What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

I'm a huge fan of just about everything they did in the 80s and 90s. But from "Exciter" onward, it just never really did much for me anymore.

DM in the 80s and to a lesser degree in the 90s was way ahead of the curve and helped shape an entire genre of music with their sound. Nowadays, realistically, you can't tell Depeche Mode's sound from a few dozen other electronic music acts anymore.

My sentiments exactly. Most of the songs they produced in the 20th century are classics; but since Exciter, I haven't found their music as gripping. And I'm not sure what's to blame -- is it Martin Gore's songwriting, or the producers that DM works with? I think it's important that producers 'get' the feeling of Gore's songs, and that they accentuate the melodies.

But I'm afraid their latest offerings have been trying too hard to sound 'contemporary' (for some unfathomable reason), and so their sound is no longer as distinctive as it used to be.

I've got this song on one of my playlists in my car... this is just all around nice car driving music... gets you in a good mood when you're behind the wheel... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Am 3.2.2017 um 15:50 schrieb Touch of Class:

And I'm not sure what's to blame -- is it Martin Gore's songwriting, or the producers that DM works with? I think it's important that producers 'get' the feeling of Gore's songs, and that they accentuate the melodies.

But I'm afraid their latest offerings have been trying too hard to sound 'contemporary' (for some unfathomable reason), and so their sound is no longer as distinctive as it used to be.

I saw a documentary on the history of pop music the other week, and they had a producer (forgot the name) who said most artists will have written their best songs by age 30 and then they lose their edge.

I guess you have to be young and willing to push boundaries with your music. To do things nobody has tried before. And when you look at many middle aged artists, indeed they put out some very remarkable songs in their 20s, but then start mellowing out in their 30s and if they don't retire from the business, their music can start to sound uninspired to everybody who wasn't a fan previously.

I guess you can't keep ahead of the curve forever. As with many things. Look at "Vice". Groundbreaking and light years ahead in the beginning, but towards the end falling ever further behind the curve...

Edited by Daytona74

"Diesel and Dust" to me was one of the most remarkable mainstream rock albums of the late 80s/early 90s.

And I've also always admired singer Peter Garrett's environmental and human rights activism.

"Music for the Masses" is my all time favorite Depeche Mode album. Apparently, "Violator" is their highest selling album to date, but "Music for the Masses" to me marks the point in time when Depeche Mode's 80s synth sound was at its highest level of perfection.

8 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

"Music for the Masses" is my all time favorite Depeche Mode album. Apparently, "Violator" is their highest selling album to date, but "Music for the Masses" to me marks the point in time when Depeche Mode's 80s synth sound was at its highest level of perfection.

Great song!

The anecdote here was that Madonna told her production crew during the making of "Confessions on a Dancefloor" that she was a big fan of the Pet Shop Boys, and that she wanted to do a track that would be a hommage to the way they sounded. And therefore, "Jump" sounds like a reworked version of "West End Girls":

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Eh, not a fan of this mix. The original is one of my favourite songs of all time though.

----

What I'm listening to...

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, Dadrian said:

:clap::clap::clap:

I always loved those long flowing guitar licks by Django. :thumbsup:  The amazing thing is the 4th & 5th fingers on his left hand were paralyzed.

6 hours ago, daytona365 said:

the late Miguel Ferrer and Edward James Olmos appear in the video to this wonderful melancholic Toto song from 1995:

He doesn't look like Lt. Castillo in this video. ;)

P.S. - I'm not too sure of the meaning of this video. ?(

1 hour ago, Tony D. said:

I always loved those long flowing guitar licks by Django. :thumbsup:  The amazing thing is the 4th & 5th fingers on his left hand were paralyzed.

I know!! Just unbelievable!