Thoughts on Covid 19

Ferrariman

Just now, Christine said:

Obviously he wants to provoke and he will find enough people who like his idea and come to his pub because of it. This would only stop if they shut him down, and he would probably take legal action against that.

Yeah, I do think it will work, but I'm not sure if this guy's thinking big picture. It's like he's following a fad, and fads come and go; just not a sustainable business model.

He probably won't be shut down, but turning people off in the restaurant business (which are businesses that are difficult to maintain in terms of longevity and are based on attracting as many people of various backgrounds and opinions) when its completely unnecessary seems reckless to me. I've said this before, but I don't feel there's any need for martyrdom with COVID, we're all in the same boat here (and I want my boat full of Crockett, not crock).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Oh he's getting blasted on social media!  and of course there are those potential victims cheering him on.  ?(

I’m embarrassed to say this guy’s restaurant is about three miles south of where I live.  It’s in Orange County, a longtime conservative stronghold, though it’s changing.  Early in the pandemic, he refused to follow rules put in place about social distancing and limiting capacity.  Their Yelp page was locked because so many people gave low scores and criticized his policies.  Some people supported him. but the numbers against were FAR larger.  He has tens of thousands of unpaid fines he’s challenging for not following safety procedures.  I saw him interviewed on CNN and he sounded like an idiot, unable to explain his rational clearly.  

My wife and I have avoided that whole area because there is a sizable population of anti-mask, anti-vax, conspiracy theory types living there.  There were even a few anti-mask rallies at the pier earlier in the pandemic.  There’s also the remnants of several white supremacist groups in the area, having been very prominent in the area just a decade or two ago.  It’s the dark side of “Surf City” that many are unaware of.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Christine said:

I think it might have to do with the fact that when you vaccinate, you are interfering with a person's body. That's different from forbidding him to smoke in a pub. Governments are reluctant to make vaccination compulsory because a lot of contrarians would immediately scream that it is an intrusion into the fundamental rights of the human being.
As for this owner of the "Basilico": Let all the unvaccinated go to him and infect each other. As long as they stay away from the vaccinated mask wearers and don't scream for us to pay for their hospitalization when they get sick (in Germany, this is basically done by our health insurance companies), everything would be fine.
In our country, people who are willing to be vaccinated are now lured with vouchers and discounts for events of any kind. I shake my head just as much at that. 

There’s certainly a difference between being forbidden FROM doing something, like smoking in a restaurant, and being compelled to DO something, like vaccination.  However, there are many examples of both types of regulations in society.  The bottom line is that we have many rights, but none are unlimited.

Individuals have the right to drink alcohol above a certain age, and people have the right to drive if they get licensed, register their vehicle etc... They don’t have the right to both drink and drive and put others lives in danger.  There are limitations.  Deciding not to vaccinate is a choice, but it may place limitations on other choices, again to not put others lives in danger.  I feel like a sizable part of the population that are pushing back are doing so based on the idea that their rights are unlimited, which simply isn’t true and never has been.  It’s an overly simplistic black/white, right/wrong, good/bad way of looking at the world.  It’s also rarely if ever accurate.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, pahonu said:

I’m embarrassed to say this guy’s restaurant is about three miles south of where I live.  It’s in Orange County, a longtime conservative stronghold, though it’s changing.  Early in the pandemic, he refused to follow rules put in place about social distancing and limiting capacity.  Their Yelp page was locked because so many people gave low scores and criticized his policies.  Some people supported him. but the numbers against were FAR larger.  He has tens of thousands of unpaid fines he’s challenging for not following safety procedures.  I saw him interviewed on CNN and he sounded like an idiot, unable to explain his rational clearly.  

My wife and I have avoided that whole area because there is a sizable population of anti-mask, anti-vax, conspiracy theory types living there.  There were even a few anti-mask rallies at the pier earlier in the pandemic.  There’s also the remnants of several white supremacist groups in the area, having been very prominent in the area just a decade or two ago.  It’s the dark side of “Surf City” that many are unaware of.

Wow, I'm sorry, but the guy's ridiculous, and the concept of anti- vax/mask rallies, although I can comprehend it happened, is a total waste of time and absurd. There are plenty of things to protest (like war, hunger, everyone getting a fair shake, earth tones...kidding on the last one), but a "rally like that just seems pretty dumb to me. It's like that people who have that type of approach are looking for something to be angry about. Talk about an empty cause.

• Like 1

• Administrators

You should read the reviews on the restaurant website!  Screaming at people, throwing them out. Just unbelievably rude treatment of customers. Just about every person said they will never go back!  One person said they walked in and all the waiters were coughing like crazy, maskless of course!  Walked right back out!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

You should read the reviews on the restaurant website!  Screaming at people, throwing them out. Just unbelievably rude treatment of customers. Just about every person said they will never go back!  One person said they walked in and all the waiters were coughing like crazy, maskless of course!  Walked right back out!

That's hardcore foolishness at work right there. I mean, don't poke the bear, run the restaurant. So self-defeating and destructive. For me, I get turned off on restaurants pretty easily (I've felt too much tension at certain places due to a myriad of reasons so I just move on from it), but that kind of behavior sounds so unprofessional to me. I mean, it's a restaurant, not a city council meeting; people want to go in, enjoy their food, and move on to the next thing, not deal in inexplicable turbulence. There's a time to stand up to/for things, and then there's a time for yum yum:cheers:.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I don't understand the hesitation.  You aren't allowed to smoke in a store, restaurant, etc.  The reason being it effects the health of others.  This has become an accepted practice.  So why such hesitation to take a vaccine that will, in effect, also protect the health of others and yourself?  Surely taking the vaccine is much less harmful than smoking? 

I just saw some idiot on TV who owns an Italian restaurant named "Basilico"  in Huntington Beach, California. He has signs in his window that say "Unvaccinated people only"  and you are not allowed to wear a mask!    He claims it's all about freedom.   Freedom to get sick I guess.   Have we all truly lost our minds?!   We have the means to end this but at this pace we will never get out of this mess.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/07/27/huntington-beach-restaurant-no-vaccines/

22 hours ago, Christine said:

Obviously he wants to provoke and he will find enough people who like his idea and come to his pub because of it. This would only stop if they shut him down, and he would probably take legal action against that.

QfR9Ufd.gif

they don't want to believe the new variant is coming at them at breakneck speed. They will see

• Like 3

And you're all just giving this guy more attention.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with what comes next. The accelerating concentration of wealth (morons like Bezos and Branson going 'into space' in a conspicuous and to my mind noxious display of both privilege and hubris). The demise of small businesses. Communities being disrupted by "work from home" elites who come in and artificially elevate housing markets so people who've lived in a community for years (or decades) can't afford a home or have their rental sold out from under them. Newcomers don't tend to create new jobs...at least not the kind of jobs that let locals remain in their communities (wealthy elites tend to create service sector jobs, which don't pay enough to account for their disruption of the housing and rental market). Skyrocketing overdose deaths, domestic violence calls, and suicides. Barely acknowledged metal health costs for many people deemed "essential" and forced to work in person but forgotten as soon as the hype vanishes. Those are the kind of things that bother me.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

And you're all just giving this guy more attention.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with what comes next. The accelerating concentration of wealth (morons like Bezos and Branson going 'into space' in a conspicuous and to my mind noxious display of both privilege and hubris). The demise of small businesses. Communities being disrupted by "work from home" elites who come in and artificially elevate housing markets so people who've lived in a community for years (or decades) can't afford a home or have their rental sold out from under them. Newcomers don't tend to create new jobs...at least not the kind of jobs that let locals remain in their communities (wealthy elites tend to create service sector jobs, which don't pay enough to account for their disruption of the housing and rental market). Skyrocketing overdose deaths, domestic violence calls, and suicides. Barely acknowledged metal health costs for many people deemed "essential" and forced to work in person but forgotten as soon as the hype vanishes. Those are the kind of things that bother me.

Yes, the types of issues you highlighted are what REALLY should be talked about and what's truly important, but I do feel that restaurant owner is a shining example of someone getting bogged down by nonsense and failing to make an impact, which can also be something to be on the lookout for (I just don't understand why someone would be so bad at business like that, unless he can afford to).

• Like 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

The accelerating concentration of wealth (morons like Bezos and Branson going 'into space' in a conspicuous and to my mind noxious display of both privilege and hubris). 

This is what you do when you have too much money.  Just think of all the things that money could've been better used for.

• Like 3

Just now, Ferrariman said:

This is what you do when you have too much money.  Just think of all the things that money could've been better used for.

That's sadly accurate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I do. Frankly I think they should have just left Bezos up there.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I do. Frankly I think they should have just left Bezos up there.

Maybe he can go to Pluto, and watch over all that Plutonium (that's where Plutonium comes from right, or am I blinded by science yet again? Well, that explains why I'm hyperactive).

55 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Maybe he can go to Pluto, and watch over all that Plutonium (that's where Plutonium comes from right, or am I blinded by science yet again?

It’s where Mickey’s dog came from. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

This is true! Well, Bezos should Beware of dog then:dance:.

• Haha 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Or maybe it came from Mickey's dog?  :wuerg:

• Haha 5

What the hell is this?

"New data suggests that “fully vaccinated individuals could have higher levels of virus and infect others,” NBC News reports"

https://techstartups.com/2021/07/28/new-data-suggests-fully-vaccinated-individuals-higher-levels-virus-infect-others-nbc-news-reports/?fbclid=IwAR2zAJCJU36p0b3nOkIuhEEnIXO8s_MRO1y1BYMvuMXgFwR6JNOC7ddTB4w

49 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

What the hell is this?

"New data suggests that “fully vaccinated individuals could have higher levels of virus and infect others,” NBC News reports"

https://techstartups.com/2021/07/28/new-data-suggests-fully-vaccinated-individuals-higher-levels-virus-infect-others-nbc-news-reports/?fbclid=IwAR2zAJCJU36p0b3nOkIuhEEnIXO8s_MRO1y1BYMvuMXgFwR6JNOC7ddTB4w

It’s important to understand that vaccinated individuals can still carry the virus if they are exposed.  The viral load received and the individual’s immune response both play a role in whether the virus causes illness in that person.  It seems this data may indicate that vaccinated individuals, may carry more virus than previously thought.  The takeaway would be that unvaccinated individuals are at even higher risk of contracting the virus, as they may get it not only from the unvaccinated carriers who will become ill, but also from vaccinated individuals displaying little or no symptoms, but carrying the virus in larger amounts than previously thought.  This suggests that indoor masking is more important than ever, for both the vaccinated and especially for the unvaccinated who have no immunity.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, apocalypse said:

What the hell is this?

True, but the vaccine will still keep you out of the hospital and keep you from dying.  

• Like 6

What should not be ignored is that vaccinated people who get sick have a higher chance of not needing artificial respiration and often have a milder course.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

man who used to mock vaccine, and saying all day long that God will protect him dies of Covid

https://apnews.com/article/health-california-coronavirus-pandemic-2ee388751b58035bd5d3973854a58489

It would feel callous to "like" this news, but I have to feel like it's a kind of karma.  My thought to those who want God to protect them, while doing nothing to protect themselves:  If you believe in God, then He made the scientists and doctors who developed the vaccines, so yes--He tried to help you but you refused to accept the help that was given.

• Like 5

• Administrators
13 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

man who used to mock vaccine, and saying all day long that God will protect him dies of Covid

https://apnews.com/article/health-california-coronavirus-pandemic-2ee388751b58035bd5d3973854a58489

Oh well...  can’t feel sorry for stupid 

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

It would feel callous to "like" this news, but I have to feel like it's a kind of karma.  My thought to those who want God to protect them, while doing nothing to protect themselves:  If you believe in God, then He made the scientists and doctors who developed the vaccines, so yes--He tried to help you but you refused to accept the help that was given.

So then, didn't God also create the virus?   

Reminds me of the phrase "God helps those that help themselves"  ;)

• Like 3