Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

For some reason this looks like the view of the Courtyard and Grand Bay in Dinner Key' date=' possibly shooting from Coconut Grove? Oak Ave?[/quote']Sorry Pink, I didn't read your post before replying just now on this thread. Maybe we should concentrate on Coconut Grove after all. Fingers crossed we're on the right path!!

We know allot more than that. Check out my post # 377 and 378.[/SIZE">
Thanks Jeremy' date=' That helps fill in some of the blanks. [b']RECAP:Romano home. This looks like the beach and for a while I just kinda put off the number on the residence as a prop or apartment number but it may actually be the real number. It may even be Hialeah near the Airline Hotel. It is on a unique street design. At a T intersection where the street that would be the long leg of the T does not continue straight in the distant background. It appears to go down a block hits another cross street but instead of going straight across it is offset about 10 yards to the left before it continues straight away. So if you drove down the street you would have to take a left and then immediate right instead of just going straight across. This occurs in some places on the beach and the mainland but is semi rare narrowing down where it could be. I see that Palm Ave is a divider in Hialeah with a 1st Ave on each side. I have not found an appropriate street mid block though. There is a high rise visible in the distant background. A reflection on the front of the Testarossa reveals the building on the corner to the front of the car is likely 5 stories tall.The street leading away from Romano's house is very likely an east-west road and we are most likely looking due west when we are looking past the Testarossa down the street. I base this on the long shadows being cast on the ground and their relative positions. That combined with, of the two choices, early morning filming or late afternoon, I think it more likely was a late afternoon shot making the street run west away from the house.We also learned (through Jim's great work) the Airline Hotel at 923 Palm Ave Hialeah was not used as the Ramrod Hotel.So, bottom line... we still have work to do! :)Jeremy, these case loads are killing me.. :D:eek:

Sorry Pink' date=' I didn't read your post before replying just now on this thread. Maybe we should concentrate on Coconut Grove after all. Fingers crossed we're on the right path!![/quote']No problem Sue!I was looking at this buildings unique shape/look and thought it would help lead us to an area of interest, hopefully to solving this part of the case. :radar:

No problem Sue!I was looking at this buildings unique shape/look and thought it would help lead us to an area of interest' date=' hopefully to solving this part of the case. :radar:[/quote']Great work guys :D

It was great detective work just the same. Now at least we know it was not there and can focus elsewhere. With this kind of continued effort I know we will get a break in the case soon.

Streetwise - Ramrod & back streetsI watched Streetwise again last night & so many South Beach locations were used in the episode - mainly around Washington at 10th - that I've been on google & bing maps tonight looking in that area. I am also wondering if Ramano's house is in south Beach too, close to Gina's apartment? Looking closely, last night, at the decoration on the gate of the apartment block, it looked as if it had been recently added so maybe it was placed there for the scenes, like the arched Ramrod sign?A) RamrodFirstly, I've found a building at 1308 Drexel Ave which is of the same shape as the Airline and which was built in 1925, in the same deco era as the airline. It now is called the Havana & has 35 condos but it was refurbished in recent years. I've got some pics below. I've spent hours trying to find its original name to see if there is an early photo pre-refurb with no success. Depending on the state of the old building, they might have enclosed the outside corridors.B) Back alleyI have also been for an "online stroll" around South Beach's courts and alleys looking for the building where Silk pulls up in his car towards the beginning of the ep. I have found something similar and there is a parking area opposite the building - fence has been added. As the telephone lines (or electric lines) go from left to right in the epsisode's screen cap, I am guessing the alley goes that way & Silk pulles his car forward into the parking lotThe only problem is that the hotel - the rear of which might be the location marked with the red arrow - was in the process of being demolished! I've got screen caps from Bing birdseye view showing the location but when I go on google's streetview, the building has partly gone. I might be wrong on both of these locations but it is worth a shot for discussionThis is the Havana:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5672[/ATTACH]And the Havana building from above:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5673[/ATTACH]Scene with Silk (building is behind to the left):[ATTACH=CONFIG]5676[/ATTACH]Arrow marks the possible building:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5674[/ATTACH]

post-178-1389296427218_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964272743_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964273013_thumb.jpg

post-178-13892964273312_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

5676[/ATTACH]Arrow marks the possible building:[ATTACH=CONFIG]5674[/ATTACH]

I forgot to say that the location for the Silk alley site is on Collins Court, the front of its hotel was 2 buildings north of the Fairwind on Collins Avenue at 10th. I've marked this as a red cross on the screencap below, whilst the area where Trudy was walking & rapping along Washington is close by, marked with the yellow arrow.[ATTACH=CONFIG]5677[/ATTACH]

post-178-13892964273525_thumb.jpg

Going by the pictures, I would say that Sue definetely found the location of the scene where Silk´s car pulls up. The house in the background and it´s unique pattern of shape, windows, roof and chimney is the same! Great work!As for the Ramrod: I think the Havana does not match. The building looks similar, but many details (the windows, the distance between the two legs of the building, etc.) do not match with the scenes.But let us hear what CGlide and the other buffs have to say...

5677[/ATTACH]

Great work Sue !I looked at your screen caps of the alley with Silk and I have to say the windows, small chimney and shape of the building seem to match up with the location you found on Collins Ct. :thumbsup:The Habana Apartments/Condo's building at 1308 Drexel Ave. The "U" shape seems to be too deep and much bigger in comparison to the RamRod. I believe the RamRod had 2 to 3 units on either side of the "U" and maybe the same in the middle of the "U", if not more. Also the RamRod had the open walkways to each unit and the decorative arches. Just my observations. :)Absolutely outstanding work Sue !! :clap:

Habana Apartments/Condo's building at 1308 Drexel Ave. The "U" shape seems to be too deep and much bigger in comparison to the RamRod. I believe the RamRod had 2 to 3 units on either side of the "U" and maybe the same in the middle of the "U", if not more. Also the RamRod had the open walkways to each unit and the decorative arches. Just my observations. :)Absolutely outstanding work Sue !! :clap:

Thanks Tom and Pink! I was lucky I used bing as the back of the building had gone when I "walked" with google streetview. The front of the building on Collins has the same sort of louvred windows with 4 louvres like the screencap from Vice.I may have another contender for the Ramrod but as I found it in the early hours, I've got to remember where it was in SoBe (my eyes got crossed looking at buildings with two wings). I posted the Havana as I thought it was worth a look ... I'm not sure how much refurb they'd be allowed to do on a listed building.

Thanks Tom and Pink! I was lucky I used bing as the back of the building had gone when I "walked" with google streetview. The front of the building on Collins has the same sort of louvred windows with 4 louvres like the screencap from Vice.I may have another contender for the Ramrod but as I found it in the early hours' date=' I've got to remember where it was in SoBe (my eyes got crossed looking at buildings with two wings). I posted the Havana as I thought it was worth a look ... I'm not sure how much refurb they'd be allowed to do on a listed building.[/quote']Great work Caroline. It looks to me that you have found Silk's alley. Excellent. My guess is no on the Habana being the Ramrod. Looking at it from above the street and sidewalk are further away from the front of the building than was the case with the Ramrod. The old aerial photos showed the same problem with the Airline. Interestingly there are a lot of U shaped apartment buildings/hotels in the same neighborhood as the Habana so the area is promising. It seems unlikely that Mr. Neon got the city wrong since he has worked there for 30+ years but maybe he has his episodes mixed up. It has been a quarter century.

Great work Caroline. It looks to me that you have found Silk's alley. Excellent. My guess is no on the Habana being the Ramrod. Looking at it from above the street and sidewalk are further away from the front of the building than was the case with the Ramrod. The old aerial photos showed the same problem with the Airline. Interestingly there are a lot of U shaped apartment buildings/hotels in the same neighborhood as the Habana so the area is promising. It seems unlikely that Mr. Neon got the city wrong since he has worked there for 30+ years but maybe he has his episodes mixed up. It has been a quarter century.

Thanks! I agree Jim re the passing of the years as one of Mr Neon's pieces is featured in a store window on Washington when Carla or Trudy is walking around there (it is map of Florida in neon). Maybe he made that and the Ramrod sign & the set decorators for the show just put them in place?Two outside contenders for Ramrod are named Sunbrite Apartments @ 1330 Pennsylvania Avenue & 13th and the Fenimore @ 1200 Euclid & 12th. They are both shaped correctly but the Sunbrite may be too wide. You can see that the Fenimore has had a modern decor concept added to the original building (I'm not keen on the design of this one as it now looks too gauche for classic deco .. imho anyways lol) but its worth looking at. Sadly I can't find old photos pre refurb of either of them. I've looked at plenty others but they are smaller blocks with only two stories so can be discounted immediately.

Great work. I can't believe it was right there and I missed it. Another reminder for me to check bing maps and not just GE. Awesome work. If you had not found it, it would probably have disappeared all together when they updated the pic.As for the Ramrod, the search continues.

[SIZE=3">

Great work. I can't believe it was right there and I missed it. Another reminder for me to check bing maps and not just GE. Awesome work. If you had not found it' date=' it would probably have disappeared all together when they updated the pic.As for the Ramrod, the search continues.[/size']

Great work :D

• 2 weeks later...
Introducing Cold Case # 13: From Down for The Count part 1. The Bravo Gym. For purposes here I will call the front the area where we see Stan pull up at the end of the episode. I believe in reality this is the front of the building. This shot gives us the biggest clue as to it's location. Above the door we see the number 3555 which greatly limits it's possible location.Eingefügtes BildThe front shows an unusuall roof line for Miami. Most buildings in Miami have flat roofs. This structure has a peaked roof with a ridge running front to back. Next door (to the left as we look at the building) there is a 2 story commercial building that may still exist.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildWhen C+T arrive on the scene and the shot is from inside toward the front door we see a view of the area across the street. The wall reminds me of a wall around a great estate or possibly a cemetery.We also see that the street is a side street, two lanes.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildOn the right side (as we look from the front) we see at the very back of the right wall there is another garage door sized opening. This shows us several more clues. Perhaps most importantly is there is another street running along this side of the building. This indicates our Bravo Gym is on the corner of an intersection which is likely a three way or T intersection based on the wall we see at the front. It also tells us the front is more likely on a north-south Avenue than an east-west Street. Not an absolute but the length of blocks on streets are longer than Avenues due to the Miami grid design. Since the address is 3555 and it is on a corner that indicates a short block and more likely an Avenue. We also see a unique stylish commercial building in the background with a unique window design. This building is likely still around.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildI know that we can locate where this is or was. Happy hunting.

Ramrod - again!HiJust got an update on my facebook account from Miami Design Preservation League, where they have posted a few old postcards of South Beach. One - the Hampton Court - might be a contender for the Ramrod - its address was Collins at 28th (see below)I'm wondering how many hotels/motels like this have been demolished or altered drastically since the 1980s evben though they're supposed to be preserved?[ATTACH=CONFIG]5906[/ATTACH]

post-178-13892964413273_thumb.jpg

5906[/ATTACH]

Nice find. This building, the Hampton Court still exist on Collins Ave but I do not believe it is the Ramrod. I only took a quick look but I would say no.Any ideas on Bravo Gym?

Introducing Cold Case # 13: From Down for The Count part 1. The Bravo Gym. For purposes here I will call the front the area where we see Stan pull up at the end of the episode. I believe in reality this is the front of the building. This shot gives us the biggest clue as to it's location. Above the door we see the number 3555 which greatly limits it's possible location.Eingefügtes BildThe front shows an unusuall roof line for Miami. Most buildings in Miami have flat roofs. This structure has a peaked roof with a ridge running front to back. Next door (to the left as we look at the building) there is a 2 story commercial building that may still exist.I know that we can locate where this is or was. Happy hunting.
I found this posting on a youtube clip--hope it helps :"this was filmed at Bravo's gym in Allapattah across from Jackson sr high down the street from my block. the gym is a garage now!!"ref
  • Like 1

Nice find. This building' date=' the Hampton Court still exist on Collins Ave but I do not believe it is the Ramrod. I only took a quick look but I would say no.[/color']

I was on my lunch break when I saw it so didn't have time to study it in depth. Maybe the Ramrod will pop up one day when we're least expecting it.I'm off to Orlando on Thursday - what a shame there are no Vice locations to find there!

I found this posting on a youtube clip--hope it helps :"this was filmed at Bravo's gym in Allapattah across from Jackson sr high down the street from my block. the gym is a garage now!!"ref
Nice info - my I wish we could get a break on the Ramrod :D

I just spent some time looking in detail in that area but came up with nothing.:rolleyes:

The address would be 3555 NW 36th St. Allapattah ?

When I saw the youtube comment I did a Google street view search all over that area near the high school including this one. http://maps.google.ca/?t=h&layer=c&cbll=-3.137768,-60.493357&panoid=1ci-8iBT_UuG1dlrUy1vzg&cbp=12,154.19,,0,-2.8&ie=UTF8&ll=-3.142916,-60.488234&spn=0.081674,0.132093&z=14&source=embedBut I didn't see anything that looked like the building. I tried 36th street and 3 streets south. as well as 2 streets north and likewise did 3 north south avenues near Jackson senior high school. But the article you reference is great and narrows it to 36th street . Someone will need to find that landmark. :p