Thoughts on Covid 19

Ferrariman

I have never watched an awards show.  It is just fluff where celebs get their fill of being seen and adored.  There are WAY too many awards shows for everything under the sun.

• Like 5

I find this a fascinating topic.  Many careers, and I might argue most professional careers, have some kind of peer awards.  The American Institute of Architects awards the Pritzker Prize, journalism has the Pulitzers, and there are the many whose names we don’t know but are awarded regularly in the profession.  There are the the Nobel Prizes in medicine, chemistry, literature, economics, etc...

The difference between them and entertainment awards or, in the same vein, professional sports awards, is simply that one type of career has an audience and the other doesn’t.  To be critical of these “socially popular” type of awards because they are broadcast in the media is missing the basic point that they are popular because people make them so by watching them.  

If very few people watched movies and television or NFL football or the MLB, no one would care about these awards either.  I have an interest and background in architecture so pay attention to the Pritzker Prize.  Most people don’t.  Performing and athletics are very popular so people do pay attention when an acting prize or an MVP is announced.  They even broadcast professional sports drafts now.

I was a college athlete, and I am not disparaging athletics, but one might argue they are just playing games.  I have no performance skills but I am not criticizing those awards either.  One might argue they’re just playing at life.  What I am questioning is why some would criticize certain types of professional awards like acting for being self-congratulatory.  ALL of these kinds of awards are self-congratulatory.  They’re only in the media because the career is in the public eye.  If no one paid them any attention they wouldn’t be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I find this a fascinating topic.  Many careers, and I might argue most professional careers, have some kind of peer awards.  The American Institute of Architects awards the Pritzker Prize, journalism has the Pulitzers, and there are the many whose names we don’t know but are awarded regularly in the profession.  There are the the Nobel Prizes in medicine, chemistry, literature, economics, etc...

The difference between them and entertainment awards or, in the same vein, professional sports awards, is simply that one type of career has an audience and the other doesn’t.  To be critical of these “socially popular” type of awards because they are broadcast in the media is missing the basic point that they are popular because people make them so by watching them.  

If very few people watched movies and television or NFL football or the MLB, no one would care about these awards either.  I have an interest and background in architecture so pay attention to the Pritzker Prize.  Most people don’t.  Performing and athletics are very popular so people do pay attention when an acting prize or an MVP is announced.  They even broadcast professional sports drafts now.

I was a college athlete, and I am not disparaging athletics, but one might argue they are just playing games.  I have no performance skills but I am not criticizing those awards either.  One might argue they’re just playing at life.  What I am questioning is why some would criticize certain types of professional awards like acting for being self-congratulatory.  ALL of these kinds of awards are self-congratulatory.  They’re only in the media because the career is in the public eye.  If no one paid them any attention they wouldn’t be.

I like the points you made, especially in dealing with the general thrust of what accolades and awards are about. I like awards and am generally happy for those who win awards, I'm just not interested in watching televised award shows. Now, if someone I knew was up for an award and wanted me in attendance, I'd be completely open to attending that event. But no, it just isn't compelling viewing for me, be it theater/film, sports, journalism, etc.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, pahonu said:

"they are popular because people make them so by watching them."  

"They’re only in the media because the career is in the public eye.  If no one paid them any attention they wouldn’t be."

Kind of why the Kardashians are popular.  If nobody paid attention to them they'd just go away!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Kind of why the Kardashians are popular.  If nobody paid attention to them they'd just go away!

We can only wish...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I like the points you made, especially in dealing with the general thrust of what accolades and awards are about. I like awards and am generally happy for those who win awards, I'm just not interested in watching televised award shows. Now, if someone I knew was up for an award and wanted me in attendance, I'd be completely open to attending that event. But no, it just isn't compelling viewing for me, be it theater/film, sports, journalism, etc.

I don’t really watch entertainment  award shows either.  I find them unbearably slow!  That said, I don’t have a problem with the awards themselves as you said, or even people who somehow enjoy watching them.  I was just pointing out the logical inconsistency of criticizing them specifically and not other types of awards or awards in general.

• Like 1

i agree with you when you say there's nothing wrong that the media world congratulates the ones who gave some happiness to the people. But the difference between a pulitzer, and a Cannes festival, it's that at the pulitzer you don't arrive with a 100k $ dress, and 200k $ of jewerly. and i think that was what Ferrariman was pointing out. it's not congratulating the problem, but the manner

edit: just came across this. canno't not share

https://imgur.com/gallery/JnwS0cJ

Edited by jpaul1

7 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i agree with you when you say there's nothing wrong that the media world congratulates the ones who gave some happiness to the people. But the difference between a pulitzer, and a Cannes festival, it's that at the pulitzer you don't arrive with a 100k $ dress, and 200k $ of jewerly. and i think that was what Ferrariman was pointing out. it's not congratulating the problem, but the manner

edit: just came across this. canno't not share

https://imgur.com/gallery/JnwS0cJ

I understand the manner of celebration is very public and many would argue over the top.  That was my point in saying this happens because the nature of their careers involve an audience watching them, as opposed to a Pulitzer.  Like wise, when people win the Nobel Prize, it is a very formal event with recipients in tuxedos and gowns, but of course it’s not being broadcast for a massive audience who watched their film and created their celebrity.  People subscribe to magazines that do nothing but show celebrities and photos of their lives.  I would argue that the Pulitzer and Nobel prizes are far more important for humanity, but it’s just not the same kind of celebrity.

I still read several hard copy newspapers and yesterday saw a pictorial story in the LA Times covering the Golden Globe Awards.  One of the many photos showed Jason Sedeikis, formerly of Saturday Night Live, accepting his award on line in a hoodie.  They weren’t critical of his choice, but it was unexpected enough to get inclusion and a comment, among all the typical  photos of the celebrities in more formal wear.

if these ceremonies remain sober, and they don't try all to be seen as 'the chosen' i have absolutely nothing against these personnally

• Like 1

Personnally I don't have anything against these award shows, too, even if it is always a kind of self-adulation. I never watch such shows either, which is also due to the fact that theyare always shown at night. The next morning, when people talk about which movies won Oscars, I am often amazed that I have never heard of them before. I think many feel the same way. That's why they watch these movies later and thus increase the success of the actors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also thought I might point out that even within the entertainment industry, there is considerable differences among the award recipients.  Most people immediately think of the acting awards.  It’s important to remember that those individuals are performers in the public eye and very often the main drawing point for a film or show.  More attention means more money earned.  What these performers wear is decidedly different than the more traditional formal wear of screenwriters or directors and producers, for example.  They’re not in the public eye for the most part.  It’s all part of building celebrity, which is part of the industry and always has been.  Very often it is the studios and distributors encouraging and even facilitating the wearing of extravagant clothing and jewelry.  Again, it gains attention, which is the whole point of marketing these films and series.

At some level they are the chosen.  They have been chosen by their peers for their accomplishments.  This happens in most professions, as I argued above.  It’s just much more public in this case because of the nature of the industry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christine said:

Personnally I don't have anything against these award shows, too, even if it is always a kind of self-adulation. I never watch such shows either, which is also due to the fact that theyare always shown at night. The next morning, when people talk about which movies won Oscars, I am often amazed that I have never heard of them before. I think many feel the same way. That's why they watch these movies later and thus increase the success of the actors.

This is part of the marketing process also.  It’s referred to as the “Post-Oscar Bump” in the case of films, as many of them see increased viewership in the days and weeks after the awards.

• Like 2

Of course, these actors will be highlighted and there will be an indication of who designed the clothes and jewelry. I think every actor dreams of standing up there once and being able to say thank you for being awarded a coveted prize.
We know that PMT dreamed of it too, but unfortunately this dream did not come true for him.
But I had the impression that the main post was also about whether it makes sense to show shows in these times where glamor is at the top and every detail shows how much money is involved, while the normal population has to tighten their belts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christine said:

Of course, these actors will be highlighted and there will be an indication of who designed the clothes and jewelry. I think every actor dreams of standing up there once and being able to say thank you for being awarded a coveted prize.
We know that PMT dreamed of it too, but unfortunately this dream did not come true for him.
But I had the impression that the main post was also about whether it makes sense to show shows in these times where glamor is at the top and every detail shows how much money is involved, while the normal population has to tighten their belts.

Right, it isn't that even people who don't view these shows have a problem with them at large, it's just that as things stand in society currently that people might be a little turned off by the gaudy nature of an event such as The Golden Globes.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I don't have a problem with people accepting awards. I just don't think it's the right time.  So many things in the world have been cancelled or postponed due to this virus.  Why do we have to watch a bunch of millionaires strut the red carpet while way too many families don't know where their next meal is coming from.   

I commend the celebrities who give back and donate their time and money to help people.  In my opinion, they should ALL be doing it. And that includes people in pro sports too!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I don't have a problem with people accepting awards. I just don't think it's the right time.  So many things in the world have been cancelled or postponed due to this virus.  Why do we have to watch a bunch of millionaires strut the red carpet while way too many families don't know where their next meal is coming from.   

I commend the celebrities who give back and donate their time and money to help people.  In my opinion, they should ALL be doing it. And that includes people in pro sports too!

I totally see your point; if I was one to view those type of shows, I wouldn't see myself currently being up to it. It was like when my mother passed away at the end of July 2017; for the rest of the year there were a lot of things that I just didn't feel up to at that time or it felt like I was forcing things if I attempted them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christine said:

He had dreams of the EGOT, if I remember correctly... the big four performance awards in the US.  He even showed a necklace he wore with those letters on it in an interview once.

• Like 1

Just now, pahonu said:

He had dreams of the EGOT, if I remember correctly... the big four performance awards in the US.  He even showed a necklace he wore with those letters on it in an interview once.

I was thinking of the EGOT thing just yesterday, in matter of fact. The phrase still lives on, so PMT still created something everlasting, even if he didn't end up a recipient of such honors.

• Like 2

vor 2 Minuten schrieb pahonu:

Right, he dreamed of getting those four big prizes, but in the end he would probably have been happy to have at least one of those prizes.

• Like 2

Arguing about the timing is a valid point.  It could also be argued that for those individuals who enjoy Hollywood and all the trappings of celebrity and fame, it might be something they see as normalizing.  Just as many argue keeping pro sports going brings a feeling of normalcy to these difficult times.  I don’t really feel that way about Hollywood or pro sports for that matter, but many tens of millions of people probably do.  

• Like 1

Just now, pahonu said:

Arguing about the timing is a valid point.  It could also be argued that for those individuals who enjoy Hollywood and all the trappings of celebrity and fame, it might be something they see as normalizing.  Just as many argue keeping pro sports going brings a feeling of normalcy to these difficult times.  I don’t really feel that way about Hollywood or pro sports for that matter, but many tens of millions of people probably do.  

I think that's a good point on both ends: there are those who prefer the accustomed normalcy, while others feel it's, if not inappropriate, but maybe inconsiderate. I was curious to see what the NFL did with itself in 2020, and although there were many bumps in the road, I suppose it worked out reasonably well. Myself though? I would've cancelled the 2020 season, but I harbor no grudge against the league for deciding to have a season, but I still see the move as forcing normalcy that just wasn't there (money was also a major factor in that decision, likely more than stubbornness or the need to fill a void was).

Especially in relation to professional sport, many people find it a mockery that people talk about extremely high salaries, but we already had that topic.
Of course, we'd all like to get back to normal and, yes, for many, sporting events are part of their normality. For others, it is such gala events or being able to go shopping.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Just a reminder for those who don't know what EGOT is.  It stands for the 4 awards,  Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony.

PMT's goal was to either win or at least be nominated for all 4   ;)

• Like 3

sorry to be blunt but as long as problems of ordinary people (e.g. kids that are not allowed to do their regular club sports, even tennis where there is no personal contact, adult theater actors who may not work or rehearse at all) under Covid are not considered and treated properly, I will not care one second about Hollywood celebrities, professional soccer players or party girls whining about their hard life or cancelled events.

As Zito would have said now: the world is currently out-of-whack. We urgently need to get rationality and empathy back and kick out the populists, rich ignorants and people making their living only with bad news or the bad fate of others.

• Like 5

But bad news and celebrity gossip are what sells...and what keeps certain elements in their comfortable positions. Ordinary people? They're handy for delivering one's mail-order groceries...

• Like 1