Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Thinking along those lines I did some searching around the Davie area last night knowing that is a big horse community in Broward County. I also looked north of the gun range on NW 58th Street that Crockett used. I basically went from the range up to the county line. No luck so far. It definitely looks like a higher end place. The odds are not as good I would think but it is possible they went up to Palm Beach County where they have some big money horse stables.

Interesting theory about Palm Beach County :D

Ref CC11, the Ramrod. Just spoke to Mr Neon, Steve Carpenter. He looked around and claims that he now remembers where the Ramrod was located. He says it was on the 700 block of Palm Ave, close to 8th St and is now occupied by an apartment complex (now 760 Palm?). I don't see any similarities except it looks like there used to be an open courtyard and the lot is about the right size. Maybe someone else can find some similarities. A lot of buildings in the area have changed since the 80s. Interesting that the Airline Hotel, that burned down, was in the 900 block of Palm. This location fits with what I remember from my trip to Mr. Neon's with Dan and Dan's remark as we were driving down Palm. I think we should keep looking for a photo of the original location in the 80s but there are reasons to believe Steve. He and his team decorated the Ramrod, he works in the area, and he made a special effort to locate the original spot. The problem is I can't see it in the 1986 aerial view, wish those views were clearer. I will send him a copy of the 1986 aerial. On a different subject I asked him what it would cost to create a small working version of the lips from LMD's Sex World, something I've always wanted. His answer was at least $1,500 so I will have to wait on that. Caps are from Google Maps. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I took another look and the new location does not match up. The Airline Hotel is a better match. I was finally able to clearly make out the sign on the left side of the building. It is a prop for the Ramrod, nicely done prop. I also see that there are cuts in the scene that allow it to have been three locations, 4 if you include the interior room scene. C+T park in an alley. Could have been on the beach. When the manger runs out of the office, it cuts after he clears the gate so the building he is tackled in front of could be anywhere. This opens up the likelyhood that the building was not sandwiched between others and could have been on a corner. Right now I would say the Airline Hotel is a strong possibility and we need to find a picture of it.

I took another look and the new location does not match up. The Airline Hotel is a better match. I was finally able to clearly make out the sign on the left side of the building. It is a prop for the Ramrod' date=' nicely done prop. I also see that there are cuts in the scene that allow it to have been three locations, 4 if you include the interior room scene. C+T park in an alley. Could have been on the beach. When the manger runs out of the office, it cuts after he clears the gate so the building he is tackled in front of could be anywhere. This opens up the likelyhood that the building was not sandwiched between others and could have been on a corner. Right now I would say the Airline Hotel is a strong possibility and we need to find a picture of it.[/color']

Great work I have searched and cant find an online picture of the Airline anywhere - where could we find one ?:D

I compared the first location: 932 Palm Ave, Hialeah with the second: 748 Palm Avenue, Hialeah.Think 932 Palm Ave is much better place where "Ramrod Hotel" once stood. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Great work I have searched and cant find an online picture of the Airline anywhere - where could we find one ?:D

When I found the original mention of its name, I searched on my usual sites which show older pictures of Miami & surrounding area. I have looked on the Hialeah sites too with no success - we could do with linking with someone who has lived in the area for many years. I am wondering whether the Hialeah library would have a collection of old photos of the area? Here in the UK (well in our county anyway!) each library has a reference section on local history which contains books on all the nearby towns & villages. Or maybe the library might know a local historian? It is odd that there are so few pictures taken of Hialeah other than the horse races.If I am lucky enough to get out to Miami next year, and this still hasn't been solved, then the town will be my first stop!!

I spent hours on this, probably 4 hours already. I can't find anything like it. I think it's a straight street though, not a curved one. I only looked through straight streets. Lots of them. All the 1200 blocks I could find on GE. Was it maybe in FT Lauderdale? Maybe the house was torn down, or totally remodeled. I cant find the two window front portion, next to the recessed entrance, next to the carport on the left side of the curved (I agreee about this) driveway. I found lots of similar areas though. I also searched assuming that maybe those slat windows were replaced, and that blocky architecture on the front stairs removed. I was thinking that object behind Crockett was a steeple of a church. It looks vaguely like it protrudes off of a high roof. The sun is casting a shadow directly down the line of the sidewalk. With the sun that high, It must be 11:00am-1:00pm on a north south running street. The house being on the East side of the street.

I spent hours on this' date=' probably 4 hours already. I can't find anything like it. I think it's a straight street though, not a curved one. I only looked through straight streets. Lots of them. All the 1200 blocks I could find on GE. Was it maybe in FT Lauderdale? Maybe the house was torn down, or totally remodeled. I cant find the two window front portion, next to the recessed entrance, next to the carport on the left side of the curved (I agreee about this) driveway. I found lots of similar areas though. I also searched assuming that maybe those slat windows were replaced, and that blocky architecture on the front stairs removed. I was thinking that object behind Crockett was a steeple of a church. It looks vaguely like it protrudes off of a high roof. The sun is casting a shadow directly down the line of the sidewalk. With the sun that high, It must be 11:00am-1:00pm on a north south running street. The house being on the East side of the street.[/quote']Which case are you referring to?

In regards to the Ramrod/Airline Hotel. I thought because it had burnt down the Miami Herald might have an article or small story about it. I had no luck but maybe some of you might. Herald Archive site. Herald Archives

In regards to the Ramrod/Airline Hotel. I thought because it had burnt down the Miami Herald might have an article or small story about it. I had no luck but maybe some of you might. Herald Archive site. Herald Archives

Good thinking Pink. I am going to try to call a librarian at the Hialeah Branch of the Miami-Dade Library System tomorrow.

I gave this address back in mid March in this thread' date=' Pink, along with the info on the hotel's fire :-)[/quote']Good work Sue ! Did you happen to find any pictures of the hotel and or fire?I was thinking maybe the Miami Herald might have something like that, hopefully! :)

Good work Sue ! Did you happen to find any pictures of the hotel and or fire?I was thinking maybe the Miami Herald might have something like that' date=' hopefully! :)[/quote']Great info ! Lets hope its the Airline :D

Located leads to several photos of the Airline. Hopefully I will have one in a few days. Here is an interesting story I found about it. This is apparently the second fire suffered by the hotel. The only concern I have is that another article calls it "a two story building." We will know for sure when I get the photo.HIALEAH TO RAZE FIRE-DAMAGED HOTEL--------------------------------------------------Miami Herald, The (FL)-July 10, 1997 Hialeah officials have decided to raze the Airline Hotel -- the dilapidated downtown landmark that was gutted last week by a seven-hour blaze that investigators have classified as ``suspicious.'' `With all the fire damage to the structure, it's no longer a historical building,'' said Al Gamble, chief code enforcement officer. ``The city wants it demolished immediately.'' All they need to do now is figure out who actually owns the 73-year-old yellow stucco building, once known for its glass door knobs, wood floors and tiled lobby. Ownership has been in dispute since October, when the hotel went into receivership after being saddled with more than 80 building, health and fire-safety violations, Gamble said. So the city mailed notices Tuesday to three people -- property owner Eduardo Moses, mortgage holder Julio Guanche and receiver Ernesto MacNamara -- in hopes of tracking down who has rights to the structure at 932 Palm Ave. Moses was out of town Tuesday and did not return phone messages. Guanche and MacNamara could not be reached for comment. Normally, a property owner has 15 days to appeal a city's demolition order, Gamble said. Otherwise a city can seek permission to proceed from the county's Unsafe Structures board. Hialeah Fire Marshall Bruce Ward classified the fire as suspicious on Monday, because firefighters saw two men running from the building as the fire broke out about 11:15 a.m. Friday. At first, one of the men tried to enter the building, saying he had to save his friend, Ward said. Then as firefighters rushed in, the other man ran out. Both men disappeared as firefighters fought the blaze through a stormy Fourth of July that at one point unleashed rain, lighting and winds of up to 40 miles per hour, Ward said. `There was someone in that building when it caught fire. We know that. We never got to question him because he took off,'' Ward said. ``That's why it's suspicious.'' The man, who was not wearing a shirt, was described as 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. Investigators believe he may live on the street. Anyone with information, should contact Hialeah Police, 687-2525.

Located leads to several photos of the Airline. Hopefully I will have one in a few days. Here is an interesting story I found about it. This is apparently the second fire suffered by the hotel. The only concern I have is that another article calls it "a two story building." We will know for sure when I get the photo.HIALEAH TO RAZE FIRE-DAMAGED HOTEL--------------------------------------------------Miami Herald' date=' The (FL)-July 10, 1997 Hialeah officials have decided to raze the Airline Hotel -- the dilapidated downtown landmark that was gutted last week by a seven-hour blaze that investigators have classified as ``suspicious.'' `With all the fire damage to the structure, it's no longer a historical building,'' said Al Gamble, chief code enforcement officer. ``The city wants it demolished immediately.'' All they need to do now is figure out who actually owns the 73-year-old yellow stucco building, once known for its glass door knobs, wood floors and tiled lobby. Ownership has been in dispute since October, when the hotel went into receivership after being saddled with more than 80 building, health and fire-safety violations, Gamble said. So the city mailed notices Tuesday to three people -- property owner Eduardo Moses, mortgage holder Julio Guanche and receiver Ernesto MacNamara -- in hopes of tracking down who has rights to the structure at 932 Palm Ave. Moses was out of town Tuesday and did not return phone messages. Guanche and MacNamara could not be reached for comment. Normally, a property owner has 15 days to appeal a city's demolition order, Gamble said. Otherwise a city can seek permission to proceed from the county's Unsafe Structures board. Hialeah Fire Marshall Bruce Ward classified the fire as suspicious on Monday, because firefighters saw two men running from the building as the fire broke out about 11:15 a.m. Friday. At first, one of the men tried to enter the building, saying he had to save his friend, Ward said. Then as firefighters rushed in, the other man ran out. Both men disappeared as firefighters fought the blaze through a stormy Fourth of July that at one point unleashed rain, lighting and winds of up to 40 miles per hour, Ward said. `There was someone in that building when it caught fire. We know that. We never got to question him because he took off,'' Ward said. ``That's why it's suspicious.'' The man, who was not wearing a shirt, was described as 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. Investigators believe he may live on the street. Anyone with information, should contact Hialeah Police, 687-2525.[/quote']Great work Jim, Hopefully this will pan out to be something useful so we can close this case.By the way - - The man, who was not wearing a shirt, was described as 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. Didn't Tubbs tackles this guy?? :):cool:

The man, who was not wearing a shirt, was described as 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. Didn't Tubbs tackles this guy?? :):cool:

Good one Pink. :) Or it might have been the guy wearing the collar that Swi discovered in the fantasy suite.

Good one Pink. :) Or it might have been the guy wearing the collar that Swi discovered in the fantasy suite.

Nah' date=' that guy that Tubbs tackled was shorter and heavier. lol. In regards to being listed as two stories, that is not a concern. FEMA has it listed as a 1 story hotel. Ironicly I found that information yesterday under a federal Govt. website listing FEMA approved hotels that passed US Govt. safety inspections regarding fire safety and preparedness. So if there is any kind of disaster the government says it is the place to go to be safe and can receive federal disater money to put people up. Hah. That inspector is due for a promotion. I counted the floors on bing maps after reading that to make sure and there is at least three floors.[/color']

Nah' date=' that guy that Tubbs tackled was shorter and heavier. lol. In regards to being listed as two stories, that is not a concern. FEMA has it listed as a 1 story hotel. Ironicly I found that information yesterday under a federal Govt. website listing FEMA approved hotels that passed US Govt. safety inspections regarding fire safety and preparedness. So if there is any kind of disaster the government says it is the place to go to be safe and can receive federal disater money to put people up. Hah. That inspector is due for a promotion. I counted the floors on bing maps after reading that to make sure and there is at least three floors.[/color']

Interesting:D:D:thumbsup:

This is a link to the picture of the hotel where the name "Airline" is mentioned although the picture is supposed to be of hotel Hialeah. I'm at work so I can't cut & paste from the site but someone else may be able to do this for me. It is the right shape but is it the building we're looking for? And where was the Hialeah hotel located?http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/102936975

Sue, i think it's the building we're looking for. Nice find! This hotel was located on 932 Palm Ave.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildHere is a vintage satelite picture:Eingefügtes Bild

This is a link to the picture of the hotel where the name "Airline" is mentioned although the picture is supposed to be of hotel Hialeah. I'm at work so I can't cut & paste from the site but someone else may be able to do this for me. It is the right shape but is it the building we're looking for? And where was the Hialeah hotel located?http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/102936975

Nice find with the pic !:D

Fantastic work Sue! :cool: Even though the picture is from 1940 I think it would be safe to say that it went through many changes and upgrades in 47 years to what we see in Crockettt's picture. I think the final stamp of approval for the case being solved will have to come from Jeremy. :thumbsup:All in all, great team effort ! :clap:

Fantastic work Sue! :cool: Even though the picture is from 1940 I think it would be safe to say that it went through many changes and upgrades in 47 years to what we see in Crockettt's picture. I think the final stamp of approval for the case being solved will have to come from Jeremy. :thumbsup:All in all' date=' great team effort ! :clap:[/quote']Yes great work - and we all await SoflaJeremy's stamp of approval :D