Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Good link Sue. It has lots of other links and info I can use as source material for my writing project.

I just found a picture of the south side of the Ram Rod. Anyone want to see it?

I know what your thinking... just show us the picture wiseguy. Well here it is, the south side of the Ram Rod, probably.:Eingefügtes BildYou are likely scratching your head and saying he has reall lost it or what is he talking about? Well I was studying the alley way and area along with the episode to determine if I could confirm that the alley Pinkflaming0 pointed out was where they parked. Along the way I realized that if it were the alley then the building at approximately 50 Washington Ave would likely be the RamRod and we not only had pictures of the south side but that would mean that if the fat guy really ran to the north then Tubbs would have tackled him near the building just north of the RamRod which we then would have a picture of from the gunfight at night outside Ramano's and if it really was the Ram Rod then the building seen in the bg of Tubbs' tackle and the building seen in the bg of the night time shoot out at Vic's place should be the same building and therefore match up. And guess what they do!Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildIf you look thru the broken rear window and then at above the car at the pattern on the building they clearly match up. Can't belive I did not catch this earlier.Eingefügtes BildThe more I look at it the more sense it makes and the more I wonder why I did not connect it earlier.
  • Like 1

I know what your thinking... just show us the picture wiseguy. Well here it is" data-date=" the south side of the Ram Rod, probably.:[IMG">

http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/wpimages/wp4bf17941.pngYou are likely scratching your head and saying he has reall lost it or what is he talking about? Well I was studying the alley way and area along with the episode to determine if I could confirm that the alley Pinkflaming0 pointed out was where they parked. Along the way I realized that if it were the alley then the building at approximately 50 Washington Ave would likely be the RamRod and we not only had pictures of the south side but that would mean that if the fat guy really ran to the north then Tubbs would have tackled him near the building just north of the RamRod which we then would have a picture of from the gunfight at night outside Ramano's and if it really was the Ram Rod then the building seen in the bg of Tubbs' tackle and the building seen in the bg of the night time shoot out at Vic's place should be the same building and therefore match up. And guess what they do!Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildIf you look thru the broken rear window and then at above the car at the pattern on the building they clearly match up. Can't belive I did not catch this earlier.Eingefügtes BildThe more I look at it the more sense it makes and the more I wonder why I did not connect it earlier.

Excellent find !!:thumbsup:So the alley was as pink flamingo said - the vents were likely from JOes? They would have used the alley nearer the top of Washington Avenue wouldnt they to get out at The Ramrod between Commerce and 1st St.The location was around 50 Washington Avenue . Great:D

Excellent find !!:thumbsup:So the alley was as pink flamingo said - the vents were likely from JOes? They would have used the alley nearer the top of Washington Avenue wouldnt they to get out at The Ramrod between Commerce and 1st St.The location was around 50 Washington Avenue . Great:D

Hard to believe that Romano met with his hooker girlfriend in the hot sheet motel just across the street from his apartment where he lived with his wife!That is an unbelievable find given where we searched before (Hialeah!)the only thing I don't get: how did they hide the Ramrod in the background of the attack scenes at Romano's place? During the attack the camera pans on the hit car. I gotta watch the ep again to believe that the Ramrod was in front of our noses all along!this is also an example of great location management and camerizing. 99% of all locations used were on one stretch of Washintgon Ave between 1040 and 41, but they created the impression of very diverse surroundings and topped that with the Ramrod and Romano's apartment being literally next to each other! What only bugs me is why they travelled with the crew to the Wachovia building in downtown Miami just for these 2 small scenes with Crockett/Tubbs staring at the BoA tower and Romano talking Carla into helping Crockett and Tubbs! Was is just for the great night time view on the tower? the shows shot before and after Streetwise (Down for the count parts 1 and 2) do not contain any downtown locations either that would have justified that location jumping for the remaining 1% of locations.

Now it is time to adapt the location page for Streetwise on your terrific site, CGlide and create a map that shows exactly where the alley scene, the Ramrod and Romano's were located! thank god that someone had the idea to capture old aerials on a site, otherwise we would have never found these gone locations after all the Portofino development in this area!

Now it is time to adapt the location page for Streetwise on your terrific site' date=' CGlide and create a map that shows exactly where the alley scene, the Ramrod and Romano's were located! thank god that someone had the idea to capture old aerials on a site, otherwise we would have never found these gone locations after all the Portofino development in this area![/quote']Excellent news, CGlide!! If only more photos had been taken of the area below 5th before they came in and demolished it. At least with the aerial pictures it helps a lot though.

I put a quick graphic together of a birds eye view of Ramano's neighborhood. I think that the offset road seen in the distance maybe the piece needed to fid this place: Eingefügtes Bild

So this is the Ramrod on the left! :thumbsup:

Holy Moly Batman!! Great job by everyone involved, this was one tough case to solve! :DI totally agree, the Historic Aerial website has been a huge help solving some of these cases and the great thing is, they continue to update and improve their site. As Jeremy pointed out , when you look through the broken rear window of the car the building across the street certainly matches the building seen at the spot of "Fat Guy tackle" :) There is a small piece of trim or border just above and below the window frames that match up perfectly in both shots. Again, great job everyone!! :clap::clap:

I'm not 100% sure this correct but this is what I came up with so far. I'm sure Jeremy will put together a better location map. :daumenrauf: :DEingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure this correct but this is what I came up with so far. I'm sure Jeremy will put together a better location map. :daumenrauf: :DEingefügtes Bild

Good map. Now all we need is a photo of the building to 100% confirm it. I suspect the address would have been 50 Washington Avenue.

Fantastic work everyone- really matches. :clap::shout::thumbsup: My only concern is that the Ramrod in the ep does not appear to be as tall as the building in the aerial. Sue has the aerial building listed as five stories and it looks the same to me. But it could just be the camera angle. Funny that Romano was seeing his girlfriend right across the street. Those aerial photos are great. I will send an aerial photo of the building to the MDPL to see if they find the name of the apartment or hotel. I'm still a little surprised that Mr. Neon was so far off. Time does funny things to your memory. I would bet that he had a large neon decorating project about where the Airline was on Palm. Anyone have an idea what it was?

Fantastic work everyone- really matches. :clap::shout::thumbsup: My only concern is that the Ramrod in the ep does not appear to be as tall as the building in the aerial. Sue has the aerial building listed as five stories and it looks the same to me. But it could just be the camera angle. Funny that Romano was seeing his girlfriend right across the street. Those aerial photos are great. I will send an aerial photo of the building to the MDPL to see if they find the name of the apartment or hotel. I'm still a little surprised that Mr. Neon was so far off. Time does funny things to your memory. I would bet that he had a large neon decorating project about where the Airline was on Palm. Anyone have an idea what it was?

Jim, if you look at "RamRod" building from the south side it has 5 window across per floor and is 3 windows tall, this would indicate to me that there is 3 floors, with an elevator shaft or stairwell in the middle. I agree, looking at this building the shadows tell us the sun is in the southwest position and along with the camera angle it certainly does cast an illusion of possibly having more floors/stories. I was also looking at the building by the Dog Track that Jeremy pointed to as possibly being the RamRod and it shows as a 2 story building, which we know cannot be correct because screen caps from the episode show the RamRod as a 3 story building. :D

Great so the pull up the alley up to the edge of Washington Ave - nice:D

Jim, it wasn't my drawing - it was one I found which CGlide did a while ago & I reposted it to show the locations today. I was in fact going through the recent long post on outstanding cases as I am hoping to spend an evening doing some location spotting. Who knows, it might be a lucky day

Great so the pull up the alley up to the edge of Washington Ave - nice:D

All the buildings on that block where the ramrod was located on that side of Washington ave have all gone and been replaced with nothing except a parking lotWonder when the ramrod went ?:D

Side note: I took this picture back in September 2008 during the filming of Bad Breaks. Episode 25 of Burn Notice. I of course was unaware of the great Vice significace of the location at the time. I was standing in front of Ramano's place and my shot would have included the Ram Rod had it still existed. The lot where it stood was being used that day and the next as a staging area for Burn Notice. These trailers you see here are for equipment, props, wardrobe and of course the stars.Eingefügtes Bild

Good map. Now all we need is a photo of the building to 100% confirm it. I suspect the address would have been 50 Washington Avenue.

I've been googling again & I have found an advert dating back to October 1927 for rooms at a new hotel at 56 Washington Ave which was called St David Court:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6323[/ATTACH]This might have been the original name of the Ramrod or its neighbour. Had a look for photos but as yet, nothing.

post-178-13892964642442_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've been googling again & I have found an advert dating back to October 1927 for rooms at a new hotel at 56 Washington Ave which was called St David Court:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6323[/ATTACH]This might have been the original name of the Ramrod or its neighbour. Had a look for photos but as yet' date=' nothing.[/quote']Very cool find. Must have been a classy place with hot water and all. I too will see what I can dig up.

Very cool find. Must have been a classy place with hot water and all. I too will see what I can dig up.

Found this: V. B. Granat' date=' owner of the St. David Court Apartment-Hotel at 56 Washington Avenue[/b']

For several years prior to the 1929 opening of Miami Beach's first Jewish house of worship, Temple Beth Jacob on 311 Washington Avenue, services were held at the Granat family owned David Court Hotel, at 56 Washington Avenue.