Thoughts on Covid 19

Ferrariman

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Robbie C.:

But bad news and celebrity gossip are what sells...

----but only if the bored audience all reacts on this click-bait sh....t. If we ignore it and not tune in, this will not sell=pay off any more... 

• Like 3

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Robbie C.:

But bad news and celebrity gossip are what sells...and what keeps certain elements in their comfortable positions. Ordinary people? They're handy for delivering one's mail-order groceries...

In principle you are right, of course, but normal people can no longer order anything by mail order if they have no more work because the lockdown continues. I think there is no magic bullet, but I hear doctors, politicians and scientists who make a lot of money every month keep saying that you shouldn't loosen anything. I would like to know if these people would still say that if they had been earning a fraction of their normal salary or nothing at all for months.
Such statements just make me angry because they come from people who have no idea how normal people are doing.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Christine said:

In principle you are right, of course, but normal people can no longer order anything by mail order if they have no more work because the lockdown continues. I think there is no magic bullet, but I hear doctors, politicians and scientists who make a lot of money every month keep saying that you shouldn't loosen anything. I would like to know if these people would still say that if they had been earning a fraction of their normal salary or nothing at all for months.
Such statements just make me angry because they come from people who have no idea how normal people are doing.

And that's my point. They're fine keeping everyone locked down so long as it doesn't interfere with their deliveries, which are being done by ordinary people (who are paid a fraction of what the people they're delivering to make). I know where I work there hasn't been a speck of hazard pay or anything else, even though we're declared essential workers and must show up. My particular area isn't given the option to work from home, although there are providers who have been doing so for months.

• Like 2

My neighbor is a hairdresser and has been able to work again since yesterday, her husband works .. no idea what in a company that has been doing short-time work since March 2020. I am a geriatric nurse myself and as such, of course, I cannot work from home.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 4:42 PM, Tom said:

sorry to be blunt but as long as problems of ordinary people (e.g. kids that are not allowed to do their regular club sports, even tennis where there is no personal contact, adult theater actors who may not work or rehearse at all) under Covid are not considered and treated properly, I will not care one second about Hollywood celebrities, professional soccer players or party girls whining about their hard life or cancelled events.

As Zito would have said now: the world is currently out-of-whack. We urgently need to get rationality and empathy back and kick out the populists, rich ignorants and people making their living only with bad news or the bad fate of others.

Yeah, Zito would definitely say things are out of whack, like a combination of the gas bill left in the mailbox of his destroyed house and Stan dating Darlene. In matter of fact, I think Darlene may be running things...again.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Christine I just read that the German Government is suspending coronavirus vaccinations with AstraZeneca as a precautionary measure.  Hope this does not adversely affect you.

That's right. All vaccinations with AstraZenica were stopped because a total of 7 people worldwide developed cerebral venous thrombosis. Three died. Many here are very upset about this, because every year, for example, 1100 women who took the birth control pill also die from thrombosis. This has been happening for several decades without anyone coming up with the idea of banning the pill.
Now the idea is to talk about whether everyone can decide for themselves whether they want to have the second vaccination or not. I think if it comes to that, people will have to sign to do it on their own responsibility so that the pharmaceutical companies are safe from lawsuits. 
My second vaccination is not due until mid-May. I hope there will have been a decision by then.

Edited by Christine
  • Like 3

vor 3 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

I need a geriatric nurse.  :sick:

I´m a geriatric nurse, but unfortunately I´m too far away. But what has happened?

Today was the big meeting to determine whether to continue vaccinating with AstraZenica or not. It was decided that the vaccine should continue to be used and vaccinations should be resumed because the benefit of vaccination is greater than the harm that can occur.

It is also being discussed whether there should be a special vaccination card in which the Covid tests performed should also be entered. Those who have this vaccination card should also be allowed to travel. So your chances of being allowed to travel to Germany are increasing, Jim.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Christine said:

I´m a geriatric nurse, but unfortunately I´m too far away. But what has happened?

I think he's making a comment about his age...

• Like 3

On 3/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, Robbie C. said:

I think he's making a comment about his age...

Christine - good news about travel to Germany - thanks.  I was not totally serious about needing a nurse - just a little black humor.  It's true I'm not a kid anymore but, praise the Lord, no life threatening or debilitating medical problems.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gradually, I can't get out of shaking my head. At first it was said that Astra Zenica was only suitable for people between 18 and 64. Shortly after I received the first injection, vaccinations with the drug were stopped because some people had fallen ill with brain thrombosis or even died. A lot of vaccine was thrown away.
A week later, it was said that AstraZenica would be used again, because side effects - even severe ones - could eventually occur with any drug.
As of today, the vaccine has been withdrawn from the market again because - if I have heard correctly - two people aged 47 have died.
The latest news was that AstraZenica may now only be given to people over the age of 64. And that is exactly the group that was not allowed to get it in the beginning under any circumstances. Totally crazy!

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

However what still bothers me is what two of my customers told me.  They are nurses with over 50 years of experience between them.  They told me they have seen false reporting of deaths being listed as Covid because the hospitals they work for will get more insurance money.  So what is the REAL death numbers?  I think we may never know. 

Certainly in the UK the figures for both positive tests and fatalities are coming under close scrutiny and not before time. The PCR test was described by its originator  as not suitable for diagnosis as it is likely to return false positives  and also the so called covid deaths were counted as death FROM ANY CAUSE (!!!!!!) as long as it was  within 28 days (I think it might even be 60 days now) of an (iffy) positive test! What's scientific or accurate about any of that? Also, amazingly, there appear to have been no flu deaths either.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb wolfie1996:

Also, amazingly, there appear to have been no flu deaths either.

I think that has a lot to do with the hygiene concepts, the mask requirement and the distance rules. The flu virus can therefore not spread so well and therefore there are fewer cases

2 minutes ago, Christine said:

I think that has a lot to do with the hygiene concepts, the mask requirement and the distance rules. The flu virus can therefore not spread so well and therefore there are fewer cases

I think it has more to do with flu deaths being called covid ones.

Gerade eben schrieb wolfie1996:

I think it has more to do with flu deaths being called covid ones.

This is also possible. I think it has possibly to do with both things. What is difficult for me is that I have already received the first dose of Astra Zenica. The appointment for the second one is in May. I hope that the government has decided how to continue with the vaccination until then. 
What annoys me is that they decide to stop the vaccination with Astra Zenica and throw all the doses in the dustbins. That´s a lot of money that´s thrown away and many people wait in vain for their vaccination.

• Like 1

Question to all others: many people who had the AstroZeneca vaccination here told me that the had severe side effects (hot/cold rashes or temperature feelings, fever up to 40C) for 1-3 days. Men, women, many age groups. I personally know at least 10 persons who had these side effects. My daughter told me all her teachers in school who got vaccinated had these issues and were on sick leave. 

What is your experience? Similar stories from friends and relatives about this specific vaccine? (I heard no such side effects for all others, my 75y+ old parents got their shots this week with Pfizer vaccine and no problems at all!)

P.S. no product bashing, just wanted to understand and compare in case we can select the vaccine (my parents could).

Thanks!

As with all medications, everyone reacts differently. I was vaccinated with Astra Zenica and my only reaction was excessive fatigue. My arm did not hurt, nor did I have flu-like symptoms.
My son and his girlfriend (they volunteer with disabled people) had mild pain at the vaccination site and some headache, while my younger daughter had fever, chills, headache and aching limbs.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Christine:

As with all medications, everyone reacts differently. I was vaccinated with Astra Zenica and my only reaction was excessive fatigue. My arm did not hurt, nor did I have flu-like symptoms.
My son and his girlfriend (they volunteer with disabled people) had mild pain at the vaccination site and some headache, while my younger daughter had fever, chills, headache and aching limbs.

ok thanks! What baffled me was the high proportion of (the same) side effects.

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Tom:

ok thanks! What baffled me was the high proportion of (the same) side effects.

Some doctors say if you have side effects, the vaccine works. Sometimes that sounds a bit cynical, especially when someone is really bad.However, it is not surprising that many people have similar symptoms, because Covid does cause flu-like symptoms, and depending on the vaccine, these symptoms occur (usually in an attenuated) form. 

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Christine:

Some doctors say if you have side effects, the vaccine works. Sometimes that sounds a bit cynical, especially when someone is really bad.

Interesting as I hardly ever heard about side effects with Pfizer which has (due to many studies) 95% effectiveness which is much higher percentage of effectiveness than Astro Zeneca´s.

I heard that some people may have problems with the second vaccination due to Biontec Pfizer. However, my patients (the oldest is 97) had at most some muscle pain in the arm. However, I believe that the Biontec Pfizer and Astra Zenica vaccines are based on different principles. BIontec contains a protein that helps prevent the virus from replicating, while Astra Zenica contains killed virus. If I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Question to all others: many people who had the AstroZeneca vaccination here told me that the had severe side effects (hot/cold rashes or temperature feelings, fever up to 40C) for 1-3 days. Men, women, many age groups. I personally know at least 10 persons who had these side effects. My daughter told me all her teachers in school who got vaccinated had these issues and were on sick leave. 

What is your experience? Similar stories from friends and relatives about this specific vaccine? (I heard no such side effects for all others, my 75y+ old parents got their shots this week with Pfizer vaccine and no problems at all!)

P.S. no product bashing, just wanted to understand and compare in case we can select the vaccine (my parents could).

Thanks!

Another thing to consider among many variables, is that the elderly have weaker immune systems in general, simply from age.  That’s why they’re more vulnerable to severe symptoms or even deadly flu cases.  This weaker immune system leads to a lower immune response to vaccinations compared to other populations.  That means fewer symptoms associated with immune response, like fever, aches, etc...  

• Like 1