What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

10 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

It did make a prominent appearance in an episode of Magnum PI.  I think Magnum was copying some success elements of Vice in that ep.

Oh wow. Didn't know that! I'll have to check it out! 

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Oh wow. Didn't know that! I'll have to check it out! 

It's from Death and Taxes, and from Magnum Mania:

"This episode has a noticable Miami Vice "vibe" to it, a show that debuted two years prior. Similiar to Miami Vice, it has many night scenes, a wild, freaky killer, a gritty feel, a modern, synth-driven score, and song-length musical scenes featuring Phil Collins (which Miami Vice had a plently, most famously in their pilot episode). " and

"The Genesis song "Mama" (from their 1983 self-titled album) is heard in its entirety (and used to great effect) in a sequence shot with Magnum searching for The Ripper's next victim. Following in the footsteps of Miami Vice, this is the first time the show has featured a contemporary pop/rock song as in-episode music, and was one of the first TV shows to do so. Genesis songs will be featured in two more upcoming episodes ("Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" in "Laura" and "The Brazilian" in "Unfinished Business", both from their 1986 album Invisible Touch)."

per http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season7/Death_and_Taxes.html

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for the copy/paste. 

It seems Magnum P. I. chose two other overlooked PC(/Genesis) songs also. So many of those! :D 

Welcome and this ep was the first one produced by Selleck. I think he was tuned into Vice.

I remember the ep with The Brazilian but not the other with Tonight... .

I was going to say it would explain why they didn't use "Mama" in Miami Vice as well, but then again, apparently the Magnum episode Death and Taxes premiered in October, 1986. So "Vice" would have had a head start of two years. Or maybe after it was on Magnum PI, they didn't want to use it on "Vice" as well...

"Mama" definitely has kind of a season one or two vibe to it, though.  I don't know... it somehow just screams nighttime Daytona car chase scene :)

• Like 2

Just now, Daytona74 said:

it somehow just screams nighttime Daytona car chase scene :)

...complete with on-foot approach to final drug lord meet as the drums are rocking out for the second half. 

I wish I had the money/resources to produce the YouTube video this song deserves!

One way would be to just pick out a dozen scenes or so from the DVDs and throw the music onto them... a bit like that "Made For Each Other" video by Junkie XL.

Is there a good freeware video editing software that can do that nowadays? I used to work with Adobe Premiere now and then, but that was ten years ago and I don't have a license anymore...

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Awesome! Thanks for the copy/paste. 

It seems Magnum P. I. chose two other overlooked PC(/Genesis) songs also. So many of those! :D 

This peaked my interest so I'm watching Death and Taxes now on Comcast on-demand. It really is a Vice-like episode, and much more dark and gritty than many Magnum eps.

They did a great job of blending in Mama as Magnum is following the clues of the Ripper....and it is a long song.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I used to love Evanescence... Amy Lee was smoking hot back in those days... :thumbsup:

Here's a pretty powerful song I discovered just the other day... pretty awesome Supremes cover...

I can only imagine that this is what people got high to in 1968... :)

That Vanilla Fudge song is in Mafia III, and I was also watching the movie "War Dogs" the other night and the song was in that also.

That version is doing its rounds these days, considering that 6 months ago I had never heard their version before.

5 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Still superior to the Gary Jules cover version... :thumbsup:

I didn't know, that this was the original song. First time I heard it by Gary Jules was in the movie Donnie Darko. And comparing those two versions, the cover by Gary Jules sounds much sadder being sung in a slower tempo.   

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I didn't know, that this was the original song. First time I heard it by Gary Jules was in the movie Donnie Darko. And comparing those two versions, the cover by Gary Jules sounds much sadder being sung in a slower tempo.   

Great song ! Still a mad world all these years later !:D:)

7 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

also not a bad cover version... :thumbsup:

Aha this is the version I know!!! When I heard the Vanilla fudge and the Supremes versions in Mafia 3, i was like "hmm..this is really familiar"

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Aha this is the version I know!!! When I heard the Vanilla fudge and the Supremes versions in Mafia 3, i was like "hmm..this is really familiar"

Haha, I knew about the Supremes, not about Vanilla Fudge. I think I first heard the Supremes' version on a Wolfman Jack tape a few years ago.

But how about Rod Stewart?

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

Pretty nice use of a Mellotron... :thumbsup: which had kind of already fallen out of fashion again by 1981...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellotron

And for those into older music, the mellotron was a staple instrument of the Moody Blues. I didn't realize Genesis also used it.

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

And for those into older music, the mellotron was a staple instrument of the Moody Blues.

Yeah... "Nights In White Satin". One of the greatest pieces of music of the entire 60s. :thumbsup:

I guess you could say that if the Fairlight defined 80s sound and the Moog defined the 70s, then that's at least partly true as well for the Mellotron and the second half of the 60s.

There's a product range of digital Mellotrons on the market these days that have all the sounds of the original Mellotron on them in digital 24-bit PCM. And apparently, they've even kept some of the "quirks" of the original Mellotron. Must be a pretty interesting piece of kit to own... and apparently it has already been used by people like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruno Mars.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1