124918.jpg

Details, please. Where did you get that jacket and shirt? What are the brand names? Sharp as hell. I live in cold weather so I have to play both sides of the seasonal color spectrum too ;)

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Absolute best look so far my friend. You literally look like you just stepped off the set. :clap:

Thank you! Quite the compliment!

41 minutes ago, Titus said:

Details, please. Where did you get that jacket and shirt? What are the brand names? Sharp as hell. I live in cold weather so I have to play both sides of the seasonal color spectrum too ;)

Thank you! The jacket is a Tasso Elba linen jacket from Macy's. The shirt is a Riscatto Portofino shirt from Italy...I've found that they make (or made) excellent S4-style shirts.

• Like 3

Thank you, Rattlehead! Keep it up. You're on a roll.

I already have a Tasso Elba light gray on the way. I'm returning the blue one because the chambray doesn't look exactly quite right to me after trying it on several times. And yes, the price at Macy's right now is insane. I didn't know they had a black one. I have to check that out, as well as the Riscatto Portofino shirt.

Tasso Elba linen jackets go off sale today at Macy's!  They are $49.99 right now, on sale from $119.

Edit:

They seem to still be on sale.  :)

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

Looks stylish for sure.  Curious what state you live in.  I have found that I am only comfortable wearing a blazer this time of year in the evenings when the cool breeze rolls in from the lake.  This is a whole new style avenue for me and I am not used to it.  :)

I did set up and order a simple Scarab logo t-shirt from customink today and I am curious if it will get rejected for copyright.  Wellcraft doesn't have any specific Scarab apparel.  No news is good news, I guess.

Edited by IA-SteveB

3 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Looks stylish for sure.  Curious what state you live in.  I have found that I am only comfortable wearing a blazer this time of year in the evenings when the cool breeze rolls in from the lake.  This is a whole new style avenue for me and I am not used to it.  :)

Good question.  I live in a beach community and no one wears jackets like this casually, for business, maybe.  I don't wear any type of coat or jacket most of the year because of the mild climate.  I don't get cold a lot and wearing a jacket makes me too warm unless it is cold outside.  I'm in Long Beach CA and 9-10 months of the year I wear shorts and a button up shirt.  I'd say 90% of the time the temperature is somewhere between 55 and 75 degrees here, that's day and night all year, and I've lived here almost 25 years.  It's currently noon and 70 degrees and sunny.  High of 71, low of 62 today and pretty much all week.  No jacket necessary!

I just finished reading Professor Steven Sanders book on Miami Vice.  It's a very interesting read with a lot of literary analysis.  Anyway, not to burst anyone bubble, but he references an actual Miami officer in one of the footnotes who said the vice cops never wore jackets because it was too hot.  They hid their guns under their pants in ankle holsters.  There's also a reference to how small the vice budget was in the 80's, even in the midst of the cocaine influx.  I believe there were only about two dozen officers total.  That seems so small given the amount of drugs being moved. 

• Like 2

@IA-SteveB @pahonu I actually live in Southern California! I prefer linen jackets for daytime - I have jackets made of synthetic materials I'd like to incorporate into my Vice wardrobe but they're too hot during the day! 

Here's a recreation of an outfit from The Home Invaders. I've been out all day!

20190619_223329.jpg

6694c9a00994ad549447de89ec341f74.png

Edited by Rattlehead
  • Like 7

On 6/19/2019 at 1:48 PM, pahonu said:

Good question.  I live in a beach community and no one wears jackets like this casually, for business, maybe.  I don't wear any type of coat or jacket most of the year because of the mild climate.  I don't get cold a lot and wearing a jacket makes me too warm unless it is cold outside.  I'm in Long Beach CA and 9-10 months of the year I wear shorts and a button up shirt.  I'd say 90% of the time the temperature is somewhere between 55 and 75 degrees here, that's day and night all year, and I've lived here almost 25 years.  It's currently noon and 70 degrees and sunny.  High of 71, low of 62 today and pretty much all week.  No jacket necessary!

I just finished reading Professor Steven Sanders book on Miami Vice.  It's a very interesting read with a lot of literary analysis.  Anyway, not to burst anyone bubble, but he references an actual Miami officer in one of the footnotes who said the vice cops never wore jackets because it was too hot.  They hid their guns under their pants in ankle holsters.  There's also a reference to how small the vice budget was in the 80's, even in the midst of the cocaine influx.  I believe there were only about two dozen officers total.  That seems so small given the amount of drugs being moved. 

Sanders' book is actually one of the best analyses of Vice I've ever seen. The other quote he had was that the cost of a single Vice episode was more than the budget of the actual vice squad for a single year.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, IA-SteveB said:

Tasso Elba linen jackets go off sale today at Macy's!  They are $49.99 right now, on sale from $119.

Edit:

They seem to still be on sale.  :)

I got a couple of these, and the quality is (sadly) so-so. One in gray and one in black. I still prefer my white Ralph Lauren blazer, though it's fully-lined.

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Sanders' book is actually one of the best analyses of Vice I've ever seen. The other quote he had was that the cost of a single Vice episode was more than the budget of the actual vice squad for a single year.

I recall that too.  I agree, it's a great analysis.

20 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I got a couple of these, and the quality is (sadly) so-so. One in gray and one in black. I still prefer my white Ralph Lauren blazer, though it's fully-lined.

Yeah, they aren't designer but for how often I will wear them they will be fine.  The quality is pretty inconsistent.  My grey one is fine but the black one has a malformed shoulder that isn't a show stopper but i do notice things like that. It is what comes with being a budget Crockett.  Lol.  My brand of preference is the Murano line at Dillards.

At this point I am just trying to figure out a new way of style and I will hit bumps in the road.

Edited by IA-SteveB

30 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

Yeah, they aren't designer but for how often I will wear them they will be fine.  The quality is pretty inconsistent.  My grey one is fine but the black one has a malformed shoulder that isn't a show stopper but i do notice things like that. It is what comes with being a budget Crockett.  Lol.  My brand of preference is the Murano line at Dillards.

At this point I am just trying to figure out a new way of style and I will hit bumps in the road.

If you’re like me and prefer the very unconstructed, thin style (best for the summer heat anyway) look for J. Crew Ludlow blazers. It’s my favorite line of blazers, they hit all the right points. Get some cotton or linen ones and you’ll be all set. I guarantee you’ll like them.

Heres today’s look in this pic. It’s very similar to the look from Whatever Works (S2E2).

90407D1C-911C-40DA-A8E9-B8192FC8400A.jpeg5PztQvT.jpg

Edited by pmconroy
Forgive the edit. I just wanted to include a screenshot since it is a look that only appears for a short period of the episode. Also, it's S2E3.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1