The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

:):)
Hi CameraDaytona - yeah I may be to blame for a lot of the posts the last week or so! I have a question about your motor - I know it isn't the original as far as what was in it when McBurnie built the car, and I believe you and JN agree that there is no way to tell when that motor was switched with the crate motor that is in it now - i.e before filming, during filming, after filming etc. But:1) are you sure that your motor is not just the motor that was in the car before with the (I believe JN said SINGLE, whereas car #1 had DUAL) Turbocharger setup replaced with a standard carb? Because couldn't that motor have been a crate motor in the first place?2)What color are the block, heads and intake manifold on your car?3) What type intake manifold and carb?4) I see that you have headers but are they block hugger or standard (can't tell from your pic)5) Do you have a real dual exhaust or the single system that has 2 outlets as stock? Converters? Mufflers? 6) is it a turbo 350 or 400 transmission?Thanks! That should do for now :)

I located a place in Kennesaw' date=' Georgia, where they sold sheets of plexiglass (actually they had another name for it, Plexiglass is a trade name). I already had a plexi cover and used it as a go-by. If you get a chance, email me a close up of your car's nose. I am guessing the plexiglass will popr right on over the nose, but it would be good to see a detail shot to be sure.JN[/quote']
has there anything else been changed since these photos besides the mirrors and can you post a shot of the front?and Sonny I see what you mean about the body' date=' it really looks to be in good shape and the beefy rear tires give it a nice stance.[/quote'] JN and KavinskyHere are some pics of the front end to follow. Eingefügtes Bild

Pic #5 - nose (again sorry for sun glare). Note the covers drop about an 3/4 inch after the car is turned off due to vintage vacuum pump. Eingefügtes Bild

Pic #6. Kavinsky - Here's a close-up of the rear from a lower angle to view the exhaust and tire width. Can see a little of the rebuilt differential and part of the heavy duty suspension I mentioned before. Eingefügtes Bild

JN and KavinskyHere are some pics of the front end to follow. Eingefügtes Bild

I would recommend that you let the headlight covers drop down, possibly repaint the top, but not the front lip, silver or chrome. Get the Plexiglass from Rowley Corvette. It will be about $350, but will fit.Then you will have a go-by for the future. The Season one version didn't have tinted covers. Your Ferrari logo is in the right place on the nose for Season 1. The Camera Car, and the few other early McBurnies I have seen have the area directly in front of the headlights chromed. (see picture)

post-109-13892963418062_thumb.jpg

Pic #6. Kavinsky - Here's a close-up of the rear from a lower angle to view the exhaust and tire width. Can see a little of the rebuilt differential and part of the heavy duty suspension I mentioned before. Eingefügtes Bild

I would recommend when you have the exhaust re-done to have them widen the rear exhaust. I think roughly 2 feet is about right. My car uses the same tips, which are similar to the Ansa tips on real Daytonas. That appears to be the exhaust on the show car, where the Camera Car now sports actual mufflers.

post-109-13892963418248_thumb.jpg

post-109-13892963418466_thumb.jpg

I would recommend that you let the headlight covers drop down' date=' possibly repaint the top, but not the front lip, silver or chrome. Get the Plexiglass from Rowley Corvette. It will be about $350, but will fit.Then you will have a go-by for the future. The Season one version didn't have tinted covers. Your Ferrari logo is in the right place on the nose for Season 1. The Camera Car, and the few other early McBurnies I have seen have the area directly in front of the headlights chromed. (see picture)[/quote'] JNThanks. The problem with leaving the covers down is that they partially block the headlights when down. I will have to remove them and have a body shop do some work in the recessed lens area. Interesting that the Camera Car is chromed in that flat area. Would definitely help light transmission. Does Camera have clear lens covers today?BTW, what did you mean by having a go-by for the future?S-B

The exhaust on my car are even with the inside edge of the bumpers. That is about the best rule of thumb I can give you. The various angles that the show car was shot from, and the fact that the two cars may not have been identical, makes it hard to get closer than that.JN

post-109-13892963418644_thumb.jpg

I would recommend when you have the exhaust re-done to have them widen the rear exhaust. I think roughly 2 feet is about right. My car uses the same tips' date=' which are similar to the Ansa tips on real Daytonas. That appears to be the exhaust on the show car, where the Camera Car now sports actual mufflers.[/quote'] JNYep-- I noticed the other day that my exhaust pipes were a little centered vs shots of the show car. ThanksS-B

The exhaust on my car are even with the inside edge of the bumpers. That is about the best rule of thumb I can give you. The various angles that the show car was shot from' date=' and the fact that the two cars may not have been identical, makes it hard to get closer than that.JN[/quote'] Nice car JN! You did a really great job on restoration. Thanks again for the help..S-B

I dont know about having chrome right infront of the headlights, it seems like you'd be better off going with a matt silver rather than chrome because it might end up directing some of the light upwards and away from the road if its chromedand also looking at the photo here there seems to be three screws per side, two next to the turn signal and one over the headlight itself

post-592-13892963419591_thumb.jpg

Also I rigged up this diagram to help you with your mufflers Sonny:Sonny are you planning on moving the front badge down to where it is now on the camera car or are you going to leave it where it is and are you going to remove the white reverse light on the rear and the prancing horse logo?

post-592-13892963419736_thumb.jpg

JNBTW' date=' what did you mean by having a go-by for the future?S-B[/quote'] I meant that once I bought a couple of the plexi nose covers I was able to cut my own. That's how I did the tinted one.The Camera car has clear lenses today. They are much safer, and there may be legal issues with a manufacturer (like Carl Roberts) selling cars with tinted lense covers. Not a problem (at least in Georgia) for an individual to do it.

am I going nuts or is there not only a pannel missing from your car but from the camera car itself atleast when the show was being filmed?

The McBurnie type cars are made on the C3 Vette frame and the gas tank has to be dropped down so that it hangs out of the bottom of the body panels. The UK version is on a Jaguar and the gas tank is mounted higher so you don't see it hanging down.

So that's the gas tank haining down that I'm seeing and it was a US only thing?that would explain why those other two that Ive been looking at dont have it, there both in europe and one of them is in France although they are both corvette C3 based:http://www.indat.de/enzo/e_anzeig.htmhttp://www.photos-automobiles.com/shootings/ferrari_daytonaspyder/index.htm

Then I would be willing to bet the gas tank is where the trunk should be. You see a few of those in the US. You open the trunk and the gas tank is where it was in the standard Vette configuration. Gives you room underneath for a spare, but no trunk space.In the real Daytona the gas tank was split and the two halfs are mounted in the fender wells. A pipe runs between the two which allows both tanks to feed the engine. The cross-over pipe is exposed when the spare is removed-which makes me very nervous. Seems like a tap to the rear of the car could have raw fuel pouring out right on top of the exhaust system. But I have never read anything to indicate that was a safety issue.JN

I don't know it sounds like if you ever seriously get rear ended in any sort of an old vette its going to be trouble regardless of how its set up.Although having the spare right infront of the piece where both pipes meet does sound like it could cause a gas leak in that situation, its probably a safer bet to do like they used to do with the old muscle cars and jusy have the spare tucked in a corner of the trunk ontop of the gas tank and use the storage area behind the seats for groceries if there's no space left in the trunk because of that.

I would recommend that you let the headlight covers drop down' date=' possibly repaint the top, but not the front lip, silver or chrome. Get the Plexiglass from Rowley Corvette. It will be about $350, but will fit.Then you will have a go-by for the future. The Season one version didn't have tinted covers. Your Ferrari logo is in the right place on the nose for Season 1. The Camera Car, and the few other early McBurnies I have seen have the area directly in front of the headlights chromed. (see picture)[/quote']
I dont know about having chrome right infront of the headlights' date=' it seems like you'd be better off going with a matt silver rather than chrome because it might end up directing some of the light upwards and away from the road if its chromedand also looking at the photo here there seems to be three screws per side, two next to the turn signal and one over the headlight itself[/quote'] KavinskyIs this a closeup of the Camera Car? Looks like this may even have a thin strip of metal (but not sure) in the light housing that is silver or matte silver as you suggested. I see the screws as well. and the lenses are clear.

Also I rigged up this diagram to help you with your mufflers Sonny:Sonny are you planning on moving the front badge down to where it is now on the camera car or are you going to leave it where it is and are you going to remove the white reverse light on the rear and the prancing horse logo?

Thanks for this Kavinsky. Though when I went back through the pics and video clips you posted I can't tell whether the inner-most tube or the outer-most tube of each pair should align with the inside of bumper edge.JN or Kavinsky, pls let me know what you think.Re the Ferrari logo on the front --not sue which is better for position.... any thoughts?BTW did you notice that I do not have the chrome script Ferrari on the top rear of my trnk? Think the camera car has this but I have not been able to locate one yet. RE the prancing horse on the back, am planning to keep it as I like it as a nice personal touch add-on for me. ThxS-B

The McBurnie type cars are made on the C3 Vette frame and the gas tank has to be dropped down so that it hangs out of the bottom of the body panels. The UK version is on a Jaguar and the gas tank is mounted higher so you don't see it hanging down.

Yep that is an open panel and my gas tank hanging very low there. Now you know why I commented on the crazy driving by Tubbs in Hit List where he bottoms out repeatedly...;):)From your one pic though of the show car, it looks like it is the same as mine.