What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck - MV and NY themes live from Japan -1986 - audio only

Idk if these have been posted here before, but YouTube just suggested them to me, and I've certainly never seen them. Just wanted to share in case there was anyone else here who hadn't seen them. 

Jeff's solos are amazing (as always):

(First one is MV original theme. The NY Theme is th second one)  

• Like 1

A minor hit when it came out, this song disappeared into obscurity again until quite recently:

As far as Mike Oldfield songs go, I think this really isn't bad... also, notice what was probably considered kick ass computer animation in 1985... :) 

It also featured Norwegian born Anita Hegerland, donning a killer Spandex top and Dynasty hair there... :) who was a childhood star in Germany in the early 70s and who would work with Mike Oldfield again on the album "Earth Moving".

Edited by Daytona74

1 hour ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Watched "The Thing" for the first time earlier. Great movie. 10/10 briliant synth score too.

It had that effect on you too?

Simply one of the most terriffying movie themes I have ever heard. The Thing (1982 version) is still one of very few horror/sci-fi films that I still not feel all that safe, watching alone at night time. The film just sucks you right in from the very beginning with that theme, and not many horror films does that and also holds you in its tight grip throughout the whole entire run.

It really was an awesome movie. Was watching it in the middle of the day with my family running around being noisy so feel like it lost some of the scariness but still found it riveting and on the edge of my seat the whole time.

My favourite part is when Kurt Russell's testing all the blood samples by sticking a red hot metal rod into them and unwittingly finding the creature in someone he didn't expect, That's how you do a jump scare, almost fell out of my chair:)

Gotta give a shout out to the animatronics/special effects too. The monster thing still looks great in all it's different forms. Must of been a pain in the arse to work with.

--

Need to watch more Carpenter films.

30 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

It really was an awesome movie. Was watching it in the middle of the day with my family running around being noisy so feel like it lost some of the scariness but still found it riveting and on the edge of my seat the whole time. 

That's when you know you are watching a truly great horror film, when even in daylight, surrounded by your loved ones, it still gets under your skin. Sadly, most horror movies these days are almost bad comedies compared and the whole less is more are often ignored. But yeah, when we see one of the many imitations done by the Thing, they are really great and scary looking even by todays "standards". 

My favorite part, are probably the scene were they end up discovering the horrifying fate that met the doomed norwegian camp, and the true terror that must have taken place there, as they find one of the poor victims who sits in a chair and has slit his own wrists.  

There was a lot bad and cheap E.T. clones coming out in the early 80s, and then at the same time you had sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and The Thing, not exactly your typical lovable family sci-fi films. Another evil alien sci-fi flick that seems to be more or less forgotten these days, is the british sci-fi horror film, Xtro (1983), and while not on the same level at as The Thing, it does contain some rather nasty surprises and I remember it packing a great and chilling atmosphere.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, Tony D. said:

3 hours ago, MTVcops said:

I always liked this song. Most of Huey Lewis' songs.

Edited by Tony D.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Dadrian said:

Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck - MV and NY themes live from Japan -1986 - audio only

Idk if these have been posted here before, but YouTube just suggested them to me, and I've certainly never seen them. Just wanted to share in case there was anyone else here who hadn't seen them. 

Jeff's solos are amazing (as always):

(First one is MV original theme. The NY Theme is th second one)  

Very cool guitar solo! :cool: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

RIP John Wetton ;( who along with another recently fallen prog hero, Greg Lake stood among as two of the best prog-rock vocalist/songwriters of the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

Is this one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded or what... :thumbsup:

It is said that Bob Dylan was so impressed with this version that he started playing the song this way at his own concerts...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ArtieRollins said:

RIP John Wetton ;( who along with another recently fallen prog hero, Greg Lake stood among as two of the best prog-rock vocalist/songwriters of the 70s and 80s.

I had the pleasure of seeing Greg Lake perform with ELP many moons ago...it was like nothing I had ever heard or seen before. An early version of one of his classics.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

Sounds a lot like "Come As You Are" by Nirvana!

Or The Damned - Life Goes On (1982)

And by the look of it, the uploader of the video/song has probably gotten tired of the whole debate surrounding which version came first, was best and so on, anyway, I like them all, but Killing Joke is my favorite one.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Touch of Class:

Depeche Mode's latest single. Any thoughts?

Hm... I am always torn when it comes to Depeche Mode's newer stuff.

I'm a huge fan of just about everything they did in the 80s and 90s. But from "Exciter" onward, it just never really did much for me anymore.

DM in the 80s and to a lesser degree in the 90s was way ahead of the curve and helped shape an entire genre of music with their sound. Nowadays, realistically, you can't tell Depeche Mode's sound from a few dozen other electronic music acts anymore.

• Like 2