Thoughts on Covid 19

Ferrariman

On 8/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, Ferrariman said:

We’re all for freedom but in my opinion, some freedoms should end when it effects other people’s lives.  We accept the fact that you can’t smoke indoors because it affects other people’s health. Why should this be any different?  I don’t think this whole mess would be as bad as it is without political interference. 

Yeah, I think political interference does make many of the population reluctant, especially in the U.S. (I feel America began losing it's faith in government leadership since the one-two punch of Vietnam/Nixon). But, as U.S. citizens basically govern themselves (I do think "We the People" holds true), the people must do the right thing to take care of themselves and others in the best way possible to provide the best outcome available (didn't mean to sound like Jerry Springer there!).

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i won't laugh, because it's a real tragedy, but there's a part deep in me that wants to mock. it's so dumb. The internet is full of these. The delta is a ruthless hunter. And it's sad that some people need to see their idols die, to land back into reality

BNvIAHZ.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i won't laugh, because it's a real tragedy, but there's a part deep in me that wants to mock. it's so dumb. The internet is full of these. The delta is a ruthless hunter. And it's sad that some people need to see their idols die, to land back into reality

BNvIAHZ.png

I was just talking to a colleague yesterday after we found out a coworker’s husband had died of Covid.    He said that her husband was the first individual he knew personally that had died and it felt so much more real when it hit close.  I mentioned that neighbors my wife and I knew for over 20 years died just a few months after the pandemic started in 2020, and how it hit pretty hard and likely affected our perspective.  My point is that for many, it probably doesn’t seem real or as critical until they experience it personally.  I don’t know why some individuals struggle to comprehend the reality until it hits them, but I think it is the case for many.  Unfortunately, in these circumstances the consequences can be deadly.  Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

• Administrators

It’s just sad but as time goes on I have less and less sympathy.  There’s literally a ton of information on everything related to COVID and vaccines.  There is just no reason for this to be happening anymore.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pahonu said:

I was just talking to a colleague yesterday after we found out a coworker’s husband had died of Covid.    He said that her husband was the first individual he knew personally that had died and it felt so much more real when it hit close.  I mentioned that neighbors my wife and I knew for over 20 years died just a few months after the pandemic started in 2020, and how it hit pretty hard and likely affected our perspective.  My point is that for many, it probably doesn’t seem real or as critical until they experience it personally.  I don’t know why some individuals struggle to comprehend the reality until it hits them, but I think it is the case for many.  Unfortunately, in these circumstances the consequences can be deadly.  Just some thoughts.

this is a question that i've been asking to myself for a while now. What causes some people to suddenly choose to live into an alternate reality. Is the life for these too harsh that they decide at some point to disconnect from reality. I'm just trying an evaluation here. But i suspect the answer is more complicated; because if not, we would have had the answer already

11 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

It’s just sad but as time goes on I have less and less sympathy.  There’s literally a ton of information on everything related to COVID and vaccines.  There is just no reason for this to be happening anymore.

we are forced to agree. what bothers me with that thing, it's that if they choose to suicide, it's up to them, but they will occupy beds destined to cancer patients waiting to be operated

• Like 3

These individuals who still oppose vaccination are, unfortunately, everywhere. They still talk about possible late effects of vaccination, which makes it clear that they have not dealt with the mode of action of vaccination at all. They rail against the fact that from October in Germany they will have to pay for their rapid tests themselves and will no longer be covered by health insurance, and they complain about the fact that only vaccinated people and genesis are admitted to many events.
At the moment, most of them are concerned that even vaccinated people can fall ill. They still do not understand that the course of the disease is much milder.
Funny I found a post of an acquaintance who looked at the topic ironically.:p She wrote that she had found out that in 1874 everyone was forced to be vaccinated against smallpox in order to control the pandemic at that time. Everyone had since died and she was apparently on the trail of a big mess.:dance2::dance2::dance2:

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Christine said:

they complain about the fact that only vaccinated people and genesis are admitted to many events.

Well there’s a simple solution for that!  I’m hoping that these limitations will persuade people to do the right thing. As I said before, I have NO sympathy for those that refuse to vaccinate without a legitimate reason.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2021 at 6:24 AM, jpaul1 said:

this is a question that i've been asking to myself for a while now. What causes some people to suddenly choose to live into an alternate reality. Is the life for these too harsh that they decide at some point to disconnect from reality. I'm just trying an evaluation here. But i suspect the answer is more complicated; because if not, we would have had the answer already

I think the ability to "switch" to an alternate reality whenever it appeals to us (even switch-on-the-fly while you're walking down the street or riding a subway train) goes way back to the W.W.W.  The internet wasn't originally designed to put a spin on our consciousness... BUT, once marketing companies realized the internet could be used to survey your hobbies/tastes in order to sell more things to you, to derail you into participating in and buying things you had no intention of getting involved in when you got on the internet this morning, and could use games or scandalous writings and images to sideline you for hours from the responsibilities and errands of your REAL lives (much like a person might binge on alcohol for days at a time to sideline himself from his real life)---and later be able to extend that internet experience into our PHONES via everything from angry bird apps to snapchat, yadda yadda.... over the years we folks learned that we can just switch to being THERE in that alternate mindset whenever we don't want to be out HERE where we have real responsibilities in life, and have family and strangers depending daily on us to think responsibly and caringly about them.  

A little bit of selfishness is actually a healthy, therapeutic thing for a human being.  But regular or constant selfishness is the bad trait that we've always tried to warn folks against, basically because it always hurts so many bystander folks on so many levels.  And that alternate-reality feature that most of us have developed (not ALL of us yet, but who knows how far bad habits will spread in all of us), is just a selfish desire to please myself and disregard any real responsibilities I have to my family and others, right?

We have a tremendously long way to go to get out of this pandemic.   We have to keep in mind that (regardless of whether you like the W.H.O. or not) we need INTERNATIONAL experts to help us know when a new medicine or an ongoing safety measure is working or not---no one country can talk just to itself and not truly (TRULY, not just a token donation) help trace and cure other countries.  

We have to keep in mind that if Country-B erases all covid from its population (vaccines, herd immunity, whatever), but it has to buy its rubber from Country-C and Country-C is due to get ravaged by covid next year, as Country-C dies, Country-B's economy will be ravaged too...

We have to keep in mind that "the vaccines" given to us so far, are meant to help you after your get infected---not keep you from getting infected and dangerously passing the germ around to others until one of them (or perhaps YOU already) produces the next "P" variant or "R" variant in your own lungs and....uugh.  This shouldn't just be an argument about vaccines or an issue about masks alone---it has to be about distancing, and cleaning, and yes, masking too.  But ALL of it, or else none of these things left to operate by itself can make any real difference to what's spreading out there.  

We have to keep in mind something I was only reminded of last week:  that in America, your personal rights are ATTACHED to public responsibilities.  The cop down the street didn't arrest you because you were exercising your right to drink a beer---he arrested you because at the same time you disobeyed your responsibility not to drive on the street while you were drinking the beer.  Yes, I have a right not to get a vaccine,....but if I don't get one, something ought to make me feel obligated to keep away from folks entirely, stay home even more frequently, wear a visor in addition to a mask, to somehow make-up for and preserve the responsibility I feel  for others' safety. 

But there's just so much of the "alternate-reality living" you mentioned, that people prefer to switch to now, even if just to win their argument about something....  And I've written so much here.  So many words to waste.  So enormously far to go for people to even begin to align with some of the thinking I posted here.  I think it may be too far a way to go for us to make it.   

• Like 3

what bothers me it's that it's seems that 'disease' (speaking of mental disease here) seems to spread only among lower classes. each time i think about this i canno't not make the link with Hitler. Hitler spread a incredible number of bull, or other scams, still he got highly plebicited. in the 30s Germany was under heavy pressure of the war debt (a major error of the WWI winners IMO), and misery really existed back then. but the question i'm asking to myself it's is the lower classes situation that bad nowaday, or is it a caprice (of what you call the internet generation)?

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're supposed to be coming out of lockdown on October 11. I'm excited to be getting out but equally worried.

I'm concerned about seeing family and friends. I don't want to be responsible for getting anyone sick. I know the risk is reduced with the vaccine, but the fact that it is still present worries me.

I don't want to unintentionally make anyone sick.

We have had excellent vaccine uptake rates here... well over 80% 1st dose heading toward 70% second. Assuming people follow up with their second dose, we'll at least be in a better position than a lot of other places.

I'm a natural worrier though. Complacency and big gathering around christmas, coupled with the relief of having some freedoms. All I see are the potential problems.

I'm praying it all goes well for all of us.

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, fakespyder said:

We're supposed to be coming out of lockdown on October 11. I'm excited to be getting out but equally worried.

I'm concerned about seeing family and friends. I don't want to be responsible for getting anyone sick. I know the risk is reduced with the vaccine, but the fact that it is still present worries me.

I don't want to unintentionally make anyone sick.

We have had excellent vaccine uptake rates here... well over 80% 1st dose heading toward 70% second. Assuming people follow up with their second dose, we'll at least be in a better position than a lot of other places.

I'm a natural worrier though. Complacency and big gathering around christmas, coupled with the relief of having some freedoms. All I see are the potential problems.

I'm praying it all goes well for all of us.

You echo my concerns exactly.  Wife and I are fully vaccinated and yet we're hesitant about going anywhere or seeing anyone.  The vaccination numbers in Canada are also very good, similar to yours, but....  

This coming Monday 10/11/21 is Canadian Thanksgiving. We have relatives that want to come visit from several hours away but my wife and I really wish they wouldn't.  They have come in the past and stayed in a nearby hotel, which they plan to do again, but they aren't part of our social bubble.   Yes they're vaccinated but we don't know who they associate with. Their trip is mainly to see other family members but also want to stop to see us.  If the weather were warmer we could sit on our patio but it's going to be a cold rainy weekend.  So do we simply insult them and say "don't come"?  

I don't consider myself a worrier but I am maybe a bit over cautious?   

• Like 3

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

You echo my concerns exactly.  Wife and I are fully vaccinated and yet we're hesitant about going anywhere or seeing anyone.  The vaccination numbers in Canada are also very good, similar to yours, but....  

This coming Monday 10/11/21 is Canadian Thanksgiving. We have relatives that want to come visit from several hours away but my wife and I really wish they wouldn't.  They have come in the past and stayed in a nearby hotel, which they plan to do again, but they aren't part of our social bubble.   Yes they're vaccinated but we don't know who they associate with. Their trip is mainly to see other family members but also want to stop to see us.  If the weather were warmer we could sit on our patio but it's going to be a cold rainy weekend.  So do we simply insult them and say "don't come"?  

I don't consider myself a worrier but I am maybe a bit over cautious?   

I think we're all going to have trouble getting back to normal for a long time. You could say that Corona has torn us into a deep crater from which we can only crawl out again very slowly. Skepticism and fear will be with us for quite a while.
On the one hand, this reaction is completely understandable, but on the other hand, it should not remain our companion for the rest of our lives.
I myself am now going back to seeing friends and relatives I haven't seen since the beginning of the pandemic, but we are keeping our distance as far as possible. There is no cuddle party.
When I look around here (for example, when shopping), I notice that most people disregard the rules of distance. If you're standing at a shelf and don't immediately find what you're looking for, someone is guaranteed to come up behind you and almost push you into the shelf because they have to immediately reach for something that is, of course, at the top. And these are complete strangers.
Of course, with friends or relatives I haven't seen for a long time, I never know who they had contact with before, but I don't know that with my colleagues, patients or their relatives either.
Still, it's difficult for you and your wife to decide whether or not to meet them.  I wish you succeed in making the right decision without upsetting your relatives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I believe in being cautious so I'm looking forward to approval of a booster for the Moderna vaccine.  But the US has without a doubt put excessive fear of the virus behind.  For weeks now there have been huge crowds at NFL and college football games with few masks in sight.  There have been no surges as a result and things are still slowly improving - vaccination percentages are up, hospital admission rates for covid are down, inoculation for children has been approved etc etc.  Here's a recent game at the new Los Angeles Inglewood stadium with about 70k in attendance.

Inglewood-Football-Stadium.thumb.jpg.f0099a6e2d2631a9f4cd12970a4114b5.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

vor 12 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

I believe in being cautious so I'm looking forward to approval of a booster for the Moderna vaccine.  But the US has without a doubt put excessive fear of the virus behind.  For weeks now there have been huge crowds at NFL and college football games with few masks in sight.  There have been no surges as a result and things are still slowly improving - vaccination percentages are up, hospital admission rates for covid are down, inoculation for children has been approved etc etc.  Here's a recent game at the new Los Angeles Inglewood stadium with about 70k in attendance.

In Germany, too, the number of sick people who have to be treated in clinics is falling and more people are allowed to go to events again. They have to be vaccinated or recovered. A friend of mine who works in a facility for the disabled has even received her third vaccination. I will probably get mine in November, when the half year after the second vaccination is around.
However, I find it strange that the stadiums are full of people who do not wear masks and for whom distance seems to be a foreign word.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Yes things are definitely (slowly) getting better but you couldn’t pay me enough to go to a stadium with that many fans, vaccinated or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

Yes things are definitely (slowly) getting better but you couldn’t pay me enough to go to a stadium with that many fans, vaccinated or not.

I wouldn´t go there, either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I feel the same!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I wouldn't have done that pre-COVID, honestly.

Yeah, I prefer the home experience when it comes to sports myself. I never grew up going to sporting events (a few games for the AAA Baseball Buffalo Bisons, but that's about it), and what I know about it seems like a big hassle to me, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Now, I did frequent concerts, but I feel those are easier to get in and out of, and I'd rather be at a live concert than view a live concert on TV. Then again, I haven't been to a concert in a long time either:radio:.

• Like 4

Local shows have their comeback here now. On 11th of November carneval starts and my children told me yesterday that they and their friends have tickets for the event in Cologne. Of course only vaccinated and genesis are allowed.
In two weeks, the Frankfurt Book Fair will take place. This is also a very large event, to which the same group of people are admitted. 
We are very happy that events like these are allowed to take place again.
Okay, carnivals are something I personally don't need, but book fairs are something I'm happy about as an author, because it gives me a chance to reconnect with readers.

• Like 2

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, I prefer the home experience when it comes to sports myself. I never grew up going to sporting events 

Never a fan of the big 3 sports. The one sport that demands being there live is Drag Racing.  The best home theatre system in the world can’t match the thunder of a pair of nitro cars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Never a fan of the big 3 sports. The one sport that demands being there live is Drag Racing.  The best home theatre system in the world can’t match the thunder of a pair of nitro cars!

I agree in principle.  I tend to watch football games on TV, you can see more of the action including replays.  Yet I've been to quite  few games and there is hardly any experience (emotionally, visually, or sound wise) that compares with being one with a crowd of 70k plus cheering for the success of your favorite team.  European soccer fans will agree 100%.

• Like 2