Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

A current day aerial and a particularly interesting angle above Coconut Grove/ Bayshore Drive and Dinner Key Marina, so many episodes filmed in this photo alone. A cold murky day it said in the caption that was sent to me but I think that adds to this photo.:hippie:

BDB29D6F-1FED-4DD3-B069-B121BC108AD1.jpeg

Interesting view.  What stands out is the Coconut Grove Convention Center has been replaced by a park.  The Grove Key Marina is apparently still there.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, miamijimf said:

Interesting view.  What stands out is the Coconut Grove Convention Center has been replaced by a park.  The Grove Key Marina is apparently still there.

Thankyou Jim - I thought so.

The new ‘The Waters’ condos on Bay Harbor Islands just south of Bal Harbour at 9781 E. Bay Harbor Drive.

B8BFFA42-41FD-4606-B8A7-DD792E4E5659.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

The cover of Jan Hammer’s late 1987 “Tubbs and Valerie” single featured the Park Central Hotel (behind JH on the cover here) on Ocean Drive, Miami Beach and a building next to it which has gone. :hippie:

B1BCE25E-9D9F-458F-B542-71BFC74C0CB8.jpeg

06211955-08E3-4475-AA43-7A70FC8D61BA.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Cars backed up on the County Causeway going to Miami Beach.  Nothing has changed.

Cars backed up on the County Causeway going to Miami Beach.jpg

Great photo Jim. 

Its not like that up in Lauderdale!:hippie:

20 hours ago, Matt5 said:

The cover of Jan Hammer’s late 1987 “Tubbs and Valerie” single featured the Park Central Hotel (behind JH on the cover here) on Ocean Drive, Miami Beach and a building next to it which has gone. :hippie:

B1BCE25E-9D9F-458F-B542-71BFC74C0CB8.jpeg

06211955-08E3-4475-AA43-7A70FC8D61BA.jpeg

Anyone know the building or hotel next to The Park Central Hotel here before it was demolished? (In the Jan Hammer shot).

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 5:10 AM, Matt5 said:

Anyone know the building or hotel next to The Park Central Hotel here before it was demolished? (In the Jan Hammer shot).

Matt I assume you are talking about the empty lot to the left of the hotel in your pic.  I looked at several episodes that show the hotel including Hostile Takeover, Asian Cut, and Burn Notice's Acceptable Loss without a good view of what was next door.  I found an old really bad amateur video on Youtube supposedly taken at the Park Central that shows part of a building next door out the window.  "Hea . . . Apartments" may be a clue.  I'm sure there is an older drive-by video that shows the building, maybe even in Vice.  When was this building demolished?  How do you know for sure there was formally a building there?

13 hours ago, airtommy said:

Nice find on that video, Jim.  That was the clue we needed. 

Heathcote Apartments - 626 Ocean Drive

Heathcote_Apartments_(Miami_Beach).thumb.jpg.3860e84e093d05041665f5be080603a9.jpg

view from multiple angles:  https://www.ruskinarc.com/mdpl/ArtDecoDistrict/4802-626 Ocean Dr/view

hi-res photo:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Heathcote_Apartments_(Miami_Beach).jpg

Glad I was able to help identify the building.  Any reason for the interest in this place or was it just on the Jan Hammer cover?

Edited by miamijimf

A nice current day aerial of the Macarthur Cswy above Star Island and Terminal Isle looking to Downtown Miami/ Port of Miami.

(“Brothers Keeper”, “Hard Knocks”, “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run”, Miami Vice 2006 movie):hippie:

A570988D-F84D-45F7-9235-DA3D1175CD2D.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

image.png.75b82f4117eccc1a6bbf32e1a525a2d5.png

1960's Espanola Way. Miami Beach

1660952437_givealittletakealittle.jpg.37e7fd553179ebd0f418fc53ab0ecd78.jpg

And here it is seen in Miami Vice in the episode "Give a Little, Take a Little." I began following this Miami page on instagram, which has lots of photos from old Miami. A great page. I recognized the above picture "Beach Poultry" sign and thought I would share. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, summer84 said:

1137810167_miamibeachoceandrive.jpg.d0f4a40784aeef013d6cf4d4e33cb4cd.jpg

Ocean Drive, Miami Beach in 1955. I wish there were more pics from the 80s Miami Vice era. 

Nice pic.  This was about the time period when SoBe began to go downhill.  Airline travel to places other than the Beach, the Caribbean, etc etc became more available and popular, unusually cold winters discouraged tourists, large hotels further north on Collins drew well to do travelers, and the Deco Drive hotels had price wars.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I was really amazed at the difference in the skyline between my 2006 and 2016 visits. Very sad from a nostalgic standpoint. 

Very sad that skyline is a mess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, summer84 said:

1137810167_miamibeachoceandrive.jpg.d0f4a40784aeef013d6cf4d4e33cb4cd.jpg

Ocean Drive, Miami Beach in 1955. I wish there were more pics from the 80s Miami Vice era. 

These are great - thankyou Summer.:hippie:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, summer84 said:

Thanks. The page is real.miami or just realmiami. 

Yes I followed him and it’s quite a good page real.miami on instagram. He asked me to tag real.miami in his page and he liked a couple of my Miami Beach pictures from last year and my Miami Vice palm tree video.

His content is neat but just beware he then asked me to contribute to a new camera... I said I was happy to support the page by sending any Miami pictures he may like. It was all cool.

Edited by Matt5

On 9/9/2018 at 12:06 PM, miamijimf said:

Glad I was able to help identify the building.  Any reason for the interest in this place or was it just on the Jan Hammer cover?

Very good Jim - it was me I started it as I identified the Park Central Hotel on Jan Hammer’s 1987 single cover. That was the interest about the building next door to the PC on the cover which turns out to be the Heathcote.:hippie:

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes I followed him and it’s quite a good page real.miami on instagram. He asked me to tag real.miami in his page and he liked a couple of my Miami Beach pictures from last year and my Miami Vice palm tree video.

His content is neat but just beware he then asked me to contribute to a new camera... I said I was happy to support the page by sending any Miami pictures he may like. It was all cool.

Yes it's a great page. So much history recorded! He's following me as well. I understand he wants good pictures and that a camera can be expensive, but I'm not sure why a camera phone for instance isn't enough for instagram photos or a cheaper digital camera? 

Edited by summer84