What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

The story goes that Madonna is a big fan of the Pet Shop Boys, and during the recording of the album "Confessions On A Dancefloor", she said she wanted to do a track that would sound like the Pet Shop Boys. Which resulted in "Jump", which sounds more than just vaguely like "West End Girls".

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Madonna dancing looks a bit ridiculous at her age and lets put some parkour in because that use to be hip.:D I remember watching a doc about the Pet Shop Boys and they spoke about the new york producer Bobby Orlando was a big influence on their sound and how think they chose to work with him. The other big producer of the eighties was Jellybean Benitez and Madonna had a relationship with him. She's always hired the top talent. In the late nineties she had Sasha who was biggest DJ at the time and second only to Paul Oakenfold working as producer and keeping her fresh.

This is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. 

Edited by Marc

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Marc:

Madonna dancing looks a bit ridiculous at her age and lets put some parkour in because that use to be hip.:D

You have to hand it to her though... she was in great shape for a gal pushing 50 at the time... and continues to be in the present.

It's safe to say that some of her multi million dollar fortune has been going into keeping her appearing improbably young for some time now :)

Her genius, though, has been that she has kept reinventing herself for generation after generation of young people. Tracks like "Jump" were aimed at the youth/young adult market of 2005, not at her middle-aged contemporaries who started buying her records in the early 80s. Staying relevant for the youth market is a trick that becomes harder to pull off with every year that you age, but that's where the real money always is.  Making albums that won't chart, for a small but loyal fan base that has aged with you, doesn't earn you the big paychecks. So kudos to her for that.

She actually also invited the Pet Shop Boys to do a remix of the track "Sorry" from the "Confessions..." album... with Neil Tennant providing backing vocals:

9 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

gotta love that electric piano... :thumbsup:

Yes I also like that 

The electric piano is an instrument I like hearing in songs. 

Two songs that sound almost exactly the same but couldn't be further apart... :)

Somebody on youtube even attempted a mashup... with decent enough results...  :thumbsup:

Edited by Daytona74

One of the more offbeat tracks on the "Stella" album, which also contained "Desire" from MV season three.

I think this was done entirely on the Fairlight CMI...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Never heard of this band before. Absolutely love this hearing it the for the first time now.

I agree  - interesting I had never heard also. 

Just noticed that the drum pattern on the score from Whatever Works sounds a lot like it was influenced by the opening guitar hook and rhythmic elements from Voodoo Child... does anybody else hear it?

Isn't Jan Hammer a declared big fan of Jimi Hendrix?